Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:00 pm 

iAm wrote:
Listening to mostly Noise all day has made me feel rather uncomfortable. I should do a "30 days of" documentary type of thing and listen to nothing but Noise for a month straight.

I'd probably end up like Sean Penn by Day 18, being all like, "It's Day 18, and I'm still...still listening...to...to...wouldja just GET THAT FUCKING CAMERA OUT OF MY FACE?!"

cahuich
Chemical Sexican

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:03 pm 

hey wrote:
iAm wrote:
I live in a small town and that's what my weekends have been reduced to. No one does anything around here.

I live in a large city and that's all my weekend consists of as well. :-P

I also live in a big city and that's all my week consists of.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:38 pm 

iAm wrote:
Listening to mostly Noise all day has made me feel rather uncomfortable. I should do a "30 days of" documentary type of thing and listen to nothing but Noise for a month straight.

That's fucked. Harsh noise? Power Electronics? Atrax Morgue type bullshit?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:51 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
iAm wrote:

Everything from 70's No Wave to Sound Collages. I'm gonna see if I can do it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:56 pm 

Good luck and Godspeed mate! I wouldn't be able to pull it off.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:43 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMgHryKZ ... ure=relmfu

holy fuck this video makes me appreciate Steve Harris and bass alot more

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:43 am 

Noise for a month straight? That may have slight implications on your wellbeing. Keep a journal.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:30 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
You ain't cool enough.

some crumbs

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:15 am 

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/nikeagogo123/800px-Merzbox.jpg merzbox heavy rotation should do the job

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:26 am 

Is it just me or do people have more trouble explaining why brutal death and slam is good? In the brutal death metal thread there is almost no musical description in people's posts, and this doesn't seem to be nearly as bad in the other genre threads. I personally find a lot of brutal death and slam to all sound the same and boring but maybe that is just me.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:31 am 

I think it's on you. If you have listened to it and you didn't like it why the hell is it up to anyone else to explain to you why it's good.

it's just the same if you want to argue with the people above you why you hate noise.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:25 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I think it's on you. If you have listened to it and you didn't like it why the hell is it up to anyone else to explain to you why it's good.

it's just the same if you want to argue with the people above you why you hate noise.

I do enjoy noise. However a month straight of it might be too much for anyone.

Day two begins.

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:27 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Is it just me or do people have more trouble explaining why brutal death and slam is good? In the brutal death metal thread there is almost no musical description in people's posts, and this doesn't seem to be nearly as bad in the other genre threads. I personally find a lot of brutal death and slam to all sound the same and boring but maybe that is just me.

I don't think we have a dedicated Brutal death metal thread. A death metal thread, yes, but not a brutal death thread exclusively. In the death metal thread, they absolutely do describe the music in musical terms.

I am an occasional listener of brutal and slam death. Brutal death songs are just a short, sometimes simple aural assault. Slam has a similar concept, just with slow, "slamming" riffs.

It's not really all the same if you listen enough, but I do prefer melodic or technical death metal to brutal or slam.
iAm wrote:
Day two begins.

Have fun! :thumbsup:
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:29 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:

That first one was surprisingly not as mind rapingly shitty as the rest of the Atrax Morgue I've heard. It was just boring. The second one was pretty cool just flat out harsh as fuck noise. Seriously though, Atrax Morgue makes me want to burn my ears off.

Also, Pbsisbad, we don't need a thread exclusively for Brutal Death. We have this though: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85549 which might as well be the same thing. It's pretty much a list thread but I'm assuming it's gone on for so long because people provide actual explanations and discussions about the albums.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:35 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

:durr: You missed my point.

pbsisbad wrote:
]I don't think we have a dedicated Brutal death metal thread. A death metal thread, yes, but not a brutal death thread exclusively. In the death metal thread, they absolutely do describe the music in musical terms.

I am an occasional listener of brutal and slam death. Brutal death songs are just a short, sometimes simple aural assault. Slam has a similar concept, just with slow, "slamming" riffs.

It's not really all the same if you listen enough, but I do prefer melodic or technical death metal to brutal or slam.

I'm referring to this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85549

And that is how I feel with brutal death and slam when I listen to it and why it all sounds too similar to me. So I don't get why there is such an array of enjoyable and disappointing bands like all the other genres have if the formula is so simple and less varied.

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:43 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
I'm referring to this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85549

You're right. There's almost no actual musical discussion.
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:57 pm 

That thread isn't even about people's favorite brutal death albums anymore. Now, it's just a "let's list the album I've just listened to since I downloaded the leak on slammingbrutaldeath earlier today" type thread.

