* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:29 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:
You guys will probably spend the next week or so hating me or thinking I'm some sort of moral reprobate (just like the media and the whole PC crowd probably hated Billy Milano and Scott Ian for "Fuck The Middle East")

Wow, how fucking pretentious and full of yourself are you? Now you're comparing yourself to bands that received media reactions for anti-PC statements? Jesus Christ that's pathetic. Lately you've been licking your own balls harder than usual and I'm beginning to think Noktorn assassinated you and has been writing/posting under your name ever since. Either that, or you've undergone some huge ego boost, which, if that's the case, it's time to cut back on the melodrama and stop acting like a holy martyr. Get off your high horse.

*applause*

DodensGrav wrote:
A good barometer of whether or not you should relay an "in poor taste" joke is to ask yourself how you would respond if a loved one was involved.

That would require intelligence and empathy, I think you're asking too much.

OzzyApu wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Kreator/Phantom_Antichrist/336363/kluseba

Kluseba has awful taste :(

Oh, we know.

*snip*

I thought those were bad... then I had a brief peek. And... wow. X Factor is the best Maiden album, and it and Virtual XI are better than the s/t. In fact, Iron Maiden s/t isn't as good as a bunch of In Flames, In Extremo, Nightwish and Alestorm albums, or even Illud Divinum Insanus. And Jugulator is a masterpiece and Priest's best albums. :ugh: Fucking seriously, dude...?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:02 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
DodensGrav wrote:
A good barometer of whether or not you should relay an "in poor taste" joke is to ask yourself how you would respond if a loved one was involved.

That would require intelligence and empathy, I think you're asking too much.

To paraphrase George Carlin, there's nothing that can't be made fun of, no matter what it is. If "bad taste" was really a valid reason to not make a joke, we wouldn't have gems like this:
Spoiler: show

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:05 pm 

There's a time and a place for making fun of events, but with one so fresh in memory? Only clowns, dipshits, and attention-whores find it entertaining. Who cares about "when" it becomes acceptable; it just does. Right now though, it's not funny. Just the work of clowns, dipshits, and attention-whores feeding their fellow clowns, dipshits, and attention-whores.

I think the main point here is in relation to the overall relevancy of "shock" value in reviews, and I think the last few posts speak for themselves.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:32 pm 

There's timing, and then there's forcing a tasteless joke into a review of music. I skipped over stuff like this on Facebook and there's probably an off-color comment or two in the FFA, but you really must find a better outlet for your nonsense than adding it into reviews. Spilling out your libertarianism into a review of Iced Earth might be convenient, because: 1) Iced Earth fans might actually care about both subjects of that review, 2) there's no "comment" button on reviews and most people can't seem to find the place to comment on reviews, 3) most people probably skip to the next one. This doesn't mean it's a good idea to shoehorn your philosophy and other bullshit into your reviews.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:10 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/P ... hRiderDoom

Holy fucking shit. When I saw something I've literally never heard crowned 'the pinnacle of the USPM' movement, and then went on to see that a reliable source like DRD said so... tears literally came to my eyes. No joking.

I'm getting this right now. I will be listening all day at work tomorrow.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:20 am 

Metal_Detector wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Prodigy/As_Darkness_Reigns/210362/DeathRiderDoom

Holy fucking shit. When I saw something I've literally never heard crowned 'the pinnacle of the USPM' movement, and then went on to see that a reliable source like DRD said so... tears literally came to my eyes. No joking.

I'm getting this right now. I will be listening all day at work tomorrow.

You had not listened to that? Shame on you. Shame. On. You.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:14 am 

I know. I'm worthless and weak. Time to fix that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:57 am 

Never heard that one either, where can I find it anyway?

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:55 pm 

Regarding the whole h_u "shock value" thing: hasn't he always been a proponent of "description first, gimmicky stuff second" in his review writing?
Strange how these things work out.

