Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:02 pm 

Maybe this is unoriginal, and I wish I could make a poll or something. But screw that, I've just heard my favorite and I want to talk about it.

My favorite Cannibal Corpse album is Vile. Holy shit! I really liked Kill, I was mildly impressed with Tomb and Bleeding, I was let down by Plague, I have yet to hear Torture...but I'll be devoured by vermin if Vile isn't some of the greatest shit I've ever heard. If this was their first album after Barnes, no offense to him, but him leaving was the best thing that ever happened to them. I don't know how anyone could say all CC's stuff sounds the same, because this is so different from their previous stuff it's amazing. They were always a killing machine; with Vile they became a killing machine with a brain. "Bloodlands" alone can testify to that.

Take it, guys. :grr:

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:21 pm 

Corpsey the Clown wrote:
I really liked Kill, I was mildly impressed with Tomb and Bleeding, I was let down by Plague, I have yet to hear Torture...

...you do know there are four albums between Vile and Kill that you didn't mention, right?

Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:51 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Corpsey the Clown wrote:
I really liked Kill, I was mildly impressed with Tomb and Bleeding, I was let down by Plague, I have yet to hear Torture...

...you do know there are four albums between Vile and Kill that you didn't mention, right?

No, MT.
I had no idea that Cannibal Corpse had released anything else in those ten years. :roll:

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:53 pm 

Butchered at Birth without question out of their first four classic albums, its the most vile, has the sludgiest guitar tone, and Barne's vocals are superior to any of his work afterwards. If you combine that unique guitar tone with the crushing riffs of Vomit the Soul, Meat Hook Sodomy, and Rancid Amputation none of the band's forgettable Mid-era Corpsegrinder shit stand a chance, and overall its just a sludgy and unique take on the band's sound not replicated by any bands I've seen.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:29 pm 

Vile

For starters it was my first Cannibal Corpse album, so there is some nostalgia with it. But really, even when compared to their entire discography, it's still my favorite. "Devoured by Vermin" is just one of those classic songs that can have a major effect on you as a music fan, and that song has been one of the most important to me in my development as a Metal fan.

metalxstorm123
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:44 pm 

Eaten back to life, it has alot more thrash influence, chris barnes voice is less deep and guttural and he sounds super fuckin rabid

ErectileProjectile
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:15 pm 

People on here still listen to cc? I'm surprised, but then again..
And who the hell cares about Virgin Steele? That band doesn't matter.

You sir, have made a very powerful enemy this day.

CrushedRevelation wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Better question is why is there a rooster on the cd?

Because they like cocks?

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:34 pm 

Bloodthirst! By far my favorite Corpse album. I might be biased since it's my first but it's definitely their strongest to my ears.

I never see this song gets mentioned when it comes to CC but it's easily their best to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6zrlcfEhOg

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:37 pm 

It's really difficult for me to pick one, because I like most of them a lot. If I had to choose, I'd say Tomb of the Mutilated, but I do think Eaten Back to Life, ToTM, The Bleeding, Bloodthirst, Gore Obsessed, and Torture are all up there in terms of my favourites.

ErectileProjectile wrote:

Did they get too popular for you to enjoy?

ErectileProjectile
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:41 pm 

They're played too badly for me to enjoy
And who the hell cares about Virgin Steele? That band doesn't matter.

You sir, have made a very powerful enemy this day.

CrushedRevelation wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Better question is why is there a rooster on the cd?

Because they like cocks?

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:42 pm 

I heard Cannibal Corpse on my local top 40 station. Rumor has it that Corpsegrinder is going to feature on an upcoming Katy Perry single.

