Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 5845
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:43 pm 
 

caspian wrote:
pretty sure I've done some reviews on my first listen, btw 8) Generally crappy eps when I'm really bored. I did one review by a (now deleted) Drone band, in 8 minutes! I was only halfway through the second song :lol:


Didn't you also review a Trivium album after only hearing the single? Ahhh, good times.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Athena - Twilight of Days

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6197
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:02 am 
 

actually, it was 5 minutes, and I got 8 points for it, that's correct.

That trivium review: wasn't even the single! Just a random song. That was an awful review, though, definitely my worst "review an album without listening to the whole thing" review (and there's a few of 'em!)
_________________
http://www.pozible.com/project/177604 <-- got a crowdfunder thing going for an album I'm doing. Pre-order something!

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6715
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:03 pm 
 

Caspian, it's not so wrong when it's obviously total shit like Trivium. You get a perfectly good picture of it just from listening to 1-2 songs.

MacMoney wrote:
The requirement is four. Four times. You have to listen to it four times before reviewing. If you listen to it any less, even if you skip a second of silence, it'll be rejected. No questions asked. So four.

Yep, and more than that is overanalysing it.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal
Vocalist in Gloaming - vile, crawling death/doom metal

Top
 Profile  
IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 197
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:21 pm 
 

For me, I usually listen to a record for a full 24 hours, whether that be me hearing it four times or 20 times. With that said, I have to make sure the record consumes me on all levels before I actually site down and try to gather my thoughts in Microsoft Word.
_________________
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/nicholas.williams.906
The Occult Cloak (My review/interview blog) - http://occultsavages.wordpress.com

Top
 Profile  
DodensGrav
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:45 pm
Posts: 223
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:42 am 
 

Since I review with the objective of assembling a magazine and publishing a tangible object, I put a lot of time into the reviews that I write, and consequently, I put a lot of time into the albums that I review. Oftentimes it is not until several months after I first acquire a CD that I begin to write a review for it. I like to listen to it several times initially, then give it space and come back to it after a period of time to see if my initial observations are still valid. While this is not the most expedient and contemporaneous means of reviewing, my goal is not to get my take on an album out as fast as possible to make sure that as many people know what I think as possible; rather, my sights are set on a broader ambition than simply "here's what I think about the latest album right now". I like to think of my reviews as complete in the sense that they capture what I expect that I will feel about a particular album for the duration of time while placing it within a historical context of past, present, and future. It takes a lot more time, but it's more rewarding and contributes more in the long run than a series "here's what I think" one-liners.
_________________
The Heretic's Torch magazine

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 4449
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:53 am 
 

Usually 2-3 listens will do it for me. If I can stomach that much ("Holy Creatures Quest" and "American Soldier" were painful enough with one listen).
_________________
Anime Reviews every two weeks!
Artwork once or twice a year!
M-A reviews every leap year!
Last.fm all day long!

Top
 Profile  
vargtorna
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:00 pm
Posts: 29
Location: Eat A, F.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:28 am 
 

I'm pretty terrible at planning reviews, i.e. "I'll check this out n' review it later"

I usually scan through my playlist til a track comes on and I have a really strong opinion on a very specific aspect of it; then scan through their discog for a general background opinion on the band; also good for comparisons), then listen to only the album I'll be reviewing as I'm reviewing it... Some may see this as lazy, waiting for inspiration to 'strike,' but as most have covered -- everyone's different and reviews are as subjective as they come.

Top
 Profile  
morbert
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:36 am
Posts: 741
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:55 am 
 

Unifying_Disorder wrote:
This might be a silly, or subjective question, but i've been wanting to review my music collection, and I just want some advice, about how many times listening to something is good before you write a review for it?

Some releases ony a few times other hundreds. But I have to say I want to at least hear a new release 5 times before reviewing. except when I totally and truly HATE it. In that case 3 times is my max ;)
_________________
Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum.

Ex member of Morbert Angel, Napalm Bert, Morbert Saint, Hobbs' Angel of Bert and guest vocals on Morbert Tales and Morbert Visions

Top
 Profile  
GTog
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:35 pm
Posts: 411
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:13 pm 
 

After one listen I'll know if I have something to say or not. Good or bad. Then it's just a matter of wanting to say it. I don't want to sound like an idiot, or a whiner. I just want to write a review that might be helpful to someone who reads it.

