Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:57 pm 

I'm really considering pulling the trigger on one of these. The bit I've heard of them, they sound fantastic. The only complaints I've heard are that it doesn't have a clean channel - which I don't care about - and that it can be a bit muddy. But then I listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=murnnXJtaiY and it doesn't really sound muddy to me at all. Does anyone around here have any experience with the Dark Terror?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:28 pm 

This is probably a better example of it's tone. http://youtu.be/NF7iok0j2U4

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:42 pm 

While I like Orange amps, I think they're really expensive for what they are with other amps currently on the market. Orange amps have a wonderful reputation built on their amps that were exceptional through the 90s, but these days I think they are standing out from other amps less than they used to. There are a lot of used Mesa amps and 5150/6505s that I think are more versatile (and are suitable for larger shows) that you can get a 50/100w version of for the price of a 7w one of these. The limited controls on these Orange amps also require choosing a few pedals to help shape your tone. They don't simply sound great when you plug your guitar into one of them, you're going to need something between them if you like to carve your own tone.

They sound great, but they aren't an exceptional plug-and-play amp like these videos make it seem. The cabinet, microphone placement, and guitar are a huge part of it, and they are best paired with pedals. While I have heard them sound great with other guitarists, I have played through one and it wasn't as exceptional as these videos make them seem.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:19 pm 

The price isn't an issue for me, and I'm not concerned at all with versatility. I prefer "one trick pony" amplifiers, as I don't use clean channels or other crap anyways. I just need a low watt amp for bedroom playing and recording, and the dark terror seems to be fitting the bill better than others. A Mesa, 5150, or other would be okay, but I don't need the watts or the versatility. A lot of people tend to recommend the blackstar HT5, but from the videos I've seen of it, I didn't like the tone at all. My issue is that right now I'm stationed overseas in a place where there's no guitar shops, so I can't really try out any amps, and I have to make my decision based on other people's opinions and youtube videos. I like the simplicity of the dark terror, and I'm fine with mic placement, etc, as I'll just set it up and leave it that way. As long as it sounds good and is low watts and all tube, I'm happy.

That being said, once I get back to 'merica, I'll most likely buy an Engl and try to start a band again. But for now I just want low watts.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:32 pm 

And while I do have myself already pretty convinced that I want a dark terror, I had to just ruin it by watching a clip of a 5150. God damn that thing sounds good. AAAHHHH!!! TOO MANY OPTIONS!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:04 pm 

I don't think you'll find anything even close to the Tiny Terror or Dark Terror in terms of being a compact amp that you can easily bring home. Shipping most amps is really expensive, but you could fit that thing in a suitcase!

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:46 pm 

I looked at the Orange amps and liked them, but for me I either want a cheap practice amp that I can throw in the car and not worry about damaging, or a fully functional head for more serious occasions. The Orange is a relatively expensive low-watt practice amp, from what I saw.

Sounds pretty good to me though. Just not the right price point for the purpose.

I'm also looking at Engl heads (again). I had two of them years & years ago, and loved them. They no longer work. I'd like to upgrade to a later model rather than repair my old ones.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:06 pm 

Check out the thread I posted a couple days called something like "listen to this tone" or something like that. It's an Engl Savage, and sounds absolutely incredible.

Zodijackyl - that's another plus for me. I got tired of moving a 120 watt tube head and a 4X12 cab. So for now I want a dark terror or something similar, and I'm going to build a 2X12 cab. I just have to make sure I use the right dimensions and whatnot.

Reply to topic