Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dhussey111
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:28 am 

nice videos Xeogred i loved your anime collection..

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:48 am 

I'm liking Now and Then, Here and There, but WTF? Only like 10 episodes. That sucks. I'm halfway through this and I just want this to be like 40 episode long at least.

Onikage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:28 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
Naruto = (dub). EEEEUUUGGHH it's horrid. If they got rid of the main character, it'd at least be tolerable garbage.

The Japanese version ain't no better.

If they'd have kept it short, at least it'd have the dignity of just being a mediocre action series.

I for one am a huge fan of the show.. The story and the action scenes are great, though it only really picks up at the chuunin exam arc. The fillers I just skip over, I only care about the stuff that was originally in the manga. Naruto Shippuuden is overall a better series though.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:40 am 

Kahalachan wrote:
I'm liking Now and Then, Here and There, but WTF? Only like 10 episodes.

13 episodes.

13-26 is the average length of about 90% of anime.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:46 am 

Kahalachan wrote:
I'm liking Now and Then, Here and There, but WTF? Only like 10 episodes. That sucks. I'm halfway through this and I just want this to be like 40 episode long at least.

I heard people say this is the most depressing and tragic and etc anime ever. Does it lives to this kind of hype?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:13 am 

Onikage wrote:
I for one am a huge fan of the show.. The story and the action scenes are great, though it only really picks up at the chuunin exam arc. The fillers I just skip over, I only care about the stuff that was originally in the manga. Naruto Shippuuden is overall a better series though.

I'm on EP 105 now, and the only thing that's better about this show is the lack of "Believe it!" lines that blond dumbass spouted during the earlier episodes. I should add that the only reason I'm watching this show in the first place (and Shippuuden later on) is solely because I love the hentai.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:16 am 

Damn dude, there's a lot of hentai of shows out there I wouldn't even touch, regardless of digging the hentai or not. lol, dunno why you'd do that.

I hear Shippuuden is a big improvement over the original... but eh, as long as Sasuke exists, it's really hard for me to give a crap about the series. Seriously one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen. And well, it just doesn't really have many characters I liked at all in general. I'm watching One Piece, Fairy Tail, Toriko, the new Hunter x Hunter, etc anyways so ... screw Naruto. lol

Oh and Saint Seiya Omega, which is okay but yeah. Could be so much more. I enjoyed the original a lot since it had a lot of charm, and my personal favorite anime OST I've ever freaking heard. But the show is hilarious, it's literally like 99% nonstop fighting.

Also on the third boxset of Hokuto no Ken too. This one I think could definitely be trimmed down episode wise, but I have a hard time faulting it because there is just literally nothing like this show. Definitely fun stuff. Whenever Raoh pops up damn it gets so good, so I can't wait for that stuff to finally conclude.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:23 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Damn dude, there's a lot of hentai of shows out there I wouldn't even touch, regardless of digging the hentai or not. lol, dunno why you'd do that.

I hear Shippuuden is a big improvement over the original... but eh, as long as Sasuke exists, it's really hard for me to give a crap about the series. Seriously one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen. And well, it just doesn't really have many characters I liked at all in general. I'm watching One Piece, Fairy Tail, Toriko, the new Hunter x Hunter, etc anyways so ... screw Naruto. lol

Yeah I like the show as much as I expected = not very much at all. Having seen these ladies in various sex scenes, that's why I still continue. If only any of these characters were actually the type of characters they're portrayed as in the hentai, it wouldn't be tainted.

As for Sassuke, I actually prefer him greatly over the main character. His emo attitude is a bore, but that's leagues more watchable to me than the idiot Naruto himself. Guy has no concept of thinking. He's a god damn burden to the whole team and is only worth anything because of a plot cop-out.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:45 pm 

Marag wrote:
Kahalachan wrote:

I heard people say this is the most depressing and tragic and etc anime ever. Does it lives to this kind of hype?

Maybe not the most tragic or most depressing show, but the best tragic and/or depressing show.

You can find my review in the link below~

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:06 pm 

Haha oh man, Piccolo Daimao really doesn't take any shit, what a badass.

Spoiler: show
I'm assuming that Shen Long reappears later, what with that bodycount they've been left with.

last.fm

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:10 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:
Haha oh man, Piccolo Daimao really doesn't take any shit, what a badass.

Spoiler: show
I'm assuming that Shen Long reappears later, what with that bodycount they've been left with.

