Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:49 pm 

I remember reading an interview with him on Braindead zine where he said he could play the drums, but I dunno whether or not he mentioned playing on the records.

Say, are you much of a Violent Gorge fan? I got their split with Dispepsiaa in the mail the other day, and I quite enjoyed it. They have this Agathocles (big surprise, I know) meets Autopsy kind of vibe going on that recording, pretty cool. Not sure what else to get by them. And speaking of Violent Gorge, I just got around to listening to Archagathus' 'Canadian Horse'...shit rules!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:15 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
I remember reading an interview with him on Braindead zine where he said he could play the drums, but I dunno whether or not he mentioned playing on the records.

Say, are you much of a Violent Gorge fan? I got their split with Dispepsiaa in the mail the other day, and I quite enjoyed it. They have this Agathocles (big surprise, I know) meets Autopsy kind of vibe going on that recording, pretty cool. Not sure what else to get by them. And speaking of Violent Gorge, I just got around to listening to Archagathus' 'Canadian Horse'...shit rules!

Violent Gorge rules so hard.

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:45 am 

I'm trying to remember a band that was reccomended on this thread a while back... it was grindcore with some symphonic elements? Or, rather, I remember it being really catchy. It was a one-man band and from the US... (that narrows it down, now doesn't it? /sarcasm)

Thanks in advanced!

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:00 am 

Liberteer?

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:47 am 

Hi guys, I'm looking for some grindcore EP's like Fear by Dead In The Dirt. Got anything like that? Thanks. :-P

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:27 pm 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
Liberteer?

That's it. Thank you!

bensabre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:41 am 

IntoNevermore wrote:
Hi guys, I'm looking for some grindcore EP's like Fear by Dead In The Dirt. Got anything like that? Thanks. :-P

i think you may like
gaza
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8e0dv9k ... re=related

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:55 am 

bensabre wrote:
IntoNevermore wrote:

i think you may like
gaza
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8e0dv9k ... re=related

Thanks I'll check them out. :thumbsup:

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:33 am 

IntoNevermore wrote:

Not necessarily grindcore, but I think you would dig Dephosphorous' "Axiom" EP, if you haven't already given it a shot. Some cool crust with grindy moments, and a cool use of layering that you don't hear much in this style of music. I put off listening to this band because their whole aesthetic gave off an ugly "Southern Lord hipster" vibe, but it's actually a pretty cool little EP. Another band to try is Young and In The Way, but aside from the first song on their second-to-latest release (which sounds more like a nightmarish reinterpretation of an old Joy Division song) I myself couldn't really get into them. Not to mention they're aren't a grind band but it seems there may be something about this band that you would get into.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:08 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
IntoNevermore wrote:

Not necessarily grindcore, but I think you would dig Dephosphorous' "Axiom" EP, if you haven't already given it a shot. Some cool crust with grindy moments, and a cool use of layering that you don't hear much in this style of music. I put off listening to this band because their whole aesthetic gave off an ugly "Southern Lord hipster" vibe, but it's actually a pretty cool little EP. Another band to try is Young and In The Way, but aside from the first song on their second-to-latest release (which sounds more like a nightmarish reinterpretation of an old Joy Division song) I myself couldn't really get into them. Not to mention they're aren't a grind band but it seems there may be something about this band that you would get into.

I really apreciate the effort you made for those recs man, just downloaded Dephosphorus EP and will listen to it, also, Young and in the way seems interesting, will give them a chance, thanks. :wink:

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:51 am 

Not sure how many of you are into Gridlink, but judging by the band's latest Facebook update they might be working on a new album. I've enjoyed both that they've put out thus far, so this is cool news for me.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:33 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Not sure how many of you are into Gridlink, but judging by the band's latest Facebook update they might be working on a new album. I've enjoyed both that they've put out thus far, so this is cool news for me.

Shouldn't take them too long to gather another 12 minutes of music! :D

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:34 am 

androdion wrote:
Dragunov wrote:

The real delay will be coming up with a new reason to justify charging full album price for it.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:46 am 

androdion wrote:
Dragunov wrote:

Wow, just listened to "Orphan" and I'm already a fan, thanks for bringing this up. :-P

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:20 pm 

Zero_Nowhere wrote:
androdion wrote:

The real delay will be coming up with a new reason to justify charging full album price for it.

Haha, agreed on both parts. I don't understand why they can't release the albums on a 7"...though at the end of the day I usually end up enjoying the music enough to want to pay for a physical copy. Oh well.

