Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:01 am 

If you've seen this show, what do you think of it?

Personally, I like that a somewhat popular show on metal exists but it'd be good to see them talking about extreme metal.
I find the show is half the time unwatchable as they are constantly talking about bands like Dokken which I didn't actually realize had such a big fanbase until I saw the show.

That Eddie Trunk guy seems pretty close minded and would most likely be a douche bag to meet in real life but there's one guy there who seems to like extreme metal but doesn't get much of a talk time which is a real shame.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:17 am 

We've had probably two threads on this show already and we all came to the same conclusion. Either watch it or don't.

slaughterdethmetal666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:04 pm 

I like the show ..but yeah..they need to touch down on extreme metal more

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:52 pm 

I think the guys on the show are aware of the underground, they just can't touch the more controversial aspects of black and death due to offending idiot Christian fundamentalists. They just continue to cover the same tired and terrible bands and parody the very namesake of their show.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:01 pm 

I'm pretty sure most black metal musicians wouldn't want to be on that show anyway.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:13 pm 

This show is sad from all aspects. A bunch of aging metal fans who only give appreciation to older 'metal' bands. The heaviest metal band anyone on that show that anyone is willing to discuss is Slayer. Truly a show you'd expect to find on VH1.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:28 pm 

It's funny that people seem to think that the fact that they don't cover extreme metal is this programme's biggest problem. Even if they did cover extreme metal; it'd still be the same basic fluff with gushing interviews and two cretins dribbling on the side of Eddie Trunk (who, admittedly, does seem to know a least a bit about the music he likes, unlike the two "comedians" present). I'd be perfectly fine with a programme that covered old metal (notably the show is on VH1 Classic) as long as it was interesting. Eh, I'd say it's probably a bit better than Sam Dunn's stuff.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:38 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
It's funny that people seem to think that the fact that they don't cover extreme metal is this programme's biggest problem. Even if they did cover extreme metal; it'd still be the same basic fluff with gushing interviews and two cretins dribbling on the side of Eddie Trunk (who, admittedly, does seem to know a least a bit about the music he likes, unlike the two "comedians" present). I'd be perfectly fine with a programme that covered old metal (notably the show is on VH1 Classic) as long as it was interesting. Eh, I'd say it's probably a bit better than Sam Dunn's stuff.

It is the program's biggest problem. Extreme metal more or less makes up the bulk of metal today (and it's been that way for awhile). Extreme metal also happens to be where most of the interesting concepts in metal comes from. This show is so fucking irrelevant, I couldn't care less about the talent of the people hosting it.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:53 pm 

Yeah, but if they focused on extreme metal it'd just be a crappy show that focused on extreme metal. Its content might vary but the quality would still be abysmal, it would still be uninteresting regardless of whether they interviewed Abbath or Don fucking Dokken.

slaughterdethmetal666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:14 pm 

Not many metal discussion shows these days..at least appreciate this one.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:13 pm 

I'll just say this. One of their top 5's shocked and disgusted me. The topic was the top 5 sophomore albums, and NO ONE even mentioned Sad Wings of Destiny! Old metal that everyone knows about is what the show's all about, but they failed to mention that all time classic. I'll bet they're all of the "Priest never found their sound until British Steel" opinion. Blech.

One cool thing though was on one episode they mentioned Pentagram (the doom band), and plugged their Last Days Here documentary.

Sanctium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:40 pm 

No show has angered Metalheads more than that 'metal' show

veyita88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:59 pm 

I kind of like the show,is fairly intersting,sometimes they get into pointless discussions,and that guy Eddie Trunk can be pretty annoying and loud sometimes,he get´s over excited with discussing stupid things.

I don´t care if they discuss extreme metal or not as im not much a fan of the genres (i like some death metal,but i dislike most black) and it would be really odd seing them discussing them,say,Morbid Angel,it just doesn´t fit with the show atmosphere.

