* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:22 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
StevenWright wrote:
being the greatest slam dm band is like being the smartest person with down syndrome

Yes, but sometimes the mentally impaired make up for their weaknesses by having other capabilities far beyond those of the average person. Slam bands may not really stand for the intellectual image that metal loves to uphold for itself, but fuck if the genre hasn't created some of the catchiest, most brutally punishing music to ever exist.

+1 :thumbsup:

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:33 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
StevenWright wrote:
being the greatest slam dm band is like being the smartest person with down syndrome

Yes, but sometimes the mentally impaired make up for their weaknesses by having other capabilities far beyond those of the average person. Slam bands may not really stand for the intellectual image that metal loves to uphold for itself, but fuck if the genre hasn't created some of the catchiest, most brutally punishing music to ever exist.

That's something I'd expect someone defending deathcore to say; I don't see what's so 'punishing' over generally boring music that lacks, for the most part, musical complexity. Catchy-ness also sounds like an excuse to like simple/bad music (think about why people like Pantera). I do like BDM though, but only Tech-BDM.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:10 pm 

I thought you left.

Why does anything need complexity? That is the flimsiest criterion for the quality of music.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:28 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
I thought you left.

Why does anything need complexity? That is the flimsiest criterion for the quality of music.

It doesn't but if you're going to be incredibly simplistic do it in a decent way, something slam dm fails to do

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:13 pm 

StevenWright wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
I thought you left.

It doesn't but if you're going to be incredibly simplistic do it in a decent way, something slam dm fails to do

Okay, now you'd better give us an example of how to tastefully pull off simplicity in music or you're going to look like a dum-dum. Either way it works fine for me - most slam I know is pretty simple in the riffing style, I'll give you that, but as a genre it typically avoids repetition of riffs and tends to dabble in non-4/4 time signatures more often than other breeds of death metal. It's "simple" in the same way drone is simple - it's easy to play but has boatloads going on in terms of atmosphere and experimentation.

And if you think slam has never done anything experimental, click this.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:18 pm 

A lot of us like slam and a lot of us think it sounds stupid with the riffing style, burping vocals and breakdowns. I'm in the latter category but opinions are opinions and you are not going to change each others minds. I also thought this was a favorite brutal death metal albums thread so no idea why people are attempting to argue against the style...

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:51 pm 

Ah, I remember the egocentric era of my teenage years where I thought my opinion was right.

Metal_Fayyaz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:14 pm 

when talking about BDM or Death metal in general, I've managed to come with a big four of death metal version of mine and currently have all their albums stacked in my metal library :

The Mighty DEATH
The Gory CANNIBAL CORPSE
The Purveyor SUFFOCATION
The Blasphemic DEICIDE

:headbang:

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:17 pm 

Metal_Fayyaz wrote:
when talking about BDM or Death metal in general, I've managed to come with a big four of death metal version of mine and currently have all their albums stacked in my metal library :

The Mighty DEATH
The Gory CANNIBAL CORPSE
The Purveyor SUFFOCATION
The Blasphemic DEICIDE

That'd be a decent enough list if more than one of those bands you mentioned was brutal death metal.

Metal_Fayyaz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:21 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
That'd be a decent enough list if more than one of those bands you mentioned was brutal death metal.

alright what about these :

GORELUST - Reign Of Lunacy
DEEPRED - Prophetic Luster
VOMIT REMNANTS - Supreme Entity
CYANOSIS - Method

some of the highest ranking of BDM of my fave

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:54 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:

Okay, now you'd better give us an example of how to tastefully pull off simplicity in music or you're going to look like a dum-dum. Either way it works fine for me - most slam I know is pretty simple in the riffing style, I'll give you that, but as a genre it typically avoids repetition of riffs and tends to dabble in non-4/4 time signatures more often than other breeds of death metal. It's "simple" in the same way drone is simple - it's easy to play but has boatloads going on in terms of atmosphere and experimentation.

