Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:00 am 

I wanna go. Prohibitively expensive is about right, but I don't fault the bands for taking part in this. It would be really fun for them too, sorry if your favorite musicians don't stay up late at night trying to think of ways to make it so even street urchins can afford to get tickets to every concert they do ever. Gentrification of metal? Sure, if you say so. It's a lot of older bands on here who've never had the chance to do something like this, except Sodom who seem to be doing a lot of these cruise things. You know when you get older and you want to enjoy the things you were never able to do when you were younger? I think a lot of the artists are feeling that more than feeling contemptuous of lower class metal fans.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:58 pm 

I love it when metal fans get philosophical and self-righteous about stuff like this.

Yes, it's freakin' expensive. But lodging and meals are included with the price. I live in Springfield, MA, and if I wanted to go to, say, Maryland Death Fest, I have to pay for the ticket, hotel room, and food separately. If I wanted to go to Bloodstock or Wacken, I also need an overseas plane ticket. That might all still be cheaper than Barge to Hell, but not outrageously so. You also have to account for the fact that Barge to Hell is five days long, compared to four for MDF and 3 for Wacken.

When it comes down to it, most festivals are prohibitively expensive. Yes, the fact that this one is on a boat makes it more expensive than others, but is there really a huge difference?

MetalHeadNorm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm 

Veracs wrote:
A lot of people will be wasting their money to see hasbeens... like Enslaved.

Has-beens like Enslaved? You sir, can go fuck yourself.

What do you mean by that? How quickly I reply?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:53 pm 

Scourge441 wrote:
When it comes down to it, most festivals are prohibitively expensive. Yes, the fact that this one is on a boat makes it more expensive than others, but is there really a huge difference?

Yeah, it's on a boat. You can't bunk with friends, you can't pool resources, you can't in any way find a more convenient way of doing anything.

Wolfgong
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:16 pm 

It's a well known fact that many males at sea on or about the third day will expirience their first homosexual encounter, after that it's full on sailor love seaman lifestyle.

Pirates know all about this. Walking the plank was not to punish, it was actually shame and suicide. Eventually they had no planks on the ships cause too many were using it.

The Barge to hell is expensive perhaps, but think of all the new comrades you will make on that third day.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:00 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
A private show for presumably friends and associates is a bit different than this. Were the invites advertised on the biggest websites they could find, available for any stranger who could pony up, cost thousands of dollars and require taking vacation for half the work week?

Isn't that theoretically true for any metal show or event?

It looks like I was thinking of the first Gathering of Shadows. Best I can still tell it requires a email invitation request, but they offer promotional facebook pages and send out pressers. Cute!

Quote:
The phrase was used before, "prohibitively expensive". It is prohibitively expensive for the vast majority of people who have loved and supported these artists and their efforts for as long as they've been in the public sphere putting out their creative works. It does say something about their philosophy when they're ready to hop on board an event that, by it's nature, disallows even the possibility of participation for that same vast majority.

Like someone else said, depending on your geographical location, this isn't any less expensive than going to Maryland. Yeah, you can go on Couchsurfing.com and find a place to crash and eat out of trash cans with the crusties all weekend, but that may not appeal to your average suburbanite white kid metal fan who doesn't generally do that sort of thing out of necessity. On the other hand, you and 3 friends can book an inside cabin on a cruise ship where they'll feed you 24/7 and take you to exotic locations for cheaper than a lot of people live day to day. Or if you go with someone who doesn't give a damn about metal, well, its a cruise ship. They can probably find entertainment. So I see how it could work theoretically. I still find it weird as hell, but hey, it seems to appeal to someone.

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:19 pm 

Being poor sucks :nono:

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

Wolfgong
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:49 pm 

NARAKU666 wrote:
Being poor sucks :nono:

Being poor with expensive tastes sucks. I think you mean.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:42 am 

Interesting parity: http://www.alternet.org/story/155774/is ... _festival/

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:19 pm 

The "chefs as new rock stars" is something I think the foodie culture wants to make happen, whether subconsciously or consciously, to validate the media around food. In many ways, I can see the argument, but I don't see there being any sort of unique connection today between expensive food and music. I seriously doubt Mick Jagger was eating at IHOP in 1970.

Glentxa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:24 am 

Wolfgong wrote:
It's a well known fact that many males at sea on or about the third day will expirience their first homosexual encounter, after that it's full on sailor love seaman lifestyle.

:lol:

ForbiddenThoughts
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:54 pm 

Erisgaroth wrote:
Wow, it is really really expensive, i don't have so much money for something like that. But the line-up is incredible, kinda surprised to see Sanctuary there.

yeah, and COC....

Rusted and Rotting
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:49 pm 

MetalHeadNorm wrote:
Veracs wrote:
A lot of people will be wasting their money to see hasbeens... like Enslaved.

Has-beens like Enslaved? You sir, can go fuck yourself.

Seconded.
"I am drunk as fuck, driving around town drunk, I'm on dope, and I want you to call the police. Not only that, but I got a loaded hand gun right here. I'm gonna start firing this off. So please call the cops." --Ricky, "Trailer Park Boys"

adrenalin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:24 pm 

Definitely a great lineup for this one compared to the cheesy bands they have booked for the 70,000 Tons of Metal cruise. Dragonforce? Tankard? Kamelot? Really?! And if anyone has traveled the world or taken a cruise, the prices are pretty reasonable considering the number of bands they have to pay (fees + travel expenses), amount of staff they require, fuel, operating costs, etc. Plus, all those bands have to have rooms, so that's that many less rooms they have to book. I've traveled to places like London where the exchange rate is insane, so you just have to know how to budget your money to last the whole trip. Also, bring your own booze in your luggage if you have to! 4 - 5 bottles of vodka wrapped up in your clothes should last you! haha!

leatherbelt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:05 pm 

THE LINE UP SUCKS!!

AT LEAST LAMB OF GOD WONT BE THERE THOUGH.

HAHAHHA!!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:07 pm 

leatherbelt wrote:
THE LINE UP SUCKS!!

HAHAHHA!!

It sucks cause Von it's not there, huh?

leatherbelt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:11 pm 

VON ARE THE BEST TROLLS EVER!

Carpathianchrist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:16 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
leatherbelt wrote:
THE LINE UP SUCKS!!

HAHAHHA!!

It sucks cause Von it's not there, huh?

:lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2