Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Misty_Lake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:39 am 

I felt a bit of sadness particularly over Wes Montgomery's story, who had to dumb his talent and playing down in his later years, to play in a way that is more authentic so that he could get more fame and be able to make enough to raise his family. He played some kind of pop jazz in his later years, after his career pretty much came to a stop for awhile so that he could support his family any way he could during the racist 60's.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:48 am 

David Vincent. That is all.

My collection

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:10 am 

Eric Adams and those :gay: highlights he has.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:23 am 

Peter Criss from Kiss.

Everybody hates on the cat, man.

slaughterdethmetal666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:37 pm 

Jeff Hanneman..never got as much attention as Kerry King

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:36 pm 

slaughterdethmetal666 wrote:

Plus he had the flesh-eating bacteria attack his arm, which is way fucked up.

Darsk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:35 pm 

Quorthon, for his death.

Nattramn, for his mental illness.

Dead, because he's dead AND he's dead.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:47 pm 

Jason Becker.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:52 pm 

Nattramn was a fucking idiot. Thank god he was locked up in a mental institution. I agree on Dead and Qourthon, though.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Darsk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:40 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Nattramn was a fucking idiot. Thank god he was locked up in a mental institution. I agree on Dead and Qourthon, though.

Well, I am sorry not for Nattramn himself, but for the fact that his mental illness forced him to stop releasing more stuff as Silencer.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:01 pm 

Chuck because he did not fucking deserve cancer, why must life be so cruel?

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:28 pm 

Darsk wrote:
...stop releasing more stuff as Silencer.

On one hand, yes, Silencer is very cool.

On the other hand, who needs more Silencer when we have Bethlehem?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:42 pm 

I second Chuck; such a harsh way to go. Layne Staley a bit; apparently when he died all his teeth had fallen out and he just sat around in his feces, playing videogames and spitting vitriol about his former bandmates. I realize heroin addiction starts with a conscious decision, but still... Harsh.

EDIT: typo

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:19 pm 

Quorthon, I never worked out why he lied so much.
So Venom is the reason Bathory started? Nothing to be ashamed by there.
Hammerheart started a whole sub genre, that's something to be really impressed by.

Also, it was a real case of hit and miss by the end of his career, maybe it was due to his drug addiction?
Who knows but he sure as fuck didn't deserve to die from it.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:02 pm 

You never knew what to believe about Quorthon, as far as his interviews and whatnot. I hadn't heard that he had a drug problem; but it would make sense considering he was pretty young to die of "heart failure" or whatever the official cause was.

The ones I feel the worst for are the ones who got screwed over by their former bandmates or by their record label, and these circumstances ended up destroying their career. Max Cavalera kind of got fucked over by the remnants of Sepultura, for instance. He was one of the two founding members, so in a way he got kicked out of his own band! Maybe Dan Lilker would be on that list- sounds like Anthrax fucked him over pretty good. I WOULD include Dave Mustaine on that list but I wont (i.e. he's a jerk, plus he's plenty successful in his own right.)

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:05 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Maybe Dan Lilker would be on that list- sounds like Anthrax fucked him over pretty good.

I thought they kicked him out because Lilker was being lazy. I read somewhere he'd show up to rehearsals late and take forever to learn his parts.

Oxenkiller wrote:
I WOULD include Dave Mustaine on that list but I wont (i.e. he's a jerk, plus he's plenty successful in his own right.)

Seconding.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:32 pm 

It's quite current, and probably won't do him any harm in the long-term, but I certainly have a ton of sympathy for John Baizley - A broken arm, a broken leg, and a premature end to a tour which would have been the first by a Baroness who had truly made it, as it were.

Also, agree on Quorthon. I haven't watched/read as many interviews as I should, but he seemed very...unfulfilled...in life.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:51 pm 

Definitely Layne Staley. Nobody deserves what he went through, even if it was something he started going himself.