And if you think slam has never done anything experimental, click this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI6TTmU09Ok

Except the really good drone bands know how to create an atmosphere and tell a story etc and 20min+ songs are harder to play.

Also, it's going to take more than a few samples and heavy reverb to impress me.

Last edited by StevenWright on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:57 am 

Adriankat wrote:
Ah, I remember the egocentric era of my teenage years where I thought my opinion was right.

Not all opinions are equal

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:50 am 

Are you going to make a constructive contribution to the thread or are you going to continue to derail it with opinions nobody asked for?

On topic:

Yattering - Human's Pain

I've been really enjoying Yattering's debut. It's not something I'm listening to flat-out but there's some very thick, malicious riffing that's at times pretty catchy. The dual vocal thing they had going on works out pretty well too.

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:01 am 

Foxx wrote:
Are you going to make a constructive contribution to the thread or are you going to continue to derail it with opinions nobody asked for?

On topic:

Yattering - Human's Pain

I've been really enjoying Yattering's debut. It's not something I'm listening to flat-out but there's some very thick, malicious riffing that's at times pretty catchy. The dual vocal thing they had going on works out pretty well too.

cough
StevenWright wrote:
Mindly Rotten-The Most Exquisite Agonies

But I really only like Tech-BDM

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:04 am 

That's hardly a free ticket to pop in and complain about slam for about half a page, riling people up in the process.

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:09 am 

Lol this is pot calling the kettle black at it's best and by the way debating =/= complaining

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:12 am 

:lol: I don't think you understand what being hypocritical means if you think I fit the bill, but whatever. I'm not going to encourage you further.

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:19 am 

Encourage what? A simple debate you have nothing to do with?

And because this looks like a contribute-more-bands-or-you're-banned

Bohema-Eternal Slaves

Amentia- Incurable Disease

Anomalous-Ohmnivalent

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:39 am 

Well I, and other people as well, do refer to threads like this for ideas for what to purchase or download (as I was doing, as well as thinking of something to contribute) so precipitating a bunch of quote-unquote-debate about slam by calling it retarded was rather annoying. It derails the thread from the original intent, which is explicitly outlined in the OP - not to mention that you butted in to voice your opinion on slam (just sayin'). Oh well. I'm getting a bit too close to mini-modding so I'll stop here, and I might check out those bands you suggested in that post there.

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:59 am 

I wasn't calling it retarded, my main focus is what Slam lacks in the music category so I see no point in bothering with it. I also don't see the logic in being able to say something is good, but not being able to say that something is bad; that's ignorance. Although this is a thread for BDM, not a place of worship for Slam, I don't think I've done anything wrong.

Anyways, not what I've been typically posting but still fairly technical BDM

Sarcolytic- Thee Arcane Progeny

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:05 am 

StevenWright wrote:

Anomalous-Ohmnivalent

Love this record, but im hard pressed to call it "brutal death" this is one of those bands that kinda sits in its own genre, too prog and djenty for brutal death and not burpy enough vocals haha.

Ive been really getting into Lividity- Too Desecrate and Defile, super groovy BDM,
Blasphemer- On the Inexistance of God, blazing fast BDM that slams the sickness, oh and the newest Gorgasm still rules.

DeadXManiac wrote:
Benton's the T-Pain of death metal.

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:21 am 

Meh, I'd say Prog-BDM if anything.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:11 pm 

Slam is nowhere near as brutal as rapid and varied brutal death metal as a whole, bands such as Sepsism, Gorgasm, and Divine Empire are far more intense than the likes of bands such as Cerebral Incubation and Vulvectomy who just utilize chug riffs. As a whole though, the music would be a lot better if the vocals weren't trendy piggy vocals, and I would listen to a lot more of the genre if the vocalists sounded like Frank Mullen. Oh and Malignant, Suffocation are brutal death metal you goon =p

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:47 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Oh and Malignant, Suffocation are brutal death metal you goon =p

Yeah, I know. Read how I worded that again.
Quote:

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:03 pm 

yo malignant, didn't 'tripsy just release a split for there russian tour? Any word on if there new songs or just shit from the promo? M-A doesnt have it listed on their page.

