Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LeeKiing26
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:46 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq9zhpBweDk

Any thoughts so far? Brand new song, new album coming soon. I personally think its fantastic, especially from the 3 minute mark on. I'm sure they will get a lot of flak for the electronica, but I think its very well done, subtle but impressively done. In their recent albums I cant help but hear a ton of Queen influence, which is never a bad thing ;)

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:11 pm 

I dig Muse.

Thanks for the link: the song "Maddness" is interesting in a subdued way. It's like a weird electro-blues. I was able to use the link to check out two other new songs: "The 2nd Law: Unsustainable" and "Survival". "Unsutainable" is the much talked about experiment with dubstep elements, and "Survival" is the epic Olympic tie-in tune.

All three songs are interesting in their own way, but the word I keep coming back to is subdued. Don't get me wrong, all three are certainly par the course for Muse in the sense that they are totally over the top. But they are all missing a certain unhinged or frenetic energy that the early albums up to and including Black Holes & Revelations had in spades. Bellamy's wild guitar playing is sorely missing from these tunes, save for portions of "Unsustainable".

That being said, these songs are excellently composed and performed and Muse made it well known in advance that The 2nd Law would be a departure from the prior records. Anyone who is taken aback by the electro/dubstep elements must not have been paying attention all this time-Muse always had a willingness to experiment and always showed a technological bent.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to this and expect it to be quite a bit better than The Resistance, as that was simply a lazy and mediocre Muse record. And the cover art for this one is awesome to boot.
Obliteration

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm 

People like my brother love the old heavy stuff up to Absolution. The new track sounds like a mix of AWOLNATION and soft Linkin Park stuff. They would gather a lot more popularity with a new crowd that doesnt like heavy stuff. They would probably lose a few fans like my brother. Are they changing their musical direction - who knows.

I'm a person who personally thinks that any significant change in sound of a band they should be released under a different name. Thats just me.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:19 pm 

Their sound has been changing at each album, I don't dig the new Muse though, not a bit, since I don't like this kind of music. Bandwagon? probably :(

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:33 pm 

Never listened to this band really, but I checked out the song none the less. I thought survival was an ok, song, and Unsustainable would have been good if it weren't for that horrible robot voice, really liked the orchestral intro.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:05 pm 

RIP Muse

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:04 pm 

I discovered that they were doing a new album roughly thus;

"They've been experimenting"
Riiiiight, what with?
"Dubstep"
Oh fuck.

I've not listened to much Muse, not more than a handful of songs really, but I definitely prefer their early stuff. I have a fairly strong weariness for dubstep, which for now, I'm choosing to trust.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:59 pm 

Yahko wrote:
People like my brother love the old heavy stuff up to Absolution. The new track sounds like a mix of AWOLNATION and soft Linkin Park stuff. They would gather a lot more popularity with a new crowd that doesnt like heavy stuff. They would probably lose a few fans like my brother. Are they changing their musical direction - who knows.

I'm a person who personally thinks that any significant change in sound of a band they should be released under a different name. Thats just me.

If you like the old Muse, you should check out some songs from current Diablo Swing Orchestra, like this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYFU6SOrVuk

PostMetalActivist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:51 am 

I like muse, but don't know where to start...

I liked that knights of cydonia bit and a few I can't name.

Worth getting downloading discog? Possibly purchasing hard-copy?(Takes a lot to be hard worthy for me)

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:59 am 

Back Holes and Revelations is basically eletrco-Queen. Just start there and work back. I'd download at least that one, Absolution and The Origin of Symmetry

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:19 pm 

Wow, these new songs evoke no emotions whatsoever. If I ever suddenly feel compelled to listen to Muse, it won't be this.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:51 pm 

I've liked Origin of Symmetry and Absolution ever since the two came out, but this band definitely started to lose me at Black Holes and Revelations. A few songs on that album are very good like "Map of the Problematique" but the band got so pompous. Their sound was already stretched in terms of melody and scope on Absolution, but the writing held it together. BHAR then comes and shows just how over-inflated as hell the band could get.