Considering Dragonball Z is a thing, it's a safe assumption.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:19 pm 

Marag wrote:

I seriously don't see any anime topping Grave of the Fireflies in that department. But it is good though.

Zelkiiro wrote:
13 episodes.

Wow I had no idea. I mostly watched movies and not entire series. I thought they were all like Naruto or something being one long series.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:34 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
13 episodes.

Wow I had no idea. I mostly watched movies and not entire series. I thought they were all like Naruto or something being one long series.

Nah, long shows like Naruto and One Piece are exceedingly rare, with only about 1-3 popping up every decade.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:48 am 

@TheOldOne: Oh man, haha I never saw that one coming. By far the most shocking moment in the entire series for me, blew my face off. "That... just happened?!"

Zelkiiro wrote:
Nah, long shows like Naruto and One Piece are exceedingly rare, with only about 1-3 popping up every decade.

Wtf? Fairy Tail, Bleach, Gintama, Toriko, Hunter x Hunter remake... Tons of shounens and other long shows out there this and every decade. Monster, Ippo, Gundam's, Detective Conan, Angel Heart, Golgo 13, etcccccccc. That's an underestimation if I've ever heard one.

In reverse, ~25 episodes was rare for 70-80's anime, most ran for 50 episodes or more back then. The market was obviously different though.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:06 am 

Xeogred wrote:
@TheOldOne: Oh man, haha I never saw that one coming. By far the most shocking moment in the entire series for me, blew my face off. "That... just happened?!"

Zelkiiro wrote:

Wtf? Fairy Tail, Bleach, Gintama, Toriko, Hunter x Hunter remake... Tons of shounens and other long shows out there this and every decade. Monster, Ippo, Gundam's, Detective Conan, Angel Heart, Golgo 13, etcccccccc. That's an underestimation if I've ever heard one.

In reverse, ~25 episodes was rare for 70-80's anime, most ran for 50 episodes or more back then. The market was obviously different though.

But 50 episodes is different from 300+, as the long shounen anime tend to be.

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:53 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

Xeogred wrote:

Zelkiiro wrote:
But 50 episodes is different from 300+, as the long shounen anime tend to be.

I would argue that for every Naruto/Bleach/One Piece, there are about 10 or 15 series that go only 13-26 episodes, especially lately. Producers have decided that they make a lot more money if they churn out some 12 episode harem/otaku-bait show and pump out a ton of merchandise. In general, there's about 15 to 25 new series about every 3 months. Japan just makes that much animation. The super long series (100+) usually are more mainstream manga adaptations or children's shows, which is why they feel they can afford to pull it off.

It's definitely true that episode numbers were higher for older shows, though. At least, as far as I know.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:10 pm 

@Zelkiiro: When you put it that way it makes more sense.

So yeah, totally not disagreeing with you guys or anything. Shounens and perhaps sports are the only things that are practically guaranteed to be long.

A lot of modern shows get sequels, but it's easy to tell that the ~13 episode trend is the majority of producers playing it very safe. "Well if it DOES do well we can make more..." pretty much sums it up.

Maybe it's because I'm more of an old school fan, but it's amusing how it usually takes me a very long time to finish short newer shows, when I can sometimes blast through old ones from the 80-90's that are over 50 episodes or something. I don't know how that works but it happens a lot with me. lol

I just finished up Eden of the East for a newer one and it was... okay. I was kind of letdown going in knowing this is the GITS SAC and Seirei Moribito director, I really don't think this one compares at all. I'd say Steins Gate blows it away as well, but this NEET / Japanese nerd culture stuff in shows is kind of annoying to me usually.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:59 pm 

Thing is, though: 13-episode anime aren't the "play it safe" zone, necessarily. In fact, many 13-episode series are fucking phenomenal (Now and Then Here and There, AnoHana, Usagi Drop, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Haibane Renmei, etc.).

Mediocre play-it-safe series occupy the realm of 26-episode time slots (e.g. Love Hina, Kiddy Grade, Tokyo Underground).

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:09 am 

Now and Then, Here and There is a pretty depressing anime. It's harsh at times. But really good. I liked it.

Earlier I said it seemed too short, but it's a total of what? 5 hours? It's like a super long movie or something. And that's quite a bit of time to develop a concern for characters and really connect to the story.

