Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetalSupremacy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:39 am 

This is fairly simple, perhaps even silly, but it was a really weird experience for me last night - or shall I say, this early morning.

Basically, I had some very odd and slightly creepy dream about gently blinking red and blue lights in pitch-black darkness, and something very peculiar to do with a bed and some other people which I won't go into details about.

Then I woke up, feeling strange, and instantly I realised Melvins' song "Night Goat" was playing in my head. For no apparent reason, I became really nervous. I couldn't get back to sleep, I felt a bit odd, and when I got up and went to the toilet, I was looking anxiously in every dark corner, expecting something to jump out at me. And this is my own house, where nothing truly freaky has ever happened. It was all my own mind.

The strangest thing was the Melvins connection. I'd never thought of that song as particularly creepy before, but for some reason, after having a weird dream and waking up in the dark at around 4.30 AM, that "night goat" track popped into my head, and everything about it was suddenly really eerie and nightmarish in a creeping, sinister kinda way, like being alone in a dark field at midnight or something and there's this demonic monster out to get you, but you don't know where it is. You do know that it's some twisted malformation of a goat with bloodshot pupil-less eyes, a mangled face and an evil expression. Yeah, the "night goat". Worst of all, the actual song has a really spooky sound, and I could hear that plus other Melvins' songs from that same album in my head for a good 20 minutes after waking up.

Sound laughable? Maybe. But I swear, those Melvins songs going round in my head after a weird dream was genuinely scary.

Any thoughts on this?

And has anyone else had a similar experience? You know, having a slightly creepy (but not terrifying) dream, waking up and suddenly finding you're not able to stop a song going round and round in your mind, and the song creeps you out big time?

Funsize999
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:13 am 

Are you on drugs by any chance

MetalSupremacy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:59 am 

Funsize999 wrote:
Are you on drugs by any chance

:lol: No. I don't think I made it clear in my first post - I wasn't literally hearing the song in my head, I just mean the thing that everyone gets - as in, a catchy song gets stuck in your head, you know? That's all I meant. I wasn't hallucinating sounds or anything. Just the normal catchy tune gets stuck in one's head, and it just happened to be going round in my head when I woke up from the dream, that's all. :)

Supreme Human
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:47 am 

I know what you are talking about...i don't understand the music part but do you remember hearing the song in the past couple of weeks? and yes you were partly in sleep paralysis which means you brains aren't working properly/are still sleeping...it happened to me couple of times..usually you don't even remember it..that's what happens to people that are sleep walking..they are awake but not fully...i don't understand why you couldn't go back to sleep..did you have a nightmare or were the dreams like not nice or something?
Do you maybe remember if there was also white light blinking occasionally (not just red and blue)?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:52 pm 

One time I fell asleep listening to Beherit's Electric Doom Synthesis. I had some weird fucking dream(don't remember what it was about) and woke up in the middle of night, lying on the floor, sweating like a bitch and feeling anxious and confused, all the while I had parts of the song Ambush playing on my head. I probably thought I was still inside the dream and it took my a while to realise I was awake.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:12 pm 

I had something similar to this happen to me several times, so you're definitely not alone on this haha. For me, it mostly coincides with pleasant dreams, and it often tends to be recent songs that I've been playing. Like you, the strangest part always seems to be the fact that the song just inexplicably "plays" as soon as I wake up, despite the fact not hearing it during dreaming.

lancasterdrummer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:52 pm 

Once in a while, I will wake up in the middle of the night and for a few minutes I have no clue where I'm at. Btw, I don't use drugs.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:49 am 

not sure if there's a connection between the music you listen to and what dreams you experience, but it makes sense... all last week I'd wake up with Gogol Bordello in my head but I also was listening to ALOT of their music pretty much all day. I use excessive amounts of the Marihuana so I don't have the unpleasant pleasures of dreaming anymore.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:01 pm 

I've woken up hearing songs before. I actually remember just last week I was in a dream air guitaring to some mid-era Limbonic Art and then I woke up hearing it. And yes I use drugs.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:32 pm 

Don't worry about it. This happens to me all the time. I'll wake up from a fucked up dream in the middle of the night, paranoid as can be. My brain will still be half asleep but I'll be just barely conscious enough to get out of bed. Sometimes it gets so intense that the "fog" in my brain lingers around for 15 minutes and I'll be convinced I've gone batshit insane. I'll have a barrage of weird thoughts streaming through my mind like what I'd expect somebody with bipolar disorder to have during a manic episode. But I think this is more related to stress/night terrors than a serious mental disorder, tbh. I always find a way to calm myself back to sleep and I'll wake up sane the next morning.

If you're like me you probably just have a lot of shit on your mind. You have it in your head that there's something urgent that needs to be done and when you catch yourself falling asleep you subconsciously startle yourself back awake. I dunno if this makes sense to anyone on here. Actually, I'm pretty sure people are just gonna' think I'm weird but whatever.

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:11 am 

I have woken up hearing songs too. For a long time it was Candlemass' "Bewitched" following some very personal dreams of a terrifying nature I'd rather not share.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:02 pm 

Sometimes I "manage" to stay conscious when the sleep paralysis kicks in. When this occurs I can't move any part of my body and I hear a strange beeping sound that slowly fades into silence. Once it is silent I am able to recreate sounds only with the force of my will, if you want to call it that. I can replay songs in my head and I can make it so that it sounds to me like there are people in the room, talking. I'm always very curious and actually try to come up with new things to do with this phenmenon while it happens, but it's always so close to reality that after a while I inevitably become really, really scared and confused, which is shitty when you're unable to move.