My favorite CC album would be a tie between Bloodthirst and Torture, simply because I find that those two albums have the best songwriting. There's no major style difference on any of the Corpsegrinder albums, so I can't really point out any particular aspect of the music.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:50 pm 

ErectileProjectile wrote:

Don't post in this thread again.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:22 pm 

Bloodthirst seems to be the sacred cow of CC's discography among MA forumgoers, and it is truly excellent. But for my own part I just can't go past Kill. I've never heard an album with a more perfect opener than Time to Kill is Now. It's short, blazing fast and hits like a freight train. Then it goes straight into Make Them Suffer, which happens to be my favourite track from them. The whole record is solid and I love the way it ends with Submerged in Boiling Flesh and the instrumental.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Death_Welder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:09 am 

Torture for sure. It's got everything we love from all eras of Corpse, but most importantly is the songs are well-written. Caged..Contorted is godly

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:10 am 

probably Butchered at Birth, i got like 10 of their cds at once and they all sound kind of similar unfortunately
Torture is really good, the average Cannibal Corpse fan would likely dig it

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:10 am 

Tomb of the mutilated- most brutal
Bleeding- catchiest, favorite vocals
Torture- best corpsegrinder album

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:18 am 

Torture is an awesome album. It's wonderful to see a 'legendary' band (by virtue of their lengthy career and influential releases)producing new material that is on par with their classic releases, rather than creating records that only make fans long for better bygone days.

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:25 am 

I still don't think I've listened to EVERY album, but I must say my favorite is probably The Bleeding. It's the catchiest, Chris Barnes was at the top of his game even tho the band was having problems, and it's got the songs that I most enjoy experiencing live.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:19 am 

cweed wrote:
I still don't think I've listened to EVERY album, but I must say my favorite is probably The Bleeding. It's the catchiest, Chris Barnes was at the top of his game even tho the band was having problems, and it's got the songs that I most enjoy experiencing live.

I think to this day I agree, The Bleeding is their best and most complete album. Certainly my favourite.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:33 am 

Pulverised is a killer tune on The Bleeding

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:15 am 

For me, either Bloodthirst, Gore Obsessed, or Torture. Not really a fan of the Barnes' era.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:36 am 

MikeyC wrote:
For me, either Bloodthirst, Gore Obsessed, or Torture. Not really a fan of the Barnes' era.

I like the Barnes era, but I'm in the "Chris Barnes is a Pussy" camp myself. His vocals almost got worse with each progressing CC record, too.

Anyways, I'd go with Torture or Kill myself simply because I find that I bang my head hardest to those two albums and they feel like the most complete albums with the best production. I'll need to give Torture some more time to see how well it stands up to repeat listens, though.

- John Calvin.

Last edited by 0kill on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
StellarGraves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:42 am 

Butchered At Fucking Birth!

* The cover..
* The wretched lyrics..
* Holy shit... Meat Hook Sodomy has one of the most face pounding opening riffs ever..
* Barnes sounds like a fucking monster!
* Best drum sound of all first 4 albums in opinion..

If Ill mention Corpsegrinders (preferred vocalist) period by it self than I have to say Gallery Of Suicide, Bloodthirst and Torture take the top spot!

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:06 am 

Anyone else hear who thinks that Gallery of Suicide is truly their best one?

6Xul66
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:45 am 

Tomb Of The Mutilated is definitely my favourite. Its just a crushing album, the lyrics are dark and insane, the music is heavy, the artwork is sick. Personally I'm more of a fan of the Barnes era, with all 4 Cds having a distinguishable sound, however I do love the Corpsegrinder era as well. They may have become technically proficient musicians during this later era but for some reason they just can't capture the magic the band had when Barnes was in the band.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:03 am 

Samoroth wrote:
Anyone else here who thinks that Gallery of Suicide is truly their best one?

