Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:30 am 

I will say everything but the ending to ME3 is an absolute blast.

I just downloaded the first Fallout and going to play it tonight, as I am sick and my usual drinking/clubbing cavalcade will be suspended. Also, just downloaded the first Doom and going to play through it tonight. Forgot how amazing the level design is.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:40 am 

Quote:
I just downloaded the first Fallout and going to play it tonight, as I am sick and my usual drinking/clubbing cavalcade will be suspended. Also, just downloaded the first Doom and going to play through it tonight. Forgot how amazing the level design is.

The first two Fallout games are, and always will be, my favourites - I've played them to death over the years. I've yet to play Fallout 3 or New Vegas properly, but I'll maybe get around to that sometime over the summer.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:43 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Just fired up Mass Effect 3, and holy shit, they sure don't waste any time, do they? It's fucking amazing so far, but I really think they blew the 'Reapers invade Earth' load too early. The game would've made more sense if Cerberus attacking the Mars station had been the first part, requiring Shepard to come out of retirement since he's ex-Cerberus and therefore knows more about them than the average Alliance goon, plus maybe they suspect it's Reaper-related or something. Then the "Reapers are here" thing could be the climax in the middle or end...as it is, the Reapers are killing MILLIONS OF PEOPLE every fucking minute I waste talking to some NPC douche. I want to strangle people for wasting my time. YOUR SLOW DIALOG IS COSTING MILLIONS OF LIVES, JUST FUCKING HURRY UP

And yes, I know the end is stupid and terrible, I'm just going to enjoy the ride. I didn't pay a dime for it so I've got nothing to lose but time :D

I wouldn't have called any of it amazing, almost every part of it was less exciting than ME1 and 2, with the gunplay in the previous two games being significantly better. But you're right about the Reaper presence. Every time you go to the map you see the number of Reaper ships growing and it doesn't mean shit.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:59 pm 

Well, I've only played maybe an hour at most so far, so I'll have to reserve judgment on gunplay until I play more. So far it seems fine, though.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:07 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Well, I've only played maybe an hour at most so far, so I'll have to reserve judgment on gunplay until I play more. So far it seems fine, though.

Please tell me the dream sequences aren't included in your praise.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:20 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

The gunplay is fucking fantastic. I played the Soldier class and equipped the M-3 Predator with a High Caliber Barrel mod, and a Magazine Upgrade mod. This allowed me to quickly fire four or five shots, fire an impact round, fire four more shots, reload, impact round, etc. I love any game where they let you fire a pistol as fast as you can feather the trigger. Great for up close encounters, especially in conjunction with the omni-blade.

The second gun I always carried was the trusty Krogan shotgun, M-300 Claymore, with a Spare Thermal Clip mod and Smart Choke mod. This was a perfect combination for taking down mechs and heavies, and even allowed me to one-two the shielded Cerberus operatives. I'd hit them with a impact round, and while they were exposed from the stagger, blow them in half with the Claymore.

Mass Effect 3 is excellent. Good times.

Oh, and amazing tracks such as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuE4ltHVpbs

Last edited by ~Guest 98976 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shutdown
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:23 pm 

PeachPit wrote:
Just played through both demos, but am currently purchasing knights of the chalice. With only whatever information I remembered from NWN, I found it very easy to get into. Snappy, difficult combat that required a fair bit of thought, and rather charming sprite work. I rather enjoyed playing with the pre-made party, as i am more of a casual gamer, and I don't really care for the initial stat selection. I always feel I am doing something wrong.

Combat in eschalon blew dick.

Got any more recs in your bag of tricks?

Depends on what kinds of cRPGs you like. Knights of the Chalice, for instance, is basically a D&D combat simulator and is therefore one of the best tactical cRPGs ever created. Spiderweb's games are varied, with the Exile games being closer to Ultima and Geneforge being closer to Fallout. In fact, if you haven't played Fallout it is current free for the next 24 hours on GOG.com, so make sure you pick it up.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:54 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

The gunplay is fucking fantastic. I played the Soldier class and equipped the M-3 Predator with a High Caliber Barrel mod, and a Magazine Upgrade mod. This allowed me to quickly fire four or five shots, fire an impact round, fire four more shots, reload, impact round, etc. I love any game where they let you fire a pistol as fast as you can feather the trigger. Great for up close encounters, especially in conjunction with the omni-blade.

