Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:39 pm 

"Pennsylvania-based extreme metallers INCANTATION have set "Vanquish In Vengeance" as the title of their new conceptual album, due in November via Listenable Records.

Commented INCANATATION mainman John McEntee: "The title track is about the massacre of Saxons in the town of Verdun in 782, called on by order of King Charlemagne.

"As an album title, it has a different meaning to me. 'Vanquish In Vengeance' symbolizes the long history of the band. We have fought many battles over the years to keep things going. We have always stayed true to our original vision and have never caved into trends. After a long wait between albums we are back with a vengeance with some of our darkest and heaviest material to date."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/"

Thoughts and how do you think the new material will turn out?

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:49 pm 

Veracs wrote:
with some of our darkest and heaviest material to date." ?

:lol: That's pretty much exactly how Immolation described their upcoming album.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:17 pm 

that's actually pretty much how every death metal band describes their upcoming album ;)

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:23 pm 

I can't wait to hear it! I'm interested to hear what they turn up with, especially if they think it's as dark as "The Mortal Throne of Nazerene" or "Diabolical Conquest".

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:24 pm 

Incantation rule, so this will rule. But yeah, most bands describe their new stuff like that. It's a cliché at this point.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:55 pm 

Well it's a concept album, and I don't think they've done that before (?), so maybe there will be an extra layer of darkness. Either way, it will lay waste guaranteed.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:07 pm 

I expect it to sound like Incantation. I can't fucking wait!

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:35 pm 

Yeah definitely not expecting anything as dark as the first three, but I am expecting more Incantation which bottoms out at "very good", so I'm excited. Its been too damn long, it isn't like they're not formulaic as hell.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:11 pm 

Awesome cant wait! incantation is one of my favorite death metal bands! i wonder if it will a bit darker the there last release, it seemed a little to thrashy or somthing

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:57 pm 

Incantation IS death metal, bring it the fuck on! can't wait :metal:

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:08 pm 

No other way for anyone to feel about this except fucking STOKED!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:21 pm 

I'm expecting the next Cruciamentum and Grave Miasma releases to be better, but this will most certainly be worth checking out at the very least, due to their massive presence. It will indeed be a solid, crushing excursion into the realm of death metal - probably not massively outstanding, but it assuredly won't be terrible, and I dare say I will buy it.

My collection

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:56 pm 

Dude, these retro acts have nothing on the original.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:23 am 

I think they hold their own extremely well.

My collection

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:57 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
I'm expecting the next Cruciamentum and Grave Miasma releases to be better...

Well, have at it enjoying two shit bands to the band that spawned them into existence. :roll:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:05 am 

These are good bands, you suck as always, Veracs. Not a hint of pertinence in this post.

Incantation can't fail, I'll be expecting this as well.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:47 am 

Veracs wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:

Well, have at it enjoying two shit bands :roll:

Will do :thumbsup: because your opinion of them does not hold water to me. Incantation ARE awesome, there is no question as far as I'm concerned, I like these two just as much if not more, so what? Three great bands...

My collection

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:56 am 

Considering this is the longest they've gone between full-length studio albums (6 years,) anyone think that's had an effect one way or the other of what the new album will sound like, or are they picking up where Primordial Domination left off? While the member changes can be considered negligible for good reason, I like what Alex Bouks has been up to in Goreaphobia and perhaps some of his influence crept in. There's no doubt that it will be a quality release, but the separation in time may have done some good to keeping the material fresher.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:49 am 

Veracs wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:

Well, have at it enjoying two shit bands to the band that spawned them into existence. :roll:

Sometimes the student becomes the master. While I found Grave Miasma to be quite tiresome, I did enjoy Cruciamentum's Convocation more than anything Incantation have done since Diabolical Conquest (if you don't count A Once Holy Throne off of Blasphemy). That's not to say that the Incantation albums after Diabolical aren't good, just that sometimes followers can succeed better than the originators. Especially when years pass. I'm eagerly awaiting this new release from Incantation, but I'm not expecting to like it too much. I'm far more interested in a new Dead Congregation album. Or was more inclined to hear the new Ignivomous album than a new one from Incantation to give out a couple of names.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:58 am 

Pretty much sums up much of my thinking as well.

My collection

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:03 am 

While I enjoy everything that has been listed here, Incantation is the reason I enjoy those bands so they will always be superior. I would like new ones from all listed at the same time so I can choke on them all with frothing bliss.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:06 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Sometimes the student becomes the master.

Sometimes, but rarely. And not in this case, especially if you're comparing fucking Cruciamentum to the last two Incantation albums.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:25 am 

droneriot wrote:
MacMoney wrote:
Sometimes the student becomes the master.

Sometimes, but rarely. And not in this case, especially if you're comparing fucking Cruciamentum to the last two Incantation albums.

