Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
grooveris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:01 am 

Okay, I saw one user asking specific recommendation on trip hop, so I decided to make a thread in general for trip hop: favorite artists, albums, underrated stuff, etc.
We all know Portishead, Massive Attack, Tricky, Sneaker Pimps, Mono. What do you know/like beside these? Although we could talk a lot about stuff which, let say, Ninja tune, has been putting out, mixing trip hop with jazz, dnb, but maybe lets focus more on ,,classical" trip hop approach.
My latest discoveries were Hooverphonic (yep, quite known band though) and especially Manadalay's Empathy.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:16 am 

You mean the British Mono? I actually only knew the Japanese post-rock band. :)

A band that goes under the radar many times is Lamb, maybe because of their turn for a more mainstream sound on What Sounds. However their first couple of albums are a wild brew of trip hop with jazz and electro influences. Granted it's a bit of an acquired taste but Fear Of Fours is quite an interesting album.

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:18 am 

Hmm. I've never been quite sure how trip-hoppy the 'trip-hop' I listen to is [everything I know about the style comes from wiki, supposedly it's quite broad], but here's a few projects I like a lot:

Phantogram

Blue Foundation

Saltillo

Roebeck

My DeviantArt
My old band/project

grooveris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:30 am 

Yeah, I meant British Mono, one-album-band, we could say so, ,,Formica Blues" - great album.
I have listened to Lamb couple of times, but it lacked dark, psychedelic sound, the rhythm was more electro oriented. But maybe I got the wrongs tracks.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:35 pm 

grooveris wrote:
Yeah, I meant British Mono, one-album-band, we could say so, ,,Formica Blues" - great album.
I have listened to Lamb couple of times, but it lacked dark, psychedelic sound, the rhythm was more electro oriented. But maybe I got the wrongs tracks.

I though so. Well, from your description you must have gotten the right tracks as that's pretty much Lamb's style. ;)

You can check a few of Ulver's later works if you want some experimental trip hop that's really dark and brooding. Blood Inside might be a good album to check.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:07 pm 

Good chance you've already heard DJ Shadow - Endtroducing. If not, hurry up and listen to it.

grooveris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:14 am 

Ulver's latest output is really impressive, though it is not pure trip hop, but still cool stuff.
As for DJ shadow's endtroducing, wow, after one listen definitely will look for original CD, thanx

Darkwolf18
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:35 pm 

Speaking of Ulver, check out Perdition City, it's the closest they have ever come to being trip-hop.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:22 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=89944

Trip hop would fit in "etc", I don't think it deserves its own thread here.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

grooveris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:46 am 

I would say trip hop have nothing in common with ,,post/drone/shoegaze". And ,,etc" usually means ,,X, Y, Z and something like that"

PostMetalActivist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:26 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=89944

Trip hop would fit in "etc", I don't think it deserves its own thread here.

Not sure if you are serious... how does it fit with drone type music? Etc. doesn't mean anything it means along the lines of genres stated in the sentence it was used.

Trip Hop is so far from those genres.

It would be very out of place to have people discussing DJ Shadow and Portiishead alongside bands like ISIS, Sunn O))), and basically anything where they use instruments.

There is literally nothing in common, no similar structures or instruments. So I really don't see how it could fit in that thread except for it just being an "etc." genre of music. But the etc. at the end of the shoegaze/drone thread means like similar to the stuff that was listed before in said thread. Not totally unrelated genres like trip hop or acid jazz(as i stated in beginning of post)

grooveris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:14 am 

Well said.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:34 am 

I never said trip hop had something in common with these other genres, simply that it DOESN'T deserve a sticky help thread on the METAL archives. I thought I was quite clear with my post, the genre doesn't attract enough posters (something you'll see if you look at the numbers of posts in this thread) to have a thread of its own in the front page of the Rec central and it could be discussed in a more "general" thread along with other genres.

No need to get all condescendant, I know the differences between Portishead* and Sunn O))), thanks.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

PostMetalActivist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:34 am 

Metantoine wrote:
I never said trip hop had something in common with these other genres, simply that it DOESN'T deserve a sticky help thread on the METAL archives. I thought I was quite clear with my post, the genre doesn't attract enough posters (something you'll see if you look at the numbers of posts in this thread) to have a thread of its own in the front page of the Rec central and it could be discussed in a more "general" thread along with other genres.

No need to get all condescendant, I know the differences between Portishead* and Sunn O))), thanks.

I'm sorry mate, I really didn't mean to come across as a douche. I think I've stated before I might be bipolar, I really don't mean anything I say when I get mean. I'm usually a really nice person. And I feel totally embarrassed when this stuff happened in public or online. I just thought you might have skimmed the title and thread and not fully understood what was being discussed, I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence in any way. And I'll stop trying to pigeonhole things and do that elitist crap because it turns me off, I apologize once again. :)

I agree completely that this thread shouldn't even belong here, I REALLY doubt enough metal heads are into trip hop to make this worthy. I'm one, but really I don't count myself considering I can listen to about any genre so long as it's good music.

Really you should close it, it won't get any use, even as a fan of the music I won't post here. It's such an off-shoot genre it can't really spawn many conversations other than oggling over DJ Shadow/Krush, Cut Chemist, and all those huge name instrumental guys.

Reply to topic