Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Great_God_Pan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:28 am 

So... Manowar are finally bringing out a new album after five years, though it was promised in 2009. Recently they have posted a preview of a new song called "El Gringo".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JOqDxJ5trY

Seems they are letting go off Norse mythology and it's awesome. The only thing that worries me on that preview are the drums, too generic like in their latest records, now that they have Donnie back in the band drumming should be insane on the album. I really hope it's not the final version of the song and I also hope they stick to the massive production they got in Battle Hymns MMXI.
I'm almost sure it won't be called Hammer of the Gods either.

Don't know what you guys think, but I'm way too excited about this.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:43 am 

Sounding good. I'm thinking the drums are perhaps sort of just place-holders - perhaps Donnie is going to go over his tracks later and record stuff with fills and that, now that rhythmically everything is down pat. Sounds far too simple for them to think it sounds good.

I'm digging the lyrical direction, too. Sounds a bit more like a lot of the more rock n' roll/traditional metal themes touched on initially with stuff like Shellshock and Death Tone.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:21 am 

So much for 'The Asgard Saga' then. So much hype and so very little content. And I say that as an avowed fan who owns all their albums.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:58 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
Sounding good. I'm thinking the drums are perhaps sort of just place-holders - perhaps Donnie is going to go over his tracks later and record stuff with fills and that, now that rhythmically everything is down pat. Sounds far too simple for them to think it sounds good..

You heard the drums on Gods of War, right? Manowar are definitely willing to use the most boring drum sounds/playing imaginable nowadays. New Manowar? Eh, it doesn't really have any good riffs, does it?

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:12 am 

The preview sounds very boring. Oh how I wish we could still hear the more clever and idiosyncratic songwriting like in Gates of Valhalla or Secret of Steel. Sigh.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:15 am 

The_Erlking wrote:
The preview sounds very boring. Oh how I wish we could still hear the more clever and idiosyncratic songwriting like in Gates of Valhalla or Secret of Steel. Sigh.

I think I saw one guy in the crowd on the left moving his leg a bit to the...beat.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:54 am 

What I could make out of that one minute, was that it reminded me most of Louder Than Hell. In any case, I'll be glad if the album doesn't contain any would-be epic interludes as Gods of War did. And it looks like Hammer of the Gods has been abandoned, I suppose that's a good sign.
Facebook wrote:
Q: What will the title of the album be?

Joey: I would tell you but then I would have to kill you.

And I agree with OP that it will be a good thing if they let the Norse mythology slide.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:12 pm 

Write faster songs.

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:58 pm 

Derp.

I feel that sufficiently sums the entire debacle up.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:18 pm 

Strange, guys..not even giving us a full song, or anything really grandiose to grab onto, but the most typical of descending progressions with the vocals following the guitar and bass precisely in terms of melody used. I didn't actually think that was bad; reminded me a little of the beginning of "Revelation, Death's Angel" or something, but as a tantalising teaser/appetite whetter/excitement builder this is pretty much useless. They should hire a new PR person....
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

The_Great_God_Pan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:53 pm 

I agree with the post above.
The song sounds a bit like a follow-up to 'Outlaw'. The reason I'm hyped about this is because Manowar is my favourite band, so that can never be bad ;)

Hope Joey sticks to the "the album will sound like somebody put gasoline on your balls and lit it" thingy.

Last edited by The_Great_God_Pan on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:12 pm 

Maybe the other parts of the song are more interesting, but this minute teaser is dull beyond belief for me. Manowar are at their best when they're writing stuff like Wheels of Fire, Animal, and or Fight Until We Die. Aggressively in your face and powerful. The last album didn't do much to impress me and this one likely won't be either.

bladerunnerblues
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:09 pm 

Considering that those are Manowar fans in that clip..though their in a studio and not an arena,I'd expect at least some fist pumping and head banging.Most of them just stood there as if they were thinking,"I came all that way for this"?

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:56 pm 

Nah, in order to truly comprehend the massive endeavor that a Manowar song is one must first relax, close their eyes and feel the music. Afterwords comes the head banging and fist pumping.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:58 pm 

bladerunnerblues wrote:
Considering that those are Manowar fans in that clip..though their in a studio and not an arena,I'd expect at least some fist pumping and head banging.Most of them just stood there as if they were thinking,"I came all that way for this"?

Same. I was listening and thinking the fans, hand picked fans and press, and they weren't showing any emotion. Like showing your best friend this awesome song you know he'd like and then it's just staring at the ground. :ugh: :ugh:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:10 pm 

A terrible song from a band that has been terrible for a long time now

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:35 am 

It didn't quite grab me but it sounds somewhat promising. After the boredom of Gods Of War and the solid Thunder In The Sky EP, I'm at least curious to see how this turns out.