Also @ the DRD review: god damn it what the hell is the point of signing your name at the end of a review when your username is literally right below it? The only way this is excusable is if he cross-posted that on another website or something where it's necessary to distinguish one poster from another, but it still peeves me.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:23 pm 

That's kind of pedantic, dude, I know DRD is using RYM a lot, maybe that's why.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:46 pm 

Actually, I'm not quite so big on As Darkness Reigns as some of the other guys around here. There are great riffs and cool vocals, but the songwriting itself is a bit lacking. Very clunky, not quite coherent enough. It seems they were trying to be more prog than they should have, and the music suffers for it.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:58 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
That's kind of pedantic, dude, I know DRD is using RYM a lot, maybe that's why.

Figured as much. Also of course it's pedantic; that's what the review discussion thread is all about! :D

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:58 pm 

I have a review on my blog that I want to post on this site but im having trouble with the link. When I preview the review the word appears as a link but I cannot click on it. Will it work after it is posted or is there something wrong?
I'm trying to use the:
<a href="the url of the website">"what you want the word to be"</a>

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:28 pm 

I wasn't sure about putting this here or in the Oven Fodder, but since I placed the last case of this here I'll repeat the dose.

With that being said, what the fuck is going on with these new Samael reviews? Now it's these two who are again a bad case of copy-paste:

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... /nemesis21
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/B ... ll/340842/

Obviously the Samael review is the bogus, but this is the second time this week. First it was Lux Mundi/Nothing and now COO/TSBYF??? What the hell is going on around here?! Is this happening solely with Samael or has anyone else noticed chopped up zombie reviews like these?

Seriously WTF?!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:32 pm 

The Animator wrote:
I have a review on my blog that I want to post on this site but im having trouble with the link. When I preview the review the word appears as a link but I cannot click on it. Will it work after it is posted or is there something wrong?
I'm trying to use the:
<a href="the url of the website">"what you want the word to be"</a>

I use this and it works alright:

<b>Originally written for and posted at <a href="site URL">Riff Magazine</a></b>

It appears like on here.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:52 am 

Thanks androdion, I figured out it was just a typo.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:44 pm 

While I would consider this Grave's best album in recent years, I still really like RapeTheDead's negative one for As Rapture Comes. Lays out his points very well, and I do agree in part.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/G ... apeTheDead
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:07 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
While I would consider this Grave's best album in recent years, I still really like RapeTheDead's negative one for As Rapture Comes. Lays out his points very well, and I do agree in part.

Wow, had no idea he was doing reviews. The writing quality of that review was really, really high. Judging by that review as well as his Gris review I just checked out, he should do it more often.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:13 pm 

Yeah, He's a great reviewer, a pleasure to read and approve his reviews. One of the best Canadian reviewers along with you, dystopia.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:29 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Yeah, He's a great reviewer, a pleasure to read and approve his reviews. One of the best Canadian reviewers along with you, dystopia.

Thanks :). On the subject of Canadian reviewers, are you gonna do some more? That Castle one was sick.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:42 pm 

Thanks, yeah, I should, I never know what to review,but I made a short list. I'll try to write 3 or 4 before the end of the summer. One is the latest Witch Mountain.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:33 am 

androdion wrote:
I wasn't sure about putting this here or in the Oven Fodder, but since I placed the last case of this here I'll repeat the dose.

With that being said, what the fuck is going on with these new Samael reviews? Now it's these two who are again a bad case of copy-paste:

Obviously the Samael review is the bogus, but this is the second time this week. First it was Lux Mundi/Nothing and now COO/TSBYF??? What the hell is going on around here?! Is this happening solely with Samael or has anyone else noticed chopped up zombie reviews like these?

Seriously WTF?!

Hate to quote myself but the Samael review is still there...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:08 pm 

androdion wrote:
androdion wrote:

Seriously WTF?!

Hate to quote myself but the Samael review is still there...

