Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:48 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Call me crazy but I think Coroner's Mental Vortex is their best album. It's groovy, but on a good way.

I agree with you, it's trippy stoner music for me. I feel relaxed listening to it but can still bang my head to sections as well.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:17 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Not sure which section to write my appreciation of this band, but thrash section wins because it came first haha. Just listened to Matthias steele's first album and this is some quirky, yet highly entertaining power/thrash that I never hear anything about. That vocalist has some insane pipes on him that is for sure. What is the second album like?

I've only heard Haunting Tales... but yeah it kicks major ass. Except for the shrill mouse-like verses in some songs, it's a damn awesome listen. Just going by the trend here, but an awesome thrash band that releases a come-back album in the 2000's is usually a recipe for disappointment.

Yeah, checked out the album and while it is not terrible it is definitely more modern sounding and the riffs are not not as imaginative as the early stuff they came up with. Slower pace too. Amazingly the singer still has his pipes at full throttle (As of 2007 anyway) busting out some worthy falsettos akin to Haunting Tales. But all said, it couldn't keep my interest like its predecessor. Not the Worst comeback out there.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:51 pm 

Hey guys, I'm not really a thrash fan overall; but it seems the one sound of thrash I can actually get into is tech thrash after listening to the new band Vektor. Can I get some recs of bands in this style with interesting riffs, build/release musical tension, and sometimes play at varying tempos and feels rather than just one?
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:58 pm 

MGSX666 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm not really a thrash fan overall; but it seems the one sound of thrash I can actually get into is tech thrash after listening to the new band Vektor. Can I get some recs of bands in this style with interesting riffs, build/release musical tension, and sometimes play at varying tempos and feels rather than just one?

Have some Outcast. They're techy, they're thrash, and they've got that extreme metal edge.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:11 pm 

I'm looking for ''standard'' thrash metal with awesome lead guitars. What I mean by this is thrash that's by no means very melodic (e.g Anthrax) nor heavy (Slayer) nor very technical and out there (e.g ''Watchtower) but thrash metal that's just kinda in the middle of road as far as technical skills/heaviness goes. A good example would be Megadeth or perhaps Testament circa The Legacy (minus the mediocre riffs)

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:24 am 

colin040 wrote:
I'm looking for ''standard'' thrash metal with awesome lead guitars. What I mean by this is thrash that's by no means very melodic (e.g Anthrax) nor heavy (Slayer) nor very technical and out there (e.g ''Watchtower) but thrash metal that's just kinda in the middle of road as far as technical skills/heaviness goes. A good example would be Megadeth or perhaps Testament circa The Legacy (minus the mediocre riffs)

Hmm, this is a tough one.

Maybe HEXENHAUS's - Tribute to Insanity?

For new bands, maybe DERETLA's demo but they have a bit of death metal in their sound.

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:43 am 

Whoa,I just discovered Sacrifice (Can) http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sacrifice/462
Great thrash/speed from the 80's. For some reason I missed the boat on these guys which is strange because I grew up on the Canadian boarder during the exact time they came out. The only explanation would be that ,due to the fact that so much quality music was being released at the time that they flew under the radar.
Any fans?

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:56 am 

colin040 wrote:

Exodus? Maybe it's that they were the first thrash metal band I really got into but they feel like standard thrash metal to me. Not as dark and heavy as Slayer or Dark Angel but certainly packs that basic "pissed off" punch and is certainly not as melodic as Anthrax or Metallica.

Another one would be Exumer's Possessed By Fire album. The title track is almost something that could be in the dictionary just under "thrash metal".
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:24 pm 

So after months, if not a year or so, of waiting and searching I have FINALLY stumbled accross From the Darkest Depths of the Imagination by Silent Scream. Of course it is used but I dont give a shit, I ordered it the moment I saw it. I bought it off of Amazon.com and there are a few more on there ranging from $18 to $46 if any one is interested.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:28 pm 

That's a great album, "Distraction of Thought" is probably my favorite track due to that punishing riff that kicks in at the end of the song.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:34 pm 

Tracks that stick out to me are Matrix Of Madness and the title track. I have never heard FTDDOTI in its entirety and I am not sure If I have even heard every song on the album. I just constatly listen to Silent Scream on YouTube. I seriously can not believe these guys did not have more success than they did or at least release more material.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:04 pm 

hunglikemouse wrote:
Whoa,I just discovered Sacrifice (Can) http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sacrifice/462
Great thrash/speed from the 80's. For some reason I missed the boat on these guys which is strange because I grew up on the Canadian boarder during the exact time they came out. The only explanation would be that ,due to the fact that so much quality music was being released at the time that they flew under the radar.
Any fans?