Their excuse is that the show is aired on VH1 classic,so they focuss supossedly on classic heavy metal,hard rock and thrash.They have sometimes guest like Lemmy,Chuck Billy,Malmsteem,Bobby Blitz,wich is cool.If they had more guest like that instead of the Dokkens,Extreme,Testla (i mean,some glam is not bad but there is too much of it),also the same old discussions about bands like Guns and Roses and Van Halen are really tiresome,more bands like Accept,Riot,Helloween,Exodus,etc would be good.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:05 pm 

They know a bit about metal but come one guys...its vh1...you cant expect to see abbath or fenriz doing interviews there.
I had a good surprise with Anvil and cool dudes like that, sometimes they name a few cool less known metal bands or shit like that.
Its completely boring if you been metal for a while or if you know a bit about it, but i guess its ok for the kids that are just starting to listen to heavy stuff.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:09 pm 

They know a bit about metal but come one guys...its vh1...you cant expect to see abbath or fenriz doing interviews there.
I had a good surprise with Anvil, Chuck Billy, Dave Mustaine and cool dudes like that, sometimes they name a few cool less known metal bands.
Its completely boring if you been metal for a while or if you know a bit about it, but i guess its ok for the kids that are just starting to listen to heavy stuff.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Last edited by IanThrash on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mistereyedee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:45 pm 

Eh. That show is 50/50.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:41 pm 

Overall I like it. That said though, that commercial that they sometimes show for it is unbearably pretentious masturbation.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:11 pm 

I actually remembered to check out Accept because they were plugging Stalingrad on that show.

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:25 pm 

Mistereyedee wrote:
Eh. That show is 50/50.

Yeah, 50% garbage and 50% fucking garbage.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:53 pm 

In the last topic, someone mentioned that VH1 had a tight hold on who is and isnt on the show, or even mentioned. VH1 in my opinion fucks themselves here because, as this topic has shown, there are metal heads who would watch it if it had more. They limit themselves to their classic audience rather than let new members in. If they event maybe mentioned a lesser known band or artist in each episode, that would atleast be something.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:01 pm 

Never seen this show, but...

t1337Dude wrote:
Extreme metal also happens to be where most of the interesting concepts in metal comes from.

:lol: No, every genre has interesting things in it. Saying otherwise is wrong.

JoeBlakkk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:24 pm 

I think the show would be a lot easier to digest if they just called it "That Hard Rock Show"
The show is so safe, its awful. Although what would we expect on VH1

veyita88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:27 pm 

Quote:
Extreme metal more or less makes up the bulk of metal today (and it's been that way for awhile).

Maybe that can be reason why i don´t like much metal of today...Also don´t know if im the only one,but i always have disliked when people say extreme metal.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:12 am 

You mean That 80s' Hard Rock show ft Overkill, Maiden, Motorhead and Metallica?

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:08 am 

absurder21 wrote:
You mean That 80s' Hard Rock show ft Overkill, Maiden, Motorhead and Metallica?

And Accept, Down, Hatebreed, with mentions of Celtic Frost.

The show is far from perfect, and can get absolutely woeful at times - such as when Eddie Trunk goes off about KISS not being in the rock n roll hall of fame as if it is something important, or when they just suck up to whoever they are interviewing/try to demonize others - there was a hilarious interview with Winger in which Eddie went off on Mike Judge for Beavis and Butthead, and Kip Winger came off as ridiculously over the top about the whole thing (For those who might not be aware, Beavis and Butthead featured a nerdy, "looser" character, who wore a Winger shirt). I think it culminated with Trunk saying "And I mean, where is he (Mike Judge) now?! Compared to you!"

Well, Eddie, Matt has had a continued career making hilarious cartoons, and Winger has floated in the twilight zone of being a rather easily digestible and not that substantial band of session musicians who haven't put out a decent album in a long, long time.

Anyway! The show also has its merits - often when I watch it is just based on who is appearing for the episode - if I don't care, I won't give it a look, but as a fan of 80s hard rock, there is often a lot of stuff on it that I find interesting. The guys themselves are interested in the heavier sides of metal, but due to their contract they wouldn't be able to talk about them too much (the odd reference does sneak in). I know someone mentioned VH1 could gain a new audience - but do you honestly think they'd bother? If the show geared itself towards doom, death, black and all the rest, a large percentage of their fanbase would drop off, and only the handful of people into those genres that would be interested in watching a show about stuff they already know would flick on.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:08 am 

*double post, my bad.*

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Last edited by TheUglySoldier on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:12 am 

The few times I've actually seen it they seemed to focus about 80% of the show on 80s hard rock and glam crap, and the other 20% on Metallica worship. I've also seen a few clips and partial episodes on Youtube but have yet to see anything worthwhile. Pretty useless show.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:03 am 

