Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Painkiller1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:09 am 

Has anyone else been following the NBA this season?

Behemoth brings the snuggle.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:27 am 

It seems to be all about Jeremy Lin this year.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:59 am 

I follow the NBA every year, what specifically were you wanting to talk about? As a Suns fan I'm not super pumped about this season but hopefully someone can keep LeBron from winning a title this year.

And yeah Linsanity is getting on my nerves and I don't watch much ESPN anymore, even.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Painkiller1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:05 am 

The Lin hype will die out once the Knicks get booted out of the playoffs in the first round as usual. As far as Miami, I think the Thunder have the best chance of preventing them from winning a championship. I just don't see the Bulls being able to keep up with them in a series, I hope I'm wrong though.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:17 am 

There's some weak teams in the East, if the Knicks keep playing well and Carmelo catches up with the rest of his team then watch out! They're not gonna beat Miami though, and yeah the Bulls likely won't either. The Thunder are indeed the best equipped to stop the Heat, and I really wouldn't mind seeing them win at all. Kevin Durant is incredible and there's lots of other talent on the roster for them as well.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

doomlover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:51 am 

RVP saves our bacon again.

Need Man Utd to do us a favour and beat Spurs and the race for 3rd is on.

This is like the metal version of "I can't cook, I even fuck up Mac & Cheese"

hornyjohnny
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:36 am 

Van Persie is an effing legend . Only the gunners could do the unthinkable beating Liverpool at Anfield , even I was a bit skeptical before the game . In a dilemna though , don't want Tottenham to gain a precious 3 but at the same time can't stand to see United win .

doomlover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:07 pm 

Oh and Chelsea stumble again.

Jesus, for once things are going our way.

This is like the metal version of "I can't cook, I even fuck up Mac & Cheese"

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:54 am 

hornyjohnny wrote:
Van Persie is an effing legend. Only the gunners could do the unthinkable beating Liverpool at Anfield, even I was a bit skeptical before the game.
Only before the game? How about through out the whole 90 minutes. That should have been a convincing 3pts for Liverpool, now foolishly squandered.

hornyjohnny
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:27 am 

They did have their chances , although i'm not counting the penalty . Suarez clearly went down a bit too easily .

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:15 pm 

^hah Yea he did.

Anyone catch the Rome derby? It was pretty scrappy fro most of the game. Hard challenges, lots of personal errors, back and forth action, and, yes, De Rossi being a bitch. Entertaining game all in all.

The Spurs v United match was pretty good. Spurs playing without 3 of their starting middies and boy did it show. That killer pass/offensive sequence just wasn't there today. Man U getting a few very fortunate goals, but a more or less solid performance. 19 shots for Spurs vs the 7 for Man U, the team more ruthless in front of goal won. Plain and simple.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:56 pm 

Just saw the Sens Vs Rangers game yesterday, got seats right behind the goal. Our new goalie, Bishop, for the Sens is actually pretty good, hes freaking huge, too. I thought we were going to lose because the Rangers being the number one team in the league (last time I checked), but we beat them 4-1. Great game.

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:18 pm 

Sens are looking awesome. I was prepared for the worst this season, as it was year one (ish) of the rebuild. (I say -ish because as far as I'm concerned, the old team first started falling about on Canada Day 2010, when we traded Volchenkov). Anyway, they've ended up with a reinvigorated offense, arguably the best offensive D-man in the league, and not one, not two, but three more-than-capable goalies. If the boys make it into the playoffs this year, man... What an amazing treat for such a young team

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:26 pm 

Painkiller1349 wrote:
The Lin hype will die out once the Knicks get booted out of the playoffs in the first round as usual. As far as Miami, I think the Thunder have the best chance of preventing them from winning a championship. I just don't see the Bulls being able to keep up with them in a series, I hope I'm wrong though.

Its all ready dead. The Knicks are horrible and Dantoni even quit haha.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:29 pm 

Forget it for the Sens in the playoffs. Yes, they have Karlsson and he's very good in the PP, but he doesn't have much experience and he's not a physical player. Spezza can play, but he's not the best in the playoffs, hopefully, he'll play well, Also, I highly doubt that the goalie situation is in Ottawa's favor, Anderson is not a great first goalie and he's injured. Anyway, the champion teams are the fast and tough teams with good goaltenders, Boston and NYR are the top contenders for me in the east. Ottawa will get destroyed by both of these teams or the Flyers.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Painkiller1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:02 pm 

burnroasted wrote:
Its all ready dead. The Knicks are horrible and Dantoni even quit haha.

And to make it even funnier Milwaukee jumped them and is now the 8th seed in the east! I'm not sure if I want it to stay that way so I can laugh at them for not making the playoffs, or if I want them to get the 8th seed back so I can watch Chicago massacre them in the first round.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:20 pm 

Oh wow d'Antoni did quit! Holy shit! As a Phoenix fan I say, fuck him anyways. That's really funny though, the Knicks are like the Mets of basketball, building their fans up to new and greater disappointments year after year.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:15 pm 

Big news in the sports world today! I live in Kansas City, so I checked the Chiefs' moves first for NFL free agency, thought we signed Peyton Manning... we signed Peyton Hillis, big difference, all well I didn't want Manning's breakable ass anyways. Megatron got paid $132 Million, Bills got Mario Williams, and the Cowboys signed Kyle Orton and some other people, including Brandon Carr away from the Chiefs for 5 years, $51 million. I love the start of free agency! It's so exciting. Oh yeah Brandon Marshall is back with Cutler in Chicago if he doesn't go to jail. That's just some of the bigger moves, plenty more action going on. Anyone mad/glad about anything up to this point?