Does anybody have a copy of White Eyes Beastmode they would like to part ways with? I can't find that album anywhere outside of Blastasfuk and TLAL, but TLAL's webstore is down for who knows how long and Blastasfuk is a little out of my budget at the moment. The samples of songs I've heard from it are just what I'm looking for at the moment, which is pretty much The Inalienable Dreamless worship taken to the next level.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:33 pm 

Another question: anyone know where I can get a copy of the Internal Rot 7"? This shit rips fucking HARD, but I can't find it anywhere. Also, if you like Excruciating Terror and haven't heard this yet, DO IT.

EDIT: Nevermind, may have found a distro that has it. Regardless, check this 7" out if you haven't. I know I'm probably late to the game, but I'm glad I finally got a chance to hear it.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:59 am 

Dragunov wrote:

Definitely a violent gorge fan and dispesiaa's side of that split is a ripper as well! I'd definitely also recommend their split with Agathocles that TLAL put out and the 4 way split they did with Lt. Dan, Satan, and Pizza Hi Five. I finally picked up a copy of Canadian Horse when we were in new york on tour actually, such a rad band.

As for the TLAL webstore, i guess Will is doing a trade with RSR and then it'll be back up. If I see it's up I'll post on here.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:50 pm 

Yes indeed! I saw those splits up on TLAL's store last time I made an order, I'll have to grab them next time Will opens back up. And yes, Canadian Horse is fucking awesome! And the cover art makes it even better, haha.

I have an account over on the TLAL boards, but I've made like two posts and have just been lurking ever since. Seems like a pretty tight knit community over there, and their tastes are pretty spot-on with mine so I just read what they have to say about new jams and shit. Maybe I should post more.

You're from Atlanta, right? My band is heading out on tour on the first of August, and were wondering where would be a cool place to play there other than Lenny's Bar or this one bar in Little Five Point whose name escapes me at the moment (right around the corner from that big pizza joint with the pinball machines...if that helps :lol:). Or maybe if Spewtilator wanted to do a show with us out there or here in Jackson, MS at some point. There's a cool DIY venue downtown here called The Carter, I think y'all would do well there. Especially if it's a Friday or Saturday night show.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:57 pm 

You should definitely post more on TLAL! and also check out Archagathus' Coffee Grinder LP that Bringer of Gore put out!!

Lenny's is gone now but there's a few spots around Atlanta that are worth playing. If you guys want some help booking something just let me know what date you wanna hit Atlanta and link me to some music and I'll take care of it. We already have a couple spew shows in the works for august so i'm not sure if we could play depending on the date but either way I'll def give you a hand getting something booked and finding locals etc.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:57 pm 

I'll have to add Coffee Grinder to my "to-get" list. TLAL is gonna take all my money once the store is back up!

Ah yeah I remember hearing Lenny's went under. The other bar we played at had some 3 or 4 digit number in their name I think. I think y'all have played there, I remember seeing a flyer outside from one of y'all's past shows. Anyways, that would be awesome, I'll have to get up with you whenever we're in town. And if you guys ever want to come to Jackson, or you have an off night nearby on your next tour, hit me up and I could probably get you a show.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:07 pm 

Cool man! I'm betting it was 529 that you played, what's the name of your band again? I think we might try to head west/north west on our next outing so I may take you up on that!!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:34 pm 

That's it! Our band name is Coffin Breath, we play a sort of metallic hardcore for the most part. And yeah man, if you guys happen to be rolling through Mississippi at any point, hit me up and I'll see if I can get Spew a show if y'all don't already have one booked. Most likely it'll be at this dive bar called Sam's Lounge, which usually has great turnouts on weekends.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:18 am 

So I'm not all too familiar with grind but I've been wanting to hear more like
Morticians first album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKGGyJPtYgs
Exhumed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuPImJPE4g0
and this Megadeth cover from Ghoul http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpHcrp2wuMk
Also Kill the Clients "America... Sold!" really hits the spot but they don't have it... anywhere for some reason,
but heres a song from them anyway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z3F1N2C ... re=related
I want to hear a Death/Grind sound that has very Thrash leanings but unlike some of the stuff I have here still has very Grindcore roots.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:44 am 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
Also Kill the Clients "America... Sold!" really hits the spot but they don't have it... anywhere for some reason,
but heres a song from them anyway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z3F1N2C ... re=related
I want to hear a Death/Grind sound that has very Thrash leanings but unlike some of the stuff I have here still has very Grindcore roots.

Have you tried Phobia? It might suit your taste. And is Carcass too obvious?!

