Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShadowSlayer95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:29 pm 

Woodchuck Hard Cider 5% was pretty refreshing, albeit the cider taste was lacking slightly, but I liked the flavor, really stands out. In Michigan, it costs about $9 so I advise it.

I drank some Badass and I'll admit, it's not not the most pleasant. IMO, the taste is better than Miller and Bud Light, but the taste of water was consistent and not too thick. But, it had a good finish and pretty inexpensive.

Finally, the last contribution I have for my first post is Magic Hatter. A nice crisp taste and a clean finish. One of the better bears I have in my collection.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:03 am 

InfektedBlut wrote:
This is my current favorite;

Yes, all hail. Been on an Old Rasputin kick lately. Very drinkable Russian imperial stout from the North Coast brewing company. High ABV too.
Death metal is eternal.

Zakillah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:10 am 

Westmalle Tripel is badass! Fuck the Reinheitsgebot, we´ll just add sugar to get MORE ALCOHOL!!

AlcoholicMayhem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:19 pm 

There's nothing better than a cold beer!!

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:18 pm 

I prefer Westmalle Dubbel myself; the tripel is too peppery. Of course, I like my tripels a bit on the sweeter side.

This oddball ale is the most recent beer to blow me away. 2011 batch of this:

They've never made any two batches of this the same. The first two (or three?) batches were a fresh quad blended with a quad aged in bourbon barrels with cherries; the fresh:aged ratio varied by batch. Last year, the whole thing was aged in bourbon barrels with cherries, though it was a blend of different aged batches (anywhere from a month old to a year old). This year, the cherries went in first during primary fermentation, then the beer was aged in bourbon barrels. Most of the cherry flavor got fermented out, leaving just some residual cherry sugar.

All in all, this was a pretty damn balanced beer, not the cheap bourbon-bomb flavor you get with so many bbl beers. Plenty of figs from the Belgian yeast, some vanilla and oak from the barrel treatment, and a hint of cherry.

Cioci
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:31 am 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
Been on an Old Rasputin kick lately. Very drinkable Russian imperial stout from the North Coast brewing company. High ABV too.

Old Rasputin is great. As a metalhead, I must add that it's best enjoyed after being in a mosh pit at a basement concert. Or even before.... Just not during. Doesn't end well.

One day.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:50 am 

Bought a mix sixer tonight in celebration of moving into our new apartment. I'll start drinking on them tomorrow. A couple I've already had, a few I am excited to have for the first time.

Left to Right:
BBC DARK STAR PORTER
HIGHLAND BREWING CO. THUNDERSTRUCK COFFEE PORTER
FORT COLLINS CHOCOLATE STOUT
MAGIC HAT BLACK AS NIGHT LAGER
HIGHLAND BREWING CO. OATMEAL PORTER
TOMMYKNOCKER COCOA PORTER

My Ebay Store

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:41 pm 

Hell yeah, Highland Oatmeal Porter is great. I've not had the Thunderstruck Coffee Porter; how is it?

Man, favorite beer... I really don't know. I greatly miss Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner; for sheer hop awesomeness, that beer was tops for me.

Also not sure about a favorite style. A couple of years ago, it would have been IPA's, probably, the stronger and more bitter, the better. A couple of years before that, it was all about dark, malty beers. Now, hell, I enjoy all extremes (except extremely bad), and everything in between. Lately, I've been in the mood for really hoppy beers again. Enjoyed a couple of Dogfish Head 90-Minute IPA's last night and plan to do the same tonight.

skanktron69
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:46 pm 

All lite beer is awful. I'd rather drink Budweiser which I'm not a huge fan of but I can't talk trash on it because I am drinking one now. BUT if I had a choice and more money to spend I like to go Heineken for imported. Pennsylvania's own Yuengling is one of my favorite, then comes Sam Adams Oktoberfest, Rolling Rock, Guinness and basically any non-lite beer comes after that.

creepshow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:55 am 

I've really been enjoying Innis & Gunn lately. I've had the Original, Blonde and Rum Cask. Good Scottish beers.

Attachment:
innis-and-gunn-890x595.jpg

Thrashedtofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:00 am 

Innis & Gunn is a weird beer. I didn´t like it at all the first time I tried it but after a week or so somehow I had a craving for one more and the taste has grown on me immensely.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:38 am 

The vanilla and butterscotch from the oak is overpowering. Unless they're skunked which they do get very easily. While clear glass makes for a more impressive sight, the danger of getting lightstruck should refrain brewers from using clear glass bottles. A case in point, I recently bought a bottle of Belhaven's Scottish Stout, remembering that it was a good one. I didn't really look at it since it was properly dark and all, but when I got home and popped the crown, I realized that they had switched from dark brown glass to clear. Not from the sight even then mind you, but from the overpowering smell of skunk emanating from the open bottle. So pouring the aroma is dreadful and the bottle is clear and I lament the fact that I now have no good drink for my lamb stew. Fortunately, the skunkiness wasn't too overpowering in the taste as it was in the aroma so it was at least decent and you could clearly taste that it is a good beer underneath. But most of it did go down the drain. A shame.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:21 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
But most of it did go down the drain. A shame.

NNNOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo......oooooOOOOOOOOoaaaaaaa...!

I'll PM you my Bat Phone number. You obviously need it for these occasions.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:50 pm 

Same Nap number, same Nap time!

I will look if Innis and Gunn is available here, looks good.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:17 pm 

If possible, try to find Innis and Gunn somewhere that stores it in the cardboard cases where it isn't exposed to light, it's a lot more bitter/sour when it's exposed to light for an extended period of time. It's always way better on tap because of that.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:08 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Hell yeah, Highland Oatmeal Porter is great. I've not had the Thunderstruck Coffee Porter; how is it?

I've had alot of coffee stouts and porters, and this is by far one of the most genuinely tasting coffee beers I've tried. It has a strong aroma of roasted coffee ground and a dark brown head. The taste is similar to a french roast, with a mild hint of chocolate. The overall taste is almost like a smoky mocha. I really enjoyed it alot. I would give it an 9 out of 10, coming from a guy that really likes dark brews.

My Ebay Store

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:42 pm 

Couple of Rogues I purchased.

My Ebay Store

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:03 am 

Tried the chocolate stout last September. A bit too chocolatey for me and a bit too light on the palate. Not enough of a malt backbone. I guess that's the fault with a lot of beers that have added real chocolate/chocolate flavoring to get the flavor of chocolate into the beer instead of just using a whole bunch of chocolate malts to get the chocolate flavor.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:49 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Tried the chocolate stout last September. A bit too chocolatey for me and a bit too light on the palate. Not enough of a malt backbone. I guess that's the fault with a lot of beers that have added real chocolate/chocolate flavoring to get the flavor of chocolate into the beer instead of just using a whole bunch of chocolate malts to get the chocolate flavor.

I do like the Rogue Chocolate, but I agree, it could use a little more chocolate malt, just for added depth. I find the the only issue with some of the Rogue Ales is the thinness in texture. But the taste is extraordinary ninety nine percent of the time. The prime example would be the Double Dead Guy Ale. It is way too thin for such a bitter strong taste.

My Ebay Store

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:33 pm 

my go to beers right now are Dogfish head - 60 minute IPA, Shelter Pale Ale; Flying Fish - Hopfish; Yards - Philadelphia Pale ale and Magic Hat - #9. Been down to the Dogfish head brew pub in Dewey Beach, DE. Pretty cool spot and they have a ton of random seasonals and special brews you can try. Magic hat is my usual choice at the one bar i go to. Not too much of a fan of porters or stouts, but i will try Guinness every now and then or an imperial stout/espresso stout.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:55 pm 

TheAntagonist wrote:
Magic Hat - 9

That is a great beer, has a very unique almost plum taste.

At long last, I have found the Guinness Foreign Extra. I've been looking for it for about three years. Can't wait to try it.

My Ebay Store

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:27 pm 

Drinking some HopDevil. I've enjoyed every Victory ale I've had.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:24 am 

americanholocaust wrote:
At long last, I have found the Guinness Foreign Extra. I've been looking for it for about three years. Can't wait to try it.

That's decent, but now it's time to get the Special Export - by far the best Guinness.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:08 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
americanholocaust wrote:

That's decent, but now it's time to get the Special Export - by far the best Guinness.

I would love to try the special export. The Foreign Extra was pretty tasty, total Guinness, but the alcohol taste is much stronger than the Extra Stout. The is the primary difference I noticed.

Is the Special Export the one with the orange label? If so, I've always kept my eye out but have never seen it in person.

My Ebay Store

brandon1986
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:53 am 

nice thread
i like lager mostly
pabst,red stripe,fosters,schaefer,narragansett are some of my faves

creepshow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:55 am 

Speaking of Rogue, I quite like their Dead Guy Ale.

Attachment:
Rogue Dead Guy Ale.jpg

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:40 am 

creepshow wrote:

Attachment:
Rogue Dead Guy Ale.jpg

Yes, one of my favorite Rogue's. Their Double Dead Guy I don't really care for though.