I predict this thread to soon be filled with the usual levels of ridiculous Chuck fellation.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:29 pm 

Desperta_Ferro wrote:
Jason Becker.

Oh yes, forgot about Jason. Definitely agree.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:31 pm 

Valfar (Windir). He wasn't hurting anyone, he wasn't doing anything wrong,; he just hiking to his family's cabin in the mountains when he was caught in a sudden snowstorm. On the other hand, I find such a death to be kind of respectable, and I suspect he would prefer dying that way to wasting away in a hospital room.

And I really feel bad for Mark Reale (Riot), because he WAS wasting away in a hospital room with a terrible disease. He seemed like a good guy, and Riot was experiencing something of a resurgence in popularity.

I have to mention Dio as well. He lived a full life, but 67 isn't that old, and I understand that stomach cancer is pretty agonizing.

Wesley Willis's story is pretty sad too. He struggled with his schizophrenia throughout his life, and he did the best he could with it by making music and drawing pictures. A lot of people laugh at him - he has some hilarious songs, after all - but he really was gifted, despite his illness. Just look at some of the drawings he did of various places in Chicago. He could see something once and draw it (accurately) from memory.

PostMetalActivist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:26 am 

Valfar is my number one, at the height of my black metal phase... I discovered the awesome Windir with however few things they had then. Realized it was BM at its supreme finest.

I get back into metal after a hiatus for various reason, and find he died in most kvlt Norwegian way possible(Although probably a horrific way to go), but still... His music was amazing to me to this day, and I'm not even the biggest BM fan any more.

Dimebag Darrel thing was fucked up wasn't it?(Never read much, but didn't a fan just come on stage and straight shoot him? That's pretty fucked if I'm not totally mistaken,

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:28 am 

PostMetalActivist wrote:
Dimebag Darrel thing was fucked up wasn't it?(Never read much, but didn't a fan just come on stage and straight shoot him? That's pretty fucked if I'm not totally mistaken,

Yes. I didn't like the music at all but that was a very, very unfortunate situation. If you see the video, he just went in through the back of the gig, walked on stage and opened fire until he himself got shot.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:04 am 

quorthon died too young in my opinion

valfar died respectfully by a natural cause, he was part of one of the greatest viking metal/ black metal bands in history in my opinion.

varg i feel bad for, for alot of reasons. I think he is very insecure about alot of things today that alot of black metal musicians left behind in the 90's, that is just what I think based on alot of interviews and articles iv read about him from then to now.

demonaz I feel bad for him not being able to play guitar like he once did, i wasnt a huge fan of immortal's early work, but knowing you might not be ever able to improve at something you were once great at is a shitty feeling.

syd beret of pink floyd was an amazing musician, and him going out, mentally, i felt bad about. the early works he inspired were some of the best of pink floyd.

the last is a guy that was in my jazz guitar class, his name was rob keenan, excellent guitarist, alot older than me, definitely alot more progressive than me at learning, and he practiced alot more than I did. But a few weeks ago he was working and fell of a building, He suffered some major head injuries and brain damage, went into a coma for 12 days, and passed last Thursday. He was very healthy and active, and it really sucked to not see him before lessons, we usually talked about the music we'd been given, or soccer when the teacher came in. It really sucked he went out like that so early.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:22 am 

Syd Barett* Come, on, I'm not a grammar nazi, but put some effort in your writing, you're a native speaker too.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:18 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Syd Barett* Come, on, I'm not a grammar nazi, but put some effort in your writing, you're a native speaker too.

A case of the mod calling the kettle black? (It's Barrett)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:24 am 

:ugh: Still nearer than "beret", eh? I should get a decent sleeping schedule, I guess.

:oh shit:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:04 am 

Metantoine wrote:
you're a native speaker too.

his Bandcamp sez wrote:
Andre Perez

You sure about that, Meta?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:25 am 

He's from Illinois, anyway. Maybe he's not a native speaker but he's surrounded by English speaking people and I warned him before about his grammar.

