Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:39 am 

http://www.facebook.com/#!/VektorOffici ... 6167614127

No support announced, so I guess they'll be getting local support for all dates. Anyway, can't wait to see these guys. Excellent band.

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:41 am 

Which band is touring in Hamilton but not Toronto and Montréal? Lame!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MetalHeadNorm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:27 pm 

August 17th + 18th = Back to Back Vektor.

AWWWWW YEAHHHHHHH!!

What do you mean by that? How quickly I reply?

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:23 am 

I won't be going to this for one simple reason: that's the same day as Dead Can Dance. And I already have DCD tickets. Because Dead Can Motherfuckin' Dance. Sorry Vektor, maybe fourth time's the charm...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:25 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Which band is touring in Hamilton but not Toronto and Montréal? Lame!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:00 pm 

A bit of insight on why they would only play Hamilton, out of all of Canada:

Artists performing in Canada usually need to get work permits. One of the triggers for requiring a work permit is performing in a bar or restaurant (I believe this pretty much means "anywhere that sells alcohol"). The theater they are playing does not normally serve alcohol, so that doesn't require a work permit. I'm pretty sure most venues capable of promoting an internationally noted metal band in Toronto and Montreal are bars or clubs that serve alcohol, which would require a work permit.

Artists traveling through Canada also need to write up a manifest of everything they bring into the country, what they plan on bringing back, and stuff they plan on selling like merch. They need to pay duties on the merch. Bringing merch over may also require a work permit, I'm not sure on that one.

Hamilton is a convenient location because they play Buffalo right before it, it's very close to the border, and they pass through Buffalo on their to the next show in Cleveland. This means they can leave merch and carry a minimal amount of stuff across the border. The short drive means they can afford to play without needing to rely on merch to cover the cost of gas, and Hamilton still allows fans in Toronto a chance to see them. The return trip through Buffalo to Cleveland is essential, because they are likely leaving merch and stuff with a friend there. While Montreal is only ~100 miles from Burlington, their next show is in Buffalo, and Burlington is on the other side of a big lake that makes it much harder to pass back through there on the return route to grab merch and stuff without adding an extra day to the tour.

So uh, Vektor! A band that I want to see enough that I'll deal with the pain and suffering of going to Brooklyn when they're the only band on the tour!
edit: They play Saint Vitus Bar the night after Demontage :annoyed: Brooklyn is taunting me from just out of my reach for making it practical to go to shows there regularly.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:09 am 

When I started reading the tour dates I was scared that they had skipped over the DC area, but then i noticed they play in DC on the last day of the tour. Awesome!

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Reply to topic