My Ebay Store

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:11 am 

Tonight I am enjoying a long time favorite, the Lost Coast 8 Ball stout. Probably the most well rounded oatmeal stout I have tried. The oatmeal taste while prominent, is not strong at all. It's sweeter than Sam Smith, and with less of a bite.. The only other oatmeal stout I've tried that would comparable would be the the Highland Oatmeal, which is still not as smooth as the 8 Ball.. It's hard tracking this down where I am from, so when I do it's a pretty good day. Talked to the vendor, and I think I will have a continual source. I'd like to try more Lost Coast brews, this is the only one I know of.

My Ebay Store

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:03 am 

Attended a real ale festival at a local bar here. Tried a bunch of stuff, but the pièce de résistance was Thornbridge's Bracia. A traditional ale brewed with chestnut honey. Very roasted, quite chocolatey and of course a definite flavor of chestnut honey. Sweet, of course, and strong (10,9% ABV I think) so not to be drunk by the liter, but a sipper to end the night or an excellent choice for a dessert by itself.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:27 pm 

I would just like to give a shout-out to a very strange Midwestern concoction that has no business working, but is actually pretty tasty: Dark Horse Blueberry Stout. It's sort of a "lite imperial" stout, clocking in between 7.5% and 8% alcohol depending on the batch, except brewed with blueberries. The combination of roasted barley and berry flavor works surprisingly well, and it's only $8 for a four pack. Part of their Holiday Stout series that includes a smoked stout (next one I'm trying), a cream stout, an oatmeal stout and an imperial stout.

Large image
Spoiler: show

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:02 pm 

Trying the Newcastle Founder's Ale for the first time. Tastes pretty good. Imagine a Newcastle minus the brown nut and you've got it.

My Ebay Store

Nahui_Ejekatl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:29 am 

Stronthor wrote:
since we're all so satanic and stuff I'll throw in this one:

Brouwerij De Molen Hel En Verdoemenis 666 (Brewery The Mill Hell And Damnation 666)

a very tasty imperial stout, black as fuck with hints of coffee, dark chocolate and liquorice. for this 666th brew the brewer threw a load of oak woodchips which have been soaking in cognac into the kettle. however, by now this beer must be very hard to get, sadly. but hey, at least I've got a 75cl bottle numbered 001 sitting in my room, which will not be opened before the year 2035, according to the brewer it can be stored and aged that long easily :)

Whoa!! That is amazing! I need to get myself some of that!

Nahui_Ejekatl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:30 am 

creepshow wrote:

Attachment:
Rogue Dead Guy Ale.jpg

Just had this about 2 weeks ago. Quite good.

Nahui_Ejekatl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:34 am 

For the last several months I've been hooked on Tsing Tao ( a Chinese beer).

Yesterday I have drunk Stone Brew's "Stone IPA". Really great stuff.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:52 am 

Had a couple good beers tonight.

From Nashville TN, the Blackstone English Styled Nut Brown Ale

From St. Louis MI, The Schlafly Coffee Stout

My Ebay Store

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:17 am 

I've been working through my go tos when I don't have much money (mainly Goose Island and Bell's) and the latest tasty brew I've had was the Ohio Brewing Company's Red Cardinal Ale. A delicious, light-bodied, sour red ale. I'm normally not the biggest red fan, but this particular one had such a tasty palate that I couldn't pass it up.

Also, since I'm sticking to local brews, I just went through an Indigo Imp sampler pack, and was pleasantly surprised by the Gatekeeper. It's a very sour, almost lambec type of ale, but without the overtly fruity overtones, replacing them instead with almost a sour mash/yeast taste. Truly a surprise, and an undeniably delicious beer.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:34 pm 

bought a 4 pack for dirt cheap for my forever arone Valentine's day, decent blond beer. Got a Trois Pistoles with it as well, one of my favorite Unibroue product.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:48 am 

Metantoine wrote:
bought a 4 pack for dirt cheap for my forever arone Valentine's day, decent blond beer. Got a Trois Pistoles with it as well, one of my favorite Unibroue product.

It's about six dollars where I live, but I agree, pretty decent beer. I like how light it was, it drinks like water compared to my normal preferences.. I had it at a BBQ last year. It was a hot sunny day on the lake.. Perfect setting for it if you ask me.

My Ebay Store

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:30 pm 

My good friday beer haul!

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:29 pm 

I'm not usually a big fan of the Belgian's brews but that Triple Karmeleit is unbelievably tasty.

I'm really digging all the new Wheat IPA's that have been springing up over the last few months; Sam Adams, Deschutes/Boulevard's White IPA collab, even Budweiser's Shocktop brand made a solid drink. Eagerly looking forward to Deschutes' interpretation later this year, they usually do IPA's pretty well

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 86  Next