Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RatsRatsRats
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:00 am 

^ One of my all-time favorites. Don't think we have anything like that, though. The entire thing is very unique and one of a kind. We've got some Sleep-ish stuff like Om, Ufomammut, Slow Horse, YOB, but nothing that really compares to "Dopesmoker".

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:39 am 

Currently playing Kylesa's Static Tension. Amazing stuff, can't believe I've been dismissing the band for quite sometime. What the hell did I think?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:26 pm 

Eh, I've never been a huge fan of Dopesmoker. Maybe if it had riffs that didn't rely completely on tone worship (I like tone worship, but it's not done incredibly well here).

Also, kind of late to the discussion but Horn of the Rhino kick ass. The vocalist is a sexy grungy beast.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:09 pm 

I'm kind of surprised this song never came up during any of the discussions I've witnessed regarding psychedelic metal or metal related to drugs. I present, Saint Vitus - Just Another Notch off the album Die Healing, which I've never listened but just might now that I've heard this song. Grungy riffs and upbeat (for Saint Vitus) drumming provide the solid backbone for this song, on top of which rests the very emotional vocals (if it is indeed Wino singing, I'm not sure). I don't see how any Vitus fan could be disappointed by this song, and I also think it might even appeal to people who didn't care for the first three albums.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:46 pm 

ScratchMyBack wrote:
Currently playing Kylesa's Static Tension. Amazing stuff, can't believe I've been dismissing the band for quite sometime. What the hell did I think?

If you happen to venture further into their discog, namely Spiral shadow a quick warning: They mightily stripped down on the sludgeiness in favor of catchiness and more traditional song's. Now, IMO that's not a bad thing at all, as I love the afformentioned album, but...just letting you know.

Great band, and goddamm do they put on a hell of a live show. (It does help that Laura is incredibly sexy in the way she handles her guitar on stage :drool: )

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:47 am 

sortalikeadream wrote:
I'm kind of surprised this song never came up during any of the discussions I've witnessed regarding psychedelic metal or metal related to drugs. I present, Saint Vitus - Just Another Notch off the album Die Healing, which I've never listened but just might now that I've heard this song. Grungy riffs and upbeat (for Saint Vitus) drumming provide the solid backbone for this song, on top of which rests the very emotional vocals (if it is indeed Wino singing, I'm not sure). I don't see how any Vitus fan could be disappointed by this song, and I also think it might even appeal to people who didn't care for the first three albums.

It's actually the guitarist Dave Chandler singing, Scott Reagers sings on the other tracks. Another emotional performance from Chandler was on "When Emotion Dies" off V, although that songs seems to divide the fans. Maybe it's the female backing vocals?
And definitely check out Die Healing as it is a great album. My favorite cut is "In the Asylum". Such a great tale about insanity. The surreal music and deranged vocal performance by Reagers matches it perfectly.

Orthodox Caveman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:33 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Eh, I've never been a huge fan of Dopesmoker. Maybe if it had riffs that didn't rely completely on tone worship (I like tone worship, but it's not done incredibly well here)..

Not done incredibly well? Clown.

Natskygge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:37 pm 

Recently I was sort of recommended Pentagram, but for several reasons I never got to ask the person where he'd recommend me to start. From what I've read about the band it sounds like it's something I potentially could like, so my question is quite simple: What album(s) should I begin with?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:56 pm 

I usually start with the first album when I check a band.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:40 pm 

If it's a big-name band, I go to their M-A page and check out the albums with an average rating over 60%. And then I go in order.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:34 pm 

Natskygge wrote:
Recently I was sort of recommended Pentagram, but for several reasons I never got to ask the person where he'd recommend me to start. From what I've read about the band it sounds like it's something I potentially could like, so my question is quite simple: What album(s) should I begin with?