I think its good for what it is and the fact that its on a vh1 channel(though vh1 has been shit for at least a decade), considering neither them or Mtv have played any music shows in years. There was a good one back in 2000/01 that Scott Ian hosted, but didnt last long. Luckily theres youtube.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:32 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Eddie Trunk........does seem to know a least a bit about the music he likes, unlike the two "comedians" present).
You're right about this. However, Eddie Trunk is pretty narrow minded when it comes to a lot of extreme metal, which a lot of people have already said. I find him to be extremely annoying and egotistical, and thinking he's so smart and knows everything about everything. Is there any possible way to further boost his ego than to have a segment entitled, "Stump the Trunk"? The other two guys are even worse. One of them hosts a show on XM Radio's classic rock station, but he plays bands like Disturbed and Slipknot, which is absolutely obnoxious...not because I don't care for these bands, but because they're not even remotely "classic rock". I don't care for any of them.

Just because it has the word "metal" in the title, doesn't mean it's worth watching, and I don't feel that it is...not for me, anyway.

eerie_noctular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:14 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:

And Accept, Down, Hatebreed, with mentions of Celtic Frost.

The show is far from perfect, and can get absolutely woeful at times - such as when Eddie Trunk goes off about KISS not being in the rock n roll hall of fame as if it is something important, or when they just suck up to whoever they are interviewing/try to demonize others - there was a hilarious interview with Winger in which Eddie went off on Mike Judge for Beavis and Butthead, and Kip Winger came off as ridiculously over the top about the whole thing (For those who might not be aware, Beavis and Butthead featured a nerdy, "looser" character, who wore a Winger shirt). I think it culminated with Trunk saying "And I mean, where is he (Mike Judge) now?! Compared to you!"

Well, Eddie, Matt has had a continued career making hilarious cartoons, and Winger has floated in the twilight zone of being a rather easily digestible and not that substantial band of session musicians who haven't put out a decent album in a long, long time.

Anyway! The show also has its merits - often when I watch it is just based on who is appearing for the episode - if I don't care, I won't give it a look, but as a fan of 80s hard rock, there is often a lot of stuff on it that I find interesting. The guys themselves are interested in the heavier sides of metal, but due to their contract they wouldn't be able to talk about them too much (the odd reference does sneak in). I know someone mentioned VH1 could gain a new audience - but do you honestly think they'd bother? If the show geared itself towards doom, death, black and all the rest, a large percentage of their fanbase would drop off, and only the handful of people into those genres that would be interested in watching a show about stuff they already know would flick on.

I do have to agree - as an "older" metalhead I do enjoy some aspects of this show but I do with they would dive underground occassionally. Regardless, I take it with a grain of salt.
http://linktr.ee/TwistedSkiesWX/

"There are times when one would like to hang the whole human race and finish the farce." - Samuel Langhorne Clemens

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:31 am 

I like the show for what it is more than hating for what it isn't. I generally enjoy most of the interviews they do, although sometimes they have questionable guests. Like last year, they had a guitarist from Pearl Jam, and this season they are going to have the guitarist from Creed, but they are also going to have King Diamond, too (on the same show, no less), and where else are you going to see King Diamond interviewed on television, at least in the US?

They've addressed the issue of having no extreme metal bands on the show. They mostly blamed it on the execs at VH-1, although Eddie Trunk also stated that he doesn't like extreme metal (the other 2 claimed to be fans), soI don't ever see it happening.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:37 am 

The problem I have with the show is they never criticize anything. It's all rah-rah positive. They'll have a guitarist from some 80s hair band come on the show who has a new shit CD out, and they'll praise the thing like it's great. And with discussions about artists and albums, they never ever SHIT on anything that deserves it.

eerie_noctular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:38 am 

TadGhostal wrote:
I like the show for what it is more than hating for what it isn't. I generally enjoy most of the interviews they do, although sometimes they have questionable guests. Like last year, they had a guitarist from Pearl Jam, and this season they are going to have the guitarist from Creed, but they are also going to have King Diamond, too (on the same show, no less), and where else are you going to see King Diamond interviewed on television, at least in the US?

