Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:20 am 

Good 2x12 cabs to put under an Ampeg SS140c, GO!

Julian the Apostate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:36 pm 

After some difficulty with my Ibanez, which has a Floyd Rose bridge, I did some research on teh interwebz.

It turns out that when tuning a guitar with Floyd Rose, you have to go in a specific order, that is:
Low E, High E, B, A, G, D. Otherwise it will never stay in the write tuning.

This is because the bridge is a "floating bridge" and the slightest shift will readjust the position.

Maybe most people already know that, I found it vaguely interesting.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:26 pm 

Yeah, that's pretty basic Floyd Rose information. I recently intonated my Floyd-equipped Jackson for C standard...shit took forever. Lots of back and forth adjustments until it finally sat correctly.

Asking again:
me wrote:
Good 2x12 cabs to put under an Ampeg SS140c, GO!

And another question: has anybody had a chance to play those Dan Armstrong reissues? How's that removable humbucker sound, and how heavy is that guitar? I saw one at a local music store, but never picked it up. Looked to be about the size I'm looking for. I'm trying to decide between it, a Charvel Model 3A (black finish, maple frets), or an Agile Interceptor. I don't want to have to buy another guitar for a while.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:34 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I've been messing with the Phrygian scale to get away from abusing Harmonic Minor all the time. It's a really cool sounding scale.

I'm going to try this.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:09 pm 

Julian the Apostate wrote:
After some difficulty with my Ibanez, which has a Floyd Rose bridge, I did some research on teh interwebz.

It turns out that when tuning a guitar with Floyd Rose, you have to go in a specific order, that is:
Low E, High E, B, A, G, D. Otherwise it will never stay in the write tuning.

This is because the bridge is a "floating bridge" and the slightest shift will readjust the position.

Maybe most people already know that, I found it vaguely interesting.

Even so it will take a couple of runs when changing tunings, generally. The last time I changed the strings on my RG1570, I wanted to clean the fingerboard a little, so I removed all strings at once, instead of removing and replacing one at a time as is usually recommended with Floyd Roses. It took frustratingly long to tune the guitar after that.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:44 pm 

I have a Floyd Rose, and it's not so bad once you get used to it. I just overcompensate each string as I tune it. Eventually, it settles in to the correct tuning.

It's definitely a matter of trial-and-error when changing tunings, too. If you are thinking about dedicating a guitar to a specific tuning, you might also want to consider a truss-rod adjustment to make the bow of the neck fit the new tension.

MetalCheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:54 pm 

I've been playing a starter Ibanez because I'm poor, and the neck is way too thin for me. I've got chubby fingers so I have the traffic jam thing going on. Any recommendations for brands with wider necks? Nothing too wide though, cause my digits are also pretty short. Fuck, I should've learned the tuba.

allureoftheearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:55 pm 

Tuning related question.

I'm trying to play some High on Fire songs but Matt Has a weird tuning (C F A# D# G C). I've got all the strings tuned correctly except the A# and D#. How would you tune to sharp from A or D?

awheio
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:15 pm 

allureoftheearth wrote:
Tuning related question.

I'm trying to play some High on Fire songs but Matt Has a weird tuning (C F A# D# G C). I've got all the strings tuned correctly except the A# and D#. How would you tune to sharp from A or D?

If I'm not mistaken, that's simply C-standard tuning, right? I.e. every string should be tuned down 2 full steps. To get the A# and D#, you just take your D and tune it down to C#, to C, to B, to A#. Take your G and tune it down to F#, F, E, D#. Is there more to the question than that?

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:06 pm 

He may simply be asking how far "sharp" a sharp is from the standard note.

It's one half step.

So, an A# is the same thing as a B-flat. They both sit one half step in between A and B.

Visually, on the fretboard (and hypothetically), if an "A" sits on the 5th fret, and a "B" sits on the 7th fret, then the "A#" would be on the 6th fret.

Hope that helps.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:20 pm 

Pop a trem setter in your Floyd and you won't even have a problem if you break a string. Ok, you can't do flutters anymore but if you're not playing shred type metal then that wont mean a thing. And the Trem Setter will improve your overall sustain.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:37 pm 

Anyone familiar with the Boss GT-8 effects processor? If so, could someone tell me if hooking it up to a laptop for direct-in recording purposes is possible? I know you can plug it into a sound card on a desktop computer and get it to record just fine, but I obviously can't.

TommyTheRipper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:15 pm 

I've got a question to guitar players. I'm a bassist and I'd like to buy a guitar just to play without any higher task. Just for fun, for playing solos and learning how to write riffs. And now is my question. Which guitar below 200$ would you recomend? It don't need to be brand new ;p.

