Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:05 pm 

I'd prefer Catelyn's dreary inner monologues to Sansa's incessant whining any day. I swear everytime I hit a chapter from her POV, I put down the book. It's actually my sign to stop reading for the night. "Oh, Sansa chapter, bed time!"

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:39 pm 

Oh yeah, always hated the Sansa chapters for the most part! Until the later books they were the most annoying to try and sit through and read. Also didn't care much for Bran's chapters early on, but they got way more interesting. Catelyn's were up there though, probably be much worse if she wasn't the POV witnessing some of the most crucial scenes in the series

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:42 am 

I think Sansa's are going to start getting interesting, considering the events that just transpired at where I'm at... I just prefer to read about Arya, Jon, Jaime, Tyrion... hell pretty much anyone.

Especially with Littlefinger back in the game, crafty bastard.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:56 pm 

Are they going to explain more about Theon Greyjoy's story? I'm still a bit confused about his family and the Starks' situation.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:44 pm 

I don't know if they will. By the time the events from the TV series so far have occurred in the books, the backstory is fairly well established.

To summarize:
- About 9-10 years ago, Balon Greyjoy and his brothers* rebelled against King Robert, declaring himself King of the Iron Isles. He wanted to bring back the Ironborn's old way of reaving and pillaging and they started reaving the lands of the Western coast of the continent (Tyrion mentioned the ships at Lannisport being "on fire" in an early S1 episode, with Theon commenting that it "must have been a pretty sight").
- Robert called his banners and put down the rebellion with the help of Ned Stark, killing Balon's two elder sons in battle.
- Only the youngest son, Theon, survived, a 10 year old boy at the time.
- Balon's life was spared after bending the knee to Robert, but as a precaution to prevent another rebellion, Theon was taken hostage at Winterfell, to be fostered as a ward.

So Theon mostly grew up at Winterfell with little recollection of his childhood, and became friends with Robb. But he still feels like a Greyjoy and has some resentment of his status as a hostage, despite being treated pretty well by the Starks. That's why his loyalties were so divided. Eventually he caved to pressure from his biological family and he burned the letter of warning he was going to send to Robb.

It should be noted that in the book, Catelyn warned Robb against sending Theon to Pyke, saying it was really a bad idea. In the TV series she just tells him that Balon cannot be trusted, which is true of course, but so long as the Starks held Theon, they had a bargaining chip over Balon. Robb pretty much discarded that chip by sending Theon alone (!) to Pyke.

* Balon's brothers have not yet appeared on the show. They haven't been cast as they do very little in the second book. I assume they will be introduced later.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:38 am 

They don't seem to have explained Davos' background much, either. It probably confused people who hadn't read the books when Melissandre calls him "onion knight."

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:07 am 

Yeah but otherwise it's pretty clear on who he is and what his beliefs are.

Another thing I'd like to know, how about the battles? They sure can't show them (budget reasons or whatever), but they could at least try to expand on them. I mean, they barely mention/show Robb winning battles, but we have no idea how important they were, where did they take place, who's winning etc.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:33 pm 

Belial wrote:
Yeah but otherwise it's pretty clear on who he is and what his beliefs are.

Yeah mostly, but they could have detailed his backstory a bit more. Davos used to be a smuggler as was said in the last episode. At some point during the war of Robert's Rebellion (15 years ago), Stannis was under siege at Storm's End and nearly out of food; things were looking dire. Davos then sneaked in on his boat under the cover of night with a cargo of onions, allowing the defenders to survive until reinforcements could arrive and break the siege. Stannis knighted Davos and took him in his service to thank him, but cut off his fingers to the first knuckle on one hand to punish him for his smuggling days - a cheerful fellow, Stannis. That earned Davos the nickname of "onion knight", though it's often used mockingly by those of nobler birth.

Quote:
Another thing I'd like to know, how about the battles? They sure can't show them (budget reasons or whatever), but they could at least try to expand on them. I mean, they barely mention/show Robb winning battles, but we have no idea how important they were, where did they take place, who's winning etc.