They've addressed the issue of having no extreme metal bands on the show. They mostly blamed it on the execs at VH-1, although Eddie Trunk also stated that he doesn't like extreme metal (the other 2 claimed to be fans), soI don't ever see it happening.

Oddly enough, the guitarist from Creed is a fair guest as he is a fan of thrash metal. I doubt they will speak about Creed much.
http://linktr.ee/TwistedSkiesWX/

"There are times when one would like to hang the whole human race and finish the farce." - Samuel Langhorne Clemens

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:49 pm 

Big_Grand wrote:
In the last topic, someone mentioned that VH1 had a tight hold on who is and isnt on the show, or even mentioned. VH1 in my opinion fucks themselves here because, as this topic has shown, there are metal heads who would watch it if it had more. They limit themselves to their classic audience rather than let new members in. If they event maybe mentioned a lesser known band or artist in each episode, that would atleast be something.

You think VH1 doesn't know exactly what it's doing? Demographics and projected viewer numbers are the #1 concern of all stations. They're not going to gain viewers by showing underground metal or anything else that's not exactly what they're showing right now. They'd be fucking themselves if they DID start doing what you suggest.

Not that I'm accusing you of this, but one of the more hilarious things I saw in the last few days was the stream of idiots on facebook suggesting that it was an "outrage" that Iron Maiden, Saxon, and even ridiculously-niche NWOBHM bands like Diamond Head weren't included in the "British music showcase" in the London Olympics closing ceremony. It's sentiments like these that make me wonder whether heavy metal fans actually ever visit the real world...

RacoCooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:20 pm 

eerie_noctular wrote:
TadGhostal wrote:

Oddly enough, the guitarist from Creed is a fair guest as he is a fan of thrash metal. I doubt they will speak about Creed much.

That's because he's been long done with Creed, he's too busy with his Tremonti metal project and his main band Alter Bridge (which has all the other members of Creed minus their douche singer).

Anyway, I think That Metal Show is fun to watch, but I do wish they'd be a little more critical sometimes. I also think it'd be nice to feature more obscure metal bands that don't get much exposure on TV.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:22 pm 

I've seen a handful of episodes but I've never found it very entertaining. It's just a lot of ass-kissing, and a lot of big name guests. They rarely talk about anything underground.

I get why Jim Florentine and Don Jamieson do the show (probably a nice paycheck involved), but I enjoy their Terrorizing Telemarketers prank CDs and their "Meet the Creeps" DVDs WAY more than their work on this show. I've even seen both of them live doing standup too, and they were better at that than they are talking about metal on this show. Just my opinion...

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:34 pm 

t1337Dude wrote:
Extreme metal also happens to be where most of the interesting concepts in metal comes from.

Extreme metal for extreme idiots.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:18 pm 

I thought it was amusing when they asked Trunk who the first singer of Fates Warning was and his answer was "I have no idea". And when they were talking about Riot in the "whatever happened to" section they didn't even mention Immortal Soul by name. Those two events kind of annoyed me. Also when they introduced Russell Allen mainly as the singer of Adrenaline Mob and not Symphony X.

I used to watch the show a lot just to know how metal was being shown to the average person but then I realized that despite the occasional interesting guest the show's not made for a real metalhead. And so I moved on.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:29 pm 

Metallic Shock wrote:
I thought it was amusing when they asked Trunk who the first singer of Fates Warning was and his answer was "I have no idea". And when they were talking about Riot in the "whatever happened to" section they didn't even mention Immortal Soul by name. Those two events kind of annoyed me. Also when they introduced Russell Allen mainly as the singer of Adrenaline Mob and not Symphony X.

I used to watch the show a lot just to know how metal was being shown to the average person but then I realized that despite the occasional interesting guest the show's not made for a real metalhead. And so I moved on.

If I recall correctly, Russell Allen was there to promote Adrenaline Mob so that makes sense. Plus, Mike Portnoy is their buddy and they have promote the shit out of his lame products. That guy is on the show so much I think he might live under the stage.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:17 pm 

While I can't help but (sort of) respect Eddie Trunk, TMS is a little bit too formulaic for my tastes in terms of the bands who guest on the show and it's got a kind of "damning with faint praise" thing going on which I don't really like. Also, VH1 says who can or can't be on the show, so I'd rather watch something like Metal Evolution which actually has some semblance of variety

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next