Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:24 am 

Yes, Mornox's eight was indeed for "Thousand Swords." I would've given him an eight for his Leviathan review if I had been around to accept it, as well.

Anyway, don't get too intimate, folks. Do so, and I'll give SoulSeekJay an eight for his 235,573th 98% "metal"core review next time he inevitably comes around, just to spoil your fun. ;)

EDIT: I'd be interested in seeing some reviews for the Greek band End, if someone could oblige.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:59 pm 

Nightgaunt wrote:
Anyway, don't get too intimate, folks. Do so, and I'll give SoulSeekJay an eight for his 235,573th 98% "metal"core review next time he inevitably comes around, just to spoil your fun. ;)
I will kill you. You know that, right?

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:13 pm 

Would anyone really care if I deleted all, or at least most, of SSJ's reviews?

By the way, anyone who has 'The Wreck-age" by Tygers of Pan Tang, please review it.

ultraborissuckscock
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:27 am 

i think you should review something by britney or jessica simpson

Glemte_hage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:57 am 

But they are too underground, never heard them

I ended up getting punched in the face and my lip started bleeding all over my shirt. IT WAS AWESOME!

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:05 am 

PhantomOTO wrote:
Would anyone really care if I deleted all, or at least most, of SSJ's reviews?

By the way, anyone who has 'The Wreck-age" by Tygers of Pan Tang, please review it.

You're a mod now, too, eh? I'm really out of the loop.

Anyway, the answer to your question is a resounding "no."
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:04 pm 

The Demigod review for "Slumber Of Sullen Eyes" is up if anyone is interested. Some feedback would be appreciated, if possible.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:07 am 

I accepted that one. You did a fine job. With the addition of that review, there was no longer any reason to keep the Falconsbane review on the page, said review being inordinately diminuitive.

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:45 pm 

Nightgaunt wrote:
I accepted that one. You did a fine job. With the addition of that review, there was no longer any reason to keep the Falconsbane review on the page, said review being inordinately diminuitive.

If his first paragraph was any indication, we were in for a fine review. Too bad it doesn't always turn out like that.

fireofawakening
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:57 pm 

I'd like to see what someone else thinks of the "Grove of the Neoliths" demo by Valaskjalf.

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:14 am 

A negative review of either Bonded by Blood or Darkness Descends would so totally make my day.

Gabometal86
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:08 am 

Cheeses_Priced wrote:
A negative review of either Bonded by Blood or Darkness Descends would so totally make my day.

That seems really difficult to happen. Bonded By Blood is regarded as one of the best thrash albums ever (agreed) and Darkness Descends is UltraBoris´ favourite album and so 95% of the guys give it scores over 90%. It´s a really nice and brutal thrash album but it´s not THAT great as many people wants you to believe.

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:50 pm 

Gabometal86 wrote:
Cheeses_Priced wrote:

That seems really difficult to happen. Bonded By Blood is regarded as one of the best thrash albums ever (agreed) and Darkness Descends is UltraBoris´ favourite album and so 95% of the guys give it scores over 90%. It´s a really nice and brutal thrash album but it´s not THAT great as many people wants you to believe.

Indeed. If I were to review that album now, I'd give it something in the range of 71-80.

KayTeeBee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:56 pm 

PhantomOTO wrote:
Gabometal86 wrote:
Cheeses_Priced wrote:

Indeed. If I were to review that album now, I'd give it something in the range of 71-80.

I'd give it more like 75/85. :D

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:56 pm 

Cheeses_Priced wrote:

I just gave Darkness Descends a 48, and I felt that was probably a little charitable.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:08 pm 

Meh. Bonded By Blood is overrated. I'd like to see someone trash it.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:38 pm 

An album with 6092 riffs and few dynamics. It must be better than "Nespithe"...

swoop
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:06 am 

I agree. Demilich is overrated due to their distinctiveness. Darkness Descends is overrated (not even the best Dark Angel album) but not by much , and Bonded by Blood is nothing short of a thrash masterpiece. You people should stop thinking that music is all about integrating surrealism and nihilism in post-structualist and holist manners.

zealot1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:36 am 

swoop wrote:
You people should stop thinking that music is all about integrating surrealism and nihilism in post-structualist and holist manners.

I agree.

P.S. I've just noticed that Funebre's Children of the Scorn album hasn't been reviewed yet. I'm a terrible reviewer so count me out, but perhaps someone else would be willing to volunteer for the job

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:03 pm 

My Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution review has been submitted, but not accepted. I believe Sticky requested it prior to the hack, so here it is (finally).

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:19 pm 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
My Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution review has been submitted, but not accepted. I believe Sticky requested it prior to the hack, so here it is (finally).

Thanks much dude. I'll check it out as soon as it's accepted.

EDIT: Just read through it. Excellent work yet again. :)

Exkretor wrote:

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:09 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:

Thanks much dude. I'll check it out as soon as it's accepted.

