Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VampireKiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:45 am 

Immortal's show at last year's edition of the Getaway Rock Festival immediately comes to my mind. One pet peeve of mine is when people feel the urge to smoke in the middle of a concert crowd, especially since I like to headbang without my fucking hair going up in flames

I can't seem to recall many people smoking in the crowd during this particular show. But holding on to my place in the front row proved extremely difficult. I stubbornly tried to retain it, but realized that I would most likely end up getting crushed if I didn't give it up. So when I finally gave it up and ended up going about 2-3 rows back, I ended up next to some drunk motherfucker who could not stand still even if his life depended on it (And mind you, he was not moshing or even headbanging!)

Immortal's sound got fucked up on numerous occasions during the evening, and they ended up stepping off the stage about 15-20 minutes earlier. This, combined with the drunk asshole, made this one of the worst concerts I have ever experienced so far. And this was supposed to be the one, giant show to close that year's edition of the festival with vigour and might. Me and my two friends were so fucking pissed off

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:52 am 

Quote:
This really makes my blood boil. I can't stand seeing this kind of shit at concerts.

At Wacken 2010, the third day saw a fair chunk of people just lying piss-drunk on the grass. I forget whether it was during Overkill or Lock Up, but I caught a glimpse of some guys who got up to this passed-out girl, lifted up her skirt and started taking pictures.

And it's like...how lame/scummy is that? You're at a place where you can probably find a girl who will fuck you if you're just not a douchebag, and you're one train ride away from a country where prostitution is legal, and THIS is your big play?

MetalThrashingMatt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:19 pm 

DarthVenom wrote:
Quote:
This really makes my blood boil. I can't stand seeing this kind of shit at concerts.

At Wacken 2010, the third day saw a fair chunk of people just lying piss-drunk on the grass. I forget whether it was during Overkill or Lock Up, but I caught a glimpse of some guys who got up to this passed-out girl, lifted up her skirt and started taking pictures.

And it's like...how lame/scummy is that? You're at a place where you can probably find a girl who will fuck you if you're just not a douchebag, and you're one train ride away from a country where prostitution is legal, and THIS is your big play?

That's fucking pathetic. I would have kicked his ass on on sheer principle

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:36 pm 

I've had a good read reading through this thread and it has made the shitty experiences I've had seem like nothing, so to the people posting their bad gig experiences; thank you for making me laugh and be thankful I haven't been in the same boat. I do hope that your bad times cease and the worst remains in the past.
Calusari wrote:
And, I have to say, sexual harrassment is far less of an annoyance at metal gigs/clubs than at other venues, and, aside from the one or two idiots who will inevitably be at any event of any kind, I've found metalheads to be far better behaved than other groups.
I'm glad your view of metalheads hasn't been tainted, there are indeed always a couple of turds at every show, it can be quite easy to label after being through a number of bad things. It takes a mindfully strong person to not become resentful and prejudiced.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:00 am 

that upskirt thing is bad :nono:
i just realised i've never ever been drunk at a concert o_O

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:22 am 

I've had some annoying experiences, but something really bad hasn't happened to me yet (knock on wood!).

My worst performance was Triptykon at Graspop Metal Meeting 2011: I really was looking forward to see this show, as it would be the heaviest of the entire weekend for me. But the sounds was a complete mess: only halfway Goetia, I realized the band was playing that song because I recognized the drum pattern: the guitars could not be heard.

Same festival: Judas Priest was playing, and some drunk fuck thought it necessary to constantly put his hands over my shoulders and block my view with them. If you want to be drunk, be drunk somewhere else.

GMM 2010: Korpiklaani played a set in the smallest tent of the festival. Needless to say the place was too crowded, and my friends and I had to follow the set from behind the PA tower. We didn't see anything, but we did have the space to move.

A story I heard from my brother: he was at a hardcore show, and some kid in the pit goes into ninja mode (as is custom at such shows). He succeeds in hitting a girl in the face with one of his appendages, and she loses some teeth. To make things worse, she wore a dental braces. I've missed the end of the story, but I can only imagine she had to go through a quite painful procedure to have the braces removed, teeth fixed and braces replaced.

