Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:26 pm 

Just watched The Others this morning and it was fucking awesome. Blows The Sixth Sense out of the water by a mile. Excellent film.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:32 pm 

argento420 wrote:
Suspira-So what if it doesnt make sense, this is argento's most striking visual masterpiece.

I think it makes sense, but while I feel its great I think that inferno is Argento's true masterpiece, or at least the best of the Three Mothers...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

maxoftoronto
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:50 pm 

Love horror movies ..even used to make latex horror masks and do horror conventions about 4 yrs ago i stopped to concentrate on my landscaping biz here are some of my favorites

1 Phantasm
2 Zombi 2
3 Brainscan
4 Texas chainsaw massacre 2
5 The Gate
4 Ghoulies
5 The Blob ...80s remake
6 Prince of Darkness
7 Trick or treat
8 Maximum Overdrive
9 Ginger snaps
10 The Lost Boys

Some of these may be early 90s but i think most are 80s Zombi 2 is probably late 70s ...I know some of these are mixed with comedy and not shit your pants scary horror but i love em and thats just a fun list off the top of my head

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:27 am 

Nice to see another person with Prince of Darkness on their "top" list.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:45 pm 

And Phantasm as well. I've always liked the dreamy aspect of that movie. I read that this is attributed to the fact that the first cut was over 3 hours long, which is pretty intense. Anyways, I think I'm the only one that likes the second Hellraiser more than the first. The music in that movie is chilling.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:44 am 

SluseTheInventor wrote:
Not sure if trolling, or just poorly informed

I would say "The Thing From Another World" if I was referring to the first one. ;)
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Nephilum667
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:25 am 

Also watched Peeping Tom (1960) recently- very well done stuff. The scenes where they show you his point of view from the camera give you a great immersive experience of his mind and this is perpetuated by his nervous antics and awkwardness with people. Very psychological stuff going on in this film and Karlheinz Böhm does a great job of portraying Mark Lewis (main character).

Posthumousdecay
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:08 am 

Great Thread topic, can tell who the younger fans are by their movie choices, but sticking to the topic of 80's horror flicks here's mine in no particular order.
1) Happy Birthday to Me- Killer shish-ka-bob through throat and face to motorcycle wheel scene, hard to find though.
2) My Bloody Valentine- Like the use of miner's outfit and pick-axe!
3) The Evil Dead I- All time classic-i remember me and friends watching in high school and rooting on "the pencil chick"
4) Madman- made and finally released on DVD so easier to find now. Beware the Madman Mars!
5) Boogeyman 1&2- and not with Michael Meyers movies, the original Boogeyman.
6) Halloween II- My favorite of them all-gotta love hammer claw to head and scalpel stab & lift scene w shoes falling off. "You don't know what death is"
7) The Thing- The gore & originality of kill scenes gets this classic on list
8)The Burning-don't know why but this one sticks in memory for some reason.
9) Amityville Horror 2-This one was disturbing for some reason.
10) The Mutilator- Hard to find at one time
Honorable Mentions-The Maniac(for shotgun head scene),The Toolbox Murders,Brain Damage,Terror Vision,Killer Clowns from Outer Space,The Exorcist, Phantasm 2, Hellbound-Hellraiser 2(80'sor90"s?),Dawn of the Dead,Motel Hell,The Gates of Hell,Sleepaway Camp 1,Slumber Party Massacre.

SangreV
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:48 am 

The Devil Rides Out
Rosemary's Baby
The Tenant
Suspiria
Inferno
Dawn of the Dead
The Evil Dead (way better than the 2nd & 3rd films!)
The Exorcist
Salò, or The 120 Days Of Sodom
Santa Sangre

Some of these may not be entirely horror, and these are just some of my favourites pre-90s. Although I do appreciate the 'extreme' and overly graphic direction of many horror films of the last 20 years, it seems that the atmosphere and the heart of many older films cannot be matched by today's films.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:34 pm 

I was JUST about to Rec Devil Rides Out, good stuff man. I'll also add The Last House On Dead End Street, Witchfinder General, and Tombs Of The Blind Dead.
It's lame that Netflix has such a crappy selection of these movies.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:58 pm 

Yeah, agreed about netflix. I canceled my subscription again last week,, there is just nothing else on there I wanted to watch. I was glad to see they had Santa Sangre, though, since someone above just mentioned that.