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:54 am 

Seems like they're going for a more Louder Than Hell feel, which certainly beats Gods of War or their last EP. I like new Manowar (does new Manowar count from Kings of Metal onwards? 'Cause that seems to be when they really changed their sound from old-school USPM) for what it is, cartoonishness and all, so if Manowar cuts down on the pomp and gratuitous filler tracks and just releases 7 or 8 solid new Manowar tracks I'll be a happy guy.

- John Calvin.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:42 am 

0kill wrote:
if Manowar cuts down on the pomp I'll be a happy guy.

This is Manowar you're talking about...

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Barbecuetioner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:52 am 

i'm not interested unless they drop all the opera shit... gods of war was boring as all hell

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:34 am 

Veracs wrote:
A terrible song from a band that has been terrible for a long time now

Pff, you're dumb.

Anyway I'll check this out, been a huge Manowar fan and I have to see what my favorite American Vikings are up to.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:26 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
0kill wrote:

This is Manowar you're talking about...

Hence "cut down" instead of "eliminate." I'm not that crazy optimistic. :-P

- John Calvin.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:10 pm 

Sounds good, and not surprising, it sounds very similar to the songs on their last two albums. El Gringo doesn't sound like a very "Manowarish" title though.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:29 am 

0kill wrote:

If a song with title and lyrics like El Gringo is on the album, I doubt we're getting something pompous. It can't possibly be a concept album, and interludes, intros, intros to intros and outros would be out of place on such an album.

I am worried about the use of synths, though.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:35 am 

Lord_Lexy wrote:
0kill wrote:

If a song with title and lyrics like El Gringo is on the album, I doubt we're getting something pompous. It can't possibly be a concept album, and interludes, intros, intros to intros and outros would be out of place on such an album.

I am worried about the use of synths, though.

I'd be more worried about how Manowar don't write riffs anymore. Seriously, their music has been laughably devoid of decent rhythm guitar parts for a very long time now.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:29 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I'd be more worried about how Manowar don't write riffs anymore. Seriously, their music has been laughably devoid of decent rhythm guitar parts for a very long time now.

This. The verses are often very predictable and seem almost like an afterthought. Something to contrast the BOMBASTIC CHORUS that later day Manowar is all about.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:50 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

That's a fair criticism, but Manowar is one of those "exception" bands to me where they can get away with not having great riffs and still make kickass heavy metal. Really, Manowar hasn't been a riff-driven band since Sign of the Hammer or maybe not since Into Glory Ride. Even Kings of Metal doesn't have many strikingly original riffs but it still works as an album and has tons of great tracks like "Hail and Kill," "Blood of the Kings," "Wheels of Fire," etc.

- John Calvin.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:06 pm 

I couldn't finish Gods of War, so I'm approaching this with some level of caution.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:36 am 

I am heartily sick of Mnaowar's EPIC crap and I hope with all my herat they give it a rest and just make a ballsy heavy straightforward heavy metal record.
Eric Adams singing Nessun Dorma, lengthy concept album laden with Norse goodies - I WANT NONE OF THAT!

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:49 pm 

Agreed, iAmDisturbed. Looks like they're cutting it half way, ditching the concept but still not playing ballsy heavy metal. It seems to me like the path of least resistance for them. They don't have to keep putting effort into things the fans don't want, but they also aren't putting effort into the things the fans do want.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:26 pm 

0kill wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

That's a fair criticism, but Manowar is one of those "exception" bands to me where they can get away with not having great riffs and still make kickass heavy metal. Really, Manowar hasn't been a riff-driven band since Sign of the Hammer or maybe not since Into Glory Ride. Even Kings of Metal doesn't have many strikingly original riffs but it still works as an album and has tons of great tracks like "Hail and Kill," "Blood of the Kings," "Wheels of Fire," etc.

I agree tenfold with ANA's point here, but have to fiercely disagree with your riff further to it, 0kill. Words escape me, as the riff-tasticness of the riffing riffage of this barrage of riffs of this fucking riff-fest of a "not so riff-driven", according to your riff, fucking song riff through my riff-raff ears. Riff you, man, what-the-riff-are-you-even-riffing-about,-man?! Furthermore, let the almighty RIFF be my witness, or just take my riff for it: you riffing well do not want to extend your riff to such riff as this. Don't be rifficulous, now.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:25 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
0kill wrote:

I agree tenfold with ANA's point here, but have to fiercely disagree with your riff further to it, 0kill. Words escape me, as the riff-tasticness of the riffing riffage of this barrage of riffs of this fucking riff-fest of a "not so riff-driven", according to your riff, fucking song riff through my riff-raff ears. Riff you, man, what-the-riff-are-you-even-riffing-about,-man?! Furthermore, let the almighty RIFF be my witness, or just take my riff for it: you riffing well do not want to extend your riff to such riff as this. Don't be rifficulous, now.