Man, those were the days.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:47 pm 

Epiphone SG's are pretty solid.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:15 am 

I'd probably see what's available in your area (or online) that's within your budget and do some research. See what's out there and compare them on an individual basis rather than targeting a brand/model unless you are only going to buy new.

Misty_Lake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:50 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Slowdive - Dagger, if you like singing along. Ulver - Høyfjeldsbilde if you don't. With the Ulver, there are two guitars in the song. In the intro part, learn both of them separately first, soon enough you can play them simultaneously.

What are the correct chords for the Slowdive song? I've looked everywhere and the tabbing for them on ultimate-guitar is incorrect. It says the verse chords are C and Em which they aren't, it doesn't sound right when I play along.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:29 am 

Misty_Lake wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
Slowdive - Dagger, if you like singing along. Ulver - Høyfjeldsbilde if you don't. With the Ulver, there are two guitars in the song. In the intro part, learn both of them separately first, soon enough you can play them simultaneously.

What are the correct chords for the Slowdive song? I've looked everywhere and the tabbing for them on ultimate-guitar is incorrect. It says the verse chords are C and Em which they aren't, it doesn't sound right when I play along.

Those aren't correct at all. I used these, sounded good enough.

Generally if you search for the chords of a song, it's better to search google for tabs. Those chord guides tend to be "idiot versions".

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:08 am 

Any tips to improve string skipping cleanly? I can do it decently at moderate tempos and ok-ish at fast tempos. It goes to shit once I play songs at 180BPM. I don't really mean soloing but rhythm playing. Surgically clean, precise and hard-hitting rhythms.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:16 am 

I have but two pieces of advice. Firstly, use sharp plectra, such as Dunlop Jazz III. Secondly, practice fuckloads.

Even if you might be able to achieve considerable speed quite fast, it can be extremely hard on your right arm unless you learn the most efficient, economical technique, and that can only be achieved by practicing every day. To reiterate the age-old cliché, start slow, work your way up, but surely you know that much already. After a week of daily practice or so, you'll have reached a level where you must warm up well before playing at your highest speed, so don't neglect that. I haven't really got to play all summer, and my arm hurt immensely when I tried to play some string skipping riffs without warming up even though I couldn't reach even two thirds of my former maximum speed for purely physical reasons.

It's great when you're able to play rhythm fast, but keeping up your abilities at high levels requires daily practice.

TheHeresySleep
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 am 

TommyTheRipper wrote:
I've got a question to guitar players. I'm a bassist and I'd like to buy a guitar just to play without any higher task. Just for fun, for playing solos and learning how to write riffs. And now is my question. Which guitar below 200$ would you recomend? It don't need to be brand new ;p.

try the epiphone gt limited edition 2, i've bought it for 139euros and i'm not sorry for that

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:35 pm 

What do you people do whenever you're not really feeling like playing guitar? Experiencing now but I feel like I should just force myself to play some things anyway wheteter I'm really into it or not.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:56 pm 

colin040 wrote:
What do you people do whenever you're not really feeling like playing guitar? Experiencing now but I feel like I should just force myself to play some things anyway wheteter I'm really into it or not.

I find that a break can really help me recharge and play much better, with much better energy and enthusiasm even if it's just for a few days. Also, I find that if I need to pull myself back into it that I can find a song I really like and learn a few riffs from it to get myself hooked again. I will say that it's my tendency to either be totally obsessed with playing or not feel like playing at all and it can be hard for me to find a balance.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:17 pm 

colin040 wrote:

Listening to Wagner always makes me want to play guitar because of how it feels like a brilliant expression of emotion and ideas. Maybe there is some music, artwork, or movie that really strikes you and could create some inspiration. After listen to something I really enjoy I feel more inspired to try to put myself into music and the instrument Wagner always makes me go to is guitar probably because that is what I am most comfortable with composition wise. Playing with other people even briefly can also make it more interesting and push you to play more on your own. In the past I have also found that a change of venue was also a more interesting way to play guitar - sitting on the porch with some beer in the summer made even practicing scales fun for me.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:25 pm 

I already came up with a solution: try to write own riffs and figure out riffs without a tab.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:10 pm 

Do we have any 8-string users in here?

