* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:01 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Just now discovered Hibria's Defying the Rules

That album contains my favourite solos of all time and some of the catchiest music ever written. Better late than never!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:51 pm 

Why are there so few reviews of Dark Quarterer? They're practically as awesome as Manilla Road to me, at least they were at first. Obviously volume of great material doesn't match MR, but as far as important and AWESOME epic/prog trad metal goes...
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:09 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Why are there so few reviews of Dark Quarterer? They're practically as awesome as Manilla Road to me, at least they were at first. Obviously volume of great material doesn't match MR, but as far as important and AWESOME epic/prog trad metal goes...

Beats me. The first two albums are certainly some of my favorite stuff ever.

They're, uh, rerecording/reworking the debut, actually. I'm curious how that will turn out. Hopefully it will stand as an alternate version and not a downright inferior one. I believe it's more of a reworking than a simple rerecording, so it very well may be.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:13 am 

I think their later material is also very great, Symbols is a 95/100 in my book, but yeah, totally underrated band. I'm not a fan of bands rerecording their old stuff though, but we'll see. I would prefer some new material since they're not a productive band...

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Bahamut7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:59 am 

I only have Dark Quarterer's debut album but it's a damn good record. Unfortunately, the sound production suffers from time to time. Hopefully what they're doing with it is simply cleaning it up a bit. I'm guessing it's a matter of going through in discography order for the rest of the albums.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:02 am 

Dark Quarterer are definitely one of my favorite bands, their bizarre brand of prog/doom/epic metal is utterly unique. Vocals, riffs, solos, everything is just about perfect when they're at their best. One of the most emotionally gripping bands out there. I'm not wild about the idea of them re-recording their debut, though; there are some wonky production issues here and there, but for the most part it's perfect. I don't want them to change "The Colossus of Argil" or "Gates of Hell"! LET THE EVIL BE MY FOOD

Seriously, "Gates of Hell" is one of my all-time favorite songs. Such chilling misanthropy.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:11 am 

Geese of Hell... have opened! the drum intro on that song is fucking awesome. Yeah, it's probably my favourite DQ song, too.

I heard the Talion album that I was recommended today; kinda disappointing considering how rad Trojan are. Oh well, it was pretty cheap. Post-NWOBHM identity crisis? Maybe.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:55 am 

Bart Gabriel just posted this band on Facebook, Altered State. Shares some Deadly Blessing members, the singer for sure. I really fucking like this. Superior vocals, awesome riffs with some nice little hooks thrown in, awesome pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6znaH337 ... e=youtu.be
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:28 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Just now discovered Hibria's Defying the Rules

That album contains my favourite solos of all time and some of the catchiest music ever written. Better late than never!

In addition to one of the best falsetto cries of "steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel" not made by Eric Adams.

- John Calvin.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:18 pm 

Bahamut7 wrote:
I only have Dark Quarterer's debut album but it's a damn good record. Unfortunately, the sound production suffers from time to time. Hopefully what they're doing with it is simply cleaning it up a bit.

The production is part of the appeal as far as I'm concerned. Like saying MR's Crystal Logic needs to be remastered. PSH!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:34 am 

Element_man wrote:
Bart Gabriel just posted this band on Facebook, Altered State. Shares some Deadly Blessing members, the singer for sure. I really fucking like this. Superior vocals, awesome riffs with some nice little hooks thrown in, awesome pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6znaH337 ... e=youtu.be

This is the best power metal demo of all-time.

The upcoming release is mandatory for any aficionados of this style.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:06 am 

Holy crap this is awesome stuff. Tell Death Rider Records to secure that lost second demo material from Oblivion. :np:

Ski honestly sounds even better here than on Deadly Blessing (more refined), guess it is a few years newer than the Deadly Blessing debut.

Is Xlxlx around? SEE WHAT I MEAN!?! :lol:

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:52 am 

Yeah holy shit, that song is fucking awesome, keen to hear the entire demo.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:03 am 

Yeah, that song was...uh..."awesome" works, I guess. Just goes to show, you discover new killer stuff all the time.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:25 am 

You guys seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvVmPmM3 ... re=related

It's Metallica with 4 members of Mercyful Fate playing just 4 months ago, King Diamond still sounds fucking excellent.. well in most parts.

Great footage too (except for the watermark)

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 am 

I guess we can expect a new KD album sometime soon, given that the King's doing alright healthwise. I'd love to see something on the level of The Eye again, but I'm really doubtful that King's capable of stuff of that quality. I know there's people who like his post-The Eye work a fair bit around here, but it doesn't do much for me. Still, it'd be nice to see something with a cool, dark concept like that again (not that I'd want a dreaded sequel or whatever :P).

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:39 am 

The Puppet Master was really good. Not his best, but definitely worth a listen now and then. Unfortunately that was nine years ago his most recent wasn't that good, but let's hope his hiatus has given him time to come up with some good ideas.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:32 pm 

I was always surprised people tend to overlook "The Spider's Lullabye" because it's not really so far sound wise from his 80's material. "Dreams" in particular is an incredibly underrated song. I also think that "House of God" and "The Puppet Master" were pretty terrific modern albums of King, even though the last one was a bit boring sometimes despite a few highlights.

I think we'll probably get a fair amount of more touring before they go back to record honestly. I'd love to see them live but I doubt they'll come in the area.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:29 pm 

The Spider's Lullabye is awesome. The fact that's it's not a complete concept album is a bit of a drag, but it's probably the best post-The Eye album. Voodoo is a really good one too.

Hopefully the production improves from GMYS. That one had good stuff, but the sound was so lifeless and mechanical.