Sacrifice has quite a few fans here I believe, me included. Forward to Termination is in my top 10 thrash albums.

Ktulu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:32 pm 

hunglikemouse wrote:
Any fans?

Forward to Termination and Soldiers of Misfortune are two of the best thrash albums released by anyone, anywhere. Their comeback album is no slouch either.

kurtangler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:49 am 

Sanity Obscure (SG) has just released the album "Subterranean Constellation" for digital download on Bandcamp. If you like the music, you can purchase individual tracks ($1.20 USD) or the full album ($8.00) from the Bandcamp page here : http://sanityobscuresg.bandcamp.com/

This band and album is said to be for fans of Voivod, Nocturnus, Pestilence, Anacrusis, Atheist, Death and many more. If you like a blend of Technical Thrash Metal with experimental touches, moods of space and sheer intensity, you might like this release.

Guest musicians/appearances include Kevin Hufnagel (GORGUTS, DYSRHYTHMIA) and Bruce Lamont (YAKUZA). Mastered by Colin Marston (BEHOLD... THE ARCTOPUS, GORGUTS DYSRHYTHMIA).

Bandcamp : http://sanityobscuresg.bandcamp.com/
FB Link : https://www.facebook.com/SanityObscureSG

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:01 am 

One of the newer thrash metal bands that I came across is Besieged (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Besieged/77512)
Pity they split up though. Their style is heavily influenced by 80s thrash, more in the vein of Sepultura (Beneath the remains-era). They've got a good vibe and I highly recommend these guys, if you haven't checked them out already.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:04 am 

I really liked Besieged's demo but I found the album rather bland.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:16 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
I really liked Besieged's demo but I found the album rather bland.

Yeah, the demo rules. I listen to that more than the album.

Something that is so memorable about Besieged's sound is the snare drum. But that's just me =)

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:59 pm 

Looking for crossover thrash worth checking out. Love stuff that's heavily punky, like the Cro-Mags. Also love stuff like Cross Examination, Municipal Waste, and D.R.I.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:34 pm 

For crossover try these. PC Deathsquad, Rumble Militia, Suicidal Tendencies, Cryptic Slaughter, Wehrmacht, Leeway, Ratos De Porao, Acid Drinkers, Dr. Living Dead.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:33 pm 

hunglikemouse wrote:
Any fans?

Sacrifice is awesome. Torment In Fire and Forward To Termination are some of my favorite thrash albums ever. Perhaps part of that for me personally is that I followed them since they started, but they've always been among my most-liked thrash bands and certainly seem to be lesser-known or underrated.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:34 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
For crossover try these. PC Deathsquad, Rumble Militia, Suicidal Tendencies, Cryptic Slaughter, Wehrmacht, Leeway, Ratos De Porao, Acid Drinkers, Dr. Living Dead.

Excel - Split Image and The Joke's On You are great albums in the crossover vein, also. Big 2nd to CS, Wehrmacht, and Suicidal.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:09 pm 

overkill666 wrote:
Looking for crossover thrash worth checking out. Love stuff that's heavily punky, like the Cro-Mags. Also love stuff like Cross Examination, Municipal Waste, and D.R.I.

Check out this band called Wehrmacht. They're kinda old though and maybe defunct at the moment, but they're a fun band.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:11 am 

Here is a rather informative interview with Vektor's frontman, David DiSanto (vocals and lead/rhythm guitar), where he gives some insight regarding his inspirations, the way he writes music, and Outer Isolation's creative process, among other things. Thought you people might find it interesting.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:25 am 

Pretty nice interview. I hope Vektor end up getting signed to a larger label. I am not sure who they would fit on though. For some reason I think Metal Blade would be a good choice. Their roster is eather varied and has the power to get Vektor out there.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:17 am 

TheIbexMoon666 wrote:
Pretty nice interview. I hope Vektor end up getting signed to a larger label. I am not sure who they would fit on though. For some reason I think Metal Blade would be a good choice. Their roster is eather varied and has the power to get Vektor out there.

They have somewhat been signed to a bigger label. Details here.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:22 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
AcidWorm wrote:

Excel - Split Image and The Joke's On You are great albums in the crossover vein, also. Big 2nd to CS, Wehrmacht, and Suicidal.

I'll have to check out the Excel release. I know them by name, but have not heard any of their tunes.

