Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Axestorm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:50 pm 

If you want to hear the best progressive thrash album of the year, look no further...

http://exclaim.ca/MusicVideo/ClickHear/ ... bum_stream

:headbang:

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:52 pm 

I thought they were a punk band.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Axestorm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:04 pm 

Well, essentially, yes. Their subject matter tends to be political (anarchist, vegan, feminist, gay-positive, etc.) But they are influenced by bands like Razor, Sacrifice, and Voivod. They even have a song about Sacrifice on their previous album. Lyrically, this album is less issue-oriented and more reflections on human existence. Musically it kind of walks the line between punk and metal, "progressive thrash" is really the best words for it. Riffs everywhere.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:15 pm 

I've only read about them. From what I've read, they've been adding metal influences for a couple albums now.

I shall check 'em out soon enough.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:21 am 

I will have to hear this for myself. I'm curious as to how something on the borderline of punk and metal could sound more like progressive thrash than crossover.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Axestorm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:40 am 

Since there is probably not a big Propagandhi fanbase here I'll post one song from each of their most recent 4 records.

"Back to the Motor League" (2001)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU6Ej4id2E4

"A Speculative Fiction" (2005)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HuWgP-hwCY

"Night Letters" (2009)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJWBhAcfpgs

"Failed States" (2012)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEssIdgtaH4

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:08 am 

Fun fact: Before ever hearing of this band, I once wanted to use Propagandhi for a band name. Unfortunately a google search revealed that it was already taken...

Anyway, I can't access the stream right now but I did like the sound of the trailer they put up on YouTube somewhere. As for being best prog thrash of the year, it wouldn't be too difficult. There's been little competition this year. I think the best thrash album so far is Nekromantheon's newest, which came out in like February or something and it isn't even progressive haha.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:10 am 

triggerhappy wrote:
Fun fact: Before ever hearing of this band, I once wanted to use Propagandhi for a band name. Unfortunately a google search revealed that it was already taken...

Yeah, I wanted to use 'Failed States' before I found out that charlatan Chomsky had taken it for one of his books, so I know the feeling :(

Not that it stopped this band...

I'd heard of Propagandhi over a decade ago in school, but never heard them until now. Can't hear much progressive thrash in this, it sounds like a slightly more mature version of the poppy punk I always thought they were.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:41 am 

Can't say I'm a fan of how this band progressed and I certainly wouldn't call them thrash. How to Clean Everything is/was a killer album, got a lot of spins from middle school me.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:16 am 

I think the band's self description as "progressive thrash" is a bit tongue in cheek, though the metal influence is there. Today's Empires Tommorow's Ashes probably had the most metal influence. The song "This Is Your Life" off Supporting Caste is a strong mix of thrash and hardcore.

Propagandhi were my favourite band for a while back when I was 14. How To Clean Everything is a near-perfect pop punk album. TETA is my favourite, very heavy and aggressive punk music with great songwriting. I can't say I'm a huge fan of how the band changed after that album. Their next two albums I haven't been the biggest fan of, although they did have a few great songs. From what I've heard so far (listened to a few of the songs) this new album seems to be an improvement on their new sound.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:32 pm 

I only have their first three albums, (Of which Today's Empires is my favorite), and I think they've always kind of been joking when they say they've got this huge thrash influence. That particular album is certainly heavier than many other punk bands of their ilk, I mean just listen to "Fuck the Border", but I sincerely doubt they've gone progressive thrash since these times. I'll report back after I actually hear the album though...
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Axestorm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:32 pm 

They are not joking. While "Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes" was the first to outwardly showcase their metal influence, it was essentially a raging melodic hardcore album. Their recent three albums, particularly this new one have really upped the metal influence. It's like the perfect combo of Megadeth and Bad Religion or something.

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:53 pm 

Yeah...the guys have always been into thrash/metal. Whenever they talk about how the band started, they always refer to themselves as "metalheads". And on the compilation CD "Where Quantity is Job #1" There's a cover song of "Stand Up and Be Counted". But it wasn't until TETA, that they started actually showcasing a edgier side in their music...I think it had a big part to do with Jord joining the band.

I remember buying TETA when it was released, and thinking "what the hell is this hardcore shit?" I was so used to their "poppier" side. It took a couple of listens, but it really grew on me and is by far my favorite release of theirs.

I've always loved the band and their satirical lyrics, although I've since grown out of them...not really into the whole political thing anymore. I guess I've just grown apathetic on the whole subject. But there is no denying these guys demand/deserve as much respect as possible.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:43 pm 

So I listened to the stream twice, and yeah, it's really good. Though if you're gonna call this progressive thrash you need to be slapped with an entire country. Propagandhi is certainly one of the heavier bands of their kind, and I definitely hear where some of the thrash influence comes in, but it's still nowhere near that tag on the whole.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:10 am 

Sounds like lame modern punk with some metal flirtations. If they genuinely believe they're playing thrash, they must be delusional, though I have another theory as to where their name comes from. "Thrash" might just aswell originate from skateboarding circles in their case, and "progressive" probably refers to the political stances their lyrics showcase. The intro to the second song you (Axestorm) posted was interesting though.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:48 am 

Took a listen to the first two or three tracks of the stream. It was rather disappointing, but only because I had never heard any music from the band before so I was expecting something along the lines of Extol or Vektor...
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:19 am 

Going in to Propagandhi and expecting Vektor is like... I can't even think of a comparison because that's likely the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Going in to Reservoir Dogs and being upset that it's not Evil Dead? I don't know, I'm at a loss. I blame the OP for painting such an obviously, stupidly unrealistic expectation.

