Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
odinofasgard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:05 am 

I've been wanting to get into board/card games for a while now but never knew where to start and don't know anyone who would want to play either. I've heard a lot about D&D and Warhammer, also a Lord of the Rings strategy game. Magic the Gathering also looks pretty cool. Anyone want to tell me whats the best way/game to start out with? Thanks.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:22 am 

Magic is great! If there's a local gamingstore you always go to, they probably have Friday Night Magic sessions going on. That would be a good place to start, together with a friend. Or just pick up a Fat Pack or Starter Deck, iirc they both contain rules and all the resources for you to start.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

odinofasgard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:40 am 

Thanks I'm definitely gonna pick Magic up.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:09 am 

Another good way to learn the basics of the game is the new Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 game (PSN, Xbox live and Steam!)

Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

odinofasgard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:50 am 

I'll check it out thanks

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:12 am 

Played Catan with four people tonight. MUCH better than 1v1. Things got intense in the last 2-3 rounds, nobody willing to trade anything, everybody scrambling for settlements, cities and development cards.

FUCKING SHEEP.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

PostMetalActivist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:46 pm 

This thread makes me want to get Arkham Horror. I don't know who I would play with though...

I was big into D&D back in the day. My pops used to play it in the 70's or whatever while him and his buddies fried on acid. I still have shitloads of original D&D figurines.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:17 pm 

Played my first session of D&D (4.0) last night. I'm a githzerai paladin. Really fun.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:09 pm 

Nice, githzerai are kinda cool. I'm playing a Tiefling warlock right now, it's very cool.

We played Betrayal at house on the hill yesterday. I was the traitor and it was almost impossible for me to win but it was fun nonetheless. Fuckin' Hellblazer tried to kill my character too :tongue: I won't reveal the plot of the story since, that would be lame.

Also, first time we manage to beat the mutation purple disease in Pandemic : On the Brink, yeah!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:27 pm 

Pandemic was definitely the coolest, lots of interesting elements in there. We came SO close to losing too.
You could have won at Betrayal Tony, if you didn't keep rolling zeros :p

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:32 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
We played Betrayal at house on the hill yesterday. I was the traitor and it was almost impossible for me to win but it was fun nonetheless. Fuckin' Hellblazer tried to kill my character too :tongue:

Ahem...

HellBlazer wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
especially if I can finish ahead of Hellblazer again! :tongue: :-D

I'll remember that next time...

Karma, beyotch! :nods:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:32 am 

Metantoine wrote:
We played Betrayal at house on the hill yesterday. I was the traitor and it was almost impossible for me to win but it was fun nonetheless.

Having played through every single scenario, I've gotta say that it appears to me as though some 'betrayals' are quite heavily skewed so that it's nigh impossible for the traitor to win
Spoiler: show
especially that werewolf scenario - the last couple of times I played that with my friends, one of us always managed to kill the traitor single-handedly with three rolls pretty much immediately after they were revealed, which surely shouldn't happen,
whilst a couple of situations make the traitor nigh-invincible, so if you're stuck in one of those, there's little chance of the other characters winning.
Spoiler: show
Those that come to mind especially are the scenario where the traitor rolls for 'Death' and the one with those multiplying tentacles (which, for some reason, crops up every second time I play this damn game; it happens so often these days that we just skip it and wait till the next Haunt Roll.
I suppose it makes sense to have situations like these, and pretty much every board game has them, but it seems a little obvious and rather heavy-handed in 'Betrayal...'; it takes away a little of the fun after a while. Still a great game, though.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:11 am 

Can anyone reccomend Relic to someone who, as well as the group, have never played Talisman?
This is a really unhelpful post, I apologise.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:56 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Played Catan with four people tonight. MUCH better than 1v1. Things got intense in the last 2-3 rounds, nobody willing to trade anything, everybody scrambling for settlements, cities and development cards.

FUCKING SHEEP.

:lol:

As it is, in the way of Catan. Try playing the expansion with up to six players. That gets pretty hectic towards the end.

My collection

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:52 pm 

Anyone given the 6th edition of 40k a whirl yet? Thoughts?

