Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
atgunn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:29 pm 

I had sent in a review of First Strikes Rock of Offense album
It was rejected as not a musical review. My review was about how the record company did not promote or wide release an album that was made for the tastes of 1984 as opposed to avant-garde albums Exit was pushing ahead of Hard Rock. I did not know they were looking for a song by song analysis. My statements were based on inside info as I am the lead vocalist on Rock of Offense. As a member of First Strike and album performer, a song by song review would be inappropriate and conceited. Biased even. I was offerering a look at the why's. And where's and hows of this albums history and demise. I feel I have some legitimate opinions regarding that part. Someone else has to rate the music. My review was historical. Sincerely. Tony Gunn.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:49 pm 

Questions about review should be posted in the reviews forum: viewforum.php?f=4
edit: thread has been moved.

I'm not sure on the rules regarding reviewing your own album - a site moderator will need to fill you in on that.

atgunn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:56 pm 

As far a review, someone else can listen and comment. After nearly 30yrs probably all that can be said has been. As I stated I was offering history on the album and label as their has been decades of misinformation that has made a decent album secondary to the rumors and misinformation. Truth about label mishandling was long overdue. A review hasn't been done due to little interest because of no label support. Yet we did have SOMEWHAT of a canvass as we are discussed on forums and pirated quite frequently. Maybe some fan from the 80s can review. Or maybe someone that has copied the album off the many sites offering the album sans compensation to copyrighted artists.

atgunn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:11 am 

BTW. Despite moderator opinion, I doubt any writer of iTunes blurbs would have any in depth Exit Records info unless they were privy to Exit artists opinions or had been involved in Exit -A&M-Island records as a team member or recording artist.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:39 am 

THat information seems like it would be better suited to be added to the specific release's "aditional info" and not added as a review.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:25 am 

orionmetalhead wrote:
THat information seems like it would be better suited to be added to the specific release's "aditional info" and not added as a review.

He should just write an article for his website about it. The predominant if not sole purpose of metal-archives reviews is musical description and critique.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:16 pm 

atgunn,

First, thank you for contributing information on your band. When it comes to earlier established bands, such as First Strike, information can be scarce. Having you available as a source is greatly appreciated. We have an "Additional Notes" section for bands and for albums where miscellaneous historical information, as you gave in your review, would be better suited. Normally, the best route for updating band or album information is to send in a report, and then a moderator or a senior contributor can add it. If you wish, posting that information here is OK and we will add as much as we can, as is fit.

With reviews, we aim to accept those with mainly musical description. That doesn't mean a "song by song" description of the album, but it does mean that the review has to be talking about the music itself (and not about facts surrounding the music, that's for other areas of the band's page). It might seem confusing and unduly frustrating, but over time we figured this was the best way of organizing the band pages.

I would be more than happy to help you with updates to the band page. In fact, looking at the band page there's all sorts of questions that could be asked:

Could you provide a bio for the band?
Do you remember the years from when the members played (when they started and left)?
Do you know if any of the band members, including yourself, had any other projects?
When and why did the band leave Exit (this could go along with Exit not wanting to promote)?
Why did the band split-up?
When and where was Rock of Offense recorded? How much was released? In what format? Was it ever reissued and if so when?
Are there publicly available lyrics to the songs?
Do you remember the line-ups for the album and the demo? Do you have catalogue numbers for them?
Do you have a photo of the band you could upload?
Any anecdotes to go along with the albums/band? Has anyone passed who was with the band at any point in time?
Know of any links to reviews/interviews of the band or its albums on other sites?

atgunn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:21 pm 

Thank you. I will get a list of info to you that may be helpful. It can also be useful in understanding the working of a avant-garde label releasing a metal/hard rock album. (Very strange) and would be a interesting story about label domination of bands in the "vinyl" era. To the poster/reviewers on this site, I am fully aware this is a fan review site and that is refreshing as I have been down the "professional critic" road of paid reviewers from many publications. People with no musical skills with a soapbox to pick apart an album. In most cases they weren't even rock fans. It would be good to be reviewed by music fans, not pro journalists. I will info. Then maybe someone will that has heard the album can give a honest appraisal. Thanks for your advice. Tony Gunn.

atgunn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:59 pm 

To Anthropophagus. BTW. adding additional notes will be helpful to upcoming musicians. I wish I had read more band histories and info on what to expect from labels and mgmt. Good to fill in gaps in band info. We disappeared. That happens and people are left to scratch their.heads and wonder why. BUT after 30 years I was convinced to do a project with a new partner and a backup band. On our terms. No more label domination. If we succeed its on us. If we fail it's honest. But either way it is FAN driven completely. No good music left on the table from extraneous reasons game playing. How it should be. A band should live or die by fans. Period. I will supply First Strike additional notes. I will ask for someone to review the album "that I hope will be unbiased" someone that has not heard it before and have them do it on this site so something is available to go with the bands page. As a pioneer Christian band that was to be crossover and not Christian only it has value as an oddity and artifact from another time. At least we stuck to our guns and didn't say Jesus this or God that. And we didn't plagiarize large parts of the Bible. LOL. Just a little in album title. I understand you are busy, as am I . I look forward to working with you my friend. Thanks for the chance to add notes to missing info that is needed after alot of time. Sincerely, Tony Gunn.

Reply to topic