Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:15 am 

http://gojira-music.com/news/item/44-lenfant-sauvage

YES. Can't wait, everything they did was golden.

Discuss, I guess.

Do you guys think their sound will be very different since it's their first album on Roadrunnner? I don't think so.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:17 am 

Well it's about damned time! Been waiting for news on these guys since that EP that was supposed to get released like 2 years ago. Cannot wait for this album, add another to the 2012 list. Something tells me that the label switch won't really lead to a change stylistically. At least not this time around...
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Mimogrede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:28 am 

Yes, I am very excited for anything new from Gojira, since they are in the top of my favorite bands.
I don't think, that their sound will change much, but we'll see, I guess.
However, I am not really sure, what to think about the style of the new artwork (which will probably be somewhere along the lines of http://gojira-music.com/pics/photo-albu ... rs-pack-#1)

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:46 am 

It's been a long time since I've listened to some Gojira, but I am definitely excited for this album. Might have to put on some From Mars to Sirius now...

LeMetalNoire
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:36 pm 

Oh Yes I can't wait. I'm so excited about this. Didn't know they had on coming out. Shoes how much I pay attention to stuff.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:46 pm 

Awesome. One of the few tech-ish bands I like, always finding a balance between intensity and wankery that so many other death metal bands miss. Plus, absolutely adore the title. Wonder if it's connected to the movie?

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:56 pm 

Was about time! Here's me hoping it'll rival FMTS but I seriously doubt that, nevertheless I expect the album to be an absolute killer even though I never get too overexcited about new releases.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:00 pm 

Killer news! But yeah whatever happened with that EP? I recall listening to a track they did with Devin Townsend that was pretty good, but didn’t hear much afterward.

Anyway, looking forward to a new record. They’ve got a distinct sound, good song writing, and Duplantier is really creative behind the kit.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:25 pm 

Looking forward to hearing this even though I didn't like The Way of All Flesh as much as From Mars to Sirius.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

arp12
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:27 pm 

Awesome! I loved their last two albums and it seems like they'll stay with their unique style.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:36 pm 

Amazing news. Gojira is one of my favorite bands, and it's good to hear from them again. Also, When is the Sea shepherd ep going to be released? I loved their collaboration with Devin Townsend, and I'm itching to hear the rest.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:46 pm 

I always liked their cool nautical vibe...even when they incorporate cosmic imagery. It's like the universe itself is viewed as one giant sea, tossing and turning with no reason or compassion. A cold, lifeless movement, from whence all life came but also where all life will return.

Cool stuff. I guess that's why they are one of my faves :lol:

We could turn this into a general Gojira thread....

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:04 pm 

One thing that bugs me about the band (but is rather minor and easily avoided) is press write ups or bios that blather about ‘intelligent’ lyrics. I don’t think the band writes stupid lyrics, but just because lyrics contain an element of environmentalism does not make them intelligent!

Trust me, I know some socially conscious people who are dumb as bricks.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:13 pm 

I just think they are extremely well written. Even if they had no message, I'd still deem them intelligent based on the sort of "prettiness" they have.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:35 pm 

I'll take this Gojira thread as a chance to make a question; which albums do you guys recommend by them? I have only listened thouroughly to FMTS and, even if I really enjoyed what I heard, I haven't taken the time to explore their discography more, so..... Yeah, any highlights you'd like to mention?

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:41 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I'll take this Gojira thread as a chance to make a question; which albums do you guys recommend by them? I have only listened thouroughly to FMTS and, even if I really enjoyed what I heard, I haven't taken the time to explore their discography more, so..... Yeah, any highlights you'd like to mention?

All of them :-D

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:47 pm 

Not to be an asshole with you Smalley, but a more elaborate response would be much more helpful.

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:54 pm 

I personally would recommend From Mars to Sirius, and in particular the song Flying Whales; don't be put off by the title, 'cause it's a damn good song.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:56 pm 

I prefer The Way of All Flesh over FMTS. The Art of Dying is one of my favorite songs ever!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:58 pm 

I love this band for "Backbone". Everything else from the same album bored me. Maybe this album will get me back into them. Any other song by these guys that has the same drive as "Backbone"?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:04 pm 

CapricornSupernaut wrote:
I personally would recommend From Mars to Sirius, and in particular the song Flying Whales; don't be put off by the title, 'cause it's a damn good song.