Your post amuses me, but it seems odd that when 0kil specifically said "since Sign of the Hammer or maybe not since Into Glory Ride", you attempt to rebuff his point with examples from... Sign of the Hammer and Into Glory Ride.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:10 am 

@ENKC: Okay, just to be on the same page, "since X" = "from X on" = "starting at and including X, and to this day" in my dictionary. What is it like in yours? :D

If 0kill really meant to say "after Sign of the Hammer", then okay(-ish, still his semi-discarding of KoM's riffs is debatable to an extent, but fine). If he maybe meant "after Into Glory Ride", then the lol's definitely on him and my point stands tall, strong, and full of riffs from the 2 masterpieces that immediately followed IGR.

zingote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:56 am 

I was actually looking forward to the Asgard saga. They should use the interludes but fully orchestrate them and write great metal tracks like on their first 4 albums. That would be great. I just prefer their mythology based stuff to their hail metal type tracks.

DarkAvenger77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:54 pm 

Sounds awesome! Ive been a fan of Manowar for 4 years now, and though I havent really liked Gods of War that much, this new track is looking good! Im glad they are finally taking a step in the right direction. I suspect a new EP should be released later on this year.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:07 pm 

Manowar usually doesn't disappoint as such, they just make albums that go for too long and have too much filler. Joey thinks that every note he writes is a masterpiece so he can't cull anything - they need a manager who can rein Joey in when needed. Anyway, that last EP they made was a step in the right direction, so if they stick with that I reckon there'll be more biker rock-type Manowar this time around. I usually like whatever they put out anyway, so meh

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:21 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
@ENKC: Okay, just to be on the same page, "since X" = "from X on" = "starting at and including X, and to this day" in my dictionary. What is it like in yours? :D

If 0kill really meant to say "after Sign of the Hammer", then okay(-ish, still his semi-discarding of KoM's riffs is debatable to an extent, but fine). If he maybe meant "after Into Glory Ride", then the lol's definitely on him and my point stands tall, strong, and full of riffs from the 2 masterpieces that immediately followed IGR.

Essentially, I just mean Manowar hasn't been a riff-based band in a long time, but they still work. Their first four albums are masterpieces of riffy USPM (Into Glory Ride has the best riffs of the first four, methinks) and even after that they've released a ton of kickass heavy metal. It's just not really as based on inventive riffs. If you look at Kings of Metal, the main riff of "Wheels of Fire[/i] is just the low E string played super fast and the main riff of the title track is a very Priestly hard rock lick as opposed to those songs you linked. They still are awesome tracks and Kings of Metal is probably my favorite Manowar album, though.

- John Calvin.

Panpol
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:05 am 

Their last album that I enjoy is Kings of Metal, so I don't have big expectations.

Immolation95
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:41 am 

yay more cheesy pop metal

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:56 am 

@0kill: I see, well we mostly agree, then; sorry for the semantics misunderstanding. KoM is a bit of a mixed bag to me, not overall on par with the almighty IGR/HtE/SotH trilogy, but it does have several of their all-time best tracks (essentially the 3 you already cited, although the 2 semi-epic power ballads are truly cool in their own way, especially "Heart of Steel"). Riffs such as the main ones off of "Hail and Kill" and "Blood of the Kings" are instantly recognizable and decidedly balls-grabbing in my book, but I agree with your overall point that it's been downhill from there, except for the odd flash of briefly returned brilliance here and there across the scarcer and scarcer, and more and more generic studio stuff they've been putting out in their post-Boss era.

This "Hey, Gringo! don't cha like my coffee?" sample makes no exception. It feels like a Manowar tribute band aimed at capturing the spirit of their most straightforward heavy classics like "Shellshock", "Warlord" or "Animals", or perhaps even capturing the pale and blurry screenshot of those that tracks like "Outlaw" or "The Gods Made Heavy Metal" already were. An ersatz of this side of their style, or an ersatz of their epic side as this "Gods of Odin and Yeah, Call us Manowar of Fire and Steel, now, why the fuck not" mess was... Well, different flavors, same dilution.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next