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:29 pm 

LlamaTrainer wrote:
Speaking of Ereb Altor, is there any news regarding their album that's going to be released this year? Apparently back in January they finished recording it, but there hasn't been any news since.

There was no word from the band regarding the new album at the show yesterday, but they played two new tracks and it seems as if they turned to a more black metal formula. It was really surprising to hear lots of delicate blasting, the bassist screaming his lungs out and fast melodic tremolo riffs by the same band that released "By Honour", but it was a pleasant surprise. I don't think Ereb Altor have lost their epic scope and I'm positive about the new record.

Later on I will write more about the whole evening in the live reviews thread.

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:36 pm 

Just got auto-sniped out of the clear, 100-copy limited LP edition of Falkenbach's Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty. Pissed as fuck. On the upside, though, I got Wyrd's Heathen on grey splatter vinyl (limited to 300 copies).

My DeviantArt
My old band/project

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:06 pm 

I just bought Windir's four full length albums for $5 a piece and $6 for the Valfar, ein Windir comp. I honestly haven't heard that much of their material but I remember it being badass and the amount of positive reviews on here is staggering.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:14 pm 

I used to really love Windir, but I havent listened to them in years and no longer have any of their albums. Maybe its time to go hunting for them and rekindle an old flame.
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:16 pm 

Can't really say I've ever really been into Viking Metal stuff.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:21 pm 

Windir is at the top of the genre though, they're simply amazing. Arntor is my favorite album from them.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:23 pm 

Always found both Windir and Tyr to be coma-inducing, personally. Never got what was supposed to be good about them.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:29 pm 

I wouldn't compare Tyr with Windir, they're just too different, Tyr is progressive metal with folk elements, Windir is more based in black metal and they're more respected, renowned and influential in their genre.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:30 pm 

@ Morrigan Same here. Don't really get the rabid enthusiasm re: Windir, though parts of certain albums seemed pretty neat. 1184 was probably the one that stood out the most to me, though I've only heard scattered tracks from each record. Just wasn't really encouraged to listen to more due to whatever I heard from Windir.

As for Tyr, all I needed to see to write them off forever was the video for "Hail to the Hammer." Charmingly terrible, though I wouldn't be one to bash on anyone for liking them. They seem kinda fun, at least, if you're in the mood for that sort of thing.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:33 pm 

Crick wrote:
I used to really love Windir, but I havent listened to them in years and no longer have any of their albums. Maybe its time to go hunting for them and rekindle an old flame.

Same here. I used to love this stuff, but it has been years since I listened to Windir.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:09 pm 

I always thought of Windir as being more cowboy than viking, yee-haw!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ9bk5fP74Q

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:18 pm 

I never understood the association of folk with Windir, it is negligible at best. Likferd, and Antor still get repeated plays around here.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:37 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Always found both Windir and Tyr to be coma-inducing, personally. Never got what was supposed to be good about them.

Same with me and Týr, I didn't find it appalling or anything but the music didn't do anything to me.

Windir is alright, especially the last two albums. Much of it is repetitive and the music isn't always very exciting, but the best moments are quite great.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:41 pm 

I would like to thank you all for discussing Windir. Listening to them for the first time right now; this is the perfect mix of black metal and a small amount of folk that I've always wanted to hear.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:32 pm 

Have we got a writing thread? I searched for one and didn't see it, but I could have sworn that we already had one...

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:38 pm 

I haven't been listening to much pagan metal at all in the past few months, but Windir are definitely a band I still find awesome. Manegarm, Thyrfing, Windir, Myrkgrav, Kampfar. That's the good shit.

~Guest 256486
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:03 pm 

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20 ... gadeth.htm
:rolleyes:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:26 pm 

We should take pity on the kind of people who spend their free time writing that sort of drivel, as it must be physically painful to be that ignorant and delusional. If anything, the only blasphemous thing in that article is how sucky a couple of the records mentioned there are, namely Thirteen and God Hates Us All.

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:00 pm 

What's up, bros? I used to post on these boards in '08-'09, don't think I was particularly memorable but I wrote a few reviews. I'm glad MA v2 finally got off the ground =D haha
we sail across the sea!

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:10 pm 

Welcome back.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:12 pm 

Wra1th1s wrote:
What's up, bros? I used to post on these boards in '08-'09, don't think I was particularly memorable but I wrote a few reviews. I'm glad MA v2 finally got off the ground =D haha

I remember you from when I was a lurker here. Welcome back dude.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:27 pm 

So how did you all celebrate Zombie Day today?

Spoiler: show
lol sacreliege

Crackerblower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:37 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361 ... 827  Next