Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:24 pm 

Torture is good, but after a few listens it still hasn't done enough for me to set it above any of the previous albums back to Bloodthirst. I'd take it over Vile or Gallery, but that's about it. I'm hoping it's more of a grower than a shower.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:01 pm 

"The Bleeding": Best songs and best production.

gcb1000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:13 pm 

The Bleeding and close second the Kill.

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:47 am 

Torture and The Bleeding are my faves, with Tomb of the Mutilated a close 3rd. Torture... Fucked me, and had that biggest impact on me when first hearing it than any other CC album. I didn't find it quite as technical as The Wretched Spawn, but the production for me was better than both Kill or Evisceration Plague. It gives, to me, a healthy balance of awesome production and decently technical and very concise writing, and not to mention, a fucking DISGUSTING bass tone by Mr. Alex Webster. Best listened to on FLAC if you're going digital, because his bass on that album is, in my opinion, the best he's done overall in terms of sound, amplitude, volume and playing.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

havoc00
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:50 am 

The Bleeding by far, didnt try to be to technical just had amazingly catchy brutal songs.

Glentxa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:48 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Looks like i better check out Torture. It's getting good words in this thread.

Spun it again last night and it is VERY good...

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:33 am 

I did the same actually, as I had yet to listen to Torture and it's really damn good. I actually am excited to see CC on tour again now that I know their new songs are pretty kick-ass.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:24 pm 

Haven't given Torture a spin yet, it's been sitting by the stereo waiting...

FasterDisaster wrote:
I really like Gore Obsessed. Every song is just... super insane and really great and it's just... awesome.

Yeah, I'm going with Gore Obsessed for the same reasons.
It's also the most fucking fun to shout along to.

You can also, if you're an immature prick like me, and with the assistance of alcohol, insist vehemently that the opening track, Savage Butchery, is about a revenge fantasy after Corpsegrinder had an unpleasant experience in the ocean [sexual assault by a merman]
SAVAGE
BUTT CHERRYY
RAVAGE
RUE THE SEA!

Really, they're all pretty damn fun albums.

Posthumousdecay
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:09 am 

Tomb of the mutilated because it was the first CC album I owned, actually it was on cassette. Can remember at the time that was the fastest drumming and Brutalist vocals I had heard from any band. Plus I remember reading the lyrics to my girlfriend for I cum blood. She was appalled with "I pissed in her maggot filled asshole" just the look on her face of utter revulsion cemented that song and that album as one of my favorites forever. I remember seeing them play with Sadus and Malevolent on tomb of mutilated tour. killer show. Plus I also really like The Bleeding as well. Fucked with a knife!

lordrelay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:43 am 

The Bleeding/Butchered At Birth --- Barnes > Corpsegrinder and the musicianship still sounded fresh and innovative --- Torture was awesome but most of the Corpsegrinder era material sounds forced and just 'going through the motions.'

Fourthly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:44 am 

None of the above. I've always thought that they sucked.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:12 pm 

I got into death metal without hearing a single Cannibal Corpse's song, and now I wanted to know wich album is good to start with just to have at least some CC albums in my music library, then I saw this thread, thanks :-D

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:53 pm 

Fourthly wrote:
None of the above. I've always thought that they sucked.

We all knew "this guy" was coming along...nice to get it out of the way, at least.

Everybody's in love with Torture here, so maybe I'll check that one out. I've heard a few tracks from it already, and they sounded damn good enough, but not spectacular. Maybe you have to hear the album as a whole.