The second gun I always carried was the trusty Krogan shotgun, M-300 Claymore, with a Spare Thermal Clip mod and Smart Choke mod. This was a perfect combination for taking down mechs and heavies, and even allowed me to one-two the shielded Cerberus operatives. I'd hit them with a impact round, and while they were exposed from the stagger, blow them in half with the Claymore.

Mass Effect 3 is excellent. Good times.

Oh, and amazing tracks such as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuE4ltHVpbs

The one thing I dislike about the soldier is that with the weight system and the fact that all the classes can hold any weapon now, I feel more useless now. I've had to bring Liara and Garrus along in every mission. I really don't like having to rely on squadmates for powers. That's why I'm usually a sentinel guy.

I guess I could use EDI or Tali instead of Garrus, but I like Garrus' weapon loadout more, and he's less squishy; and after the geth are taken care of, Tali's value becomes greatly decreased.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:20 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

Please tell me the dream sequences aren't included in your praise.

Hahaha fuck no. Despite the fact that I already know who the little fucker is, I kind of like him as a symbol of Shepard's motivation; a (supposedly) innocent child senselessly killed in a war he had nothing to do with. Of course, my character is a Paragon all the way, so it makes sense. A Renegade Shepard probably wouldn't give a fuck.

I'm playing an Infiltrator, and the cloak is fucking awesome. I like that you can use any gun now, though different classes favor different guns. It's fun playing Vanguard-style, stealthing behind enemy lines and blowing them away with a shotgun. Probably works better than Vanguard's stupid charge, haha. Probably not something I'll be able to keep doing, but for now it's awesome. Also, I'm glad grenades have made a reappearance, especially in their new & improved form. Stealthing up to a guy, sticking a sticky grenade on him, and stealthing back into cover without him ever knowing what happened is super fun. I feel like ME3 facilitates a much wider variety of playstyles within a single class than ME1 or ME2 did.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:28 pm 

I knew you'd like it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, ME3 is much better than ME2 in every single way to me, gameplay, story, etc.

You're really missing out on multiplayer brosef. Bunch of free DLC dropping next week according to my friend, new weapons, characters, and stuff. The varied playstyles translates really well into multiplayer with all the classes. The enemies are so much better than ME2's as well. Vanguard's are stupid in multiplayer, they completely own. Not my style though. Engineer is probably my favorite there. Drones to distract big enemies, Incinerate is awesome, and Overload is just the best thing ever.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:15 am 

How is the story better? The best bits of ME1 and 2 involved running around the citidel, exploring the alien areas and solving problems for people. Not much of that in 3, just land at a planet shoot stuff for an hour and go home and listen to some boring old admiral talk at you. The only bit of atmosphere was in those caves with the insect pods, but that got old after 5 minutes. Plus there were fewer interesting personalities, partly because I killed off Mordin, Tali and Wrex early on, but certainly the relative absence of Sheen and Miranda was a detriment to what meager acting talent there was.

Showing enemy ships on the map was just retarded. I was hoping that when you intersected them you'd go into ship-battle mode but nope, just a "game over". They could have made it a strategy-RPG section battling those ships with the ability to upgrade and mod your ship, which could have been awesome. But I guess that would have involved too much thinking for 90% of the audience.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:28 am 

I thought the citadel was better in 2 than it was in 3. Also, the gunplay is pretty rubbish in ME1. It is much better in 2 and 3.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:02 pm 

I find the actual gameplay of 3 to be miles better than 1 or 2, but no Mass Effect story will beat #1's, that games story just blows me away all the time and the characters are awesome.

And like 6 hours in im liking the missions on ME3 so far, ive had nearly as many side quests in that time than i had in all of Mass effect 2

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:20 am 

failsafeman wrote:
It's weird because the set designs in Downpour are fucking amazing. Definitely one of the best visual depictions of the Otherworld in any Silent Hill game, bar none. Then they just throw a bunch of humanoid monsters at you, instead of the grotesque, deformed things of previous Silent Hill games. I like the bigass Wendigo types, though, their gaunt form and huge stature are pretty creepy.

I agree.

The environments were very creepy and excellent in portraying a horror atmosphere. The Hansel and Gretel puzzle and what happens next. Pure horror gold.

Downpour had bugs and problems but I had to forgive it cause it took Silent Hill into the direction it needed to go. Modern consoles needed true horror.