EDIT: Just read through it. Excellent work yet again. :)

My pleasure. Well, I wasn't experiencing much pleasure the other two times I tried to write it, but I'm fairly fond of it. And another eight points doesn't hurt.

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:06 pm 

Falconsbane wrote:
I just gave Darkness Descends a 48, and I felt that was probably a little charitable.

*applauds*

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:19 pm 

swoop wrote:
I agree. Demilich is overrated due to their distinctiveness. Darkness Descends is overrated (not even the best Dark Angel album) but not by much , and Bonded by Blood is nothing short of a thrash masterpiece. You people should stop thinking that music is all about integrating surrealism and nihilism in post-structualist and holist manners.

I was being sarcastic. "Nespithe" is classic.

In reply to the second part of your post: No.

Scarred_Soul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:15 pm 

I'm gonna be the first to give a review for Burzum - Burzum/Aske that has a negative opinion. :D

Wszebad wrote:
True Metalhead from grim and frostbitten Poland, we do not yield to homosexual false mall-metallers, no we don't!

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:56 pm 

I encourage someone to write a review on Gorgut's Obscura that details the thematic implications and overall feel. Never have I seen one.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:06 pm 

Thamuz wrote:
I encourage someone to write a review on Gorgut's Obscura that details the thematic implications and overall feel. Never have I seen one.

Meaning... Abominatrix yes?

GoD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:40 pm 

I certainly don't feel up to tackling Obscura at the moment. I might be able to squeeze out a Golem review though.

BARD_Jean_Pierre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:31 am 

Thamuz wrote:

Thematic implications: WE'RE REALLY TECHNICAL.

Overall feel: Overtly technical Death Metal.

Final verdict: The following album was better, much more balanced and focused. And you can't go wrong with their early stuff.
Son don't hurt me only for that...ok!?!?!?!?

therm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:24 am 

It would be nice if some of the people who have heard some latvian bands, would tell about their impressions in a form of review. Bands like Nglected Fields, Skyforger, Sanctimony etc.

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:44 pm 

Thamuz wrote:

I'm not sure if he's heard it. We'll soon find out when he notices this thread.

GoD: I've only heard "Dreamweaver" from Golem, how does their earlier work compare?

GoD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:08 pm 

Whilst Dreamweaver is a warped, sweeping, almost blizzard-like chaotic landscape (though paradoxically, warmer than their other recordings), Eternity: The Weeping Horizons is a much more measured, imposing beast. "An exploration of the vast and complex space within the human mind, often jaggedly weaving through unstable territory."* The transitions between moods are just flawless, making this my favourite of the three.

*A description originally intending to describe Golem's sound as a whole, over at the MJ board. I feel the debut best represents it, though.

The 2nd Moon is probably the weakest, but it still serves as the logical gap-bridger between the debut and latest (though closer to Eternity...), retaining the chugging, unsettled melodies of the former whilst integrating a few of the more syncopated, sweeping ideas that would appear on the latter. The unusually mechanical rhythmic nature of the debut isn't as prevalent, and the melodies/structure on this one are less unique and effective than on the other two, but you'll be hard-pushed to find a release with a lower fans-to-quality ratio.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:10 pm 

Thamuz wrote:
Thamuz wrote:

I'm not sure if he's heard it. We'll soon find out when he notices this thread.

GoD: I've only heard "Dreamweaver" from Golem, how does their earlier work compare?

Hah, I'm not sure I could do it. That album really mystifies me. I used to have it, but no longer. I should remedy that though as it really is an interesting piece of work, and maybe more intensive listening would help me to draw some definite conclusions about it.

BTW< I definitely didn't think "From Wisdom to Hate" was a superior album, but, on the other hand, "Erosion of Sanity" is utterly fantastic.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:39 pm 

Someone should do one for Autopsy's "Severed Survival". That album needs more reviews.

Exkretor wrote:

Darkfist007
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:42 pm 

A non-homophobic/angry/pointless flaming, reveiw of Rotting Christ's The sleep of angels.

Gabometal86
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:02 pm 

Darkfist007 wrote:
A non-homophobic/angry/pointless flaming, reveiw of Rotting Christ's The sleep of angels.

Well, you´ve got a point that my review is full of angry and flaming, but it´s not damn homophobic!.

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:41 pm 

No takers for "Obscura", I take it? How about some more Pungent Stench reviews?

GoD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:49 pm 

Haven't heard them.

Why the HELL does Holocaust's The Nightcomers have no reviews?! I'm flabbergasted.

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:07 pm 

I've never heard of the band personally, the NWOBHM throws me off a little. A description please?

GoD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:19 pm 

It stands as possibly the best-produced NWOBHM album ever, and was fairly advanced (at least in places) for the time, so I'm just surprised considering the number of nwobhmosexuals on here that it's not been reviewed.

Heavy Metal Mania approaches being my favourite NWOBHM song, and Death and Glory is enjoyable too (with the rest ranging from decent to annoying). I'd recommend it as one of the best NWOBHM recordings around, if you're into that sort of thing. ;)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 78  Next