Heh yeah, admittedly it's not very clear what Robb is doing. Basically, for the moment him and his army are marching west towards Lannister lands, winning every battle they encounter.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm 

You guys may or may not have already seen this:
http://i.imgur.com/mSUjE.jpg

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:57 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
You guys may or may not have already seen this:
http://i.imgur.com/mSUjE.jpg

Damn, Sansa's almost as tall as me aha!

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:55 am 

Belial wrote:

Believe it or not, that's pretty similar to the book. Most of Robb's battles happen 'off-screen' so to speak in the books so much of the information surrounding them is vague or nonexistent within the canon. There are some pretty sweet rumors and stories emanating from them in the books, though.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:11 pm 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
The third episode is much better, save the one scene with Sansa and Shae which was really awkward. I don't recall there being much sex at all, only some foreplay with Renly (though there may have been more, I've forgotten). In all honestly I hadn't noticed the fragmenting until you mentioned it, but I don't think it harms this episode. I'd look forward to it, for the scene with Yoren at the least. I really enjoyed it.

Just saw this episode, they completely do what I recommended and don't show Danyris or Stannis aha

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:36 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
^ That was certainly a fake, considering the time you posted this. But, it's been leaked now. My impressions (minor spoilers):

I watched this last friday and it was REALLY nice!
Waiting for the second one tomorrow!

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:27 pm 

thomash wrote:
Belial wrote:

Believe it or not, that's pretty similar to the book. Most of Robb's battles happen 'off-screen' so to speak in the books so much of the information surrounding them is vague or nonexistent within the canon. There are some pretty sweet rumors and stories emanating from them in the books, though.

Do you mean stuff like how Arya talked about Robb riding his direwolf into battle? That was very cool.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:29 am 

What the fuck was that shit? o_O The whole fucking episode. Books? What books? Let's just make everything up from now on, why not.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:39 am 

The last episode confused me a bit. Now, it's been a while and my memory is foggy but I still don't remember a lot of that stuff happening.

Episode spoilers below. I also list out what I think I remember from the books as opposed to what happened in the show so there's a slight possibility that there's minor book 2 spoilers. Keep that in mind before reading my post.

Spoiler: show
Who is this girl Robb is talking to? Didn't he already marry Jeyne Westerling by the time Catelyn came back?

When did Amory Loch ever confront Arya? I don't remember that at all.

What's up with Jon Snow and Ygritte? What I think I remember is Jon lets Ygritte go (I don't want to go on and spoil the story for the rest of the people).

Osha laid with Theon? All I can remember is some scene where she jabs some guy in the balls or something and gains enough respect to be trusted.

When were Danaerys' servants killed and dragons stolen? As far as I can remember, nothing ever happened like that and she left Qarth without incident (barring that weird warlock place scene).

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:42 am 

That's because that stuff didn't happen in the books. I think the last one you mentioned is just a really hamfisted attempt to skip to the House of the Undying. The rest are out of left field and I don't know what they're doing now.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:44 am 

There's a very big line between adaptation and sloppy fanfiction, but that episode veered pretty much into the latter, unfortunately. They just made shit up for no reason almost the entire time. Very disappointing episode, the worst one yet in the series.

The highlight was finally seeing some Hound action, though. Even though the riot gore was silly. Am I the only one who thought I was watching a Romero zombie flick? :scratch: The snarling mob was already zombie-like, but when the arm came off I just lost it. Soooo dumb.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:24 am 

I really hope they get things back on track after this. I don't want the show to just start meandering entirely away from the books. They've already got rid of enough things as it is.

So help me, if they write out the Blackfish... :snipe:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:09 pm 

Huh, I thought the episode was completely awesome, having not read the books. So what were some major changes?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:15 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:

Do you still have hope for the Blackfish? :lol: Good luck with that, considering we mostly see him in the first two books anyway. At this point, I'm more concerned that they'll write out Riverrun as a whole. :|

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:32 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Huh, I thought the episode was completely awesome, having not read the books. So what were some major changes?