Ricardo72
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:57 pm 

Failed States sounds less metal than their last album to me, but It's still a superb record. The production is much more raw and the way the songs are chaotically structured and outside influences are overtly used (thrash, crust, math rock, post rock) it reminds me of an 80s punk band like NoMeansNo or Government Issue. I think Supporting Caste is as metal as these guys will ever get without breaking up and starting a thrash band.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:22 pm 

Horace Bones wrote:
...I think it had a big part to do with Jord joining the band.

You may be thinking of bass player Todd. He joined for the third album when they started getting more aggressive, and his vocal contribution is a HUGE departure from those of the previous bass player. He, along with the rest of Propagandhi, is a lifelong metalhead, and I don't know if that can be said for the guy he replaced. He was in a band called Swallowing Shit before Propagandhi. I have a 7" of theirs and its an extremely aggressive grind/hardcore record.

Needless to say, I too believe that the membership change had a lot to do with it, but I think it's for the better.

EDIT: Adding a second guitarist for the previous album is also good for beefing up the sound a bit. Can't wait to see them in action this fall.

Axestorm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:04 pm 

Ok, while I may not think it's a stretch to call them a progressive thrash band, I was definitely trying to appeal to the forum and use the label as an attention-grabber. No, they're not like Vektor (great band btw). But most genres and even sub-genres are a broad umbrella. I could call something death metal, but then Tampa death and Swedish death are very different beasts. Yada yada, I just think this is a band that bangers from every ilk should take note of and give a shot. Love Propagandhi and they will love you back, I say!

Axestorm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:06 pm 

TheJizzHammer wrote:
Horace Bones wrote:
...I think it had a big part to do with Jord joining the band.

You may be thinking of bass player Todd. He joined for the third album when they started getting more aggressive, and his vocal contribution is a HUGE departure from those of the previous bass player. He, along with the rest of Propagandhi, is a lifelong metalhead, and I don't know if that can be said for the guy he replaced. He was in a band called Swallowing Shit before Propagandhi. I have a 7" of theirs and its an extremely aggressive grind/hardcore record.

Needless to say, I too believe that the membership change had a lot to do with it, but I think it's for the better.

EDIT: Adding a second guitarist for the previous album is also good for beefing up the sound a bit. Can't wait to see them in action this fall.

I like you. Swallowing Shit's Anthology is so good!

PedigreeButchery
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:34 pm 

Propagandhi seems to be the only band to never ever dissapoint me with new releases. Duplicate Keys Icaro is worth the cost of the whole album alone, such an epic song!

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:29 am 

This band has always been one of the best to come out of that 90s melodic punk Epitaph/Fat Wreck scene. Over the years they've gone from strength to strength, really growing as a band and improving. Haven't listened to this album though, should really get back into em. Was quite fond of them in the 90s/early 2000s.

Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:51 pm 

Pretty lame if you ask me.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:25 pm 

Love this album, not as much as I enjoyed Supporting Caste, but it's still very very good. There is an abundance of more metal riffs on this album, but they are framed by melodic hardcore songs, for example the opening riff to Things I Like is something I can hear a thrash band putting out, and then it goes into a more traditional, upbeat Propagandhi song (the lyrics are good, the bit about the Maple Leafs is hilarious). Rattan Cane has a vaguely doomy intro, launching into an aggressive and fast hardcore punk song and a very intense outro (what would you call that, math rock?). Status Update's main riff has a little bit of an old Kreator kind of feel (Total Destruction intro) mixed in with the typical Propagandhi fare. I could go on and on, but yeah it's disingenuous to call this a "thrash" album. What strikes me about this album is the amped up musicianship. I always knew these guys where competent musicians, but they really ratchet up the technicality on this album, lots of fast bass runs going on in the background (Todd always had a knack for wonderful accompaniment - look at songs like Cut Into The Earth from Potemkin City Limits), flashy solos and the riffs sound more involved in general. The only disappointment I have is in the last song. They have a tradition of saving their most "epic" song for last (epic in feel not in length), but Duplicate Keys Icaro just doesn't stand up to Purina Hall of Fame (it even references this song about 3/4 through with the same chord progression and solo combination), Iteration and (especially) Last Will and Testament. Over all, it's very good, fans of the band should enjoy it. These guys are hometown heroes for us Winnipeg residents, and their new shirt design is a very cool homage to Armed and Dangerous era Razor. COOL BAND!

Care to elaborate Violent_Possessor?

Reply to topic