DeadXManiac wrote:

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:11 pm 

deicidefan wrote:
yo malignant, didn't 'tripsy just release a split for there russian tour? Any word on if there new songs or just shit from the promo? M-A doesnt have it listed on their page.

I...actually didn't hear anything about that, but on the live videos I've seen from their Russian tour, they're only playing songs from the promo. *shrug* I'll take a safe guess and say that if the band were playing brand new songs, they'd go ahead and make a fancy announcement about it.

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:35 pm 

http://www.devourmentforum.com/index.php?topic=5542.90

Found a link to the cover art on the Devo forum, seems like nobody really knows the track listing and whatnot, pretty badass artwork tho.

DeadXManiac wrote:

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:41 pm 

StevenWright wrote:
Mindly Rotten-The Most Exquisite Agonies

But I really only like Tech-BDM

I bought this a few years ago blindly and it blew me away.

Second album is somehow even better. Although artwork is terrible.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:19 pm 

The Vile Conception by Hour of Penance.
Album comes in tops for me.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:21 pm 

More on the Technical BDM side with both of these:

Recueil Morbide - Only Hate Left (2011)

Scrambled Defuncts - Hackled In Gore (2005)

Charlo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:58 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
Scrambled Defuncts - Hackled In Gore (2005)

Have you checked out the newer Scrambled Defuncts? It's actually symphonic slam death, which works about as well as you would think (not very well at all).

Anyway, I just found out about another Russian band, 7 H.Target, and they fucking slay. The snare drum sounds like a piece of sheet metal being hit with a can opener, which is a good thing. They have a lot of Wormed-style progressive sections and also some utterly debilitating slams. The slam at the three-minute mark of "Hara-Kiri Torture Mechanism" is the heaviest ten seconds of music that my undeserving mortal eardrums have ever been harassed with.

However, my favorite at the moment would probably have to be Defeated Sanity - Psalms of the Moribund. The production on that album is perfect.

*EDIT* I just noticed somebody else already posted 7 H.Target. Damn, I'm impressed!

CrueltyJuggernaut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:02 am 

Am the only one that doesn't consider Hour of Penance (and similar bands) to be brutal death metal? I just think it's death metal with a lot of blastbeats. I only really find the American-rooted style (palm-muted, gutturals, etc) can really be considered "brutal."

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:02 pm 

CrueltyJuggernaut wrote:
Am the only one that doesn't consider Hour of Penance (and similar bands) to be brutal death metal? I just think it's death metal with a lot of blastbeats. I only really find the American-rooted style (palm-muted, gutturals, etc) can really be considered "brutal."

Amen. About half of the DM classified as "technical brutal death metal" has no slams, no guttural vocals...practically nothing tying it to the BDM scene.

Also:
lennonlikesmetal wrote:
I bought this a few years ago blindly and it blew me away.

Second album is somehow even better. Although artwork is terrible.

:lol: Dude, that's the second time you've more-or-less posted that exact same comment in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=1967670#p1967670

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:56 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
:lol: Dude, that's the second time you've more-or-less posted that exact same comment in this thread

:old: Damn crazy kids

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:50 pm 

You guys want to hear trashy brutal death done right? Behold!

I happen to like these guys a lot more than their level of talent should warrant. Something about their music is just really...charming.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:50 pm 

I like how 'charming' is used as an adjective to describe slam. :p

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:00 am 

that's an amazing cover but the song was awful

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:17 am 

Antropofagus - Architecture Of Lust (2012)

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:22 am 

DEVOUR THE UNBORN

digging this debut alot!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:38 am 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
DEVOUR THE UNBORN

Nice. I was just listening to that. It's pretty filthy. :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next