I once received a ninja kick in my stomach at a local and very small metal, not hardcore, show. While I was trying to regain control of my breath, some guy walks over to me and said he had kicked the douche in return.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:33 am 

Lord_Lexy wrote:
I once received a ninja kick in my stomach at a local and very small metal, not hardcore, show. While I was trying to regain control of my breath, some guy walks over to me and said he had kicked the douche in return.

I received a flailing fist to the face. Knocked my glasses right onto the stage. It was a death / grind concert and a small venue, so me just being in the pit was asking to get hit.

Another time there were these two douches hardcore dancing to Swashbuckle. You know, that thrash band that dresses up in pirate outfits. They were behind me (I didn't want to lose my spot at the front when the headliners went on), so of course I got more than one kick to the back of my legs. Horrid music, and these dancers (if that, I think they were just flailing) were given a warning by the bouncer before doing it again and being tossed out by the collars. The thing is, they had the whole floor to themselves because no one gave a shit about Swashbuckle.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:36 am 

Quote:
I've missed the end of the story, but I can only imagine she had to go through a quite painful procedure to have the braces removed, teeth fixed and braces replaced.

Hopefully the story ends with the kid being stuck with the bill for the girl's braces.

Difference between moshing and 'hardcore dancing' is that in the mosh, the guys who come in with fists swinging are considered douchebags, whereas with the kids doing those windmills in the pit, putting your fists out in a crowded space is the whole point. So fucking dumb on so many levels because it's just a slew of bad things waiting for an opportunity to happen, as your post beautifully demonstrates.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:17 pm 

After reading these, any experiences I would consider bad pale in comparison. I guess the worst from recent memory was when I was at the tail end of my -core phase when I saw Born of Osiris at the Rave in Milwaukee. Halfway through the show, these teens behind us decided it was a good idea to get high and started trying to light people's shirts on fire with their lighters. I almost turned and clocked them in the face when a bouncer finally caught on and ejected them from the venue.

Otherwise, most other concerts I've been to (which have sadly been mostly -core concerts, damn my musical tastes of the past!), its just a matter of avoiding the retards in the pit and the occasional douchebag who thinks its a good idea to shove their way to the front.

Edit: On another note, most of the real metal concerts I've been to have been some of the most civil.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:10 pm 

Lord_Lexy wrote:

GMM 2010: Korpiklaani played a set in the smallest tent of the festival. Needless to say the place was too crowded, and my friends and I had to follow the set from behind the PA tower. We didn't see anything, but we did have the space to move.

I was there as well. And I agree, far to crowded and hot, fainting hot. And behind the PA tower you say? I'm pretty sure I was in that vicinity as well. I was part of the group of bare chested idiots dancing around in a circle with our arms hooked.....

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:16 pm 

At a Guns & Roses concert (the tour with Soundgarden opening) I went to with one of my best buds and my girlfriend, during Paradise City I walked out of the bathroom to see my friend being wheeled out in a stretcher looking miserable. Turned out he had a heart attack (this guy was 21 years old). My "wonderful" girlfriend at the time did not want to leave the show under any circumstances so we watched the rest of the performance before driving over to the hospital to see if my friend was dead. It was kinda weird seeing my girlfriend having such a blast, screaming and singing along to Welcome To The Jungle & shit while I just stood there waiting for the band to get off the stage so we could leave. I would've left myself but she had the car and knew the area. Turned out my friend didn't croak at least.

Another experience was at a Melvins show in 1994 in which I was friends with the singer/bassist of one of the opening bands and hadn't seen him in years. We had numerous shots to celebrate our reunion and I promptly blacked out just before The Melvins got on stage. I missed the entire performance memory-wise while actually watching it and have no idea how I got home that night. I could have been one of those drunk assholes described in earlier posts here for all I know. I've kept the drinking at shows to a two beer limit since then.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:32 pm 

[quote="Liquid_Braino"]At a Guns & Roses concert (the tour with Soundgarden opening) I went to with one of my best buds and my girlfriend, during Paradise City I walked out of the bathroom to see my friend being wheeled out in a stretcher looking miserable. Turned out he had a heart attack (this guy was 21 years old). My "wonderful" girlfriend at the time did not want to leave the show under any circumstances so we watched the rest of the performance before driving over to the hospital to see if my friend was dead. It was kinda weird seeing my girlfriend having such a blast, screaming and singing along to Welcome To The Jungle & shit while I just stood there waiting for the band to get off the stage so we could leave. I would've left myself but she had the car and knew the area. Turned out my friend didn't croak at least.