This new song was what I hoped didn't happen - the band turns toward self-absorbed pop music. At times it's very catchy, but there's no lasting value.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:33 am 

I enjoy Origin of Symmetry, Absolution and Black Holes, but I wouldn't really consider myself a humongous Muse fan. I wouldn't mind seeing them live, but I don't really follow them. I only found out recently that they did an album after Black Holes that somehow passed me by.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:12 pm 

I haven't bothered to listen to them much I absolutely (no pun intended) love Absolution. Stockholm Syndrome is some of the heaviest non-metal out there by mainstream standards and Falling Away With You is incredibly touching.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:34 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I've liked Origin of Symmetry and Absolution ever since the two came out, but this band definitely started to lose me at Black Holes and Revelations. A few songs on that album are very good like "Map of the Problematique" but the band got so pompous. Their sound was already stretched in terms of melody and scope on Absolution, but the writing held it together. BHAR then comes and shows just how over-inflated as hell the band could get.

You've nailed it, this is completely the case. The debut Showbiz has some fine tracks on it too. And the guy who was asking where to start...I picked up Absolution at the time of release and went backwards from there. Download "Map of the Problematique" from BHAR and don't bother with the rest...

mirages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:04 pm 

Already listened the new album, was better than the previous one, but far from being as strong as their first four.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am 

I had gave it my first listen yesterday. I heard a few influences of U2, Queen and AWOLNATION quite a bit. Its more "artsy" with the use of this epic rock opera sound. There are probably like 5 heavy songs top out of the 13 that are on the album. I dont say its a bad thing but when you want Muse you want it to be different from artists like Coldplay just because you expected to be a bit heavier.

I would compare Linkin Park - "Living Things" and Muse - "The 2nd Law" - for me LP wins.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:19 am 

I think I love "Madness" now...but the actual dubstep elements are garbage.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:22 pm 

Wow, I liked them back when they were prog rock, but this is just awful. *falls off of bandwagon*

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:36 pm 

I'm afraid to listen to the new album, Muse always has been one of my favorite bands and I don't want to be sad :(

I'll listen to it soon and I'll probably despise it.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:31 am 

Muse was a band I fell in love with pretty instantly once I heard them. Absolution and BHAR are fantastic albums. Knights of Cydonia is probably my favorite song by them, or at least close to it, and I actually used to cover some Muse back in one of my old bands, haha. Haven't listened to the new album yet, but I will once I get a second. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best even thought I'm expecting basically nothing.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

tronics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:47 am 

I've only heard Showbiz - which I reckon is a pretty damn fine album. Listened to it on mp3's for a short period of time, it quickly became apparent that I should, and did, buy the CD. Lent it to my friend about 2 days later and she lost it.

mirages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:49 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I'm afraid to listen to the new album, Muse always has been one of my favorite bands and I don't want to be sad :(

I'll listen to it soon and I'll probably despise it.

Nothing to be afraid actually the worst songs in the album are being played in the radio right now.

tronics wrote:
I've only heard Showbiz.

If you liked Showbiz you must check their other good albums, for each 10 songs 1999-2006 Muse made, 9 were good.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:17 pm 

Gone are the days of songs like Stockholm Syndrome. I did like some of Black Holes but none of The Resistance. I probably won't listen to much of this.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:25 pm 

I liked the album as a fanboy, still, it's their weakest yet. Half the songs are pretty damn good, the first song Supremacy is fucking amazing and sounds like the theme of the new James Bond (and it should be!)

mirages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:49 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I liked the album as a fanboy, still, it's their weakest yet. Half the songs are pretty damn good, the first song Supremacy is fucking amazing and sounds like the theme of the new James Bond (and it should be!)

The best ones for me are Supremacy and Big Freeze.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:54 am 

okay they kinda lost their hard edge on the last 3 releases, but for those interested into Muse's quality material i suggest checking out Absolution and Origin Of Symmetry, both amazing albums!

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:03 pm 

I really enjoy their older stuff, but of what I heard the new album it's just not my thing. I don't really know whether that can be called terrible, but definitely not enjoyable for me.

Reply to topic