Scott, I just said that I have listened to FMTS and enjoyed it :lol: And yes, Flying Whales is a ripping song; some of the best, most crushing and headbangeable riffing I have ever heard is to be found there.
Metantoine wrote:
I prefer The Way of All Flesh over FMTS. The Art of Dying is one of my favorite songs ever!

Right now listening to that song..... Yep, I'm checking this bad boy out. Thanks 'toine.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 pm 

I should really listen to this band too. Never have. FMTS it is!

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:23 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I love this band for "Backbone". Everything else from the same album bored me. Maybe this album will get me back into them. Any other song by these guys that has the same drive as "Backbone"?

Even "The Heaviest Matter in all the Universe" bored you?! I suggest at least giving that song another listen, personally I can't keep myself from headbanging to it. :P

As for tracks along the same line as "Backbone", try "Adoration For None", "Yama's Messengers", and maybe "Esoteric Surgery" off of TWoaF? Give "Embrace the World" off of The Link a listen as well, I find it also had a bit of a Backbone-esque vibe to it.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:59 am 

Metantoine wrote:

Eff yes! 'The Art of Dying' is such an amazing song. The last section before the outro gives me goosebumps.

Also, as IX Leviathan said, 'Yama's Messengers' is another great song from The Way of All Flesh. When I heard they did a collab with Devin Townsend I thought of this song and knew it would be a good match. That one riff reminds me of 'Love?', but then they kick it up in the last blasting section for a rousing finish. Killer stuff.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:28 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Eff yes! 'The Art of Dying' is such an amazing song. The last section before the outro gives me goosebumps.

Just listened to this song. Dogshit. The intro with the clickity-clacky crap went on way too long, and the song felt like riffs jumping up and down. The snare sound also sucks, and nothing about that outro even hinted at giving me goosebumps. What the hell? I'm not even bashing you for liking it, it's just these guys do nothing for me.

"The Heaviest Matter in all the Universe" is the same. Just boring, overly loud heaviness that goes nowhere. "Adoration For None" had some ok build-ups but then it dulls down and that outro takes forever to shut the fuck up. "Embrace the World" embraced the suck in under a minute. So bad.

"Esoteric Surgery" and "Yama's Messengers"... were not bad. They had some cool moments and correctly-arranged intensity without losing themselves.

To me these guys sound like harsher Devin Townsend music at times (sounds like other bands, too - too lazy to specify). So in essence I SHOULD like it but I don't. It's like their tracks are too long and / or their albums have a couple extra tracks that they didn't need.

I was well-prepared to tell this band to go fuck themselves after 3 straight bombs but they sort of neutralized it with two ok tracks. Now they get a third chance from me.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:35 am 

Try out "Flying Whales", then; fuckin EPIC.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:41 am 

Smalley wrote:
Try out "Flying Whales", then; fuckin EPIC.

FMTS is the first album I heard from the band, and I didn't like most of it then (2008) - including that track. Checked it out again now. Not terrible, but takes too long to get going. Same problem of tracks being too long for their own good. There's something deeper - like there's no soul to anything. Doesn't help that the majority of the song is dicking around.

Celtic Frost sort of had this problem with me when I heard songs like "Progeny". Sounded very mechanical and lifeless, but that went away. Triptykon had a somewhat similar issue, but it was instantly relieved thanks to the atmosphere and this primal craving it created. These guys have NOTHING going for them besides whatever groove attempts to make a hook.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:57 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Absolutely! A glorious song, gives me chills every time. ^OzzyApu, I've always thought that the length of the intro is what makes the song itself so amazing - the interminable drumming lulls you into a false sense of secuity, believing that nothing will happen, which makes the initial guitar hit such a wonderfully exciting jolt. While I can't understand anyone being bored with that song, I'd have to second IX Leviathan's recs; listen to "The Link", which is an overall heavier record than either FMTS or TWOAF (double shot for those of you playing the acronym drinking game). I generally prefer it to the other records for that reason, though by the same token it does lack some of the hauntingly melancholic guitarwork that make songs on FMTS so memorable.