If I were you I would have went to the hospital immediately after the concert and after begging for forgiveness from my friend for letting my chic control me, I'd ask a doctor to search for my nutz. Seriously dude, the man code. You couldn't take a cab? Hitch a ride in the ambulance?

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:09 pm 

Sure, I think that too now in retrospect, but way back at that time I was too enamoured with that powerful little pixie to do anything not involving her whims during those days. The fact that this cruel cutie was a huge elevation in the looks department from my previous girlfriends who had nicknames ranging from "Flipper" to "Chocolate Thunder" had a say in my thoroughly whipped actions.

Unsurprisingly, I've lost a few real close friends thanks to their mates as well.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:18 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
Sure, I think that too now in retrospect, but way back at that time I was too enamoured with that powerful little pixie to do anything not involving her whims during those days. The fact that this cruel cutie was a huge elevation in the looks department from my previous girlfriends who had nicknames ranging from "Flipper" to "Chocolate Thunder" had a say in my thoroughly whipped actions.

Unsurprisingly, I've lost a few real close friends thanks to their mates as well.

Ha, I know the feeling, but still always gotta take care of your dudes.

GarageMetal468
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:57 pm 

Did you know that Chicago has a drugged up lunatic fangirl cult for Cianide? I do. I was lucky enough to be up front on the rail next to some people I know from Milwaukee for Cianide at the Autopsy show about a week and a half ago, and I was even more lucky to have these said girls right behind me. Not even the first second in these girls are DUMPING beer on me and everyone around me. What the fucking hell. What's even worse is that one of them just lost it for no reason whatsoever and started attacking one of the 2 people next to me. Not just hitting in like the arm or something, but pulling his hair, trying to rip out his earrings, hell, even fucking STRANGLING HIM. My friend booked it to the back and the girl went for his friend after, and he hit her back out of the sheer fear that he was probably going to die or get severely injured at the hands of some coked out bitch who was attacking him for no reason (basically, all self defense). Luckily my 2 friends were fine and the psychopath got kicked out. Unfortunately my friend who was attacked first had the show ruined for him because of that incident. I'm just grateful that I didn't get attacked.

japc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:45 pm 

VampireKiller wrote:
So when I finally gave it up and ended up going about 2-3 rows back, I ended up next to some drunk motherfucker who could not stand still even if his life depended on it (And mind you, he was not moshing or even headbanging!)

Happened to me in a Slayer concert, the guy in front of us was completely wasted, his head was down and he wouldn't see the stage even if he was turned there and not sideways. He could hardly stay up and we had to block him from time to time when he got a dangerous balance and nearly falled. To make matters worse there was a brave wheelchair guy behind us and at a certain time I nearly landed in his lap. I've seen the drunk bastard in other concerts but not as wasted.

VampireKiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:58 pm 

japc wrote:
VampireKiller wrote:
So when I finally gave it up and ended up going about 2-3 rows back, I ended up next to some drunk motherfucker who could not stand still even if his life depended on it (And mind you, he was not moshing or even headbanging!)

Happened to me in a Slayer concert, the guy in front of us was completely wasted, his head was down and he wouldn't see the stage even if he was turned there and not sideways. He could hardly stay up and we had to block him from time to time when he got a dangerous balance and nearly falled. To make matters worse there was a brave wheelchair guy behind us and at a certain time I nearly landed in his lap. I've seen the drunk bastard in other concerts but not as wasted.