Shame that the Corpsegrinder era still isn't getting respect from everyone. I don't get it. Barnes was great with CC, but he hit his vocal peak a very long time ago while Fisher has been consistently great for 16 years. The vocalist change was the best thing that could have happened for them. Vile hit me as a realization of potential. It ushered in a new era where the band was still killing us, but doing it with a lot more creativity.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:09 pm 

I'd probably have to go with Eaten Back To Life. The thrash influence and variety are the best in their catalog.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:44 pm 

I'd go with Torture. It's the best overall and some of those riffs are face ripping (As Deep As The Knife will go)

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:22 pm 

Corpsey the Clown wrote:

Shame that the Corpsegrinder era still isn't getting respect from everyone. I don't get it. Barnes was great with CC, but he hit his vocal peak a very long time ago while Fisher has been consistently great for 16 years. The vocalist change was the best thing that could have happened for them. Vile hit me as a realization of potential. It ushered in a new era where the band was still killing us, but doing it with a lot more creativity.

I feel that the problem with the Fisher era it's not him, it's the lack of variation in songwriting and some plain unmemorable/uninspired albums/periods of time. Vile was shit but the vocals weren't the reason, the songs were just boring. Gallery has some good tracks but tons of filler. Bloodthrist was the best thing CC released with Fisher and again, it's just that the songwriting was more varied and fresh. Gore Obsessed to Wretched Spawn are pointless - nothing absolutely new and great. Evisceration Plague onwards CC got more technical but they compromised some of the catchiness, making those albums harder to enjoy. Torture it's a look at the past in some ways.
The Bleeding remains the best just cause it's catchy, it's brutal, it's varied, the production is excellent for what the album is and the performance is intense.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:40 pm 

i had the eaten back to life/butchered at birth double sided tape when i was in third form [one album on each side] most of the other kids thought i was nuts :grin:
we could put or CC collection photos in here... :thumbsup:

Death_Welder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:31 am 

Corpsey the Clown wrote:
Fourthly wrote:

Metal fans are stubborn creatures. Fans of the Barnes albums will always revert to "I only like the first 4 albums. Those were different." Really? Cause it's the same musicians. So Alex Webster made 4 flawless albums in a row, but then dropped the ball for the following 8? Those odds are astronomical

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:04 am 

I like "The wretched spawn" best because it was my first CC album and they all sound about the same anyway (at least the George Fisher phase, never really got into the chris barnes albums)

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:47 pm 

I really only care for the first two and everything from Gore Obsessed on. Never got hooked by their middle-period stuff.

And I think Torture might be their overall best album, and definitely my second favorite.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:39 pm 

This is an interesting thread, as i like another poster stated got in to death metal without ever hearing much cc. at least not enough to know which album was worth checking out. so as of now looks like i will be picking up the bleeding album to check out. Still skeptical that cc has the material to stand up to my other death metal favs like deicide, autopsy etc.. but we will see

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:15 pm 

I bought the bleeding today. the time is near to see if this holds up to other classic death metal albums

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:57 pm 

primitivevoid wrote:
I bought the bleeding today. the time is near to see if this holds up to other classic death metal albums

Other death metal albums? Or other CC albums?

The Bleeding is a interesting release. A bit odd in the CC catalog i think. It doesn't really sound like anything else they've done.

DisciplineOfRevenge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:54 am 

Tomb Of The Mutilated definitely. nice deep vocals, groovy riffs, awesome bass. one of the albums that really got me into death metal. love the barnes era, so happy i got to meet him at summer slaughter.

Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:01 pm 

primitivevoid wrote:
This is an interesting thread, as i like another poster stated got in to death metal without ever hearing much cc. at least not enough to know which album was worth checking out. so as of now looks like i will be picking up the bleeding album to check out. Still skeptical that cc has the material to stand up to my other death metal favs like deicide, autopsy etc.. but we will see

I was into DM almost five years before I bought a Cannibal Corpse album. They seemed so obvious that I overlooked them and their album names/covers looked like they were trying too hard, but just like you I started with The Bleeding.

Giving it another listen right now...it's definitely unique. They use a cleaner and more groove-oriented style than before. Barnes' vocals are less guttural with more screeches, easier to understand. Overall it's good, just not my favorite.

Last edited by Corpsey the Clown on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
heavymetalbanger1989
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:04 pm 

Eaten Back to Life followed by Tomb of the Mutilated and Butchered at Birth. EBTL is such a classic to death metal and TOTM/Butchered are classic Cannibal Corpse unmistakable for anything else.