Regarding Zombie/Zombi 2: I have the conquistador zombie as a backpatch (it was originally a shirt someone gave me for my birthday, but the shirt was too big so I cut it up and made it into a patch. got a lot more use out of it that way.) I fucking love fulci, took me some time to get into him but there is a great dreamlike quality to his films.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:04 pm 

For those of you who really want something graphic in a modern horror movie...Megan is Missing, that's all I can fucking say. Easily the scariest thing I have ever seen.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:29 pm 

I'll definitely check that out. I'm more of a fan of that kind of legitimately disturbing graphic stuff than the retarded Human Centipede type of graphic.

Nephilum667
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:40 am 

SangreV wrote:
The Devil Rides Out
Rosemary's Baby
The Tenant
Suspiria
Inferno
Dawn of the Dead
The Evil Dead (way better than the 2nd & 3rd films!)
The Exorcist
Salò, or The 120 Days Of Sodom
Santa Sangre

Some of these may not be entirely horror, and these are just some of my favourites pre-90s. Although I do appreciate the 'extreme' and overly graphic direction of many horror films of the last 20 years, it seems that the atmosphere and the heart of many older films cannot be matched by today's films.

Contemporary technologies have altered the state of the horror film. The lack of a mono mix along with a lack of film grain has taken away from the film's grittiness- these clean digital systems base a heavy reliance on CGI and stereo mixes (which is usually abused with nothing but atonal violins and very fucking loud booms that serve no purpose other than to surprise the watcher and it's not very effective unless you're in a theater environment). Also, film makers don't care about psychological movies anymore- all they want are the shock treatment films that'll rack in screaming teenage girls who want to cure their boredom with bad movies. I think the only way we'll see films like The Seventh Seal, The Hour of The Wolf, Halloween, and Dahmer again is when a passionate soul will save a few bucks and talks to a few people about making a masterpiece. Until then, netflix and imdb are a click away and there's stuff to watch. Hell, something may very well exist and blow the world away but the closest thing I can see to being a contemporary masterpiece is The Human Centipede.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:46 pm 

Anybody seen The Sinful Dwarf? Jus Osborn from Electric Wizard highly reccomends it.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:26 am 

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Dracula
The Shining
Black Sunday
Susperia
Alucarda
Trick or Treat (80s)
The Thing
Halloween (Original)
Black Christmas
The Wicker Man (Original)
Alice Sweet Alice
Demons
Night of the Demons
Phantasm
Last House on the Left (Original)
Last House on Dead End Street
Sleepaway Camp

There are other's i cant think of right now but these should do..

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:28 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Anybody seen The Sinful Dwarf? Jus Osborn from Electric Wizard highly reccomends it.

It's OK if you see the X-rated version. Like Thriller: A Cruel Picture, it loses something in it's truncated form.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:38 am 

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. Also, I seem to be in the minority that didn't enjoy Suspiria at all.

OnwardToGolgotha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:57 pm 

Witchfinder General and Mark of the Devil are great movies.

the_empyreal_lexicon
Captured in Eternity's Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:07 pm 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
Katmandu wrote:
Alien is another favorite, but many consider it Science Fiction and not horror. Still scary as hell the first time you see it.

Sci-Fi and Horror are two genres that I think go together, really. Perhaps much more so than Sci-Fi and Action.

Aliens? which personally was a far better film for me. I think it proves that action and sci fi can go hand in hand.