On the other end you have Monster, where you get involved in a long story arc but so much of it is also forgotten.

It's nice to be exposed to various different animes and not have to invest 6 months of my time on any single one.

But this was exactly the anime I was in the mood to watch and am still in the mood to watch. Something (could be tragic but not necessary) changes a person forever. And you really get to reflect on what they were and what they are now.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:52 am 

"Shu, do you think we could watch another sunset someday?"

GENTLEMEN, OPEN THE FLOODGATES.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:45 pm 

The longest animes I've ever watched were Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, because they managed to retain the quality for 50-60 episodes. Anything longer than that would just devolve into filler and story arcs nobody cares about.

Onikage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:14 pm 

RageW wrote:
The longest animes I've ever watched were Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, because they managed to retain the quality for 50-60 episodes. Anything longer than that would just devolve into filler and story arcs nobody cares about.

One piece is over 500 episodes now and it has kept a high quality up with the storytelling, in fact the story just gets more interesting as it goes on. Saying that longer shows are automatically bad is stupid.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:46 pm 

Onikage wrote:
One piece is over 500 episodes now and it has kept a high quality up with the storytelling, in fact the story just gets more interesting as it goes on. Saying that longer shows are automatically bad is stupid.

Hmm, your second sentence is fine, but that first one feels... incorrect.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:52 pm 

Some thoughts on stuff I watched lately. I still have some more to finish, will talk about them later:

Texhnolyze: Some of the most depressing stuff I've watched, this anime is fucking bleak. Despite that, it's a great series and there are very few moments where it's feels like a drag. The ending is like a shotgun blast to the stomach.
---------

Samurai Champloo: This one was fun as hell. The plot is intentionally very loose throughout the story, it manages to be interesting with just showing the shit the protagonists get themselves involved. It's a dynamic series that is great to watch, interesting characters, comedy and action, though the animations sometimes is a bit bad. The last arc gets particular mention because of how intense it was, and where the plot gets it's shit together, though I feel the ending left something to be desired.
---------

Denpa Teki na Kanojo: Never before I saw so many unstable, psychotic bitches in the span of two episodes. The first ep was pretty cool, the second one was a bit retarded. It's still a good watch, with some nice mystery and "psychological horror" to it.
---------

Katanagatari: Despite the very different setting, this one feels a lot like Nisio Isin other stuff like Bakemonogatari. The long-winded dialogues, simplistic but colorful characters and the different artsyle might be put-off to some people. Most episodes follow the "talk talk talk talk fight end" formula, and I always thought some of Nisio's writing had...retarded qualities to it, and it shows on Katanagatari too. That's not to say that this is a bad series, I enjoyed all the 12 episodes. The dialogues are more often than not entertaining, the fights are good, it's beautifully animated, and while most of the characters are not very deep, instead being more quirky and a bit cartoonish, Shichika undergoes a great deal of characterization, and it's central to the story.
Though it ends in a more or less optimistic note, I can't help but think it was sad as hell. I'm still not sure how I feel about this ending.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:59 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Onikage wrote:

Hmm, your second sentence is fine, but that first one feels... incorrect.

Have you seen Marineford? MOTHERFUCKING MARINEFORD?!?!

One Piece is boss. Has its ups and downs but it's definitely epic stuff.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:57 am 

I'm not watching 500 episodes of anything because, well, you know, fuck that.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:51 am 

Your loss.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:28 am 

RageW wrote:

Good idea, large portions of those shows are filler, you can get all the good parts in manga format if you really want to, not to mention you'll waste far less time on it too.

Onikage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:58 am 

Byrain wrote:
RageW wrote:

Good idea, large portions of those shows are filler, you can get all the good parts in manga format if you really want to, not to mention you'll waste far less time on it too.

Just watch the show and skip the fillers like I did. One Piece isn't as good in manga form, mainly due to the lack of the amazing soundtrack.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:15 pm 

Onikage wrote:
Just watch the show and skip the fillers like I did. One Piece isn't as good in manga form, mainly due to the lack of the amazing soundtrack.

Not all the filler in these shows is shippable, if its anything like dragon ball the fight scenes will be extended among other little things, the fights in the manga are already prolonged enough. Also it would take me around 160 hours to get through 500 episodes, I can get through 500 chapters in a fraction of the time and end up further in the story then if I watched the show. And I can always listen to my own music, so I'm not really going to miss the soundtrack.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:12 pm 

I'd rather watch 50 series with 10 episodes than a single one with 500

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:49 pm 

I casually caught up over the course of a year or two. Are you guys dying? Is it a race? Is the commitment too much?