Pretty much everything in that episode other than the riot at King's Landing is... at best, loosely inspired by the events in the book, or else completely made up.

See Indecency's post for many of the changes.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:51 pm 

Razakel wrote:

I posted some of them earlier. The thing is, fully describing what instead happened in the book might slightly spoil some of the later parts of the book. If you're really curious about it then my above post should be totally safe. If you want even more detail, then you'll most likely be going ahead of where the show is right now (since it could be possible that stuff happening in the show right now isn't necessarily an alternative but rather a precursor/prequel/pre-something).

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:10 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
The highlight was finally seeing some Hound action, though. Even though the riot gore was silly. Am I the only one who thought I was watching a Romero zombie flick? :scratch: The snarling mob was already zombie-like, but when the arm came off I just lost it. Soooo dumb.

Well, the book does recount that the High Septon was ripped apart to pieces; at least that was faithful. Besides, outside of Joffrey, I would suspect he was the one the people most hated.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:43 pm 

Worst episode so (and by) far, everything seemed overacted and ridiculous, please don't let the writer ever approach a computer again.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:49 pm 

Great episode.

As someone who hasn't read the books I really don't give a fuck how much they veer from them. As long as the show stays great (which is has) then I'm happy.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:53 pm 

Haven't read the books so I have no particular feelings about the changes, but that episode was probably the weakest one so far in terms of... well, being good. It was still interesting, but yeah, a lot of that shit just felt like it came out of nowhere.

Also totally not buying for a second that a group of Black Guard could manage to steal up and surround a group of wildlings in broad daylight.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:41 am 

You mean Night's Watch.
HellBlazer wrote:

Do you still have hope for the Blackfish? :lol: Good luck with that, considering we mostly see him in the first two books anyway. At this point, I'm more concerned that they'll write out Riverrun as a whole. :|

I've considered that danger as well, but they need Edmure.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:56 am 

Indecency wrote:
The last episode confused me a bit. Now, it's been a while and my memory is foggy but I still don't remember a lot of that stuff happening.

Episode spoilers below. I also list out what I think I remember from the books as opposed to what happened in the show so there's a slight possibility that there's minor book 2 spoilers. Keep that in mind before reading my post.

Who is this girl Robb is talking to? Didn't he already marry Jeyne Westerling by the time Catelyn came back?

When did Amory Loch ever confront Arya? I don't remember that at all.

What's up with Jon Snow and Ygritte? What I think I remember is Jon lets Ygritte go (I don't want to go on and spoil the story for the rest of the people).

Osha laid with Theon? All I can remember is some scene where she jabs some guy in the balls or something and gains enough respect to be trusted.

When were Danaerys' servants killed and dragons stolen? As far as I can remember, nothing ever happened like that and she left Qarth without incident (barring that weird warlock place scene).

It's bullshit. I might have to stop watching it, I just get annoyed each episode.

I'll see if they do that warlock scene. The house of the undying was BY FAR my favourite part in the book. If they cut that out I'll be annoyed. Don't think it would be too difficult to fuck up either, like they seem to with Jaqen de Haar (the other best bit of the book was the Arya story, particularly Jaqen

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:26 am 

You mean Night's Watch.

Riiiight. :thumbsup: That is what I meant. Christ...if my memory falters any further than it already has these days I'm going to end up calling House Lannister "House Tyrion" and the Iron Islanders "The Pirates." Starks would probably turn into "The Wolf Dudes."

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:56 am 

Man, I have read the book, and that was my favorite episode of this season so far. I really don't care if they veer from the books mind you. Seeing the guy get torn apart and Tyrion's face upon witnessing it was pretty much exactly how I'd imagined it, so that was great. (Note - I said guy to prevent any spoilers).

Before the LOTR movies came out, I reread LOTR. Loved the first movie, but the changes in the second bothered me and the third pulled it off and was fun. Now I love the flicks for what they are. Because of that experience, I purposefully didn't reread A Song of Ice and Fire before Season 1, and haven't touched the books since. It makes the memory a bit cloudy and allows me to enjoy the TV show for what it is: an adaptation and a TV show. I think if I had reread them, I'd have been a bit more upset by "unnecessary" changes.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:56 pm 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
It's bullshit. I might have to stop watching it, I just get annoyed each episode.