Top
 Profile  
jewk
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:53 pm
Posts: 30
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:35 pm 
 

MacMoney wrote:
The requirement is four. Four times. You have to listen to it four times before reviewing. If you listen to it any less, even if you skip a second of silence, it'll be rejected. No questions asked. So four.

Best comment ever. :lol:
_________________
No one, has ever wrote:
St. Anger is my favourite Metallica album!

Top
 Profile  
Megadeth
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 481
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:17 am 
 

Confirming that many people only listen once when giving bad reviews is not really a shock when reading some of them.

Often it seems like the reviewers are either disappointed based on expectations or hype, and rush to some judgement, or simply don't like the band and are just listening once to prove that their assumptions are correct.

I also get a feeling that many rate based on what others have rated, simply because they want to affect the overall score or to show how disappointed they are, and not how good the release is.

Top
 Profile  
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:36 pm
Posts: 2674
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:34 am 
 

That's a fairly bold assessment. It undoubtedly happens, but probably not to the frequency you believe, Megadeth. Granted, I'm with you about one-listen reviews being bad logic, but I'm sure at least the core foundation of veteran reviewers 'round this neck of the woods practice a deeper reviewing method than most.
_________________
Ismetal wrote:
GuntherTheUndying IS THE GAY NUMBER 1, HE DOESNT LIKE TO READ THE TRUTH, SO I THINK THIS PAGE IS FOR GAYS WHO WANTS TO READ MESSAGES LIKE "I LOVE MY BAND", "THEY ARE MY LOVE"

Thrashpit
Last FM

Top
 Profile  
John_Sunlight
President Satan

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 4806
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:03 pm 
 

I don't think the scores given are "political" in that sense. The moderation keeps out pretty much all counter-reviews.
_________________
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 20117
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:20 pm 
 

Generally it's not good to review based on only one listen, but honestly some albums you kinda can tell you will hate just based on one or two. Do I really need to spend a month lisening to the new Running Wild album to tell it sucks?
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Jaws: The Revenge

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 4449
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:30 pm 
 

3 is the magic number for me, unless the album is horrible. Then 3 is too much.

EDIT: Well shit, I've already been here, apparently.
_________________
Anime Reviews every two weeks!
Artwork once or twice a year!
M-A reviews every leap year!
Last.fm all day long!

Top
 Profile  
CrimsonFloyd
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 381
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:13 pm 
 

I like to listen 6-10 times depending on the density of the album. Some albums need even more listens. Really bad albums might need only 2-3 listens. I would say its virtually impossible to have anything worth sharing about an album after a single listen.

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 6430
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:32 am 
 

Usually only once or twice. Special cases come up like Agony by Fleshgod Apocalypse where I could not stop listening to the album long enough to review it so by the time I did review it I had listened to it I think 8 or 9 times, or the new Nile album where I intentionally listened to it a second time because I barely remembered anything about it after I listened to it the first time.
_________________
YouTube
Facebook
Sorrowseed Melodic Extreme Metal
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
VibrationsOfDoom
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:04 pm
Posts: 16
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:13 pm 
 

TEN... Ten listens at least, no matter what...

NOW... That being said, this isn't ten times in one day. I might listen to it twenty or thirty times over the course of three or four months... I do like to "let it go" for awhile, come back to it later on, maybe at different times of the day.

I look at it this way: the artist (or artists, bands, whatever) spent a lot of time (and probably money) to put together what he/she/they thought was the perfect album. And if you don't believe me, read some bands interviews! "Ah, man, this album, we cranked it out in the studio for six fuckin' weeks, had Dan Swano up our ass 24-7, rewrote some parts that were crap. This is the best album we've ever done, we got our blood, sweat and tears into it... Yadda yadda yadda." You all know you've read interviews like this... So I feel I'm doing the band a HUGE disservice if I just cranked out some quick tagline (which is why you almost NEVER see Vibrations Of Doom magazine in record label bios for bands.) The artists spent time and effort recording and writing the album; I feel the least I can do is give it the adequate time it deserves.