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:06 am 

I've yet to play a game with 6th edition rules, but all of my friends who play are totally divided on them.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the new wound allocation system.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:14 am 

I don't play 40k anymore but all the folks at my game store are complaining about how fliers take over the game now. I think it's bitchin that they brought back the psychic phase with cards and everything, Fantasy went back to card-based magic too. It's such a blast from the past! Except the magic/psychic decks are just one more essential item for GW to gouge you on.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:29 am 

interesting. I've only played maybe 6 or 7 games under 6th ed so far and I like it a lot. Its more fun somehow than 5th was by the end of its life cycle with the transport-spam lists. I think the fliers thing will even out after the first few codexes come out. I've run a vendetta in 1 game and it did nothing - got shot down the turn it came in. Unless you are being a douche and taking 6 nightsythes I think they just add a bit of flavour to the game.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:50 am 

Well see that's the thing, my game store is full of tournament fuckers (the 40k demographic at least) so they instantly find the gayest things to do with new rules and then build armies according to that. The competitive mentality doesn't make me miss the game too much as I'm not much of a strategist. These same guys speed paint and put half-assed models on the table (or play unpainted!) so their focus is clearly on a different part of the hobby than mine. But yeah fliers are awesome for character but I will say the proportions on some of them seem wildly inaccurate, just like some of the tanks and transports.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:55 am 

Thinking of swanning off to Warmachine/Hordes instead, it's not that I don't like 40k, I've just gotten a little bored of it.

(if only so I can have more armies that I can't paint for shit [broke my right hand many aeons ago, my bones don't heal very well so painting, drawing, etc, I find really difficult] [unrelated note, I have also broke my right leg and left ankle. I live in England, and the cold weather is finally here. I ACHE THEREFORE I AM)

Scorn - as an old Cron player I'm a little annoyed at suddenly everyone using them. Yeah, nightscythes are cool, don't flood the fucking board with them, you look like a dick!

Luxet77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:31 pm 

I came across this new game, definitely gonna buy, "a touch of evil" like the judas priest song :P supernatural themed (werewolves, vampires, ghosts, that sort of thing), has different difficulties and can be co-op or just every man for himself, lot of fun.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:17 pm 

I've been playing Touch of Evil, it's the newest game I've bought and I already got 1 expansion looking to get more. It's really fun playing the stock characters and it's easy to slip into period speak when playing the game. I love the B-movie aspect the game cards possess as well. I had played their other game Last Night on Earth and I think Touch of Evil is better, mostly because of the variant game play modes but also because who isn't fuckin sick of zombies already? There's other monsters out there to occupy the imagination, this fixation on zombies has hung around for far too long it sucks.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:23 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Well see that's the thing, my game store is full of tournament fuckers (the 40k demographic at least) so they instantly find the gayest things to do with new rules and then build armies according to that. The competitive mentality doesn't make me miss the game too much as I'm not much of a strategist. These same guys speed paint and put half-assed models on the table (or play unpainted!) so their focus is clearly on a different part of the hobby than mine. But yeah fliers are awesome for character but I will say the proportions on some of them seem wildly inaccurate, just like some of the tanks and transports.

Annoying fuckers arent they. The 40k scene is Aus is interesting as tournaments are set up to try and stop this douchery. ALL models must be painted or you instantly disqualify yourself. Plus we give a "comp" score - if you take an army solely designed to exploit loopholes in the rules, every opponent you face will mark you down. So your overall finishing score is nearly 50/50 between battle points and painting/sportsmanship/composition.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:20 pm 

Yeah there's different levels of tournaments here as well, the game store I go to is like the "junior" store in my area, there's a shop in the next town over that caters more to professional painters and gamers while my store is notorious for kids running wild and underage smoking and such. The tournaments at my store tend to be much more permissive, if I had a painted army for a tournament though and some dickhead set up across from me with bare plastic I would refuse to play his ass.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:43 pm 

I sorta painted myself into a corner as far as tournaments go. My 2 finished armies all through 5th ed were Dark Angels and Word Bearers. So once Space Wolves/Blood Angels/Grey Knights came out they were pretty fucked. I did an IG army, but from the Forgeworld Death Korps list as I was just playing club games due to school/work/band commitments. I've adapted the DKOK army to be playable out of the standard IG codex now, but it's gotten a bit out of control now haha. Apocalypse style out-of-control - titans/superheavies/gun emplacements/armoured company/200 infantry models. The new Chaos and Dark Angels codexes (codicii?) should be an awesome revitalisation to gaming. I'm still not that much into tournaments, but there is an Australia-wide 40k campaign starting soon, and as my local club folded recently it should be a good way to get some games in with people I've stayed in touch with.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:12 pm 

Oh dude if you can get in on a campaign that is WAY cooler than playing in tournaments. Especially if you can get a map going! That would be righteous I haven't done that in many years.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:47 pm 

Played this game called Ghost Stories yesterday. Very challenging, even on one of the easiest difficulties. The object of the game is basically to ward off ghosts as they appear every turn. It's full of really brutal effects and curse rolls. We were four players and lost our first game pretty intensely, but fared ever so slightly better on the second attempt. We will conquer it some day.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:51 pm 

I think we'll need my friend's help for that one. He has more experience with it. :nods: He says it can take upwards of 12 games before you win too.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:56 pm 

The game is very well done, the art is cool but it's challenging and we were playing the "easy'" difficulty too!!! You win when you kill the boss who's placed near the end of the ghost cards pile and we almost got to him on our 2nd game!! Also, you each play a taoist who all have different powers so it makes the coop game very cool. The ghosts are all trying to haunt the villages (9 different parts that you can use, each one has a different role, one gives you 2 Buddha statues that you can place on your board to kill ghosts when they appear, one can revive dead players, etc...

