Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Blood Music
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:00 pm 

I've a question for SIGH fans here, assuming there are a few.

We're doing "Gallows Gallery" on deluxe vinyl with a brand new remaster from the original mixes, and I'm so damn proud of the way the audio came out. The previous two releases (including the 2007 remaster) are awful in my opinion.

Would people be interested in a CD version YET AGAIN if the album sounds exactly as it should've when it came out ... neutral and warm.

We're on the fence as to whether we should press this only on vinyl or on vinyl + as a 2-CD digipak.

Peep a track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEMcgQgWqaM

Thoughts welcome, considering I don't know any album in history with 3 versions in-print.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:06 pm 

What's wrong with the 2007 remaster? I own it, and I'm perfectly fine with the way it sounds.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Blood Music
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:07 pm 

It's compressed to hell, it's really glitchy with the dynamics IMHO, and it hangs very very high in the high end . . . Just my cents.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:08 pm 

Wow. This sounds like Maiden-like clean. The vocals really pop out in this version.

However, for some reason, I kinda like the slightly dirty version of the 1st remaster (that's the one I have.) It gives a unique vibe/tone. I surprised you chose the less catchier songs on the album as a preview. Then again, why am I complaining. It's not like I can afford vinyls.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:13 pm 

I'd buy the LP but not the cd, as I already have it two times. But I agree with you on the remaster, I don't really like it. I don't know what was so wrong with the original, but it wasn't perfect for sure, a new master for the LP version could be interesting.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:15 pm 

Well, if you really have to, I say release it as a digipack as well, for those of us who don't really collect vinyl.
Was du geschlagen

-Gustav Mahler

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:25 pm 

Why 2CDs? Is there other bonus material on a second disc?

Also since the first version was orange and the second was blue, what color will this one be?

I'm buying the vinyl regardless though, I didn't realize this was in the works.

FloristOfVampyrism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:46 pm 

Yes a deluxe 2CD digipak is exactly what this album needs...
And in purple too!

Proper digipak though, not that weird envelope thing that Scorn Defeat came in

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:45 pm 

After listening to the remaster again, I'm still not hearing the so-called flaws. It sounds just fine to my ears. I think the main problem here is the insistence of a mix sounding a certain way. People with a vinyl fetish tend to do that a lot.
Was du geschlagen

-Gustav Mahler

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:47 pm 

This new remaster has a definite better mix on the vocals. Comparing The Enlightenment Day on my remaster to this remaster, it's obvious.
Hehe, foreskins.

Pedr00
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:18 pm 

Wow!! This new remaster is awesome!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:23 pm 

I wasn't even interested in the first remaster. I was pleased enough with the first one. But I guess that was just me.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:56 pm 

Funky.

Blood Music
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:17 am 

Well, the opinions are varied, and we're definitely 100% going ahead with the vinyl release (hence the remaster), which is next in our schedule after the coming Lykathea Aflame record.

So, it looks also from the response that enough people might be interested, I think we'll do a limited 2-CD digipak special edition on this to go alongside it and take the risk. Thanks a ton for the input!! It was seriously helpful.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:24 am 

Well, this is really interesting. I didn't really like the 2007 re-master either, and I could never exactly put my finger on why. It wasn't really the improvement on the original that I was expecting and in some ways i think I even preferred the obscure, weird, muddy first mix. This new thing sounds ...a lot better! I think it is rather crazy to have three different-sounding version sof a single album, but I'd probably snap this new one on CD at least, eventually, if you put it out...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:55 am 

I vote for a limited CD run! Sounds good.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:22 am 

weren't there a few parts on the original that were edited on the first remaster too? If so, would those bits be re-integrated into the album?

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:35 pm 

Sigh was mentioned, so I am obligated to post.

The 07 version dropped a few of the vocal harmony parts in the mix, as well as a few assorted this-and-thats, but gave us a much clearer guitar. Then again, given how muddy the 05 version sounds, that shouldn't say much. Both versions were very compressed, but I thought they were just recorded at brick-wall levels, so I'll be interested to hear the new remasters.

I am also very curious as to what's going on the second disc of the 2 CD package. If it's any kind of exclusive material, of course I will be ordering a copy.