Is it "bukkake on Tony's modding" day? 'cause that's not written on my calendar! :(

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:59 am 

No mention of Roky Erikson yet? Poor bastard's story is like "One flew over the cookoo's nest" in real life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roky_Erikson

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:17 am 

Man, totally forgot about Valfar. Yeah, I feel bad for him dying so young. He was hella gifted, and this "he died naturally and respectably" crap is retarded. He died in his 20s, leaving a pregnant wife all alone. Tragic.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:50 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
You never knew what to believe about Quorthon, as far as his interviews and whatnot. I hadn't heard that he had a drug problem; but it would make sense considering he was pretty young to die of "heart failure" or whatever the official cause was.
Not really, I had a friend who had a heart attack at 28 or something, he's still alive though.

Aztakea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:56 am 

slaughterdethmetal666 wrote:

Fucking A! Totally and completely underestimated, and does not deserve to walk in mr. King's shadow. Especially, since - in my opinion - Hanneman is more competent than his partner.

Others I feel bad and sad for is the long past Per Yngve Ohlin aka DEAD from Morid/Mayhem. He seemed to be a pretty odd guy with lot of issues inside, he has stated he didn't belong here and to say he worshiped death is an understatement. He'd been bullied over many years, got beaten so severly he almost died at young age. And when he then started in Mayhem things got worse. Öystein aka Euronymous (guitarist) have been said to encourage and pushed him to kill him self, and left promise after promise to Dead that soon is our big break and the money'll be rollin'. Around the time of the suicide the two became more and more hostile against each other, Öystein is said to have been really mean (bad choice of word perhaps) and up in Dead's face all the time so occasionally he took his pillow and went out in the woods to get away from Öystein and get som sleep.

Also do I feel bad for Dimebag. He was taken from us way too early and had so much more to give. One person that absolutely didn't derserve death. At least he died on stage, doing what he loved...

Oh, and Quorthon of course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT8lW73jexU

https://aztakea.bandcamp.com/releases

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:53 pm 

Euronymous, on the other hand, is someone I don't feel bad for. Glad Varg killed the fuck out of him.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:25 pm 

Aztakea wrote:
left promise after promise to Dead that soon is our big break and the money'll be rollin'.

That was that a threat right?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:31 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Definitely Layne Staley. Nobody deserves what he went through, even if it was something he started going himself.

It's a shame as it destroyed his amazing voice and he died young in a horrible way, but Jerry Cantrell was also just as addicted to heroin. He'd spend weeks doing the same thing, just getting high and pissing in bottles. But he made it through.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Darsk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:11 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:

Actually, Quorthon won his battle against drug addiction. And he was afflicted by heart weakness long time before the myocardial infarction. Heart failure, not drugs, killed him.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:48 pm 

Quote:
Actually, Quorthon won his battle against drug addiction. And he was afflicted by heart weakness long time before the myocardial infarction. Heart failure, not drugs, killed him.

What was he addicted to, and where is it revealed to be the case? I'm interested.

Aztakea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:40 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Euronymous, on the other hand, is someone I don't feel bad for. Glad Varg killed the fuck out of him.

Definitely. He came up with some killer riffs but in the end he seemed to be nothing more than a mama's boy-coward-crop-topwearing piece of shit.

Aztakea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:43 pm 

Darsk wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:

Wasn't even the heart disease congenital? I believe I've read that in an interview with his father.

Aztakea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:49 pm 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
Aztakea wrote:
left promise after promise to Dead that soon is our big break and the money'll be rollin'.

That was that a threat right?

Sharp observation! Maybe that was Öysteins ulterior motive behind encouraging/driving Pelle to his suicide (if it's true, which I believe it was). He knew Mayhem would explode over the world with an event like that behind the band on top of all the other auras of mysticism the group had gained in their early years.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next