I don't think I've ever been able to listen to Vile the whole way through and I can't remember why anymore but that album has always been their worst imho.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:36 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
primitivevoid wrote:

Other death metal albums? Or other CC albums?

The Bleeding is a interesting release. A bit odd in the CC catalog i think. It doesn't really sound like anything else they've done.

I wanted to see how it stacked up against other death metal classics, as many people consider cannibal corpse to be one of the finest examples of death metal. I had avoided them like the other poster said largely as they appeared to be trying to hard to be brootal.(thelyrics cover act the whole cannibal corpse package)

My thoughts on "THE BLEEDING"
Its a good solid death metal album. It is catchy and an enjoyable listen. I will try some other stuff by them, but at this point they seem kinda second teir to me. Good solid meat and potatoes death metal and there is nothing wrong with it, i in fact enjoy it, just enjoy other death metal bands more. just my cannibal corpse virgin opinion. I think i will try eaten back to life next... or open to suggestions.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:46 pm 

Off topic: Are any of the Six feet Under albums worth checking out? i have avoided them as well and all the cover albums and stuff seemed stupid but i have heard some people really enjoy there early material. wondering what cannibal corpse fans think of barnes work with SFU.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:46 am 

primitivevoid wrote:
Off topic: Are any of the Six feet Under albums worth checking out? i have avoided them as well and all the cover albums and stuff seemed stupid but i have heard some people really enjoy there early material. wondering what cannibal corpse fans think of barnes work with SFU.

Think of it this way- His voice in Haunted/Warpath is like in The Bleeding, but after that, it turns to shit. Musically, theyre like a repetitive Obituary. The rest of the albums, to me, are better, but his voice is just so bad now. Personally, I like all the albums(minus the covers). I would give Haunted a try. If you like that, try Maximum Violence. If you dont like that one, don't bother with the rest.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:47 am 

I still have yet to hear Torture, but I really, really loved The Wretched Spawn. Definitely some of their best work, imo

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:24 am 

primitivevoid wrote:
I wanted to see how it stacked up against other death metal classics, as many people consider cannibal corpse to be one of the finest examples of death metal. I had avoided them like the other poster said largely as they appeared to be trying to hard to be brootal.(thelyrics cover act the whole cannibal corpse package)

My thoughts on "THE BLEEDING"
Its a good solid death metal album. It is catchy and an enjoyable listen. I will try some other stuff by them, but at this point they seem kinda second teir to me. Good solid meat and potatoes death metal and there is nothing wrong with it, i in fact enjoy it, just enjoy other death metal bands more. just my cannibal corpse virgin opinion. I think i will try eaten back to life next... or open to suggestions.

Definitely check out Eaten Back To Life. Cool death thrash and Barnes showing energy and range. Possibly my most played by them.

What else to check out is a tricky question though. CC are one of bands where all the fans have different favourite releases. There isn't really a classic album or two to jump at like Effigy Of The Forgotten or Cause Of Death for example.

In my opinion Kill was a good album with neat songwriting, and with rawer production it could have been a near modern classic. I still rate it though. Tomb Of The Mutilated is a great listen too. I find it more varied than Butchered At Birth. Barnes is at his most deep sea monster sounding on those two.

Don't bother with Six Feet Under they are annoying. The album Barnes did with Torture Killer is probably better anyway if you really have to hear non CC material by him.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:35 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Bleeding- catchiest, favorite vocals

cweed wrote:
I still don't think I've listened to EVERY album, but I must say my favorite is probably The Bleeding. It's the catchiest, Chris Barnes was at the top of his game even tho the band was having problems, and it's got the songs that I most enjoy experiencing live.

cultofkraken wrote:
I think to this day I agree, The Bleeding is their best and most complete album. Certainly my favourite.