Anyway, cool game even if I got frustrated! Here's a pic of the board : http://proflolo.yagg.com/files/2011/09/ ... ories2.jpg

We also tried the 7 Wonders expansion named "Leaders", very good, adds a new fun edge to the game and makes it even cooler.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:45 pm 

the 20th anniversary edition of Vampire: The Masquerade finally brings back the fun in playing that rpg. Vampire: The Requiem is terrible :/ (and yet I still own it)

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:11 pm 

I've wanted to try tabletop rpgs for a long while now.. but I know noone who'd do it with me haha I bet some of my internet buddys would though.
any online ones? I've been wanting to try D&D, The Call of Cthulhu, and/or the one that Bolt Thrower got it's name from :lol:
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:56 pm 

Suffersystem wrote:
the one that Bolt Thrower got it's name from :lol:

That's Warhammer; it's a wargame, not an RPG. ;)

You can check out http://roll20.net/ for a place to play tabletop RPGs online. You can possibly find a group to play with there, or start your own with friends (though you'd need to get some rulebooks if you're all newbies).

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:15 pm 

Suffersystem wrote:
The Call of Cthulhu

Please remember that this is a different beast altogether... the definition of "fun" is like the sense of humour of H.P. Lovecraft himself. It takes a special kind of mentality to enjoy it.

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:16 pm 

Just to add to that, there are actually pen & paper RPG versions of Warhammer as well, if you don't feel like painting and purchasing all those minis and setting up point lists and units:

Warhammer 40K RPG Dark Heresy: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... sp?eidm=50 (Bolt Throwers)
The latest fantasy variant, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... sp?eidm=93

Cool to see a board game/RPG gaming thread here!

Been gathering some games up for a Halloween tabletop party this year. I purchased the Munchkin Zombie/Vampire card sets, and the Castle Ravenloft boardgame, both of which seem pretty quick, the latter since some of the guests will be D&D vets.

You all have experience with Arkham Horror? Is it too involved for casual players? Is Elder Sign much faster?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:17 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
That's Warhammer; it's a wargame, not an RPG.

There is/used to be a Warhammer RPG as well, but you might be too young to know about it. It had an interesting career approach to character development, but IMO, it was more of a restriction than an advantage, and the system was unbelievably clumsy.

Bolt Thrower band members are old enough to know about it, though... ;P

EDIT: oh, another geezer around! Munchkin is absolutely fabulous!

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:18 pm 

Napero wrote:
HellBlazer wrote:
That's Warhammer; it's a wargame, not an RPG.

There is/used to be a Warhammer RPG as well, but you might be too young to know about it. It had an interesting career approach to character development, but IMO, it was more of a restriction than an advantage, and the system was unbelievably clumsy.

They're still out there with new editions, better rules :) But yes, you are correct, the old edition was very clunky. Terribly so!

I'm excited for Munchkin, especially since you can mix sets. I was thinking of getting the Munchkin Cthulhu and then mashing it up with the other horror themes for a lot of laughs. Ever tried that?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:25 pm 

We've tried the "basic" Munchkin sets together, but none of my friends has the Cthulhu or other horror-themed or otherwise special sets, except Munchkin-Fu, which seems a bit incompatible with the rest, mostly in spirit if not rules, and doesn't have Kovalic's illustrations. The kids love the game, BTW, and somehow "Humongous Fungus" has turned into a favourite of theirs.

Gotta try the stuff beyond "Clerical Errors" soon.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:30 pm 

Oh hey, autothrall! Me, HB and Morri and some others here are playing Arkham Horror often, it's quite fun! While it's a long game, I think if the game has 1 or 2 knowledgeful players, it doesn't quite matter if there's newbies around the table. There's a lot of rules and elements, but if someone knows them or know where to check in the rulebook, it's not quite a problem. Recently, Necroticism joined us for a game and I think it was very fine. If you get the game, read a lot before playing and explain to everyone beforehad, it would be alright. Make sure you don't use an expansion at first of course!

The characters are fun, the setting is interesting and I think everyone can be grasped.

HB has Elder Sign, it's a shorter game, I never tried though, he didn't like it.

If you want a really complex game, try Twilight Imperium! :)

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:34 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
If you want a really complex game, try Twilight Imperium!

Is it anything close to the infamous Phoenix Command in complexity? The RPG that needed two laptops with custom software to run smoothly in cons in the late 90s... And those were meant only for determining the result of attacks.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:36 pm 

There's complex and there's that!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 30  Next