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:26 pm 

TheEvilSocky wrote:

If you want more gore stuff like Moritician and Exhumed check out Haemorrhage, Dead Infection, General Surgery, Impaled, Pathologist, Necrony, County Medical Examiners, Regurgitate.

untappd: patrick_g

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:47 pm 

Carcass is isn't fast enough for my taste but I'll check out the others, thanks.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:20 pm 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
Carcass is isn't fast enough for my taste but I'll check out the others, thanks.

Have you heard Symphonies Of Sickness before? It's pretty much the staple for Exhumed's brutality.

Seconding Haemorrhage, Dead Infection and Impaled, although I haven't recommended the later because they're much more death metal oriented.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:03 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
That's it! Our band name is Coffin Breath, we play a sort of metallic hardcore for the most part. And yeah man, if you guys happen to be rolling through Mississippi at any point, hit me up and I'll see if I can get Spew a show if y'all don't already have one booked. Most likely it'll be at this dive bar called Sam's Lounge, which usually has great turnouts on weekends.

someone drop me a line, I might make the time to drive on up there to hang.

Orthodox Caveman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:40 am 

TheEvilSocky wrote:

Insect Warfare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVb9WrUfasY

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:25 pm 

Insect Warfare is a bit of a stretch...but EvilSocky, if you enjoy IW I highly recommend you also give Death Toll 80K a shot.

Also, I just saw on Blastasfuk's blog that The Kill has a bunch of new jams coming out soon, including a full-length album(!!!). Super stoked.

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:33 am 

Thrashy death/grind.... sounds a lot like you'd enjoy Population Reduction, assuming a tongue in cheek approach doesn't faze you.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:39 pm 

TheEvilSocky wrote:

FRIGHTMARE's Midnight Murder Mania. equal parts thrash/grind/ death metal. maniac neil's best effort. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8F-UovoChM

Looking for an Answer's Eterno Treblinka is one of the best death infused grindcore lps I've heard in awhile.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6GNy3zgb8Q

in fact, check out the big guns of Spain's scene: Machetazo, Haemorrhage, and even Nashgul (just cuaght them twice here in NYC, a lot of fun live).

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:43 pm 

Nashgul's split they did with P.L.F. is pretty cool.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:48 pm 

Oh, FleshMonolith, your blog is awesome.

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:03 am 

any good grindcore bands except like Napalm Death?
i like Harmony Corruption album so if there any good like old or new school bands that i can give a listen let me know, i want to expand my knowlege on grindcore genre

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:12 am 

Mechanix11 wrote:
any good grindcore bands except like Napalm Death?
i like Harmony Corruption album so if there any good like old or new school bands that i can give a listen let me know, i want to expand my knowlege on grindcore genre

Harmony Corruption is a death metal album but if you want grindcore like their first 2 albums check out Nasum.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:42 am 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
Harmony Corruption is a death metal album but if you want grindcore like their first 2 albums check out Nasum.

Nasum sounds absolutely nothing like Scum or FETO, in either their early or later output. If you want something that sounds like old Napalm Death, go for Sore Throat, old Extreme Noise Terror, Excruciating Terror, Warsore...blah blah blah

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:48 am 

Dragunov wrote:
thrashmaniac87 wrote:

Nasum sounds absolutely nothing like Scum or FETO, in either their early or later output. If you want something that sounds like old Napalm Death, go for Sore Throat, old Extreme Noise Terror, Excruciating Terror, Warsore...blah blah blah

Haha I was thinking the same thing but was too lazy to type it.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:42 am 

Dragunov wrote:
thrashmaniac87 wrote:

Sore Throat either made noise or crust punk and they hated Napalm Death, ENT was much more crust punk than grindcore, and warsore is really noisey. I never said Nasum sounded exacly like old Napalm Death but they made extremely fast, short grindcore songs similar to ND.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:53 pm 

You can't tell me Disgrace To The Corpse of Sid or anything they did prior doesn't bear any resemblance to early Napalm Death. Extreme Noise Terror's stuff they were doing on Holocaust In Your Head and the Peel Sessions was very similar to the stuff ND was doing on Scum, minus the fully established blasting; it sounds even more similar to demo-era ND. Warsore was noisy...so was Napalm Death dude, I don't see what you're getting at there.

All that aside, I'm really into Inhale/Exhale and the stuff you could say was similar to early ND, but there are better choices out there. Nasum did a lot more tremolo riffing, and even in their punkier moments they still kinda sounded like a death metal band.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 102  Next