Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:15 am 

Hello everyone,

This question is for all the maudlin of the Well fans in the forum.
Could anyone explain the meaning behind the lines:
"Oraios
Topio
Petra
Ypnos," and
"Binah
Geburah
Hod
Yesod"

I'm guessing that the first four words have something to do with songs like 'Geography' and 'They Aren't All Beautiful'.

misogynisticfeminist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:10 pm 

That song is supposed to have some secret meaning that links the two albums together. Have fun trying to figure it out! I have no clue...

AEgg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:21 pm 

The second set of words originate from the Kabbalah Tree of Death (opposite of the Tree of Life), called the Qliphoth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_death_(Kabbalah)

They are basically the "anti-virtues" of God.

I haven't been able to find anything about the first set of words, but the lines "I saw the branches of a tree/Falling on these planets" right after them seem to suggest that they are deities or evil spirits of some sort.

As for the specific overall meaning of the song, I'm not sure.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:40 pm 

The first set of words is in Greek.

Beautiful
Landscape
Stone
Sleep

DeathspellDelta wrote:
I'm guessing that the first four words have something to do with songs like 'Geography' and 'They Aren't All Beautiful'.

Kind of, plus you have "Pondering a Wall" and "Catharsis of Sea-Sleep and Dreaming Shrines" from the previous album, which also has a song called "Beauty" in the 2007 remaster.

Rotting_Christ_Mike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:59 pm 

^ I was going to post that. It should be noted that the first one is in the masculine version of the word, if that makes any difference in the meaning for you.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:03 am 

It's part of the big puzzle of Bath/Leaving Your Body Map. Has anybody solved it? I've been working on it a little but haven't solved it yet. Please don't spoil if you know the answer! I've heard it's kind if inane but it's all about the journey for me anyway. I wouldn't mind clues if there's any path I have missed; if I'm on the right track I don't need to know any more (yet). Here's what I know so far:

Spoiler: show
The Secret Song is linked to the main albums by the drawing of a chord in a stave in both booklets which is replicated on the disc of The Secret Song. I think that this is probably related to the non-standard tuning used on "several songs" on the albums; I am pretty sure that this refers to the four interludes and maybe more but I haven't looked into that yet.

The Greek words I think relate to four songs on the albums. My guess is Beautiful - They Aren't All Beautiful (I'm ignoring Beauty as this isn't on Bath/LYBM and is only a bonus anyway); Landscape - Geography; Stone - Stones of October's Sobbing; Sleep - Sleep is a Curse.

Also look at the Hebrew lettering in the booklets. Each Interlude has two sets of symbols. One is the name of one of the serphiroth, the "planets" of the tree of life, hence the tree/planets lyric. These correspond to the phoenetic spellings of the same four sephiroth, Binah, Geburah, Hod, Yesod. Each of these planets is also named in English in the lyrics of Birth Pangs of Astral Projection.

"But I know there are mansions out there,
Maybe on Saturn or Mars or Mercury or Luna,
Maybe on Saturn or Mars or Mercury or Luna,
...Maybe this is a clue. "

I have not yet picked through all the of lyrics for other clues.

I don't know exactly what the other Hebrew letters mean in the Interlude artwork but I strongly suspect that they correspond to the paths of the tree of life, each one of which has an associated symbol, number, tarot card etc. I think the numbers are important but I'm not too sure yet. The lyrics of the Secret Song also make mention of using the first words of certain lines. I think the idea is use the Hebrew symbols with the tree of life and produce a set of numbers, then pull a message out of the first lines of the correct songs. It's actually kind of blatant in the applicable lyrics:

"I read into these four songs
The numbers of the lines
In a magical language
And wrote the first words

And this is a great secret "

So still working away! I've tried a little first-wording but only have garbage so far. I haven't looked into the Qliphoth/Tree of Death angle yet. Not sure if that's an angle worth exploring. References to shells, dark aspects, alternative interpretations in the lyrics of the albums would be clues that this is important after all. Note that I haven't googled this or anything, the only clue I had starting off was that the secret song is the key to the puzzle. I only know anything about the Sephiroth because I recently read Promethea...

Reply to topic