Also, to Mr. Blood Music himself, is there any way you can convince the band to reissue, say, Hail Horror Hail on CD? Or at least get Scenes From Hell remastered? Someone needs to give this band's work some justice.a

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:54 pm 

Ribos wrote:
Also, to Mr. Blood Music himself, is there any way you can convince the band to reissue, say, Hail Horror Hail on CD? Or at least get Scenes From Hell remastered? Someone needs to give this band's work some justice.a

This. Scenario IV also needs a reissue, desperately.
Was du geschlagen

-Gustav Mahler

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:02 pm 

I'd pick up the CD. Not fond of digipaks, but not enough to hold off buying them. Nice to see I'm not the only one who thought the remaster sounded a bit worse.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:31 pm 

theoctavarius wrote:
Ribos wrote:

This. Scenario IV also needs a reissue, desperately.

The problem with Infidel Art, Ghastly Funeral Theater, Hail Horror Hail, and Scenario IV is Cacophonous Records. They have a stranglehold on the CD distribution rights for those albums and won't let them go.

Really dug that remaster. Would definitely buy a CD release. Not really interested in vinyl.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:45 pm 

^ Would love to see reissues for all of those instead of paying some moron on ebay 40# and even higher for their various EPs. The band's earlier stuff is great.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:44 pm 

sounds great, btw! I'd definitely buy one (if affordable in the U.S. anyway). I hope you keep the extra bits from the original that were edited out of the first remaster.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:28 pm 

i haven't heard the original version but my remastered one with bonus songs and remixes sounds cool, nice artwork too [i prefer the blue/black] will that be changing by the way?

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:35 am 

I was also wondering if this re-remaster will be getting different artwork as well? like someone else mentioned a purple sky would probably look neat for this one

Blood Music
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:25 am 

We have tried to contact Cacophonous about those CDs without results. But, we can always keep on trying. We will definitely be encouraged to do more with Sigh if these would sell well!

As far as the artwork, we're using the blue background right now (the layouts are almost done), but since SO many people have requested a different color, we will look at different tint options and see if we can come up with something new to differentiate it.

As of right now, the layout is a tiny bit different, and it says SPECIAL EDITION to differentiate it.

There will be a whole CD of bonus tracks -- full unreleased demos from the album.

bastardnasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:44 am 

Well, as far as I know (and I've seen on Ebay too), chinese label Mort Productions re-released all of these SIGH albums, live and ep in Double CD set editions.
Each release contains raw demos and pre-production recordings for each album, as well as some live tracks.
http://www.mort-prod.com/release/release.htm

These are the 2-CD disc set re-released by Mort:

Infidel art (bonus: Infidel Art first mix + Far east gate inferno comp. tracks)

The eastern force of evil: live 92-96 (bonus: To hell and back Venom Tribute album)

Ghastly funeral theatre (bonus: The shadowking Ep + 2 cover songs + GFT Rough Mix)

Hail horror hail (bonus: HHH rough mix + Unreleased track + re-recorded 2007 track)

Scenario IV: Dread dreams (unknown bonus tracks....it's sold out on Ebay)

Scenes from hell (bonus: SFH different mastering + Lp demo tracks)

They're not easy to find outside China - I've seen them only once on ebay.com - and they're also quite expensive in China itself, being around 13 euros each and really expensive outside of China: from 25 up to 35 US$ !!!! I think people from Mort are in it only for money because also the original chinese price is completely out of market considering that a good remastered double CD set in China (ADP releases, for example) cost no more than 7 euros....

Maybe I will be able to supply some copies during my next trip to China/Asia

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:58 am 

Blood Music wrote:
There will be a whole CD of bonus tracks -- full unreleased demos from the album.

Neat, neat. Yet another reason to pick this up then. I consider myself a Sigh fan (definitely one of my favourite bands ever), yet I only own 4 of their albums as physical copies. :panda: This will be a good time to step up my game!

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:30 am 

bastardnasum wrote:
Well, as far as I know (and I've seen on Ebay too), chinese label Mort Productions re-released all of these SIGH albums, live and ep in Double CD set editions.
Each release contains raw demos and pre-production recordings for each album, as well as some live tracks.

Never heard of these releases, are these bootlegs? Either way, Sigh definately needs proper rereleases on CD for wide distribution, i already own all original CD's but every people should have a change to listen these magnificent albums!

I'm happy to hear Gallows Gallery finally gets vinyl release and proper CD mix, sounds good! Definately gonna buy both of these.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:34 am 

I'll definitely be in the market for the two-disc digipak, and I rarely double-dip for things on the same format any more. I never really liked the compressed, scratchy sound of the first remaster, but I just accepted it at the time because I figured any weirdness was just "Sigh being Sigh".

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:14 am 

satanic_neumann wrote:
bastardnasum wrote:

Never heard of these releases, are these bootlegs? Either way, Sigh definitely needs proper rereleases on CD for wide distribution, i already own all original CD's but every people should have a change to listen these magnificent albums!

