Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MadMetalMachine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:01 am 

Amethyst from UK should be nukked.I just bought original single and it's far away from Heavy Metal or too late for NWOBHM.It's melodic and very comercial by M-A rules.As I'm against download issues you'll better believe a word or M-A will stay with Hard Rock band :D.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:39 am 

I honestly don't think the mods are just going to take your word for it when it comes to deleting bands...at the very least, it'd set a bad example for other users, and at the worst, it'd result in tons of bands with no online music being ripe for deletion if the user nominating them has beef with the band in question.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:47 am 

MadMetalMachine wrote:
Amethyst from UK should be nukked.I just bought original single and it's far away from Heavy Metal or too late for NWOBHM.It's melodic and very comercial by M-A rules.As I'm against download issues you'll better believe a word or M-A will stay with Hard Rock band :D.

You seriously, seriously think we're just going to blindly delete a band simply because you tell us it's not metal? :rolleyes: Either give us substance to back up that claim, or live with it.

You can always rip and upload the single to send to a moderator via PM if you're scrupulous about file-sharing.

MadMetalMachine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:07 am 

Alhadis wrote:
You seriously, seriously think we're just going to blindly delete a band simply because you tell us it's not metal? :rolleyes: Either give us substance to back up that claim, or live with it.

You can always rip and upload the single to send to a moderator via PM if you're scrupulous about file-sharing.

OK. It's up to you.But I will laugh every time when I see bands with early BON JOVI sound on Metal-Archives.It's not my job to convert vinyl to mp3.It's your job not to accept bands like this.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:25 am 

MadMetalMachine wrote:
It's your job not to accept bands like this.

You know, it's also my job not to go accepting/deleting bands without knowing exactly what it is I'm accepting or deleting. I can't just trust your word exactly the same as I can't trust the words of a veteran user who tries submitting a band with claims "Yeah, it's metal enough". We ask for song samples for a reason, save for more obscure bands (in which case we try to go by a description mentioned in a distro, an old magazine, or a review). Of course, it's difficult to know what grounds Amethyst were accepted on, since they were admitted to the site way back in 2004, when our standards were a lot more easy-going than now. But that still doesn't mean I can blindly nuke a band because a user said "this isn't metal enough".

Sure, Amethyst might be as metal as ABBA, but hey, unless I've a sound sample to prove it, I can't act without proper evidence.

But hey, if you can't (or won't) provide a rip, the least you can do for the site is fill in any missing band info you can scrounge from the LP's sleeve. :p

MadMetalMachine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:50 am 

First this single comes without PS so there's just simple info as it is.Second.I do not have any right to make an mp3 from record I own,because of (C).Third.I'm an 40 y.o and I hate mp3s.And the last but not least.i just sent Warning and it's up to you believe to it or not to.My job is done.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:02 am 

I don't know how strict copyright laws are over in Lithuania, but I can tell nobody's going to be calling the internet police on you for ripping and e-mailing to somebody a recording of a 25-year old vinyl released on an obscure (likely long-dead) record label.

As for being 40-years old and hating Mp3s... okay, that's probably one of the finest justifications for being ill-motivated I've ever heard. :D Good job.

So, in conclusion, the next time you want to report a band for deletion, please bring some evidence to back up what you're saying.

~Guest 290927
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:34 am 

Since my report of MyonMyon eight days got ignored, I assume that the mods are seriously considering accepting metal bands covering Touhou music as an "exceptional exception". I personally uphold this idea, but I would like to hear the official opinion on this. Cause there are a couple more such bands on the archives, many needs some update, but I would not do it in case I am labeled as a point whore. Also, if the site accepts Touhou covering bands, there are more (excellent) bands to be added.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:04 pm 

Snow Listener wrote:
Since my report of MyonMyon eight days got ignored, I assume that the mods are seriously considering accepting metal bands covering Touhou music as an "exceptional exception".

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Not only are cover bands wholly condemned (for lack of a better word at the moment) by the website, but to be honest, on this site, a lack of immediate action usually doesn't mean that a consensus has already been reached.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:16 pm 

What we care about in accepting projects is that a project has at least one physically released album that is predominantly metal (particularly in its riffs) and contains mostly original material. Of course there are exceptions (non-metal and side-projects, for sure), and caveats (no bands that just do covers, no bands based on ridiculous unoriginal gimmicks), but those go without saying... in large part because the original stance still holds. When I have some time I'll take a closer look at MyonMyon, but if that project has one album that fits those requirements given above, then it is acceptable. This has nothing to do with how we might feel about Touhou.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:33 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
since they were admitted to the site way back in 2004, when our standards were a lot more easy-going than now.