Some bands will tell you in interviews (shit, they tell ME this all the time) "Ah, I really don't give a fuck what people think; I make the kind of music I wanna make." And that's all well and good, but these same reviewers READ these reviews. I ask a lot of bands "Hey, where have you been reviewed at," and they can usually tell me where they got good and bad reviews at. So don't think they don't read their own reviews, or CARE. They DO... They just might try and be all bad-ass about it, but they DO care. No one wants to put out "their" music and have no one appreciate it. Why would they go to all that trouble; just for themselves?

Now there are, obviously exceptions to that rule, but overall, no one wants to read 100 bad reviews of their album. But we all know tastes are subjective, and even people I know who trust my reviews and love the same stuff I do are generally going to hate a band I love... It happens. If you can adequately tell me WHY you hate an album, I'll respect you for it. Besides, as long as I've been doing this, for every band you tell me you hate, I can find you AT LEAST 50 other bands you can't live without. And if you think I'm kidding, you haven't seen my music collection!

Top
 Profile  
Turner
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:04 am
Posts: 1397
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:44 am 
 

i like to write the review as i'm on my second listen. on the first listen i'll take notes, just vague shorthand stuff, and then on the second listen i'll write while it plays. that's if it's an album i haven't heard a million times before or something. i could write a (overwhelmingly positive) for far away from the sun without actually listening to it for weeks, i think. not that i'd go that long!

Top
 Profile  
Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:27 am
Posts: 1404
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:49 pm 
 

It depends on the album. Some I just get the whole album by 2nd listen, others I'm still getting into it on 10. When I feel I can accuately sum up the whole album really, can be between 2 and 20.
_________________
http://swirlsofnoise.wordpress.com/ Reviews and interviews, mostly ambient/drone and metal. Let me know if you want your stuff reviewed.

Top
 Profile  
Kveldulfr
Veteran

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 pm
Posts: 2760
Location: Nowhere
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:16 am 
 

Not a prolific or anytime good reviewer here but I listen no less than 5-6 times an album before making a judgement on it. Even for casual conversation I prefer to give my opinion once I've actually heard well something.

There are styles that are simpler so just a few listens are enough; more prog/avantgarde or heavily layered stuff require more sessions. Something like Solefald can't be properly reviewed with just 1 or 2 spins. A standard thrash metal album doesn't need more than 2 spins to me.
_________________
Forestfather in Facebook- Some sort of black metal.
Get Forestfather's new album 'Hereafter' here!
Kveldulf's various stuff in Soundcloud

Top
 Profile  
martinsane
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:18 pm
Posts: 39
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:30 am 
 

VibrationsOfDoom wrote:
TEN... Ten listens at least, no matter what...

NOW... That being said, this isn't ten times in one day. I might listen to it twenty or thirty times over the course of three or four months... I do like to "let it go" for awhile, come back to it later on, maybe at different times of the day.

I look at it this way: the artist (or artists, bands, whatever) spent a lot of time (and probably money) to put together what he/she/they thought was the perfect album. And if you don't believe me, read some bands interviews! "Ah, man, this album, we cranked it out in the studio for six fuckin' weeks, had Dan Swano up our ass 24-7, rewrote some parts that were crap. This is the best album we've ever done, we got our blood, sweat and tears into it... Yadda yadda yadda." You all know you've read interviews like this... So I feel I'm doing the band a HUGE disservice if I just cranked out some quick tagline (which is why you almost NEVER see Vibrations Of Doom magazine in record label bios for bands.) The artists spent time and effort recording and writing the album; I feel the least I can do is give it the adequate time it deserves.

Some bands will tell you in interviews (shit, they tell ME this all the time) "Ah, I really don't give a fuck what people think; I make the kind of music I wanna make." And that's all well and good, but these same reviewers READ these reviews. I ask a lot of bands "Hey, where have you been reviewed at," and they can usually tell me where they got good and bad reviews at. So don't think they don't read their own reviews, or CARE. They DO... They just might try and be all bad-ass about it, but they DO care. No one wants to put out "their" music and have no one appreciate it. Why would they go to all that trouble; just for themselves?