I truly can't wait for the new record; Gojira is one of my all-time favourite bands. I don't think there'll be too many RR-related sound changes, or at least I hope there won't be. These days, record companies don't seem to have as much of an influence as they used to, and, anyway ,despite RR being responsible for a lot of shite, quite a few bands - Obituary, Type O, Malevolent Creation, etc - managed to maintain a decent quality when they released material through RR.

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
I just think they are extremely well written. Even if they had no message, I'd still deem them intelligent based on the sort of "prettiness" they have.

Just had to comment on this, since I've long held the opposite view. Despite loving practically every track this band has ever released, I can't agree that their lyrics are mostly well-written; in my view, this is one of their few weak points. Sure, some songs are utterly, savagely poetic. But there are plenty of truly strange lyrics that just make me shake my head in wonder; like this, from 'Death of Me':
A giant bright eagle has come
on me and taken away my universe
I find myself in trouble now...
I feel the end is near for me my world goodbye
people of the dead, I join you
in this confusion I don't even recall my name
there something inside I want to reveal

There is still an odd poetry in some of Gojira's other weirder lyrics, but it just seems like the words are struggling to keep pace with the grandeur of what the band want to express, and, rather than just letting words flow, the lyrics attempt to expressly articulate sentiments that would be better left as hints.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:33 am 

Calusari wrote:
^OzzyApu, I've always thought that the length of the intro is what makes the song itself so amazing - the interminable drumming lulls you into a false sense of secuity, believing that nothing will happen, which makes the initial guitar hit such a wonderfully exciting jolt. While I can't understand anyone being bored with that song, I'd have to second IX Leviathan's recs; listen to "The Link", which is an overall heavier record than either FMTS or TWOAF (double shot for those of you playing the acronym drinking game). I generally prefer it to the other records for that reason, though by the same token it does lack some of the hauntingly melancholic guitarwork that make songs on FMTS so memorable.

I'm still doubtful. Plus, "The Art of Dying"'s intro felt like it wanted to do what Neurosis was doing, but failed.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:48 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
I'm still doubtful. Plus, "The Art of Dying"'s intro felt like it wanted to do what Neurosis was doing, but failed.

:nono: I guess some things can't be helped.

It's funny that you mentioned Neurosis, actually, since that's one the bands to which I've often responded in the way you react to Gojira; all these people love them and praise their innovation, yet I find them mildly entertaining and somewhat boring. Taste is a strange thing. :wink: If you really don't like any of the songs recommended here, Gojira probably just isn't the band for you; still, I do recommend you listen to "The Link" before you dismiss them entirely.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:28 am 

I prefer The Way Of All Flesh to From Mars To Sirius, too, and seconding or thirding "The Art Of Dying" as a wonderful song.

Looking forward to this.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

6Xul66
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:12 am 

Their best album IMO is FMTS, though I really do love The Link & Terra Incognita as well. I never really liked The Way Of All Flesh, its too much of the same thing and not as aggressive as From Mars... I'm hoping this new one is more in the vein of From Mars or even the 1st two.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:27 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
CorpseFister wrote:

Just listened to this song. Dogshit. The intro with the clickity-clacky crap went on way too long, and the song felt like riffs jumping up and down. The snare sound also sucks, and nothing about that outro even hinted at giving me goosebumps. What the hell? I'm not even bashing you for liking it, it's just these guys do nothing for me.

"The Heaviest Matter in all the Universe" is the same. Just boring, overly loud heaviness that goes nowhere. "Adoration For None" had some ok build-ups but then it dulls down and that outro takes forever to shut the fuck up. "Embrace the World" embraced the suck in under a minute. So bad.

"Esoteric Surgery" and "Yama's Messengers"... were not bad. They had some cool moments and correctly-arranged intensity without losing themselves.

To me these guys sound like harsher Devin Townsend music at times (sounds like other bands, too - too lazy to specify). So in essence I SHOULD like it but I don't. It's like their tracks are too long and / or their albums have a couple extra tracks that they didn't need.