Kveldulfr wrote:
The Bleeding. It's the most varied in every aspect, catchy as fuck, the bass sounds just excellent, Barnes mutilates everything at his path and yeah, those songs were made for be played live.

Tapsa93 wrote:
The bleeding. Just aboutevery song is catchy as hell, i love the riff's in songs like stripped raped and strangled or the bleeding. And Barnes does good job with the vocals.

syx wrote:
I always find myself listening to The Bleeding the most; mainly due to the first 3 tracks and Forcefed Broken Glass! Also love Gore Obsessed! Haven't listened to Torture enough to make up my mind as to how good it really is.

Temple Of Blood wrote:
"The Bleeding": Best songs and best production.

gcb1000 wrote:
The Bleeding and close second the Kill.

havoc00 wrote:
The Bleeding by far, didnt try to be to technical just had amazingly catchy brutal songs.

+1. We have a winner!
P.S: Althought I don't REALLY like the band.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:51 am 

Between this thread and seeing Corpse play half the new album live I decided to order a copy of "Torture."

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:55 pm 

the bleeding was good catchy death metal, but i have to say after checking out eaten back to life that i prefeer the debut. I cant quite put my finger on it but i think it is the riffs. It would be perfect if barnes had done bleeding style vocals on eaten back to life but alas he did not. both solid albums though.

~Guest 294409
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:00 pm 

Tomb Of The Mutilated is my favorite, but it is followed closely by Butchered At Birth and Eaten Back To Life.

Last edited by ~Guest 294409 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:49 pm 

lol while we're on the subject of CC I have an odd story to tell. . .
My EP shirt just came in about a week and a half ago. . . they were supposed to have shipped it earlier so I called the company and they said they'd have it by a certain day. On that day the shirt didn't come, so I called them again and then they said that the shirt would be there by the next day. The shirt showed up, but yesterday another fucking Evisceration Plague shirt showed up in my mail. I guess the two people I talked to shipped two different shirt at different times to the same address. So now I have one free Cannibal Corpse shirt. I just hope that they don't catch on to what happened and I get to keep the damn things.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Starwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:32 am 

Death_Welder wrote:
Metal fans are stubborn creatures. Fans of the Barnes albums will always revert to "I only like the first 4 albums. Those were different." Really? Cause it's the same musicians. So Alex Webster made 4 flawless albums in a row, but then dropped the ball for the following 8? Those odds are astronomical

Dave Mustaine would like a word with you. Oh, and Lars and the boys. Kerry King, too.

~90% of bands (not just metal) can't put out something worthwhile after their fourth or fifth album. If they even make it to their fourth or fifth album. "I only like their early stuff" is probably the most uttered phrase when talking about the vast majority of bands, metal or otherwise.

Arise212
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:41 am 

I think "Tomb of the Mutilated" and "The Bleeding" are the best albums. I can't really pick one over the other, they are both really good. I like Tomb, because it's more raw and old school, I also love Chris Barnes' more gutteral low vocals. The Bleeding just has one excellent song after another, they are both good. I think "Vile" is probably my favorite of the CorpseGrinder albums.

Arise212
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:49 am 

primitivevoid wrote:

The Six Feet Under albums, especially the fist two are really slow to mid paced. Haunted and Warpath both have Allen West (from Obituary) on guitar, and the music sounds exactly like Obituary, just with Barnes on vocals instead of Tardy. After that they got Steve Swanson on guitar, and the music got much heavier and more brutal, but most of the songs are still slow to mid paced.

You would probably like the album "Maximum Violence" Chris Barnes vocals are still good there, and the music is really heavy. Check out the songs on that one, or check out the video for "The Day the Dead Walked" from another one of their albums, stupid video but the song kicks ass, and the vocals still aren't bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52qaecMQOM

Classy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:05 am 

Gallery of Suicide is my favorite, but mainly due to the fact that it was the first CC album I ever listened to. It was love at first listen for me and I saw them on the Live Cannibalism tour so the live album is pretty far up there on my list as well.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next