Relentless and Day of Reckoning. Another good one to get is First Days Here, which is a compilation of demos and singles they did in the 70s. I don't like that era of the band as much as the 80s era, but there are still some good songs there none the less.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:03 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
If it's a big-name band, I go to their M-A page and check out the albums with an average rating over 60%. And then I go in order.

I would normally check out the ones with the highest score. Even if it's like a 1 point difference.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:52 am 

Can you guys recommend me some sludge with amazing clean vocals? Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjYTg01gjng and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2qLY4KHCYE

:metal:

Last edited by henkkjelle on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shiduba
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:24 pm 

Rorcal - Heliogabalus

Man, this album is the most fucking heavy thing ever, and I've heard LOTS of heavy things. Listening to this album makes me feel weird in a way that no other music can do. And it's fucking awesome, I mean it's a 70 minute album with just one song and that one song actually feels like a song and not just a clusterfuck of ideas. I LOVE IT. And they're also going to release a new album early next year, with a preview song already up which I am too lazy to search for right now. It will be amazing.

Natskygge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:54 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Natskygge wrote:

Relentless and Day of Reckoning. Another good one to get is First Days Here, which is a compilation of demos and singles they did in the 70s. I don't like that era of the band as much as the 80s era, but there are still some good songs there none the less.

Thank you! I'll give them a listen.

Metantoine wrote:
I usually start with the first album when I check a band.

Yes, that is of course a good place to begin. But I also like to hear the albums that are the best examples of a band's style, and then work my way through their discography and hear the evolution or changes (if there are any).

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:35 pm 

Could anyone recommend me some kinda spacey death/doom like Seidr or any sludge like this Thou song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TK0gWRz64U

Thanks!

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:27 am 

analog_winter wrote:
Could anyone recommend me some kinda spacey death/doom like Seidr

try Sea of Bones and Rorcal. And Woebegone Obscured, and Asunder and maybe, for a more shoegaze approach, Ocean of Ghosts.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:17 am 

Two new tracks from the upcoming album by The Wizar'd!

Ancient Tome of Arcane Knowledge

The Moss that Grew on the Sorcerer's Grave

Both sound killer! I loved their last effort, Pathways into Darkness, so I'm quite excited for this. It's completely mixed and mastered as of a few days ago, too.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:44 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Natskygge wrote:

Relentless is definitely their best as far as non-70s material, but please please please for your own sake do NOT sleep on Be Forewarned. I ignored that one for awhile because of the release date and a few song titles that worried me. I was a fool, and I think its EASILY better than Day of Reckoning. Be Forewarned has those amazing Iommi-esque riffs but there's this really dramatic quality to the whole album. Top-tier doom without a doubt.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:31 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
analog_winter wrote:
Could anyone recommend me some kinda spacey death/doom like Seidr

try Sea of Bones and Rorcal. And Woebegone Obscured, and Asunder and maybe, for a more shoegaze approach, Ocean of Ghosts.

Thanks! I'll check those out. Actually, I think I've heard a bit of stuff from Asunder and they were exactly the style I was looking for.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:30 am 

Looking for a band similar to Acid Witch and Hooded Menace, BUT using clean vocals.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:40 am 

analog_winter wrote:
Actually, I think I've heard a bit of stuff from Asunder and they were exactly the style I was looking for.

Start with The Clarion Call; imo, you can skip their split with Like Flies etc...

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:58 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
analog_winter wrote:
Actually, I think I've heard a bit of stuff from Asunder and they were exactly the style I was looking for.

Start with The Clarion Call; imo, you can skip their split with Like Flies etc...

Thanks, I'll give that album a listen when I get the chance.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:19 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Can you guys recommend me some sludge with amazing clean vocals? Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjYTg01gjng and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2qLY4KHCYE

Yes, I'm actually bumping myself.. :oh shit:

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:56 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpREOTVyWL0
Sorry for the obvious rec. I just happen to be listening to this right now.