I'm happy to hear Gallows Gallery finally gets vinyl release and proper CD mix, sounds good! definitely gonna buy both of these.

I actually looked into those about a week ago, they're apparently official, as far as Mirai giving them the okay. I don't know if they're completely legal considering the Cacophonous situation and they just sort of started appearing on eBay. I'm a Sigh collector so it kind of pains me to have to pretend they don't exist because I've just gotta draw a line somewhere.

Bastardnasum, if you are able to obtain any copies in person at a better rate, please remember me, haha. I'm fine with paying regular CD price but I'm pretty put off by paying that much to ship all the way from China.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:05 pm 

Well shit, if Mirai's given the okay, who cares what Cacophonous thinks. They're out of business anyhow. It might be high time to get HHH! ...And that beautiful Infidel Art vinyl reissue from The Crypt, I think it was. Maybe. Still a lot of money.

Also, more on topic, I am totally willing to get a 2 CD package of Gallows Gallery, but I would appreciate a recoloring of the art. Just so there's no confusing the editions, yes?

But then I will have to edit my review for the album here to accommodate the newest master! Ahhhh!

Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:06 am 

Blood Music wrote:
As far as the artwork, we're using the blue background right now (the layouts are almost done), but since SO many people have requested a different color, we will look at different tint options and see if we can come up with something new to differentiate it.

If you do it in a purple tint I will love you forever.

Also, my love will be showered upon anyone who can release a remaster of HHH.

Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:12 am 

Here's my thirty second GIMP contribution to show what i'm talkin 'bout.

bastardnasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:16 am 

well, Mort Records is an official label, one of the few official in China and it's well known also outside of China. There's also a famous italian band in their rooster.

I've seen on Ebay they're sold at very high prices and they are delivered from China. I think it's very risky to spend so much money and praying god to receive the parcel with CDs inside because most of times the content can "disappear" during the duty chinese postal controls. As you know every parcel should be opened by chinese policemen and must be checked. And most of times CD and DVD are confiscated by authorities.

In any case I will try to buy a lot of these CD once I will be in China - I think I will start my trip on August 11th, but I have no idea when I will reach Pecking as I'm travelling by bus and train - but I'll definitively sell them at a cheaper price.
Original retail price isn't so cheap though, it's 130 yuan that is 14 euros....if I find them I will try to sell them at no more than 17/18 euros...still expensive but definitively cheaper than 35 euros....I wonder why they're so expensive.

In any case I can confirm they're full official editions...and the packaging looks great too.

Those who can speak chinese can search also on http://www.taobao.com (the chinese Ebay) and you can find more images....

It seems Mort also reprinted "Hangman's hymn" on a double CD version, with demo tracks, unreleased alternate version and live songs:

http://s.click.taobao.com/t_8?e=7HZ6jHx ... 4&n=63&u=0

Blood Music
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:30 am 

The Chinese releases are very expensive, and we are going to look into doing remasters of previous releases, especially Scenario IV, which I personally would love to see in a better edition.

If you want to know the legal status of the Chinese versions, I can explain further through e-mail. They are semi-official, semi-not.

But getting rights from Cacophonous at this point seems almost impossible. We would like to offer versions at half Mort's price to the Western world. If we can get ahold of Cacophonous, I will let everyone know.

Of course, supporting this release would encourage us to search harder on the other titles.

Thanks a ton all for the response, we have def decided to go forward with the CD version. Uploading the audio to the plant today for the vinyl and will get this going shortly.

Since people are so dead set on changing the color, we are going to look into it :) I promise nothing yet, but we keep other fan's interests in mind when making our stuff.

bastardnasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:55 am 

curious to know that Mort releases are not 100% official
Well, knowing the chinese policy to make money it does not surprise me...well I guess copyrights and transparency are not relevant issues in China :D

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:36 am 

Yeah, I'm definitely all in favor of the albums up to Scenario IV getting rereleased. I actually think the music up to and including that album is superior to their material on Imaginary Sonicscape and after. I actually was able to pick up a copy of the Cacophonous label's issue of Hail Horror Hail used at a store for only $5. Definitely one of the more lucky encounters on my searches for music.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:23 pm 

Yet another vote for Cacophonous era re-releases. I still don't have Infidel Art and I'm quite unhappy knowing that.

Rotting_Christ_Mike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:21 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
Yet another vote for Cacophonous era re-releases. I still don't have Infidel Art and I'm quite unhappy knowing that.

Agreed!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next