No they weren't. Not about "metalness" anyway. We don't accept rock bands now and we didn't accept rock bands then.

That said, no, we're not gonna delete a band that's been listed for 8 years just because a single user tells us, without a shred of evidence, that they aren't metal. That'd be ridiculously irrational and counter-productive. Also, get over yourself, M3. :rolleyes:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 290927
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:16 pm 

List of cover bands (possibly incomplete): These bands have no albums of their own.
Bloody Sword ~ Evidence
Dark Phoenix ~ Evidence
MyonMyon ~ Evidence
Stratiotes ~ Evidence (The official site also lists 3 tracks of original composition, but these tracks are either from compilation albums or for download only.)
Electric Red ~ Evidence (This site does not mention two releases: "God Forsaken" and "大空魔術~Magical Astronomy". Both have one track each. The former is a cover of "Suwa Foughten Field", a track from Touhou-10 Mountain of Faith. The later is from the Touhou album "大空魔術".)
Kissing the Mirror (This one is a bit annoying. Some evidence is here. For the albums not listed, I have gone through them one by one, and confirmed that everyone is a cover.)

Bands that predominantly cover Touhou music, but with at least one original album. In this case, some explanatory words should be put in the additional notes.
Iron Attack! (The s/t album is original. Most other albums are Touhou covers.)
UI-70 (Most releases are covers of Touhou and anime music. "Le Crepuscule Du Soir" is an original album.)

Also South of Heaven should be removed. This is not a band, but a label! On this page, the first line says "South of Heaven is the private label of the recording engineer and songwriter Ikuto from Ciffon Label." In the products page, you can see the list of releases. Apart from releasing albums from other artists (e.g. 姫騎士オフライン, Ominae), it also released at least 16 Touhou cover albums. On some websites, the Touhou cover albums are credited to South of Heaven, but it is indeed not a band, and Ikuto is not the sole member. He only serves as a programming artist. For example, look at the credits of 東方デュアルレクチ. (I was tricked by the info on MA and added several albums from the label before I saw the mistake. Sorry about that.)

Ziotopanga
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:21 pm 

Check out for Mirrormaze :

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Mir ... 3540345618

They haven't a physical release at the moment, their album is coming up on the 28th of May

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:29 pm 

Ziotopanga wrote:
Check out for Mirrormaze :

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Mir ... 3540345618

They haven't a physical release at the moment, their album is coming up on the 28th of May

Deleted.

bladesOFawesomeness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:33 am 

You people should probably check ''Jughead'' out.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:26 pm 

bladesOFawesomeness wrote:

It's here as an acceptable side project. The genre tag looks strange though.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:38 pm 

Helvede wrote:
bladesOFawesomeness wrote:

It's here as an acceptable side project. The genre tag looks strange though.

I've changed it to "Alternative Rock".

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:28 am 

Deleted Frantic Tormentor. No physical release.

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:40 am 

Hi,

I know that a report was made about this in February, but I've been bidden to bring up Forgotten Hopes. I've been told (I'm not good at identifying this myself, especially at 2:30 AM) that their only proof of physical release looks doctored. It can be found here.

As far as I've been able to find, there is no other mention of a physical release. I've contacted the band, but haven't received a response as of yet. I honestly couldn't say, but if somebody thinks that this is sufficient reason to delete them, then that's fine.

paettie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:55 am 

Why is Isiphilon accepted?
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Isiphilon/64662
Here they are labeled as "Gothic Metal", but they are certainly not.
Their song all sound like that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p_yMgBXUNc
It is Darkwave / Ethereal.

Aenima (the follow-up-band) isn't accepted, but they are a lot "more metal".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CJGgIyR1jQ
(Though I agree Aenima isn't "enough metal")

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:02 am 

Deleted Isiphilon.

Ur_Quan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:22 pm 

Hexvessel is a psychedelic folk side-project.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:15 pm 

Exactly.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:30 pm 

I'll look into Hexvessel shortly.