:roll:

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:10 am 

As a non book-reader, thoroughly disappointed with the story as of the last few episodes.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:35 am 

PFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:

Ugh... I saw the second one (The Night Lands) yesterday and that was not good. At all!

:scratch:

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:12 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:

Ugh... I saw the second one (The Night Lands) yesterday and that was not good. At all!

:scratch:

Yeah that's the worst one so far imo.

I thought episode 6 was great, no matter how much it veered from the books.
Sandor Clegane is awesome, and when Tyrion hit Joffrey, I was just like "fuck yeah." And we all know that the thing with Osha was just an excuse for us to see her naked. But when she ripped that dudes throat out I thought that was badass as fuck.

The only variance I disliked is making the idea of marrying Margaery and Joffrey Littlefinger's idea instead of Tyrion's. And Lord Tywin not supporting it. I think the series makes Lord Tywin out to be way to likeable. In the books, he's a full on politician. The series makes him out to be way too Stannis-like, if you understand what I mean.

For the record, Riverrun and the introduction of Edmure and the Blackfish is being pushed off into season 3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_thrones_season_2#Uncast_characters).

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

zingote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:16 am 

I really enjoyed episode 6, despite the changes from the book. The only thing that bothered me was the scene with Ygritte. I hope she isn't taking him directly to the wildlings, and we do get to see Qhorin again. As for the dragon theft, they needed to add something to spice up Dany's story, which is pretty dry in ACOK, outside of the house of the undying. Can't wait to see how that plays out.
And yeah, Edmure needs to be in the next season, or else a certain scene will not work out. Book readers should know what I'm talking about.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:48 am 

I would've thought that they would try to get that event to happen this season.

I really wish they'd introduce Ramsay already. :(

EDIT: I take it back, that event mentioned earlier probably would make a good start to a third season.

zingote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:53 am 

Derigin wrote:

EDIT: I take it back, that event mentioned earlier probably would make a good start to a third season.

Way too early. I think season 3 will end with this event.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:48 pm 

Animicantus wrote:
For the record, Riverrun and the introduction of Edmure and the Blackfish is being pushed off into season 3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_thrones_season_2#Uncast_characters).

That doesn't say anything about which characters' introductions are postponed. Sure, hopefully they'll do that, but even then it'll be kinda weird that Catelyn has a family (and a major house) that comes out of nowhere, while they're supposed to have been helping Robb all along.

zingote wrote:
And yeah, Edmure needs to be in the next season, or else a certain scene will not work out.

Meh, you'd think that but... I'm sure they can make up some more bullshit to set it up. Just look at the Harrenhal storyline, it's similar... yet completely different. At this point I'm starting to doubt we'll even see the Weasel soup..? :scratch:

zingote wrote:
As for the dragon theft, they needed to add something to spice up Dany's story, which is pretty dry in ACOK, outside of the house of the undying.

Dany's book storyline is fine. Yes, not a whole lot happens to her... but then again, there is very little time to dedicate to each character in their 10-episode seasons. There's only four episodes left to the season; the House of the Undying and subsequent events would have filled that up fine, for the little we see Dany each episode. If they wanted to have more content to her arc, maybe they shouldn't have cut the Vaes Tolorro part? Not to mention that the dragon theft idea is just retarded. Who the hell did they send that can massacre a household full of Dothraki warriors and not leave any of their own dead behind? A squad of Jaime Lannisters? And where the hell are Xaro's own guards? Can anyone just walk into the mansion of the richest man in Qarth (congratulations on your new-found wealth by the way, Xaro, I guess..?) and start slaughtering people then leave without a trace? This is nonsense.

Derigin wrote:

Yeah, not sure how they can have the rest of the season without Ramsay but... *shrugs*

Derigin wrote:

Don't be crazy...

zingote wrote:
Way too early. I think season 3 will end with this event.

This makes sense.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next