Gallery of Suicide is also my favorite, imho far better than Bloodthirst. From Skin to Liquid has such a godly riff...
I can't compare it to the more recent stuff though, as I've not heard it.
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:26 am 

I've had a special relationship with The Wretched Spawn because it was the first Cannibal album I bought. Don't know if it's the best, but songs like Severed Head Stoning, Psychotic Precision, Decency Defied, Frantic Disembowelment, Cyanide Assassin, Festering in the Crypt, Nothing... Nevermind, the whole album fucking rips. Instant classic, motherfucker.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:09 am 

The only albums I can tolerate are The Bleeding and Tomb Of The Mutilated. Pretty, pretty... pretty good.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:03 am 

Harlequin_Fetus wrote:
The only albums I can tolerate are The Bleeding and Tomb Of The Mutilated. Pretty, pretty... pretty good.

I just noticed your username and lol'd

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Glentxa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:10 am 

metalxstorm123 wrote:
Eaten back to life

I would say the same. Havent heard all CC albums, just first four, 'Kill' and 'Torture', and all have elements I like and others I find rather tedious, but I believe 'Eaten back to life' sounds the freshest of the lot. Digging 'The bleeding' as well though, and just received 'Torture' so I need to spin it a bit more before I can decide on that one.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:39 am 

The Bleeding. It's the most varied in every aspect, catchy as fuck, the bass sounds just excellent, Barnes mutilates everything at his path and yeah, those songs were made for be played live.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:15 am 

I feel like when you talke about Cannibal Corpse you are talking about 2 seperate bands. You have 2 completely different sounding eras of the band. I would compare it to the band Death. The raw early era (Barnes) and the later more technical era (Fisher). When it comes to the Chris Barnes material I with out a doubt say The Bleeding. This album was the most mature sounding album of their rawer material. You can sing a long to every track. The riffs are better and the song structures are more fluent. Now when it comes to the Corpesgringer era I would have say Bloodthirst. Every track on this album truly stands out from one another. No filler at all. In fact I would say that that some of the songs on this album are often overlooked and deserve more credit than given. Every riff is just awesome and are perfectly complemented by the song structures. Bloodthirst showed how Cannibal Corpse evolved their skill technically but could still write Crushing, Catchy, Death Metal anthems. No other album in their discography is stacked from start to finish like Bloodthirst... until Torture came out.

Gallery Of Suicide is another over looked album. Your casual fan may not care for it but any die hard Cannibal Corpse fan will tell you how great it is. I think the music quality on this album is as entertaining as Bloodthirst but it may not be as consistent. When it comes to their newest album, Torture, This is the only album other than Bloodthirst that I think is filler'less. Every track is awesome from start to finish. However Im not sure the quality level of Torture is as good as an album in their discography like Bloodthirst or The Bleeding.

If I were to pick only one album as my favorite Cannibal Corpse release, I would have to choose Bloodthirst.

Last edited by TheIbexMoon666 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tapsa93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:02 am 

The bleeding. Just aboutevery song is catchy as hell, i love the riff's in songs like stripped raped and strangled or the bleeding. And Barnes does good job with the vocals.

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:53 pm 

I always find myself listening to The Bleeding the most; mainly due to the first 3 tracks and Forcefed Broken Glass! Also love Gore Obsessed! Haven't listened to Torture enough to make up my mind as to how good it really is.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:57 pm 

Mikey's faves are mine as well. But, Gore Obsessed holds a special place in my heart, reminds me of summer evenings and driving down highways traveling all over the country. Love every tune on that album.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:59 pm 

I really like Gore Obsessed. Every song is just... super insane and really great and it's just... awesome.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:19 pm 

I like all 4 that I own. I've owned first and listened to Eaten Back to Life most, but I've found myself listening to The Bleeding a lot lately, and I need to give Torture some more listens. I also own Evisceration Plague. That one is pretty good, but I think I prefer Torture more, as of now.

GuitarGuyNack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:41 pm 

Bloodthirst has long been my favorite because of the riffs on it.Torture is a close second if not an even tie.

adders11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:42 pm 

Kill is my personal favourite as I think it's the best in terms of song structure, riffs and production. I like all CC albums but this one just seemed the most memorable to me.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:25 pm 

Looks like i better check out Torture. It's getting good words in this thread.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next