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:17 pm 

Got an update from Forgotten Hopes (typing it in regular capitalization as to make it less painful to read):

"The first album is available on the internet for free. And the second album it will be available this Summer \\m//"

So, yes, they should probably be deleted, at least for the time being.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:49 pm 

Forgotten Hopes is removed for now. Good sleuthing!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:20 am 

Hey Derigin. You were the one who talked about stricter standards for side-projects in the chatroom, so isn't it about time to finally kill Uruk-Hai? In my opinion they should have been removed long ago because I have yet to find a release of theirs that was released by a label with worldwide distribution, but I was overruled by the staff every time I brought them up. Maybe they can be reconsidered at this point? I'd like to hear your input.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:31 pm 

The Last Shot of War:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/The ... 3540304681

This is similar to early Carnifex/Suicide Silence in that it's riffless, very chuggy, breakdowns-strung-on-more-breakdowns slam/deathcore; certainly not metal enough for the site.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us_Rh4PUZlA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuXNS9W05OY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-s53jpzVqQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNr8ywXMxSk

EDIT: On a similar note: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Str ... 3540325730

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZvwXqrKZDw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpiITGBpuD0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbpzoMAd_xw

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:47 pm 

Both removed.

We'll look into Uruk-hai, drone.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:48 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Hey Derigin. You were the one who talked about stricter standards for side-projects in the chatroom, so isn't it about time to finally kill Uruk-Hai? In my opinion they should have been removed long ago because I have yet to find a release of theirs that was released by a label with worldwide distribution, but I was overruled by the staff every time I brought them up. Maybe they can be reconsidered at this point? I'd like to hear your input.

Off the top of my head, their split with Forgotten Land, Nachtkrieg, was released and is available by Dungeons Deep Records. This album is also available through Mercenary Musik, who are the only other place that I'm aware of having DDR stuff, and also have Dragons of War, Tawantinsuy, and their split with Vinterriket.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:43 pm 

I've never heard of Dungeons Deep Records. They distribute worldwide?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:05 pm 

Keep in mind that, while world-wide distribution and other guidelines are considerations we take into account, they do not automatically decide whether a non-metal side-project will or will not be added to or removed from the site. Increased weight is also placed on notability, listenership, and fit within the metal scene. While the latter are more arbitrary, they require a more insightful and transparent dialogue between deciders on acceptability and unacceptability. A more open process for dealing with side-projects.

Uruk-Hai hasn't been brought up yet, so while it's certainly alright to pick apart the project on the worldwide distribution bit, it's not the only factor we consider in our deliberations.

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:08 pm 

I doubt Uruk-Hai will ever release anything on major label. Yet I remember he was going to release metal album a while ago, I've even heard some rough samples without vocals, which were definitely metal, but I have no idea how the album should have been called and if it has already been released. Is there anyone familiar with his discography who can tell if he by any chance has some metal releases?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:41 pm 

It was this compilation, and I've been told it contains far more ambient tracks then metal tracks.

~Guest 152635
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:31 pm 

Who told you that? I've found all but a few of the songs and it is mostly metal EDIT: Maybe I found the wrong versions of songs or something based on what uglur said later, I am sorry... But there are other metal releases... A lot of summoning worship

Here is a metal one:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ur ... rrn/276607
http://depositfiles.com/files/c45djprkj

Here is another:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ur ... ath/268614
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDpN8SlsLrM

Another:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ur ... Hai/274298
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDpN8SlsLrM
http://www.myspace.com/urukhaiofficial/ ... er=POPULAR (second song on this page)
The third song is in the deposit files link above, it has a long ambient intro but ends in metal

Last edited by ~Guest 152635 on Fri May 18, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 9 times in total.
hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:40 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I've never heard of Dungeons Deep Records. They distribute worldwide?

Just to clarify, when you say distribute worldwide, do you mean that they'd take orders throughout the world or that their stuff would be stocked by other distro's? In the case of the former, I'm completely sure but I'd imagine he would. Of course, having only ordered from him once and being from the US, my thoughts probably shouldn't be given much weight. If you meant the latter, I would doubt it. Other than Mercenary Musik, I've never seen anywhere have their stuff.

In any case, is that reason enough to warrant their removal? It just seems kinda odd to me that they'd be removed, but bands like Vali would be allowed to stay. Or is there some reason for that?

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:43 pm 

In terms of the side project rule, "worldwide distribution" has generally meant that the label in question distributes their releases to brick-and-mortar stores worldwide. It's sort of a basic litmus test for the label's notability.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:36 pm 

I've asked ugler (who appears to own a copy of the allegedly metallic Urak-hai compilation) to check this thread.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:35 am 

One would almost consider the option to make a second site alongside the MA in close cooperation with the MA to host all the music that is heavy and/or sideprojects that are not alolowed on the MA. Only problem: it would be cluttered in no time at all because of all the obscure bands/projects that would fit in there that don't do here!

~Guest 152635
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:39 am 

I posted 3 metal releases above :hyper: is that not enough?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 168  Next