Landing in the lap of a person in a wheelchair would certainly not be an amusing experience. I just wonder why the fuck certain people feel the need to be drunk in order to enjoy the show? Maybe it's just me, but when I'm drunk I don't appreciate the music nearly as much as I do when I'm sober. The sensation and the intended ecstasy of it all just gets "distorted" to me, and when I'm attending a show I have the intention of absorbing as much of the music and the general showmanship as much as I possibly can. It's a mystery, I tell you

Last edited by VampireKiller on Tue May 15, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:59 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
At a Guns & Roses concert (the tour with Soundgarden opening) I went to with one of my best buds and my girlfriend, during Paradise City I walked out of the bathroom to see my friend being wheeled out in a stretcher looking miserable. Turned out he had a heart attack (this guy was 21 years old). My "wonderful" girlfriend at the time did not want to leave the show under any circumstances so we watched the rest of the performance before driving over to the hospital to see if my friend was dead. It was kinda weird seeing my girlfriend having such a blast, screaming and singing along to Welcome To The Jungle & shit while I just stood there waiting for the band to get off the stage so we could leave. I would've left myself but she had the car and knew the area. Turned out my friend didn't croak at least.

We have a winner!
That REALLY sucks!

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:47 pm 

violence at gigs over here is rare, i've never seen any fights or aggro, probably because we don't get big bands here that often.
new zealand is mostly friendly and nice :grin:

japc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:10 pm 

Neither here, most are drunkards or kids.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:57 pm 

or drunkard kids :roll:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:37 pm 

Liquid Braino's wins hands down. That's utterly atrocious.

Off the top of my head the only gig I can say I hated on the whole was probably Iron Maiden back in 05/06 (can't remember exactly). Strange since Maiden is one of my favorite bands and probably performed one of my top 5 shows I've been to, but this one was just terrible. Bullet for my Valentine was the opener, which was just confusing and NOBODY in the crowd liked them. After trainwrecking their way through their set, they took their banner down and the crowd erupted in cheers. Now, this was the tour when Maiden played A Matter of Life and Death from front to back, and somehow I and my four other friends who went to this didn't hear they were doing that. I've made it very clear that that album bores me to death, and my friends all feel the same way, so we sat patiently through 1+ hours of material we just can't stand, and were rewarded with a whole five classic songs before the band was done. It was so disappointing, it was also one of my best friends' first concerts and Iron Maiden is easily one of his favorite bands. You could see how crushed he was to have such a lame, plodding setlist. The band gave it their all, to be fair, but the crowd all seemed to agree with us, as nobody was into it for the first hour or so. When Fear of the Dark started up the place went apeshit.

Other than that one soul crushing show, I've had just bad moments of otherwise good shows. For example there's one that still affects me today, and that was when I saw Deicide and Belphegor last February. I'm not a huge Belphegor fan, but I've seen them twice and will never try to miss them. They have an utterly dominant stage presence. The vocalst just stands there like this big, stoic monster, looks everybody in the eye at the same time and just pierces your very core with these perfectly spherical, soulless eyes. When he's growling, his eyes just get bigger and more circular (if you can imagine such a concept) and he just looks like a completely deranged lunatic, it's completely intimidating. I absolutely fucking love it. So as such, when they had started, I got near the front of the stage. The mosh pits were non stop and some of the most violent I've ever seen, so people kept blasting into the back of me and deliberately stomping on my ankles and stuff. I got punched a few times and started to just get more and more pissed as I stood there trying to watch the band. I know the risk of getting hit and whatnot, but this went beyond incidental, this was people trying to antagonize everybody in the crowd, get more "action" going or whatever. After getting straight up sucker punched in the back of my head and having my ankle stomped on for the zillionth time, I snapped and just Hulk Smashed everybody around me for a few seconds. Like, I turned around, saw somebody running towards me, and I just charged at him and fucking annihilated him. After spear tackling this poor hapless chump, I, still fuming and in a blind rage, bum rushed some 40ish year old stereotypical old school death metal fan whom I had no business bum rushing, considering he's one of those guys who's built like Gene Hoglan but with the strength of Atlas. I then turned after ramming that guy into his buddies and charge/cross checked one last guy who'd been fucking with me all night. After my fugue, I just went to the edge of the venue and stayed out of the crowd for the rest of the show. Even then I still got harassed by an old, smelly, Comic Book Guy looking fuckbag who bitched at me for existing. There was a couple leaving, so I stepped aside for them, the issue is that right when they were next to me Glen announced the next song was "Dead but Dreaming", and the two were like "NOPE NEVERMIND WE HAVE TO HEAR THIS ONE AT LEAST". So they stayed where they were and headbanged and had fun and then left when it was done, but during that time, that fat fuck kept shoving me and calling me an asshole for moving into his space while I was stepping aside to let those people through.