Nephilum667
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:47 pm 

Sci-fi is its own thing, outside the horror realm and not action focused. But with stuff like Alien and Predator it blends in with other types of genres so it's tough to say that it's pure sci-fi, in comparison to movies like The Day The Earth Stood Still and War of The Worlds.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:10 am 

Nephilum667 wrote:
Contemporary technologies have altered the state of the horror film. The lack of a mono mix along with a lack of film grain has taken away from the film's grittiness- these clean digital systems base a heavy reliance on CGI and stereo mixes (which is usually abused with nothing but atonal violins and very fucking loud booms that serve no purpose other than to surprise the watcher and it's not very effective unless you're in a theater environment). Also, film makers don't care about psychological movies anymore- all they want are the shock treatment films ...

It's altered the state of the mainstream horror film, I wouldn't say there's no hope for independent films. I certainly wouldn't generalize that no one at all, ever, cares about psychological horror films these days. It's just that no one in Hollywood does.

Nephilum667
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:08 pm 

It was a general assumption, I know there's people who care and demand something better than what's given. However, the only people that could make the largest interest aren't interested in the slightest bit- if they were they would've created something worth watching by now. Like you said though there's hope in the independent film world, but it'll be aeons before people find or create a gem.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:45 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
argento420 wrote:
Suspira-So what if it doesnt make sense, this is argento's most striking visual masterpiece.

I think it makes sense, but while I feel its great I think that inferno is Argento's true masterpiece, or at least the best of the Three Mothers...

I just watched Suspiria for the second time last night, and... I only thought it was ok. It stands out visually, and the score is cool, but it wasn't frightening in the least. I understand that it must have been in 1977, but that can only count for so much with me. As a movie, it was enjoyable (although a bit dragging), but as a horror movie, I really missed the horror, you know?

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:13 am 

Yeah, I kinda felt the same way about Suspiria. It looked cool and was colorful, but otherwise...

Joeyt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:18 am 

10) Happy Birthday to Me- Classic slasher film.
9) The Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn- super cheesy classic.
8) The Hitcher- Very underrated.
7) My Moms A Werewolf- Best of the bad.
6) Halloween 2- Should've ended here.
5) Chopping Mall- Robot head shot. Need I say more.
4) Hellraiser- Demon films don't get much better.
3) Opera a.k.a. Terror at the Opera- Dario Argento's finest hour.
2) Near Dark- Not the best vampire film ever but I really like it.
1) Nightmare on Elm Street and all of the 80s sequels with the exception of 2.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:41 pm 

Although Suspiria disappointed me, I must say that Phenomena did not! Probably my favorite Argento movie. Also watched Zombie and The Beyond recently. Both good, although I might prefer The Beyond just a little bit. Fulci's movies are always so ridiculous. I mean, sometimes it really is about as silly as a woman stubbing her toe, causing her flesh to peel off her skull and an eyeball to go popping out. =P

Yuriihate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:38 am 

Evil Dead is probably one of my all time favourites

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:38 pm 

I watched Antichrist and Candyman with two female friends last night. LOL to Antichrist, Jesus, gotta love insanity. Candyman was more fun. Thinking of watching Hellraiser next, need to see more Clive Barker. I enjoyed reading his Imajica books. I should also show them Texas Chainsaw if they haven't seen it, classic. And maybe High Tension/Session 9.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

~Guest 293116
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:27 am 

Braindead
It's just a fantastic gore fest, and it's hilarious as fuck and has so many memorable lines! "I kick ass for the lord!"

Nephilum667
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:01 pm 

Thankskilling is probably the next best thing to a Troma film. "Gobble gobble, motherfucker!"

By the way, do we have any Toxic Avenger fans here?

MEGANICK89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:14 pm 

I've only seen the first Toxic Avenger and it's awesome.

Just finished watching the Friday the 13th series except for the Parts V and Jason X.

Part VI and IV were my favorites. Everything went perfectly for VI with good characters, fun deaths, Alice Cooper, and I like the James Bond opening sequence too.

For part IV, I enjoyed Crispin Glover...that guy is just awesome. I liked little Cory Feldman's performance too.