TommyTheRipper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:48 pm 

colin040 wrote:

Take few days of rest. When I am really without the will to jam I wait some time (from an hour up to 3 days) to relax and get new strength to play. Sometimes some people can really drive me nuts and then, full of anger (rarely just after a quarrel or fight), I volume up my amp and I'm able to do things with my classic/bass which I can't repeat when relaxed ;) Wait few days or get mad with some friends, inspiration will come by itself :)

Man, those were the days.

skull_king
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:47 pm 

Here's a question for all of you. I want to know what Thrash/Groove metal bands play 7-String guitars (or just any band that plays 7-String with 1 guitarist)

Orbliis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:36 am 

This may be a far fetched question, but does anyone here play a Telecaster? I love the necks, but have no idea how they would sound with hotter pickups. Of course, I could pull a Jari Maenpaa/Beautiful Death and just play the damn thing stock with a noise gate to cut the hum. Would still suck for most metal oriented tones though.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:09 am 

Just finished my Warmoth guitar build... For being my first paint job, it's quite good. Still looks pretty pro on the pics, but in real life you can see a lot of flaws. Anyway, it will be fucking awesome after a proffesional setup...
http://dayviews.com/#!/NitadJesus/509898909/

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:08 pm 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
Just finished my Warmoth guitar build... For being my first paint job, it's quite good. Still looks pretty pro on the pics, but in real life you can see a lot of flaws. Anyway, it will be fucking awesome after a proffesional setup...
http://dayviews.com/#!/NitadJesus/509898909/

Nice job, brother!

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:30 am 

skull_king wrote:
Here's a question for all of you. I want to know what Thrash/Groove metal bands play 7-String guitars (or just any band that plays 7-String with 1 guitarist)

Beyond Creation is a tech death band that plays seven string and there is only one guitarist

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:31 pm 

percepticide wrote:
skull_king wrote:

Beyond Creation is a tech death band that plays seven string and there is only one guitarist

Visceral Throne is another one w/ 7-string and one guitarist, though technical brutal death metal.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:49 pm 

percepticide wrote:
skull_king wrote:

Umm... no? There's 2.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

skull_king
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:50 pm 

So basically, it's rare to find a band that plays 7 strings with 1 guitarist

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:56 pm 

I'm really excited right now. About a month ago, I took my 2 old Engl "Straight" amp heads out of storage and asked a local amp repair shop to see if they could get them working again.

These are old amps. Vintage early '90s. Not really modern "rectifier" ultra-tight gain amps. More older, vintage power-metal heads. Kai Hansen used them on the older Gamma Ray stuff. Early Blind Guardian was apparently recorded on Engl Straights. I always loved them, but when I put them into storage they were in bad shape, and several years of being in basements took their toll. I had very little hope they could be salvaged, at a reasonable price.

Lo and behold, today the call comes: the guy had been working on them non-stop for 3 weeks. He knew they were kind of rare at this point, and wanted to salvage them. After a ton of work, they are fixed!! And he gave me a decent price break. It wound up being much, much cheaper than buying new heads.

Plugged them in, and they sound fantastic. Completely cleaned up, and with no issues at all.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:16 pm 

skull_king wrote:
So basically, it's rare to find a band that plays 7 strings with 1 guitarist

Malignancy is another one that does.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:06 am 

Speaking of ENGL, my Screamer combo has been malfunctioning somewhat. The volumes seem unstable despite my never changing the master or channel volumes, and yesterday there was an abrupt, obvious change in tone (it happened while I was playing, suddenly) that dropped the gain levels considerably. The tone was relatively shitty all day, but it went to total shit all of a sudden. Ther amp has been making a side noise for a while now (for a much longer time than the tone/gain problems), similar to the sound your guitar makes if there's too much dust or dirt in the knobs.

If there are tube amp users here, does this sound like the tubes need to be changed? The capacitors fried just last year, I had them changed - the model is known for shitty design in the tubes' proximity to the capacitors. The symptoms were quite different then: the volume dropped to very quiet after playing for increasingly short times.

Edit: fix typo

Last edited by hakarl on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:44 am 

Yo Ilwhyan, I am not a tube amp user but I plan on getting one fairly soon so I have looked into it quite a bit and what you describe sounds like a classic example of needing the tubes to be changed from what I have read. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the capacitors cost you to be replaced? A repair shop guy has a website where he says that the caps need to be changed out about every decade because they are not designed to last much longer than that.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:45 pm 

To be honest I don't remember what it cost, but it wasn't cheap. It was somewhere around 100€ sans components (to my understanding, they placed the capacitors in a different location to increase their longevity). Hence my asking - I'd rather learn to change the tubes myself than take the thing to a store for someone to give it light therapy for two weeks, then charge 100€ plus components for a couple hours' work.

From what I've read so far, changing the tubes is a potentially lethal procedure. :lol:

skull_king
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:49 am 

So I am considering drop tuning my guitar to drop-B. What are some good songs that i can play in that tuning?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next