Anyway, ever since that show I think I might have a case of the Crosbys. I headbang for more than a few seconds and this incredibly sharp pain just shoots through my entire skull and I get dizzy and lightheaded. I've nearly passed out at a few shows since then merely for singing along too much or screaming too loudly. Maybe it's unrelated, but I never really had the problem before that night.

I have lots of little moments I could share but I really just don't have the will right now, haha.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

GodheadsDamnation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:37 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
i just realised i've never ever been drunk at a concert o_O

Me neither.. I mean.. what's the point? I'm there for the music not to get wasted and act like and idiot.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:12 am 

GodheadsDamnation wrote:
Me neither.. I mean.. what's the point? I'm there for the music not to get wasted and act like and idiot.
yeah man, exactly.
i've heard some shockers about bands getting too fucked up to be able to play properly, abusing the crowd etc

on a lighter note, some lyrics :p

Spoiler: show
Late afternoon in the open air;
A human sea made out of mud and hair.
Ain't nothing like a festival crowd:
There's too many people so we play too loud.
Touch down, plane's on the ground,
Look for the drummer, he's nowhere around.
Running late, at least an hour,
No time to rest, no time to shower now we're

Stinkin' up the great outdoors
But the kids don't mind!

We had a drink going up in the plane,
We had another coming down again.
We had another in the airport bar,
And then some home-brewed stuff in the promoter's car.
Here we go, on with the show,
We're bubblin under and we're ready to flow
Wound up! Turned loose!
Ain't got the power but we sure got the juice and now we're

But the kids don't mind!

We hit the stage, with rock and rage
And do our best to earn the maximum wage.
The lights are bullshit, the sound's for the birds,
Don't know the music and we don't know the words but still we're

And the kids don't mind!

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:12 am 

Ah man, I saw a couple Testament gigs like that (circa 1988-89), where not only was the band fucking loaded and sloppy as heck, but the sound could best be described as a total wall of incoherent, dissonant noise where you couldnt even tell what song they were supposed to be playing. And they didn't care; the singer Chuck Billy kept yelling at people to get in the pit as if the act of moshing would make the band sound better.

Megadeth opening for Dio at the Oakland Colisseum in 1988 wasnt exactly a memorable performance either, unless it was memorable for all the wrong reasons; with Mustaine drunk to the point of incoherence, fucking up the songs, and spitting and generally verbally abusing the crowd, etc.

Neither were my worst gig experiences though; far from it. Both these shows were saved by the other bands on the bill delivering the goods in top form (Forbidden opening for Testament and Dio following "Drunk dave o'deth")

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:24 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Neither were my worst gig experiences though; far from it.
so what was your worst one? forbidden live would be excellent, fantastic band.
i don't know if you'd know but did paul bostaph drum for both sets? [he was in both bands i think]

Fourthly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:57 pm 

GarageMetal468 wrote:
Did you know that Chicago has a drugged up lunatic fangirl cult for Cianide? I do. I was lucky enough to be up front on the rail next to some people I know from Milwaukee for Cianide at the Autopsy show about a week and a half ago, and I was even more lucky to have these said girls right behind me. Not even the first second in these girls are DUMPING beer on me and everyone around me. What the fucking hell. What's even worse is that one of them just lost it for no reason whatsoever and started attacking one of the 2 people next to me. Not just hitting in like the arm or something, but pulling his hair, trying to rip out his earrings, hell, even fucking STRANGLING HIM. My friend booked it to the back and the girl went for his friend after, and he hit her back out of the sheer fear that he was probably going to die or get severely injured at the hands of some coked out bitch who was attacking him for no reason (basically, all self defense). Luckily my 2 friends were fine and the psychopath got kicked out. Unfortunately my friend who was attacked first had the show ruined for him because of that incident. I'm just grateful that I didn't get attacked.

