* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:24 pm 

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured ... ok-burner/

Quote:
Despite the exhortations of much extreme metal that life isn’t worth living there are things left to get excited about. One of them is the upcoming album from Pig Destroyer, their first since dB’s 2007 album of the year Phantom Limb.

News flash: the new album from Relapse is called Book Burner and we’ve secured the first studio footage and cover art. We’re not sure if the title refers to Ray Bradbury’s classic dystopian novel Farenheit 451 but we do have a look at some of the workings at guitarist Scott Hull’s Visceral Sound Studios in Alexandria, Virginia.

The video was shot on Blake Harrison’s iPhone and shows new addition Adam Jarvis tracking drums and the band abusing their livers in fine fashion. The Pig Destroyer fridge is packed with more beer than a spring break hotel room; Jarvis swigs from an industrial-sized bottle of Jack Daniels and Scott Hull appears to enjoy energy drinks.

Five years is a long time. We’ve elected a new president and seen part of the nation tire of him; sort of got out of a recession and closed in on our 100th issue. Hull, who once sported a military regulation cut, now has long hair. Time has passed. So to those who’ve been playing and replaying Prowler In The Yard, get ready for your geek out moment of the week. Enjoy and tell the band what you think on Facebook. Then mark October 23 on your calendar.

Album art:

Studio footage (drumming only):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... CUsqVJe22U

Some of the best news I've heard this year. It's about time! Drumming sounds killer, and I'm sure it'll slay.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:30 pm 

Might be cool. Phantom Limb was a step down, but it's been a long time so I'll be interested to see what they bust out this time.

Last edited by Razakel on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:46 pm 

Phantom Limb stinks, but that being said the album art alone makes me wanna buy this right now.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:31 pm 

Chuffed like a kid before xmas for this.

Aftermath1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:19 pm 

Fucking ecstatic!

Going to miss Brian Harvey behind the kit though.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:40 pm 

That's a very impressive beer fridge. I expect the album to be as good as it.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:01 pm 

nice, is all I have to say

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:24 pm 

Been waiting for this one! Awesome cover art as well.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:34 pm 

I'm not the biggest PxDx fan, but I always check up on them. Phantom Limb had a couple cool riffs...

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:42 pm 

I’ll definitely check this out! I liked Phantom Limb when it came out, mind you I hadn’t heard Prowler in the Yard yet so I don’t think my expectations were as high as they would have been.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:25 pm 

Was just listening to Prowler In The Yard earlier today. Not too familiar with Pig Destroyer overall but I'm intrigued to turn how this turns out.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:01 pm 

yes, wicked! Pig Destroyer kick arse, i've only got painter of dead girls but it's a killer, my local music shop has natasha and phantom limb, when they're not $30 i'll buy them.
natasha's a bit different aye ha ha: http://pigdestroyer.bandcamp.com/album/natasha

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:14 pm 

yea Natasha is not a great representation of their sound at all since it's the only thing they really did like that.

I look forward to this. I didn't think Phantom Limb was terrible like some people said here, but It's my least favorite since it was less grind and more I guess expansive in sound. It but give me Prowler or Terrifier over it anyday. 38 counts and painter is great as hell too.

I don't really like the artwork. It looks like a preteen boy in a dress. hell maybe it is.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:48 pm 

re Natasha, yeah i reckon, i'm wading through it now
i like it, freaky stuff...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:33 pm 

yea the only song I can think that is close is Starbelly on Prowler. and they did a cover of the Melvins's Oven on 38 counts.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:50 pm 

I've always liked their vocalist. He can't shake your bones with his very voice like Barney Greenway, but he can scream like a mutherfucker.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:30 pm 

PxDx have always been very capable at doomy stuff. Starbelly added a nice twist to Prowler and is one of the reasons why it's so great IMO. Natasha is neat too. I hope there are couple of similar tracks on this album.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:58 am 

I've never really been a fan besides a few tracks from each album. They are yet to make a classic. Phantom Limb was pretty limp. They still don't have a bass player?

DisciplineOfRevenge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:31 am 

i'm looking forward to this. i love Prowler and Terrifyer. Phantom Limb is pretty good too.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:56 am 

so far, and i've played everything on bandcamp today, 38 counts of battery wins for me.
fucking melvins, carcass and dark angel covers?! WICKED :metal:
the rest of the album slays too though

i don't have enough pig destroyer in my collection, i'll fix this soon ha ha :grin:

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:12 am 

Very pumped for this. Even if the music doesn't match my expectations, I'm sure the lyrics will.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:29 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
so far, and i've played everything on bandcamp today, 38 counts of battery wins for me.

i don't have enough pig destroyer in my collection, i'll fix this soon ha ha :grin:

Are Nasum playing NZ? Go.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:34 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
dreadmeat wrote:

Are Nasum playing NZ? Go.

yeah they are man, i'll be there with bells on.

SadisticOrgasm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:35 am 

I don't think any future PD album will top the splendor of Prowler, yet I am waiting to hear what they have to offer this time. Sweet album art there.