Speaking of genres that are reemerging, Xenoblade Chronices has to be what brings JRPGs back. The entire feeling I get from playing this game is that I forgot what a good JRPG was like until playing this. My first impressions of a game usually come with some negativity. Mass Effect 3's new characters were dumb and boring. But I have nothing bad to say about this game so far. The only possible downside to the game is the lower quality voice acting and the limitations of the Wii. But other than that, a near perfect JRPG so far.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:59 am 

Oh man, obligatory Dandelo gushing about Xenoblade post. I'm a predictable bastard.

I loved the voice acting in Xenoblade. And yes, it is utterly fantastic. The best game I played all last year, and I'm not really a fan of that genre. Such a well conceived world, and I don't think the system limits this game at all. Hell, I found myself getting impressed by how technically competent it is, large areas, gigantic random monsters, very little framerate drops. Sure it doesn't look too good on an HD set, jaggies everywhere, but it's still impressive what they got out of the hardware. Make sure you see the sea area at night.

I just finished Crysis 2. A bit underwhelming.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:28 pm 

I was watching my roommate stumble through Crysis 2 earlier, and the degree to which the game holds your hand is kinda embarrassing - he clearly needed it, though, which was even sadder.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:58 pm 

For those of you who dig the Megaman X series tunes.

This dude Dominic Ninmark has been making his own tunes for a fan-made Megaman X -esque game. These tracks are amazing and sound right out of Megaman X - X3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg2H3MO1 ... ure=relmfu
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:18 pm 

On my iPod: Yuki Iwai - Megaman X and Megaman X2 soundtracks. No shame in saying that. And this guy definitely has that spirit down.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:10 pm 

Fucking Mass Effect man...I cant stop playing it and now i wanna replay #1 for the third time, its soon becoming one of my favourite game series of all time, i just love the setting, the characters, the story, the atmosphere, the music...

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:14 pm 

Mass Effect feels like ass. It's hard as shit to go back to.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:50 pm 

Yeah, it's a pretty dull game.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:58 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
Oh man, obligatory Dandelo gushing about Xenoblade post. I'm a predictable bastard.

I loved the voice acting in Xenoblade. And yes, it is utterly fantastic. The best game I played all last year, and I'm not really a fan of that genre. Such a well conceived world, and I don't think the system limits this game at all. Hell, I found myself getting impressed by how technically competent it is, large areas, gigantic random monsters, very little framerate drops. Sure it doesn't look too good on an HD set, jaggies everywhere, but it's still impressive what they got out of the hardware. Make sure you see the sea area at night.

Yeah I don't see any issues with the graphics, looks amazing. Dabbled into it so far and it's gonna be off the hook, I can tell. If there's one thing I liked about FFXIII, it was the "huge" open environments (I get megastructure boners too), but in Xenoblade's case it's like oh wait, you can actually go EVERYWHERE!

I'm still knee deep into Skyward Sword though, loving it. But once that is finished I'll probably focus on Xenoblade.

So yeah picked up a Wii again recently. Lots of good stuff to hit up.

Diamhea wrote:

This dude Dominic Ninmark has been making his own tunes for a fan-made Megaman X -esque game. These tracks are amazing and sound right out of Megaman X - X3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg2H3MO1 ... ure=relmfu

Holy crap.

This one is fucking insane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdoRRKcDOj8

EDIT: Now I remember hearing about this game awhile back, it's supposed to be Metroidvania styled. I hope it comes out.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:22 pm 

Dandelo wrote:

I still wonder why I had a blast with Crysis and Crysis Warhead, yet Crysis 2 felt so fucking boring.

Bahamut7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:00 pm 

Diamhea wrote:

Only recently have I been able to pick up Mega Man X. Took a lot longer to get on VC for Europe than it should have been. I've only played so little games from Mega Man (2, 3, 9 and 10 are the others) and I've heard plenty of good things about some of the X games so here's hoping or a fun experience throughout.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:02 pm 

Marag wrote:
Dandelo wrote:

I still wonder why I had a blast with Crysis and Crysis Warhead, yet Crysis 2 felt so fucking boring.

Because no amount of ultra linear super mega epic scripted explosion-filled michael-bay-esque visual set piece extravaganza can beat the appeal of being dropped in the jungle, relatively free to use and complete the tools and objectives given to you in any way you see fit, due the simple fact that video games are games (read: supposed to be interactive) and not movies.
I keep hoping this is just developers overestimating (as opposed to accurately assume) the amount of players looking for a passive experience and content to give up more and more control and just watch the pretty pictures while the game tells them what to do.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:23 pm 

I just wrote a review for Silent Hill Downpour after playing through it two times and seeing all endings and sidequests. If anyone is interested, I'll post it here in spoiler tags :)

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:50 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
Marag wrote:
Because no amount of ultra linear super mega epic scripted explosion-filled michael-bay-esque visual set piece extravaganza can beat the appeal of being dropped in the jungle[...]