Also need to check out PC Deathsquad, Rumble Militia, Dr. Living Dead, Leeway, Ratos De Porao, and Acid Drinkers. I've listened to Cryptic Slaughter, Suicidal Tendencies, and Wehrmacht. They're definitely classics.

I'm definitely looking for some underground/underrated kind of stuff. Thanks for the current rec's, checking them all out now.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:35 am 

kurtangler wrote:
Sanity Obscure (SG) has just released the album "Subterranean Constellation" for digital download on Bandcamp. If you like the music, you can purchase individual tracks ($1.20 USD) or the full album ($8.00) from the Bandcamp page here : http://sanityobscuresg.bandcamp.com/

This band and album is said to be for fans of Voivod, Nocturnus, Pestilence, Anacrusis, Atheist, Death and many more. If you like a blend of Technical Thrash Metal with experimental touches, moods of space and sheer intensity, you might like this release.

Just checked these guys out. I ended up downloading the album for 8 bucks. All though I much rather get my hands on a physical copy. Sanity Obscure definitely have a Pestilence vibe to their riffs. I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing.

androdion wrote:
TheIbexMoon666 wrote:

Interesting. Its nice to see that Earache already seem to want to push these bands. They already have a few modern thrash acts like Evile, Bonded By Blood, and Municiple Waste. I have faith in them. Lets see what the future holds.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:11 pm 

overkill666 wrote:
I'm definitely looking for some underground/underrated kind of stuff. Thanks for the current rec's, checking them all out now.

The Accused - Martha Splatterhead (1985)
The Accused - The Return Of Martha Splatterhead (1986)
Post Mortem - The Coroner's Office (1986)
Agnostic Front - Cause For Alarm (1986)
Apple Maggot Quarantine Area - Mutant Cats From Hell (http://amqa.bandcamp.com/album/mutant-cats-from-hell)

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:18 pm 

TheIbexMoon666 wrote:
androdion wrote:

Interesting. Its nice to see that Earache already seem to want to push these bands. They already have a few modern thrash acts like Evile, Bonded By Blood, and Municiple Waste. I have faith in them. Lets see what the future holds.

Hopefully they won't start sucking ass like those 3 and pretty much every other band on earache
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:21 pm 

It all depends on how much control they'll have over those bands. If they bought Heavy Artillery to have them as a subsidiary is one thing, but if on the other hand they've bought it just to get the rights on those bands, and the current money cow Vektor, then anything can happen. As of now they are doing the "reissue the whole catalogue under our name" thing they usually do, what's next no one can predict.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:13 pm 

Message to Earache; if you mess with Vektor, I'm gonna burn your studio/s to the ground and fucking kill you and all of your families. Thanks for listening!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:20 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Message to Earache; if you mess with Vektor, I'm gonna burn your studio/s to the ground and fucking kill you and all of your families. Thanks for listening!

You're a rebel. Earache didn't mess with Wormrot, don't know why they would mess with Vetkor. Cool these latino jets.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:23 pm 

Dude, Vektor is not that great. I don't see why you're sweating yourself, Xlxlx.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:29 pm 

Ralf you have already shown that you aren't one to be a voice on anything thrash related. :p

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:56 pm 

Hey bro, I'm a huge Metallica fan!!!

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:11 am 

ralfikk123 wrote:
Dude, Vektor is not that great. I don't see why you're sweating yourself, Xlxlx.

Yes it is, one of the very few thrash bands I enjoy, they are great, just saying... :-P

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:11 am 

colin040 wrote:

Armored Saint? They have some standard thrash metal songs with great solos. Check out Reign of Fire.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:00 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

You're a rebel. Earache didn't mess with Wormrot, don't know why they would mess with Vetkor. Cool these latino jets.

May I excuse myself for my behavior. It's just that Vektor is pretty much the only modern band I hold as high as the classic thrash titans, and I would like them to remain the way they are. And Ralf; yes, Vektor IS that great. You just haven't realized it yet :-P

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:41 pm 

Yeah, Vektor are pretty beast.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:14 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

May I excuse myself for my behavior. It's just that Vektor is pretty much the only modern band I hold as high as the classic thrash titans, and I would like them to remain the way they are. And Ralf; yes, Vektor IS that great. You just haven't realized it yet :-P

Refrain from pointless comments like "I'll kill all your families" though, it makes you sound like a stupid 16 years old. Something you are not, right?

But yes, Vektor is pretty much the only modern thrash band I like. :)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 136  Next