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:52 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I don't really like the artwork. It looks like a preteen boy in a dress. hell maybe it is.

Its Pig Destroyer. When in doubt, take the more messed up interpretation of things.

I didn't like Phantom Limb overmuch (there's some ripping stuff there but overall it strayed too much onto the groove elements), but they've never released anything that wasn't at least worth a few spins. This'll go on preorder.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:00 am 

triggerhappy wrote:
PxDx have always been very capable at doomy stuff. Starbelly added a nice twist to Prowler and is one of the reasons why it's so great IMO. Natasha is neat too. I hope there are couple of similar tracks on this album.

I already said starbelly... maybe you didn't read that far into the thread. I also meantioned their cover of the melvins and sure in parts of other songs there are doomy parts. But Natasha is not a good representation of PD's sound. As in if someone is just getting into them I wouldn't suggest that song since out of their entire discography there are only 2 other songs similar.

No they don't have a bassist, only the guy who does keyboards for whatever reason. I didn't notice his addition to phantom limb at all. They really don't want a bassist otherwise they would've gotten one years and years ago.

And where the hell did you get that sig from? Cause I don't remember any of that, I'm just assuming you created it.

Zero_Nowhere, That's exactly what I did. Still don't like it though.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:58 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I already said starbelly... maybe you didn't read that far into the thread. I also meantioned their cover of the melvins and sure in parts of other songs there are doomy parts. But Natasha is not a good representation of PD's sound. As in if someone is just getting into them I wouldn't suggest that song since out of their entire discography there are only 2 other songs similar.

And where the hell did you get that sig from? Cause I don't remember any of that, I'm just assuming you created it.

Uh, I know that. I was in no way trying to disagree with you. All I'm saying is PxDx, while primarily playing death/grind, are actually pretty damn skilled when it comes to doom, and it shows on Starbelly and Natasha.

I did not make the sig up, neither do I remember where it was from.

Bruitiste
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:49 am 

Thanks, great news!

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:09 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Phantom Limb stinks, but that being said the album art alone makes me wanna buy this right now.

How can you say it stunk? It was Decibel's album of the year. It may not have suited your taste, but I don't know. I don't get the Prowler obsession. It's mostly directionless grind to me. Terrifyer and Phantom are where they started making songs distinguishable form one another. Phantom had great production and killer riffs. Girl in the Slayer Jacket was worth the price of admission for me.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:24 pm 

It definitely has it's moments, and it was enjoyable to some extent, but I guess coming off the heels of Terrifyer it just didn't click with me. I think Terrifyer is definitely their best work.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:45 pm 

FJ Receptor wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

How can you say it stunk? It was Decibel's album of the year.

Does this even mean anything?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:46 pm 

I kinda went off grind for a bit, but I should probably check Terrifyer out sometime.

FJ Receptor wrote:
Girl in the Slayer Jacket was worth the price of admission for me.

One of the reviews for Phantom Limb describes the lyrics as ‘teenage angst’ or something similarly pejorative, but I thought this song was a good example of the strength of the lyrics. Simple and straight forward yeah, but dark as hell, especially with the implication of childhood abuse at the end.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:08 pm 

Yeah, it means it was Decibel's album of the year.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:11 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
I kinda went off grind for a bit, but I should probably check Terrifyer out sometime.

FJ Receptor wrote:
Girl in the Slayer Jacket was worth the price of admission for me.

One of the reviews for Phantom Limb describes the lyrics as ‘teenage angst’ or something similarly pejorative, but I thought this song was a good example of the strength of the lyrics. Simple and straight forward yeah, but dark as hell, especially with the implication of childhood abuse at the end.

I absolutely love this song as well as Alexandria. Perhaps it's because I live in the area of Virginia where he mentions these areas in both songs, but both are very creepy and haunting. I would have loved to have seen a video for either of these songs get made. Much more so than for Loathsome.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:24 pm 

FJ Receptor wrote:

That's like saying "I like this and someone else does too; therefore it's good, and everyone must like it". Of course he can say it stinks; it's called an opinion.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:26 pm 

triggerhappy wrote:
FJ Receptor wrote:

That's like saying "I like this and someone else does too; therefore it's good, and everyone must like it". Of course he can say it stinks; it's called an opinion.

Hey man why don't you let him speak for himself since I was addressing him and not you. Furthermore, I was merely providing a counter to one opinion with another, in this case a pretty well respected metal magazine here in America.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:06 pm 

FJ Receptor wrote:

Which means nothing.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:43 pm 

Even though I could afford to go back and give it another listen after some years, I thought Phantom Limb was awesome. As for the lyrics? They're excellent just like they are most of the time. They're well written and very poetic, hardly the emo/angst ramblings of some teenager. SO ready for this release and to see them for a second time next year at MDF.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:12 pm 

FJ Receptor wrote:
a pretty well respected metal magazine here in America.

pffffffffffffffffffffft.

New Pig Destroyer. Good news, eh?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:41 pm 

Pig Destroyer disappoint me. I love their lyrics almost more than any others, but their music is terrible. I'm hoping they've evolved a little bit with this.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next