* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:27 am 

satanic_neumann wrote:
From Noevdia's website:

To be released on June 22nd – pre-orders accepted now.

To be released around the 9th of July (minor delays are possible) :

DEATHSPELL OMEGA vinyl box

[...]

It comes with 7 art prints, a poster & a 60-page psalter"

Anyone have info about the psalter? Is literally a book of biblical psalms or is it all DSO lyrics? I figure it's be lyrics, but you never know with DSO.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:18 am 

Just had a listen of this for the first time just then. Very impressive. Kind of like the next progression from Paracletus. Needs more listens, for sure, but listen 1 was good. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:46 am 

With any luck, their next album will have them expanding on the sound in the first and last tracks.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Aftermath1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:12 pm 

Anyone know what "Sallowe" means? Can't find a definition.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:30 pm 

Well, Sallow is associated with a yellow complexion, infection, illness, etc. I have to think their spelling is intentional and does mean something different than the definition of sallow, but it's hard for me not to associate it with sallow because it would seem to fit the theme of the album...drought, famine, etc.

Aftermath1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:30 pm 

MazeofTorment wrote:
Well, Sallow is associated with a yellow complexion, infection, illness, etc. I have to think their spelling is intentional and does mean something different than the definition of sallow, but it's hard for me not to associate it with sallow because it would seem to fit the theme of the album...drought, famine, etc.

This is what I assumed as well for the exact same reasons. Wasn't sure if it was perhaps some esoteric reference or not.

Trickykid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:45 am 

I'm seriously contemplating breaking a golden rule of mine; not to buy anything on vinyl that I already have on cd. The subject of the matter is of course the new 7 picture disc box set. Thing is, I'm more than a bit iffy in regards to buying picture vinyls, so I was wondering if anyone in here has the first Deathspell Omega pic vinyl box set, which I believe was also published by Norma Evangelium Diaboli, who can tell me anything about the sound quality on these records? If I'd buy the new box it would be for listening purposes and not just for the collectors novelty item-factor, so I'd really hate having to deal with excessive pops and cracks.

Thanks.

Illuminati322
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:47 pm 

It's good to see they're finally back after the epic mindfuck that was Paracletus. Let us only hope they maintain such high standards, which for many are usually hard to replicate. That's the problem, I think, with crafting a masterpiece....the expectations for your future material are damn near inscrutable, something that average bands at least never have to deal with.

AmberSilkAmbiguity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:05 am 

Trickykid wrote:
I'm seriously contemplating breaking a golden rule of mine; not to buy anything on vinyl that I already have on cd. The subject of the matter is of course the new 7 picture disc box set. Thing is, I'm more than a bit iffy in regards to buying picture vinyls, so I was wondering if anyone in here has the first Deathspell Omega pic vinyl box set, which I believe was also published by Norma Evangelium Diaboli, who can tell me anything about the sound quality on these records? If I'd buy the new box it would be for listening purposes and not just for the collectors novelty item-factor, so I'd really hate having to deal with excessive pops and cracks.

Thanks.

The release date is July 16th. I have ordered mine already from Season of Mist. I highly doubt Deathspell will release anything less than stellar in terms of sound quality as it is a big investment for the buyer and also the reputation of the band. It's well worth the buy in all aspects possible and the price is rather decent, too. THE leading band in BM today.

-Benedict de Spinoza

Last edited by AmberSilkAmbiguity on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:33 am 

Awesome, just awesome. To be honest its Paracletus that introduced me to the band. And now that I own all of their masterpieces, Deathspell Omega quickly became the most satisfying listening experience of BM spectrum.

Wolfgong
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:55 pm 

I'm waiting for that 7 pic-LP boxset myself. I hope that thing comes soon.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:35 am 

I've been listening to Drought a lot at work, and while it took me a couple of listens to get into I'm glad I took the time to listen it through. I like how it's sorta progressive and weird but still definitely black metal without too much bullshit. Deathspell Omega as I like 'em.

Trickykid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:30 am 

AmberSilkAmbiguity wrote:
Trickykid wrote:

Thanks.

The release date is July 16th. I have ordered mine already from Season of Mist. I highly doubt Deathspell will release anything less than stellar in terms of sound quality as it is a big investment for the buyer and also the reputation of the band. It's well worth the buy in all aspects possible and the price is rather decent, too. THE leading band in BM today.

Yeah, that sounds plausible. I've heard some really horribly sounding picture vinyls from very talented musicians though, and I was starting to wonder if they're mostly looked upon as novelty items in general.
Anyhow, I went about and ordered the damned thing a few days ago after all, so now I'm just hoping it won't disappoint.

Illuminati322
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:30 pm 

I actually consider Deathspell Omega, alongside Portal, to be the only genuinely new artistic creation in contemporary metal, and in contemporary rock altogether. After everything else has been exhausted, revived, bastardized, and retro-ed, all that's left is to dig deeply into what most consider the realm of the obscure for something that could plausibly be considered new.

Trickykid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:35 am 

I just recieved my picture vinyl boxset yesterday. The vinyls are pretty decent sounding - actually I can't hear any difference from most of my 180g vinyls (then again, my stereo isn't that great, so I guess most audiophiles could make out a difference). The psalter, if anyone was wondering, is just the collected lyrics in a little book, which is pretty neat.