Wow. That is so fucking lame. People like that deserve to be shot in the head (regardless of gender). Hopefully, they do this to someone that ends up beating the shit out of them. Stupid bitches.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:11 pm 

man i'd love to see cianide play, i've worshipped a descent into hell since i first heard it, it's probably my favourite album.

Melas
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:17 pm 

Probably when I saw Dillinger Escape Plan last year with Pretty Little Flower and some other decent local bands last year. Dillinger had just finished their set and Greg went about fucking up a cabinet with a cymbal stand and then handed it out into the crowd. I put my hand on it for one second and then went crashing onto the ground at a stupidly fast speed. I come to a few seconds later with some skinhead kicking me in the ribs for no apparent reason and it took 3 bouncers to pull him off me. I went to my doctor the next day and find out I received a concussion and 3 contused ribs.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:44 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Now, this was the tour when Maiden played A Matter of Life and Death from front to back, and somehow I and my four other friends who went to this didn't hear they were doing that. I've made it very clear that that album bores me to death, and my friends all feel the same way, so we sat patiently through 1+ hours of material we just can't stand, and were rewarded with a whole five classic songs before the band was done. It was so disappointing, it was also one of my best friends' first concerts and Iron Maiden is easily one of his favorite bands. You could see how crushed he was to have such a lame, plodding setlist. The band gave it their all, to be fair, but the crowd all seemed to agree with us, as nobody was into it for the first hour or so. When Fear of the Dark started up the place went apeshit.

If I had a time machine I would go back to 2007 and buy the tickets off of you.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

GarageMetal468
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:03 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
man i'd love to see cianide play, i've worshipped a descent into hell since i first heard it, it's probably my favourite album.

Oh their performance wasn't disappointing at all. Just a certain portion of their fanbase that they have can fuck it up pretty bad.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:31 pm 

i'm really stoked about the new album, cianide kills! :metal:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:43 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:
Neither were my worst gig experiences though; far from it.
so what was your worst one? forbidden live would be excellent, fantastic band.
i don't know if you'd know but did paul bostaph drum for both sets? [he was in both bands i think]

Forbidden almost ALWAYS delivered an awesome live set back then, whereas Testament rarely did, for whatever reason. Keep in mind this was about 1988-89, right around the time both bands were fairly young. So I would assume that Testament got over their live-gig deficiancies. Testament still had their original drummer then, and Bostaph was still a relatively unknown musician playing exclusively with Forbidden (his first band.)

As for the first part of the question, the abortive attempt to see the Monsters of Rock festival would be, by far, my worst gig experience (see story above.) I've been to several other shows which had various other unpleasantness to deal with, whether it was sub-par live performances, crappy openers, pit-fiend posers (i.e. the type of guys who would show up just to "fuck shit up in the pit" and didnt really give a fuck about the bands or the music) or dehydration sickness at two different 135-degrees-inside-the-building Cow Palace shows.; I've seen it all.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:02 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
pit-fiend posers (i.e. the type of guys who would show up just to "fuck shit up in the pit" and didnt really give a fuck about the bands or the music)

This reminded me of the time I saw Behemoth. Behemoth were killing with a great setlist, as expected, but these two douches were doing this arm-in-arm swirling in the middle of the moshpit. Now let me tell you that the moshing was ruthless, so these idiots being in the middle twirling in a circle were pretty much hitting everyone as if they were pinballs. Not only that, but when they let go, they flew in two directions and knocked into moshers and bystanders HARD and caused a big scene. Fucking idiots made security flock right after 10 people got knocked to the ground. Fucking hate these people - domino moshers if I'm not mistaken.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Chainsaw Omega
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:45 pm 

GarageMetal468 wrote:

Ahhhh, so that's what that was all about. I'll be honest, I was a bit sauced and raged pretty hard during their set to really notice much of anything besides the music, but that sucks.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:48 am 

There was this fat little woman with red hair at a Katatonia gig that kinda looked like troll and was screaming with a terribly high voice. She did it mostly during the softer pars and when Jonas was talking She also held her beer in the air, right above my head, which really annoyed me because she was drunk as fuck and I expected it to land on my head soon. She also managed to push a friends girl and start an argument with us. Her sister dragged her away luckily.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2