Or you know, the game has terrible pacing and has relatively unfulfilling gameplay.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:02 pm 

I got the same thing with Crysis and Crysis 2, i love Crysis 1 but i couldn't go past 6 hours of Crysis 2

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:49 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMgTUcymZco

Can we agree this was the coolest fucking boss in all of the 3D Zelda's? I'm way past it at this point but can't stop thinking about this fight. The dungeon was cool. And what da hell, how is that not the final boss theme?

Man that boss ruled.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:53 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
I keep hoping this is just developers overestimating (as opposed to accurately assume) the amount of players looking for a passive experience and content to give up more and more control and just watch the pretty pictures while the game tells them what to do.

I would prefer that over getting killed dozens of times at the same location by a hidden Korean in the bushes, which is what Crysis was.

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:41 am 

Bahamut7 wrote:
Only recently have I been able to pick up Mega Man X. Took a lot longer to get on VC for Europe than it should have been. I've only played so little games from Mega Man (2, 3, 9 and 10 are the others) and I've heard plenty of good things about some of the X games so here's hoping or a fun experience throughout.

Every X game from 1 to 5 is essential, if you like basic Mega Man formula, i can guarantee you wont be dissappointed.

Ah also, i started Xenoblade recently too. Still only several hours in but it feels really promising, i just hope it doesn't turn out to be too long and huge. Personally i like shorter, linear, story driven rpgs...so time will tell if XC's gonna be better than Last Story. Its really a shame that all these great console rpgs are released so late during Wii's lifespan, they will never be more than just cult classics.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:53 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
BlindTortureKill wrote:
Because no amount of ultra linear super mega epic scripted explosion-filled michael-bay-esque visual set piece extravaganza can beat the appeal of being dropped in the jungle[...]

Or you know, the game has terrible pacing and has relatively unfulfilling gameplay.

But the first had no pacing at all for the first 2/3d's and was pretty much the same game mechanically, yet it's a lot more fun (to some of us anyway).

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:07 am 

satanic_neumann wrote:
Ah also, i started Xenoblade recently too. Still only several hours in but it feels really promising, i just hope it doesn't turn out to be too long and huge. Personally i like shorter, linear, story driven rpgs...so time will tell if XC's gonna be better than Last Story. Its really a shame that all these great console rpgs are released so late during Wii's lifespan, they will never be more than just cult classics.

Yeah, it took me 67 hours to beat and I did very little of the sidequests. The game is pretty lengthy.

I got about 5 hours into The Last Story and my Wii decided to stop reading dual layer discs. I wasn't really enjoying it if I'm honest. The steelbook edition is lovely though.

I've got Rayman Origins on the go now. It's bloody amazing, why did I not start this earlier.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:38 am 

So it seems Portal 2 hints at some Episode 3 development.
Spoiler: show
(Borealis ring around the dry dock)

Valve better learn how to count to 3 for E3, and not for Left For Dead 3 or some other shit. I have a blood-thirst for combine advisers.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:04 am 

Keep dreaming.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:17 am 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
But the first had no pacing at all for the first 2/3d's and was pretty much the same game mechanically, yet it's a lot more fun (to some of us anyway).

I don't know. I don't like being the guy in a supersuit who goes down after five shots and has to sneak everywhere.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:28 am 

Expedience wrote:
BlindTortureKill wrote:

I would prefer that over getting killed dozens of times at the same location by a hidden Korean in the bushes, which is what Crysis was.

If you got killed dozens of times at the same location by a hidden Korean, your problem-solving skills need serious work. Also, you're terrible at games.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:50 am 

I had no idea Trey Azagthoth from Morbid Angel was a huge Doom/Quake fan. Although I suspected something because Domination's cover art looks straight out of Doom. Apparently he designed a Doom map too.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:34 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
I had no idea Trey Azagthoth from Morbid Angel was a huge Doom/Quake fan. Although I suspected something because Domination's cover art looks straight out of Doom. Apparently he designed a Doom map too.

Ive played Quake with him this one time without realizing it! Original Quake 3 Arena mind you. I used to also be a huge Zdaemon community member and player, known as _Death_

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:08 pm 

Trey was wearing his instagib clan's t-shirt when he hosted an episode of a show on MTV2. Dude's got a passion for id shooters.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413 ... 940  Next