Jason Goes to Hell was by far the worst. Bad charcters, stupid story, and awful logic.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:36 pm 

MEGANICK89 wrote:
I've only seen the first Toxic Avenger and it's awesome..

This!

I enjoyed part 4 also, which I saw in a theater at the Pittsburgh Tromafest in 2002, and Lloyd Kaufmann was there and presented it, along with Cannibal! the musical and a few others, I can't remember anymore. Tromeo and Juliet, too, i think (Lloyd signed my VHS copy and drew a head being crushed on it).

~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:58 am 

My favorite horror movies (also my favorite movies ever) are Donnie Darko and the 2005 version of the Call of Cthulhu, but for this category, I love campy 80s stuff like Puppet Master, Night of the Creeps, Fright Night, Lost Boys, and of course the Evil Dead. On the more serious side, I love Halloween. I was Wondering what people thought of the 1982 Lucio Fulci flick The Beyond. I know Candlemass's song Demon's Gate is based off of it.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:36 pm 

Diamhea wrote:

When i finally got round to watching this i really wasn't too impressed at all. For some reason it just didn't grab me. I'll be sure to give it another go eventully. May i ask what you guys like about it in particular?

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:37 am 

Those morbid ecclesiastical chants in the scenes that the Blind Dead rise...are they part of the OST added for atmosphere or are they the Templars actually chanting? Because if they are, that's AWESOME.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:43 pm 

Last horror movie I saw was: Black Sabbath (1963)
It is actually three ''short'' movies, they were all very good. I liked the second and third the best, really good atmosphere!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:51 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Diamhea wrote:

When i finally got round to watching this i really wasn't too impressed at all. For some reason it just didn't grab me. I'll be sure to give it another go eventully. May i ask what you guys like about it in particular?

I did a quick review of the movie when I saw it last year; it's in the movie thread somewhere, but I can't be arsed to search now. I think it had a pretty creepy atmosphere going on, the buildup to the devillish manifestations was awesome, and some of the visceral horror was really out there and fucked up. I don't really remember it all that well. There were a couple of things that I didn't like about it, but that's true for a great many movies, and on the whole I thought it was a real success. I think I like it better than In the MOuth of madness.

Frozen, I love The Beyond. Probably one of the greatest endings to any horror film, too....yes, it's so doooom! Fulci was so good at creating a sense of the world completely twisted out of shape with all manner of fiends pounding at the door. I kind of wish his other, less supernatural movies were more well known, but The Beyond is pretty much a masterpiece of nightmare.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:54 am 

The Beyond is so good and creepy! Ahhh, such great cinematography too. There's some cheese, but what horror movie doesn't have that...but you're completely right about the "twisted" aspect of the film, there's such a tangible sense of dread throughout the movie.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:00 am 

Thiestru wrote:
I just watched Suspiria for the second time last night, and... I only thought it was ok. It stands out visually, and the score is cool, but it wasn't frightening in the least. I understand that it must have been in 1977, but that can only count for so much with me. As a movie, it was enjoyable (although a bit dragging), but as a horror movie, I really missed the horror, you know?

No, I don't know. :P

First of all, why would something so based upon ageless, supernatural sort of horror be more frightening in 1977 than today? I would understand that statement if, say, the movie was a cold war paranoia flick about biological weapons or nukes, though I would argue that those are still threats today, just not in the hands of the Soviet Union!

Secondly, I guess it's a cliché question to ask, but what horror movies do you like? Do you expect to be frightened when you watch a horror movie, or entertained? I think Suspiria taps more directly into the fear instinct and creepiness than do a lot of more contemporary movies. First off, there are the young girls, alone and away from home and in a completely incomprehensible situation in a grim monstrosity of a Teutonic house. then there's a coven of old harpies who will do anything and stop at nothing to get their way/remain hidden. Then there's the basic brutality and sudden violence of the deaths.

I understand if it just doesn't appeal to you for whatever reason, but really, it's about as close to the quintessential horror film/setup as it is possible to be.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next