YmirsGap
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:19 pm 

Pharaoh's new album "Bury The Light" is awesome -- this is the band that can do no wrong for me lately, as a fan of progressive-but-not-too-progressive-and-minimal-synths-please power metal. I noticed that Adramelch has a new one coming out too, and I just realized that I haven't even checked out "Broken History" yet.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:38 pm 

Eh, Bury the Light did nothing for me. Not enough actual riffs, too much wanking in odd time signatures.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:58 pm 

I'll never agree with you on that Oblarg, the riffs on Bury the Light are excellent. And I wouldn't say it's wanking either; just great songwriting! Some of the most powerful and evocative around.

This band has ridiculous vocals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeFRsFYp ... re=related

edit: I actually really like this. At first I just thought it was funny, but now I think it's actually cool. Not the most original or anything, but it's a lot of fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrMfoTUz ... re=related

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:20 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Ridiculous, you say?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:59 pm 

Cool band, Emp. I'm on a major Steelwing binge. Awesome stuff.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:49 am 

The Solar Eagle singer is crazy weird and awesome. Azrael seems pretty sweet.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:53 am 

Yeah Akira has a killer singing voice. I've wanted to check out more Azrael and I guess now is as good a time as any.

Is anybody here into Circle II Circle? As a singer myself I've really been blown away by Zak Stevens voice and his work in CIIC is some of his absolute best in terms of tone and melody. Beyond that, "Burden of Truth" in particular is an extremely well written album that reminds me a bit of latter day Angel Dust for some reason. And Savatage of course.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:02 pm 

The Unisonic album is on Youtube, and it's pretty awesome. I was never the biggest Kiske nut, but this is really good, solid, hooky melodic rock/metal. Love "Star Rider": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g1L7zglEwc

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:00 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
The Solar Eagle singer is crazy weird and awesome. Azrael seems pretty sweet.

He reminds me a bit of the vocalist for Sacred Oath, except I can't barely understand a word he says, but yeah, it's pretty awesome alright.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:17 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The Unisonic album is on Youtube, and it's pretty awesome. I was never the biggest Kiske nut, but this is really good, solid, hooky melodic rock/metal. Love "Star Rider": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g1L7zglEwc

Fuck Kiske directly in his ass. He badmouths metal right and left when it's not that popular, then as soon as it gets popular again here he is with a new band and album. Fuck him.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:24 pm 

Why, what has he said before?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:33 pm 

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showinterview.php?id=1102

A couple of relevant passages:

Michael Kiske wrote:
My basic idea of music is to create your own art, not to do what people expect of you. I am open to projects, because it is difficult to do your own art without pleasing a certain audience. But to me music is about expressing yourself through your art, which is something you simply cannot do in metal. If someone like me chooses do be a free musician and creates his own thing, he is instantly looked upon by the metal community as someone who betrayed metal. And therein lies the irony of the situation: I rely on the rock-scene because it is what I grew up with and what people expect of mei. But I cannot fake creativity and cannot make an album simply to please the peers of the scene. Which immediatly excludes recording another album with overloaded guitars.

Why are you so reluctant to use heavy guitars?
"Because it detracts from the art. It is just like the choice to talk to someone, or to shout. Both ways of communicating get the message across, but talking is so much more dignifying than shouting. Nowadays I am less impressed by most artist in metal. I don't care if someone can play faster than Malmsteen or sing higher than Rob Halford.

Basically he just sounds like a completely pretentious dickhole who's too much of an artist to stoop to singing in a metal band, but here he is again. What a coincidence that metal is now much more lucrative!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:47 pm 

I think it's funny because all of his non-metal releases suck super hard.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:49 pm 

Wow, that's indeed pretty funny saying that and turning to heavy metal again. Did his other projects fail really bad?

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:56 pm 

Has anyone listened to the new Militia album? I think it's pretty good, although not quite as promising as their EP from the '80s was. I'm surprised at how much deeper Mike Soliz's voice is, it sounds more like Tony Moore's current voice than the "all shriek, all the time" voice he had in 1984.

As for Kiske, this is nothing new, he's been practically buzzing around Kai Hansen like a fly since 1995. He loves to talk shit about metal but can't resist an opportunity to ride the coattails of the man who made him famous.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:00 pm 

I already knew about all of that, but the Unisonic is pretty kickass anyway. Kiske is a douche, but then again...Kai Hansen and the other guys aren't. So it's a 4/5 ratio and that's mostly good enough for me.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:54 pm 

Strangely, this Unisonic project does nothing for me. Maybe it's because I'm not the biggest fan of Gamma Ray or Helloween in the first place, but even then those groups have songs I enjoy greatly; this doesn't.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:58 pm 

I personally find it very watered-down, like Keepers with the aggression and speed filtered out. You would think a guy who's constantly blathering about following his own musical direction and finding his True Art would make something that's less utterly safe.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

YmirsGap
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:09 am 

I'm not sure why people continue pay attention to him, other than to derive amusement/irritation from the spectacle of the stupid things he says and writes. Keepers is his only noteworthy accomplishment.

BTW, re: Marcus Grosskopf of Helloween, "Grosskopf" in German means "big head".

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:24 am 

Yeah fuck Kiske. Sure he has a voice, but his performances are flatter than flat. Kai or Piet (if he were still around with them) should've did vocals on the Keeper albums, maybe they would have been cool then.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:12 am 

I won't speak for him as a person, but Kiske has a great voice for me. I notice that the classic Keeper era of Helloween doesn't seem to get much appreciation here but for me it's still top notch stuff. Even though I do find myself preferring albums like "The Dark Ride" in all honesty, but I prefer Kiske singing wise.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320 ... 624  Next