Well, alright. Just because it's you, drone, I'll dig out my Cruciamentum and the last two Incantation albums, do a quick re-listen and let you know the results. Only because I know you care.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:44 am 

Do it, MacMoney. Cruciamentum isn't bad, I like them, I hope I didn't come across otherwise, but the two Incantation albums with McEntee on vocals are really strong. With the exception of "Once Holy Throne" that you already mentioned, the last two are the strongest since the unholy trinity.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:11 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Sometimes the student becomes the master. While I found Grave Miasma to be quite tiresome, I did enjoy Cruciamentum's Convocation more than anything Incantation have done since Diabolical Conquest (if you don't count A Once Holy Throne off of Blasphemy). That's not to say that the Incantation albums after Diabolical aren't good, just that sometimes followers can succeed better than the originators. Especially when years pass. I'm eagerly awaiting this new release from Incantation, but I'm not expecting to like it too much. I'm far more interested in a new Dead Congregation album. Or was more inclined to hear the new Ignivomous album than a new one from Incantation to give out a couple of names.

This. A lot of the OSDM revival bands that are said to resemble Incantation (I know a few people get very annoyed by that comparison, but we all know the kind of sound it refers to, so whatever) are stuningly good at what they do; it's unfair to the quality of their sound to say that any record made by Incantation will always surpass them simply because the former were influenced by the latter. The best of the 'revival' bands don't try to ape older sounds, anyway; they've found a way of creating that rotten, oozing menace that one might have previously thought was only possible in a certain era.

None of that means, however, that I'm not very excited by the thought of that new Incantation album. I hope it'll be good at what it does - no reason to think it won't continue the sound - and that concept really intrigues me...

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:41 am 

Incantation worship is probably the only case where I don't think that the students surpass the master. Maybe Funebrarum.... maybe. And they don't really have much Incantation in their sound. Usually the bands that establish a sound are not absolute top level to me, and I tend to go for the bands that follow afterwards and add some flair, but Incantation got it so very very right on their first three, and the worship bands haven't had anywhere to really take it. There are a shitload of good bands in the retro OSDM scene though, so I don't mind them being a little step behind.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:57 pm 

The typo in the thread title shouldn't drive me this nuts.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:39 pm 

New Incantation? Quite splendid indeed. Sign me up my dear sirs.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:30 pm 

While I am eagerly await this album, I doubt anything will surpass the level of darkness and morbidity on Mortal Throne Of Nazarene (except for maybe Disembowelment, but that's a different discussion).

But not to dwell on the negatives, I do firmly believe that this will be a step up from Primordial Domination.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:41 pm 

i just played some tunes by Cruciamentum and Grave Miasma, not bad, they don't sound as similar to incantation as dead congregation or ignivomous though [to me]

how many of you guys got the most recent ep from incantation? scapegoat
i see it was a limited run, there are copies still for sale in various places... but their web store [ibex moon] is still broken, i emailed them about it a couple of weeks ago :(

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:58 pm 

Yeah neither of those bands are all that Incantation-y, I like Grave Miasma but Cruciamentum do nothing for me. Father Befouled and Ignivomous are the closest for me, although Ignivomous have entirely different songwriting and much higher tempos, riffing style is exactly the same though.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:28 am 

droneriot wrote:
Do it, MacMoney. Cruciamentum isn't bad, I like them, I hope I didn't come across otherwise, but the two Incantation albums with McEntee on vocals are really strong. With the exception of "Once Holy Throne" that you already mentioned, the last two are the strongest since the unholy trinity.

Well, I did that and while I was reminded that I'm not as enamored with the Cruciamentum EP as I was back when it was still new, I was also reminded that Decimate Christendom and Primordial Domination aren't that much to my liking either. I'd say the Cruciamentum EP was the best listen out of those, but then again, it's much shorter than the full-lengths so it's a lot easier to listen all the way through. Primordial Domination is a whole lot better than Decimate though, the latter just suffers from rather lazy songwriting.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:08 am 

Have you heard the Engulfed In Desolation ep MacMoney? Just wondering to see how you would compare it.

My collection

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:27 am 

First new Immolation, now new Incantation. Hell yeah. Hopefully they both get added to MDF XI too.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:00 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Have you heard the Engulfed In Desolation ep MacMoney? Just wondering to see how you would compare it.

I haven't heard anything later than Convocation, I'm afraid. Been meaning to check it out, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:14 am 

MacMoney wrote:
more inclined to hear the new Ignivomous album than a new one from Incantation to give out a couple of names.

Ignivomous are pretty much the best of the newer bands doing this style.

Primordial Domination was massive. Possibly their best since Diabolical Conquest, therefore new material should be good.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:37 pm 

This just made my fucking day. Interesting concept idea.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:24 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Incantation rule, so this will rule. But yeah, most bands describe their new stuff like that. It's a cliché at this point.

Heh.

"Nah, our new album is delicate and light. You know.....ethereal, makes you think about the universe. It's going to SLAY. But in a different WAY."

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:58 am 

There were samples of recent Incantation (from the Afterparty Massacre I think), in late 2011 or so. It sounded somewhat different from what we're used to. Far less sinister and sickened. Let's hope the full-length will deliver.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:52 am 

That song was specifically for the soundtrack wasn't it? I was under the impression it wasn't a representation of what the band was doing. I certainly hope not because that was the worst song they've ever written.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next