NikeOfSamothrace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:00 am 

You should post this on creepypasta, would make a great submission.

As for this ever happening to me, I faintly remember something similar happening to me. I can't recall the song but I remember I was so scared over something so silly I couldn't go back to sleep for another hour or two.

Frozen Hearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:44 pm 

MetalSupremacy wrote:
This is fairly simple, perhaps even silly, but it was a really weird experience for me last night - or shall I say, this early morning.

Basically, I had some very odd and slightly creepy dream about gently blinking red and blue lights in pitch-black darkness, and something very peculiar to do with a bed and some other people which I won't go into details about.

Then I woke up, feeling strange, and instantly I realised Melvins' song "Night Goat" was playing in my head. For no apparent reason, I became really nervous. I couldn't get back to sleep, I felt a bit odd, and when I got up and went to the toilet, I was looking anxiously in every dark corner, expecting something to jump out at me. And this is my own house, where nothing truly freaky has ever happened. It was all my own mind.

The strangest thing was the Melvins connection. I'd never thought of that song as particularly creepy before, but for some reason, after having a weird dream and waking up in the dark at around 4.30 AM, that "night goat" track popped into my head, and everything about it was suddenly really eerie and nightmarish in a creeping, sinister kinda way, like being alone in a dark field at midnight or something and there's this demonic monster out to get you, but you don't know where it is. You do know that it's some twisted malformation of a goat with bloodshot pupil-less eyes, a mangled face and an evil expression. Yeah, the "night goat". Worst of all, the actual song has a really spooky sound, and I could hear that plus other Melvins' songs from that same album in my head for a good 20 minutes after waking up.

Sound laughable? Maybe. But I swear, those Melvins songs going round in my head after a weird dream was genuinely scary.

Any thoughts on this?

And has anyone else had a similar experience? You know, having a slightly creepy (but not terrifying) dream, waking up and suddenly finding you're not able to stop a song going round and round in your mind, and the song creeps you out big time?

Meth is a hell of a drug, brah.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:27 pm 

Hey I have had something very similar happen, I just talked about it in the "Ever seen something creepy" thread.

It's probably depersonalization or derealization and not sleep paralysis, since you were able to move. It has multiple triggers some more serious than others, but sleep deprivation, caffeine, certain drugs, nicotine, etc.. can trigger it. I had reoccuring themes, not songs, racing through my mind but the occurance sounds very similar. See below. For me it was truely scary and lasted a long time, each of the three times it has happened. I felt like I was losing my mind. I attribute major sleep deprivation (over 72 hours) and caffeine for the first experience. Bad prescription drug interaction and aniexty for the 2nd and 3rd experience.

Delta_Wing wrote:
I have experienced a couple of weird sightings, UFO and paranormal, but since I can't explain them or necessarily feel that they were in fact genuine, I won't elaborate on them and they were not necessarily scary.

However, something that petrified me, has been my own mind malfunctioning three times now since 2006. I have done some research on this and found it to be something called Derealiztion.

Each time this has happened I have been under a fair amount of stress. The very first time I recall it happening was when my Grandfather died in January 2006 and I was the only one of my family to be able to travel to Germany from the U.S. to his funeral. (I had family scattered all over the globe and my mom had been in the hospital) I arrived in Germany and went and stayed with a relative, all day I was fighting jet lag and went wandering around the city of Stuttgart to stay awake. That night I went to sleep relatively quickly and awoke out of a solid sleep within 10 - 15 minutes after going down.

Then I didn't know where I was upon waking for at least a minute, then sheer unexplained terror ran all over my body and everything felt strange and otherworldly. I kept seeing a dead tree with empty dead branches on the back of my eyelids. It took me 2 hours to talk myself out of this state of mind. Everything was very very desolate and alien. My heart raced and I thought I was going to die. I ended up breathing into a bag to relieve the stress of hyperventilating (something I learned later was not even the correct procedure) The feeling of terror and general feelings of out of place hung with me the rest of the next day. I was not in full control of mind for at least 2 hours that night. I never talked about this before now. No drugs nor alcohol were involved and I am other wise healthy and non depressed, with a pretty positive outlook on things.

Then it happened to me two other times, both times I was ill, once with a bad flu later in 2006 and one time with Mosquito born encephalitis in the summer of 2011. Each time the onset was awaking out of the early stages of sleep. It's the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. The last time it happened I called a good friend of mine to help me talk myself out of this mental state. I didn’t want to wake my GF or our son and freak them out. Each time there is this dark illusion of dead branches and a veil of darkness across everything and repeating phrases ran through my mind. It literally takes me a couple of days to fully recover back to a positive state of mind after it happens. I hope that it doesn’t ever happen again. I know it sounds mundane, but it was truely terrifying especially the thought of not being able to get back to reality.

Check it out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derealization

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:52 am 

Not really the same thing, but the first time I ever heard I, the Witchfinder by Electric Wizard, I dozed off during the intro but was woken up when the vocals kicked in and it absolutely scared the shit out of me.

Reply to topic