...oh yeah, did I mention that the box, art and vinyls (I guess I don't have to mention the music too) are all pretty damn sexy? I guess I didn't, but they are!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:05 am 

Lived up and surpassed my expectations for this release. I was thrilled to death when my preorder showed up in the mail. Makes me salivate for even more material.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:12 am 

I have to say, Paracletus and now Drought have revived my interest in the band. After Fas..., I sort of began dismissing them as stuck in a rut even though I continued buying their releases. I like the direction they've been going in so much that I went back and gave Fas... another shot, and was totally blown away. I listened to the album a bunch when it came out but never really focused on it. Totally amazing and inventive.

My only complaint about Drought is how brief and truncated it feels. Seems like it's over right when it gets going. In a way, I suppose that's a good thing, because now I can't wait for the next one.

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:26 pm 

I know that you were speaking in past tense, but it seems fairly absurd to me that anyone could listen to Fas and equate that to being "stuck in a rut." There has always been a clear progression, not that becoming stagnant on styles shown from Kenose to Fas would be a bad thing.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:15 am 

At the time, it sounded like a retread of everything they'd already done...you know, all the elements of a "contemporary" DsO album just rearranged in a slighly different order. Here's the slow, moody intro bit; here's the crazy fast part; here's the "jazzy" interlude; here's another crazy fast part; here's the moody, jazzy exit; here's the atmosphere; etc. It sounded like Kenose combined with "Diabolus Absconditus"...that's how I viewed it when I first bought it. I honestly didn't give it enough listens or attention to notice the genuine progression which had occurred.

japc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:01 am 

Progression is overrated.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:10 pm 

japc wrote:
Progression is overrated.

That's a completely different discussion, but I agree and disagree at the same time. Some bands I follow because I expect them to give me what I've been listening to them for. Diabolic is a prime example in my case. Bands that raise the bar a bit higher in terms of artistry--DsO, Blut aus Nord, Arcturus, et cetera--set my expectations a little higher. I don't buy their new releases solely for the same ol', same ol', I buy them for that and to find out what new tricks they have up their sleeves.

japc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:17 pm 

Cruciphage wrote:
Bands that raise the bar a bit higher in terms of artistry--DsO, Blut aus Nord, Arcturus, et cetera--set my expectations a little higher. I don't buy their new releases solely for the same ol', same ol', I buy them for that and to find out what new tricks they have up their sleeves.

Yes, I understand and agree. But the thing is, I'm still digesting many of their old tricks :)

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:28 pm 

I don't understand why Fas gets so much shit from everyone, it's a great album. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that enjoyed the quiet parts, to me they actually add to the song. It's one of my favorite albums of all time.

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:52 pm 

Fas is one of my favorite albums of all time. The ambient parts are what makes the album so special, though the other elements of the album are great as well.

As for Drought, I'm not sure what to make of the math and hardcore elements; they seem to detract from the atmosphere for me. Still, as with all DsO releases, I need to give it more listens.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:48 am 

I have this strange feeling that DsO took some Portal influence on this one. Not bad by any means, but not really spectacular either. I liked more SMRS and Fas.

Illuminati322 wrote:
I actually consider Deathspell Omega, alongside Portal, to be the only genuinely new artistic creation in contemporary metal, and in contemporary rock altogether. After everything else has been exhausted, revived, bastardized, and retro-ed, all that's left is to dig deeply into what most consider the realm of the obscure for something that could plausibly be considered new.

Maybe you need to explore more bands, there are plenty of worthy acts doing unique stuff.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:18 am 

DeathspellDelta wrote:
As for Drought, I'm not sure what to make of the math and hardcore elements; they seem to detract from the atmosphere for me.

Ridiculous. Theres no hardcore elements on this album, and DSO have used long, complex riffs for about a decade now.

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:55 am 

Acidgobblin wrote:
DeathspellDelta wrote:
As for Drought, I'm not sure what to make of the math and hardcore elements; they seem to detract from the atmosphere for me.

Ridiculous. Theres no hardcore elements on this album, and DSO have used long, complex riffs for about a decade now.

Maybe they didn't intend to make these hardcore sounding sections, as in many parts of 'Fiery Serpents', but to me they certainly sound a bit like hardcore.
And by 'math' I meant Dillinger Escape Plan-esque chugs or whatever you want to call them. Compare Drought to anything they've done before Paracletus; there are much more mathcore-ish sections now than before.

I don't know your view of hardcore and 'mathcore', but I certainly didn't mean this in an entirely negative way. As I said, I still need to give this album more listens.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:13 am 

I really love Drought. It makes me think of a prog band playing Paracletus, though the first and last tracks are the best I'd say. Regardless, does anyone think the production is a little off?

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:43 am 

FaultyClockwork wrote:
I really love Drought. It makes me think of a prog band playing Paracletus, though the first and last tracks are the best I'd say. Regardless, does anyone think the production is a little off?

Guitar tone's a big 'rough', but that's the only thing that bothers me.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

StellarGraves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:39 am 

This EP is amazing..

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:56 pm 

FaultyClockwork wrote:
Regardless, does anyone think the production is a little off?

Yeah, I kinda feel like the drums are too loud in the mix (though I love the way they sound). There are times when they seem to overwhelm the guitars and you really have to strain to hear what they're doing.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:07 am 

thomash wrote:
KFD wrote:
Because it's a major-like, marketing-oriented label,

:lol:

Read: Norma Evangelium Diaboli is an effectively run label since a label's job description is to market bands' recorded work.

I thought Noevdia had enough fame to directly attract customers to their website without the need of an intermediate distributor (i.e. Season of Mist).

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3