Now there are, obviously exceptions to that rule, but overall, no one wants to read 100 bad reviews of their album. But we all know tastes are subjective, and even people I know who trust my reviews and love the same stuff I do are generally going to hate a band I love... It happens. If you can adequately tell me WHY you hate an album, I'll respect you for it. Besides, as long as I've been doing this, for every band you tell me you hate, I can find you AT LEAST 50 other bands you can't live without. And if you think I'm kidding, you haven't seen my music collection!


Nicely put, I especially enjoyed the last two lines...

I too listen to the album I am reviewing many many times over a multi-monthed time period and I don't like to review out of my familiarity zone or the stuff I like. Why listen to and/or review something I already know I will hate or don't have a passion for? What good will that do for anyone.

I also find it important during that "listening" phase to learn about the band. Read the bio and such. Makes for a better, more rounded and well thought out review.

Top
 Profile  
bug_man
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 12:11 am
Posts: 377
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:09 pm 
 

i've listened to the cool albums over 10000 time, and i still haven't written a review

Top
 Profile  
joncheetham88
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 794
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:12 am 
 

Yeah, attempting to be conscientious in terms of how many times I listen to something before review is one reason labels/ bands rarely get reviews from promos they send me as quick as I'm sure they'd like. I don't necessarily feel like listening to an album multiple times in time for the release date even if it is interesting enough for me to cover at all. Too much like being in a hamster wheel, and prevents me from having week-long sessions of listening only to e.g. Amorphis like I'm doing at the moment. Honestly though, for shorter reviews (that I don't post here) I only listen a couple of times. That's more to give an idea and maybe keep the artists happy.

EDIT: Also, very much agree with what Empyreal said. There's no need to listen to something in full more than once or twice if you can instantly tell it is absolutely horrible - an ability most long time reviewers and listeners probably have if they have any kind of ability to differentiate. Or if it is one of the untold millions of bands that are "just OK" or "yet another band doing XYZ".
_________________
"I have been given the flesh of the sun to eat, and the milk of the moon to drink.
I have pressed through the long night and been reborn through the realms of dissolution."

http://baileysmmcreamy.blogspot.com

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Veteran

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2622
Location: At the bottom of the lake
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:52 pm 
 

Maybe a review challenge could focus on reviewing albums you've never heard, what the album looks like it sounds like.
_________________
TheStormIRide wrote:
Strange whistling vocals in human monster? Color me intrigued.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 20117
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:36 am 
 

joncheetham88 wrote:
Yeah, attempting to be conscientious in terms of how many times I listen to something before review is one reason labels/ bands rarely get reviews from promos they send me as quick as I'm sure they'd like. I don't necessarily feel like listening to an album multiple times in time for the release date even if it is interesting enough for me to cover at all. Too much like being in a hamster wheel, and prevents me from having week-long sessions of listening only to e.g. Amorphis like I'm doing at the moment. Honestly though, for shorter reviews (that I don't post here) I only listen a couple of times. That's more to give an idea and maybe keep the artists happy.

EDIT: Also, very much agree with what Empyreal said. There's no need to listen to something in full more than once or twice if you can instantly tell it is absolutely horrible - an ability most long time reviewers and listeners probably have if they have any kind of ability to differentiate. Or if it is one of the untold millions of bands that are "just OK" or "yet another band doing XYZ".


Yeah, I fucking hate reviewing promo material and stuff people send me. I used to do that for Metalcrypt and I just never got into it - the reviews I did were always substandard because I didn't really care about the albums. These days I just review whatever I want, and it gives me more time to write better stuff. Some people are great with promos; me, I never really caught the habit.

And yup to the second point...some albums you do need to give time, but if you're listening to something and just know "this isn't for me" after enough listening, there's a good gamble it isn't ever going to grow on you. Don't need seven listens to a latter-day In Flames album to know it sucks, for example.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Jaws: The Revenge

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 4449
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:41 pm 
 

Dammit all, I was about to answer the OP's question for what would have been the third time! I don't remember what I've posted and where, yo!

But I was gonna answer 3-4 times this time, which apparently means my standard is increasing with time.
_________________
Anime Reviews every two weeks!
Artwork once or twice a year!
M-A reviews every leap year!
Last.fm all day long!

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group