Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:28 pm 

Just a scratch recording, so the playing and singing are far from perfect, but you get the idea. I'd appreciate some opinions on this one.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72840986/the%20 ... othing.mp3

Immortalhero
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:02 am 

Fantastic! I love how present the bass guitar is. The only insane criticism I could give is that the snare drum seems a bit dull, for the slower parts I would beefen it up. But dude....good stuff. I would buy a EP/LP

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:55 am 

Thank you very much. As for the snare drum, do you mean it needs more brightness or more body or something similar to that?

Immortalhero
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:37 am 

I would say give it a tad of reverb. Not so much that it looses the punch, but just so it has a bit of ring after the hit. I'm not good at reverb but I know there's a way to reverberate only the part after the initial hit so you don't loose the punch. Maybe someone else can explain in further detail.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:11 am 

Gated reverb, most likely. Well, that's something I've been meaning to learn more about anyways, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks again.

mattp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:24 am 

Sounds great. Vocals are weird -- is this the headphone mic recording technique? What is your guitar chain?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:53 am 

Yeah, I recorded the vocals through headphones. It didn't change my vocals too much, just sapped some high end and clarity. Recorded in Reaper, my guitar chain is ReaGate -> simulanalog's tubescreamer VST -> simulanalog's JCM900 VST -> Poulin LeCab -> ReaEQ.