Just joking, a little. One Piece is the shit. I tend to let the arcs build up and then burn through them in a few days. There's been times (like in the middle) where the episode recaps were so damn long, topped off with the huge openings, and the episodes were literally like 10 minutes (definitely during CP9). Pretty funny.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:53 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Is the commitment too much?

In my case, exactly, I don't have the patience to watch such a long slow moving series. I can get what I want with far less time and energy invested.

Quote:
Just joking, a little. One Piece is the shit. I tend to let the arcs build up and then burn through them in a few days. There's been times (like in the middle) where the episode recaps were so damn long, topped off with the huge openings, and the episodes were literally like 10 minutes (definitely during CP9). Pretty funny.

Yea, One Piece is pretty good, the flashback card is overplayed a bit.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:55 pm 

Finished watching Shigurui. Cool. Reminded me of Texhnolyze in some ways. It's a darker take on the feudal era of japan and the bushido, which is interesting to see since those are more often than not romanticized in anime. Everyone is a fucking asshole and people die horribly all the time.
I thought the ending sucked a bit since it left too many things unresolved, the anime presents some things but in the end never explains how they got there(some which I was expecting since the first episode).

I had fun with it anyway, it's a pretty unorthodox and bold show, with an engrossing story.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the soundtrack was pretty cool. Really adds to the atmosphere. I'm a sucker for buddhist guttural chanting, and this anime makes good use of it.

Last edited by Marag on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:00 am 

Marag wrote:
It's a darker take on the feudal era of japan and the bushido, which is interesting to see since those are more often than not romanticized in anime. Everyone is a fucking asshole and people die horribly all the time.

It's Japan's equivalent to 1950s America. Everything was so nice and wholesome and pretty and scenic...oh, and there's McCarthyism and nuclear scares and racial oppression, too.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:19 am 

The funny part? Everyone tells me the Shigurui manga is way more gory than the short series (OVA?) which was already intense enough.

Worth mentioning, the manga is way longer. So yet another case of an anime only covering like... the prelude basically.

Marag wrote:
Reminded me of Texhnolyze in some ways.

Same director. I love this guys stuff, I hope he sticks around. Steins Gate is a bit polarizing though... the first half is just straight up comedy / slice of life and kind of littered with fan pandering / moe shit, but then it got pretty awesome in the second half. It was addicting as hell, I finished the whole thing like two days haha. Not bad, but yeah I want this director to stick to the weirder/darker stuff again next time.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:23 am 

It's 12 ep long, not an OVA though. And yeah I've read about the anime covering only a part of the story, so I'll probably check out the manga too.
And to be more gory than the anime...Damn, that takes some effort.

Steins;Gate is pretty famous, I've never bothered with it though, both the Visual Novel and the anime. It seemed pretty silly, and most of the fans are a bunch of meme-spouting tards(bad way to judge a series, I know)

Last edited by Marag on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:27 am 

Haha, yeah I mean manga can usually be way more violent (Berserk is a good example I guess), but hot damn that Shigurui anime was pretty fucking brutal. Can't imagine how much nastier it gets than that. I hated the teeth scene, yeouch!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:34 am 

Xeogred wrote:
I hated the teeth scene, yeouch!

I remember the episode with the brothers, the scene where they rape two dudes came right when I was eating :ugh:

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:06 am 

Can anyone suggest some "must-see" anime movies and (short) series? I've been in the mood to watch some lately, but have no idea what to rent, and I haven't watched anime for years and years.

As for films, I've seen: Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, Grave of the Fireflies, Cowboy Bepop: The Movie, Perfect Blue, Vampire Hunter D, My Neighbor Totoro, and two I can't remember the names of (one had a scene of spacecraft outside the planet's atmosphere and the scene had no sound at all, representing the vacuum of space, which I thought was a really cool touch; the other was about some schoolgirl and was very much set in a Japan-like place).

As for series, I've only seen Trigun (which was amazing) and Dragonball Z (which I thoroughly enjoyed as a young 'un but will probably never watch again, due to it's length).

Any suggestions? For series, I really liked how Trigun was only one season; I don't like commitments when it comes to entertainment.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 61  Next