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:46 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

Check out Centurions Ghost, cool band. Not clean vocals that much, but I wanted share this band :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsoQlyGD_2M

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:01 am 

Centurions Ghost is pretty good, though not exacly what I am looking for.. Glad you recommended them anyway!

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:34 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

Check out Cough's album Ritual Abuse. He's got the whole scream/clean/scream/clean thing going on, which I'm normally not a huge fan of but this is warranted. The cleans soar and are amazing, totally worth waiting for haha.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:38 pm 

Anybody got any Lovecraft themed traditional or epic doom? I've come across a few but the only "Lovecraftian" doom band I really liked was a Funeral Doom band named Fungoid Stream.
yeah I could use the search thingy on the archives but I don't wanna listen to every damn band till I find something worth listening to frequently.
Sooo yeah. Any help would be appreciated :D
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:40 pm 

Grimbeard wrote:
Check out Cough's album Ritual Abuse. He's got the whole scream/clean/scream/clean thing going on, which I'm normally not a huge fan of but this is warranted. The cleans soar and are amazing, totally worth waiting for haha.

Cough is pretty cool because I'm getting a Electric Wizard vibe from them. I do think that the vocalist is trying a little to hard to imitate Jus Oborn's vocals style, and it gets a little annoying after prolonged exposure. His harsh vocals are pretty good though.

Butt Rayge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:50 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Eh, I've never been a huge fan of Dopesmoker. Maybe if it had riffs that didn't rely completely on tone worship (I like tone worship, but it's not done incredibly well here).

Also, kind of late to the discussion but Horn of the Rhino kick ass. The vocalist is a sexy grungy beast.

I definitely prefer Holy Mountain to Dopesmoker, but I do like it.

And Horn Of The Rhino are amazing. I found them by chance on youtube in the related videos of a prog rock band. I'm surprised they're not very well know yet.

I've been enjoying Call Of The Wretched Sea lately, while in the past I've tried funeral doom and hated it, but time moves on and tastes change and progress and it's time for another try, I think. Where should I go from here?

~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:36 am 

How about epic doom like scald, and Proto doom like ghost

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:38 am 

FrozenDoom wrote:
How about epic doom like scald, and Proto doom like ghost

He asked for funeral doom, dude...And Ghost isn't proto doom. Proto doom must be something before Sabbath, stuff like Blue Cheer perhaps. Ghost isn't even doom to be honest.

My favs funeral doom bands: Esoteric, Skepticism, Mournful Congregation, not a big fan of the genre though.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:02 am 

While we're talking about funeral doom, check out Abstract Spirit's Tragedy and Weeds. Really great stuff with cool weird stuff like New Orleans brass. Fungoid Stream are also really cool. I like Lordamor, but they're kind of a mix of funeral and that whole "torture" doom thing.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:11 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Proto doom must be something before Sabbath, stuff like Blue Cheer perhaps.

Or rather doomy hard rock/metal that was recorded before the genre of doom metal was established in the 1980's?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:15 am 

Doomsday wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Or rather doomy hard rock/metal that was recorded before the genre of doom metal was established in the 1980's?

Also this, I guess, Sabbath was pretty much alone till the 80s.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:54 am 

Doomsday wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Pentagram and Bedemon would be the obvious answers.

Pentagram - Forever My Queen
Bedemon - Child of Darkness

A couple not so obvious answers that aren't on the archives would be Antonius Rex's album Neque Semper Arcum Tendit Rex from 1974 (this album is doom metal, all their other albums are progressive rock), and Icecross.

Antonius Rex - In Hoc Signo Vinces
Icecross - 1999

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:57 am 

Nobody asked for these recommendations though. I'm gonna check out Antonius Rex, looks cool!

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:02 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Nobody asked for these recommendations though. I'm gonna check out Antonius Rex, looks cool!

I thought Doomsday was asking for them? Oh well.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:05 am 

Nah, Doomsday is a doom specialist, he was arguing about my post and he was right to do it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 133  Next