I was well-prepared to tell this band to go fuck themselves after 3 straight bombs but they sort of neutralized it with two ok tracks. Now they get a third chance from me.

Bah, I tried. Maybe this upcoming album will bring something new to the table for you that you'll like :)

LeMetalNoire
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:55 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Yes I agree strongly!!!!

Mimogrede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:56 am 

So, Metal Hammer made a track by track guide... Here it is:

1. Explosia
It only takes Gojira 10 seconds to prove that they are once again back with a record that will melt your ears into a pool of bloody mess. All the classic flavours of the French titans are right where they should be – gargantually brutal riffs, cheeky pick scrapes, pounding rhythms and pulsating ambiences delivered with unwavering dedication. Fuck. Yes. The next hour is shaping up to be something very special indeed.

2. L’Enfant Sauvage
The title track is even faster. Whilst they maintain a perpetual brain-simmering heaviness, there are cleaner melodies that seem to leap out of nowhere and sit above the crushing rhythms, adding a cerebral progressive edge to their signature brand of skull-crushing metal. After three minutes comes a full-on blast of death that echoes the sheer brutality they visited on From Mars To Sirius.

3. The Axe
If Mastodon were more death metal influenced, this is what they would sound like… The Axe carries a searching, torch-bearing sense of pilgrimage with a chorus that is hellishly catchy and wouldn’t sound that out of place on Enslaved’s last record Axioma Ethica Odini. It’s a brooding journey of transcendental, dark spiritualism with background chanting that brings further gloom to this blackened religious experience.

4. Liquid Fire
Liquid Fire picks things up in tempo with apocalyptic sized riffs and Joe Duplantier’s instantly recognisable usage of guitar harmonics. The half-time break in the middle of the song is a great example of how anthemic Gojira can be when they want to.

5. The Wild Healer
The Wild Healer is a short, instrumental track that is pretty mellow for Gojira – it’s atmospheric and spacey. But you know this is just the quiet before the storm. Oh yes, there is a storm….

6. Planned Obsolescence
Planned Obsolescence is a total face-melter, echoing the gloriously heavy, fist-in-the-face noise of Morbid Angel’s Domination but with added intensity. There is another half time chorus on this scorcher that boasts an almost twisted bluesiness.

7. Mouth Of Kala
This is Gojira showing their groovey side, once again stepping out towards the progressive and not far off Mastodon’s heavier work. The blastbeat fury at the end is like what you’d hear if Opeth covered a Tool track in their own style.

8. The Gift Of Guilt
This opens with a tapping lick that is part Angus Young and part Eddie Van Halen, though there’s nothing classic rock about it. The massive chorus here could be the catchiest Gojira have ever written.

9. Pain Is A Master
Another ambient excursion off into more progressive realms. Pain Is A Master lures the listener to a false sense of security… this lullaby turns into a death metal nightmare very, very quickly.

10. Born In Winter
The shimmering structures of Born In Winter are a definite highlight on this record, sculpting evocative manifestations and lofty musical circles around the listener.

11. The Fall
The Fall starts off like something off Nine Inch Nail’s The Fragile before evolving into an acid-marinated anthem that is dark, psychedelic and sickeningly heavy. Welcome back, Gojira!

Definitely sounds interesting :)

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:26 pm 

I gotta say I really enjoyed The Way of All Flesh.. wasn't so sure I would dig this band but I really enjoy their songwriting. Need to check out the rest and from what's being said about the new one it sounds promising.

BlackMarketVinyl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:05 pm 

CapricornSupernaut wrote:

it is indeed a great song. From Mars to Sirius is Gojira's best full-length album in my opinion.
I am not too excited about their upcoming material, a change of direction would be great. I got bored of The Way of All Flesh after 2 listens.

6Xul66
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:01 pm 

that track by track breakdown sounds extremely interesting, the descriptions seem to indicate something that I was hoping for in this new album, so hopefully I won't be disappointed

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:45 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3--gQgIC ... AAAAAAAQAA

New footage from the recording proces.

Mimogrede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:49 am 

I liked some of the drum parts and riffs, and the vocal recording was fun even tho I know it'll sound awesome when put together, my anticipation is rising :)

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next