Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Arise212
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:11 pm 

When we read reviews for albums, there should be a comment section under each review posted. This may have been suggested before, if not, I dont know why.

I would LOVE for comments to be allowed on album reviews. I really think it would make this site more fun and entertaining. There have been quite a few album reviews that I have either agreed with or disagreed with that I wish I could comment on.

If there was a section under an album review where you could read/post comments about each review that would be amazing. Please consider it.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:18 pm 

Probably not going to happen. You can always use this sub-forum for this purpose, though.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:43 pm 

I don't really want to deal with the moderation of these comments (and we all know some shitfests will happen) and I doubt the other mods would like to do it too.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

SortaShooter
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:03 pm 

A "like" system a la Facebook would be kinda neat though. I remember way back in the past some suggestions that a "review reviewing" system be employed to change the weighting of various reviews or flag them as oven fodder, but few people would be able to set taste aside and use it properly. Just having "likes" would be a nice incentive/reward for reviewers though, and the fact every review is moderated would largely negate the kind of "like-whoring" that goes on at other sites.

My blog, about songs I reckon you'll hate: http://perfectpopsingles.wordpress.com

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:17 pm 

Yeah, don't you hate UltraBoris too? Why isn't he responding? Folks need to find their way to the review discussion thread, which moves very slowly...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7444&start=4480

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:52 pm 

Review comments and a like system are both horrible ideas. Comments bring out the thin inner skin in many and reviewing is its own reward. If you want to talk about the reviews, talk about them here on the forum.

SortaShooter
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:26 pm 

The reviews forum is, and pretty much has always been, populated by about a dozen users, most of whom are the same people who write the bulk of the reviews. I would not be surprised if most of them showed up here for the first time just hoping to see some response to their most recent piece. It's nice to be recognized as a "top reviewer" by your peers, but you see no value in a more public apparatus, where the wider audience of Metal-Archives readers (the thousands vs. the dozen) can show their appreciation for your work?

My blog, about songs I reckon you'll hate: http://perfectpopsingles.wordpress.com

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:33 pm 

What is more public than a forum?

A better idea is to put a link to the forum on reviews. A "discuss this" button that links to the review subforum. This gives everyone what they ultimately want (more discussion of the reviews) without adding anything that'll make the site look tacky and add internet drama (likes, dislikes, comment sections).

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm 

That's the most reasonable idea yet.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:37 pm 

I think that's a good idea and this will make this forum more active.

SortaShooter
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:42 pm 

I could certainly get behind that. I also wonder if it might not make sense to once again allow people to make individual threads to discuss specific reviews. Confining all discussion to the "review discussion thread" makes the board look dead, and it's difficult to conduct parallel discussions about reviews in one linear thread. Usually it seems a review will get shouted out, someone will agree, and then there will be three pages of arguing with Noktorn or bitching about the latest crap reviewer to make seventy reviews in a two week span.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:05 pm 

Hellblazer doesn't like the idea much, we'll see if there's a way to do something along those lines.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:39 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Hellblazer doesn't like the idea much, we'll see if there's a way to do something along those lines.

The door is locked for a reason! If you leave it open, riff raff will wander in off the streets.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:54 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
What is more public than a forum?

A better idea is to put a link to the forum on reviews. A "discuss this" button that links to the review subforum. This gives everyone what they ultimately want (more discussion of the reviews) without adding anything that'll make the site look tacky and add internet drama (likes, dislikes, comment sections).

Definitely a cool idea, John. It'd be nice to see some new life in the review subforum.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:51 pm 

I thought that the Reviews Discussion was the place to comment on reviews.

SortaShooter
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:00 pm 

HouseSpiders wrote:
I thought that the Reviews Discussion was the place to comment on reviews.

We've covered that bit.

Problem:

SortaShooter wrote:
The reviews forum is, and pretty much has always been, populated by about a dozen users, most of whom are the same people who write the bulk of the reviews.

Potential solution:

John_Sunlight wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:01 am 

Posting comments on them like Facebook/Youtube is one of the worst things you could do to the site; I am very much against it. It wouldn't invite any real discussion, only worthless one-liner comments or bitching about personal opinions. I think most of the users who WOULD discuss the reviews meaningfully would still do it on the forum, where a greater sense of space can usually be found. You'd get a lot of anonymous users just coming out of the woodwork to post derogatory comments and bitching only to disappear right after and not contribute anything useful.

DodensGrav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:05 am 

The only way the Facebook/Youtube style could even conceivably work would be if the comments had to be approved before they appeared, but that's a burden no man deserves.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:13 am 

Yeah it's something that would be good in an idealic world where people weren't dicks, but I admit there are occasions where I myself would probably just comment with "Fuck you, you are an idiot", and I'd like to think I'd approach it with more care than many haha. I like John_Sunlight's suggestion of a link to here though.

Reply to topic