You know, I thought it was odd that there was another Samael review from another nobody so quickly after the last incident, but I didn't do any detective work when I accepted it. Lo and behold, it's the same doofus. I should learn to trust my gut a bit better, I suppose :grumble:

Anyway, he'll soon be trampled under the company brontosaurus, and I'll be skeptically perusing every new Samael review in the queue from now until forever like a paranoid and picky English professor.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:14 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I'll be skeptically perusing every new Samael review in the queue from now until forever like a paranoid and picky English professor.

Hunching forward, squinting with suspicious knowing, jaw shifting unnaturally side to side. The transformation.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:06 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/I ... d_Of_Death

Something tells me that this reviewer expects all black metal to be kvlt, grim, and frostbitten. Add songs longer than 4 minutes and he calls it "technical". :durr:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:13 pm 

Yup, seems like this Warlord fellow has a very limited understanding of black metal and only recognizes it's stereotypes. Also, it almost seems as if he thinks that just because a riff is thrashy it is inherently technical.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:17 pm 

This is the part that is laughable and embarassing:

Quote:
In Black Metal, it is widely known that it is a very minimalistic form of a music or to some not i suppose. But this release is far from minimalistic, and was the start of Immortal's merge of thrash metal with black metal. So therefore, this is not a BM album.

Metantoine or BH, wow, delete this garbage.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:19 pm 

1) minimalistic = black metal, so:
2) not minimalistic = not black metal, therefore
3) not black metal = not good

:lol:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:32 pm 

To be fair to the guy, it was his first review (he only managed three). Still, people shouldn't elaborate on how things fit in a genre if they don't understand said genre. Some of my first reviews were probably just as bad, actually now that I think about it, I should probably delete (and maybe rewrite later) my review of Skyclad's 2009 album (my second review), lest someone reads that garbage.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:03 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
This is the part that is laughable and embarassing:

Quote:
In Black Metal, it is widely known that it is a very minimalistic form of a music or to some not i suppose. But this release is far from minimalistic, and was the start of Immortal's merge of thrash metal with black metal. So therefore, this is not a BM album.

Metantoine or BH, wow, delete this garbage.

Wait, what? Wait, WHAT?

I know next to nothing about black metal, and even I can tell that guy's full of shit.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:09 pm 

Killed on grounds of factual inaccuracy (AtHoW is about as thrashy as... well something not very thrashy) and the fact that it's a track-by-tracker that gives up after three tracks. Holy shit those are my least favorite things in the world. Really, more than childhood cancer.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:38 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:

I really like this review, thanks for pointing it out. It thoroughly reminds me of everything I picked up in one listen to that album.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:39 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... imsonFloyd

Quote:
First of all, the bass is a rhythm instrument and unless we’re talking about Neal Pert, Les Claypool etc., the bass should stick to that roll.

Interesting.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:48 pm 

Quote:
First of all, the bass is a rhythm instrument and unless we’re talking about Neal Pert, Les Claypool etc., the bass should stick to that roll.

:|

Obligatory Last FM Link

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:56 pm 

Neal Pert.

You know, that's honestly the first time I've heard someone complain about a bass not following the guitars. :lol:

EDIT: Hold on a second...Neil Peart...bass? :brick:

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:57 pm 

Man, even one of the most popular Family Guy jokes involves the Cheetos cheetah saying, "There's no fucking drummer better than Neil Peart!"

How could anyone even have an excuse for missing that?

CrimsonFloyd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:57 am 

Woops, should of fact checked there. I enjoy some Rush albums, but they've never been a group I've gone crazy over. Obviously I thought I knew the members better than I did. Anyway, I went back and fixed it.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:55 pm 

You have to see it, to believe it.
Well, he tries hard to contradict his user name.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:43 pm 

CrimsonFloyd wrote:
Woops, should of fact checked there.

Certified are you to english? Kwyjibo!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:40 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Man, even one of the most popular Family Guy jokes involves the Cheetos cheetah saying, "There's no fucking drummer better than Neil Peart!"

How could anyone even have an excuse for missing that?

I mean .. I did because I don't watch that show and never listened to Rush. It's a decent excuse, I think.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 520  Next