Also more NBA stuff there was a huge 5-player trade involving Andrew Bogut and Monta Ellis, and the Lakers finally got rid of Derek Fisher. Not sure if L.A. actually improves with the move we'll have to wait and see.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:39 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
the Cowboys signed Kyle Orton and some other people, including Brandon Carr away from the Chiefs for 5 years, $51 million.

A very good signing for Dallas. Since they have the most cap space, Kansas City has been quite aggressive in free agency so I don't understand why they signed Stanford Routt instead of paying to keep the superior Brandon Carr. Could hurt.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:18 am 

You know I don't get that either, especially since Carr has had some time under Crennell to learn the scheme and do his job right. Also Routt is like the most penalized player in the league...

Painkiller1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:45 am 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Also more NBA stuff there was a huge 5-player trade involving Andrew Bogut and Monta Ellis, and the Lakers finally got rid of Derek Fisher. Not sure if L.A. actually improves with the move we'll have to wait and see.

They'll improve because they also traded to get Ramon Sessions who will replace Fisher. Still, as an OKC fan I'm not afraid of them. The only Western Conference team I'm concerned about facing in the playoffs is the Spurs. Given Ginobli recovers fully by playoff time and Tony Parker keeps playing like a madman, that'll be one hell of a series.

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:18 pm 

March Madness isn't as good when you payed zero attention to the regular season.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:22 pm 

March madness is GRRRRREAT when Mizzou loses into the first round, a big Fuck You to them!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:07 pm 

You know it's a big day when Tebow is playing second fiddle to ANY story. Goodell wasn't fucking around with Nawlins.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:16 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
You know it's a big day when Tebow is playing second fiddle to ANY story. Goodell wasn't fucking around with Nawlins.

Just saw that. Holy shit. I was expecting a fine and maybe a draft pick revoked, but Payton suspended for a year and Williams suspended for possibly forever? Not to mention two second round draft picks and possibly certain players will be suspended too.

++ On the NFL, glad that whole Peyton thing is over. And I'm really glad he didn't come to the NFC West. Tebow to Jacksonville now, maybe? They need to sell tickets somehow.

- John Calvin.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:29 pm 

Nah, he's a Jet now. Wanna know how to make him more likable to me? Don't put him on the fucking Jets.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:46 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Nah, he's a Jet now. Wanna know how to make him more likable to me? Don't put him on the fucking Jets.

Seriously? For a fourth-round draft pick? It's utterly logic-defying. Oh well, at least the Jets fanbase is going ballistic, which warms the cockles of my black heart.

- John Calvin.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:34 pm 

It's just been reported that the Jets trade has hit a snag.

0kill wrote:
Just saw that. Holy shit. I was expecting a fine and maybe a draft pick revoked

I think everyone was aware that it'd be more than a fine and a draft pick(which was what NE got from Spygate) but Sean Peyton getting banned for the entire season is shocking. He will be suspended without pay;expected lose $8 MILLION this year.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:31 pm 

I'm a Pistons fan, so I admittedly haven't kept up with the NBA much the last couple of years. Greg Monroe is looking to be a star, though. Not so sure about Brandon Knight yet though.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:19 am 

Yeah Monroe is really good, never heard of him before this year. Also it sucks that Stuckey has not been the badass he looked like he was going to be. All well teams' fortunes change FAST in the NBA so just wait a few months till next season in October!

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:40 pm 

Monroe is a great player but he's surrounded by subpar guys who are terrifically overpaid. Last night was a great example of watching the Pistons snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Ultimately they need a true 1 guard and everyone they've got who should play that position (Gordon, Stuckey, Knight) don't have the ball handling skills to really do it. Knight might eventually, but Gordon and Stuckey are small 2 guards, both with cruddy contracts.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:21 pm 

Charlie Villanueva "Injured" again. He is the biggest waste and personifies what is wrong with the Pistons.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:54 pm 

Well hey fuck the Pistons, who's excited for Tigers baseball? THIS guy sure is.

brmln
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:11 am 

Diamhea wrote:
I'm a Pistons fan, so I admittedly haven't kept up with the NBA much the last couple of years.

Same here. We've been awful. :(

Knight's only a rookie, so we'll see how he does.

I've mostly been paying attention to college basketball. I'm a huge Michigan fan, but even though we crapped our pants in the first round, I'm still really enjoying this tournament. We may never get to see two 15 seeds move on ever again!

I guess I'm rooting for Kentucky since I have them winning it all on my bracket, but I'd be cool if anyone but Ohio state wins it. Kentucky just looks unstoppable though. They're like the Fab Five of today. They're all underclassmen who will most-likely end up having at least somewhat successful careers in the NBA. They'll probably win the whole thing and have it vacated in five years. Oh well.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:29 am 

Don't think I've ever mentioned it around these parts but I'm actually in my last year of undergrad at the University of Kentucky. Doesn't seem like there's too many fans of college basketball on here(or I just don't check the thread enough), but as someone whose lived in Lexington their whole life, let me tell you all, this match up with Louisville coming up is like nothing you can imagine. Naturally, I've been a big Wildcats fan since I was young and the last time we won the championship I was only 10 years old so I'm really hoping they can bring it home this year. It would be a great to experience it as a student in my last year and it something myself and many others foresaw when became known that Jones, Miller, and Lamb would all be coming back this year to join the new class of freshman. There's really no reason why we should lose on paper, its definitely our title to lose, but if its going to happen, it very well could happen in a bloodbath rivalry game or in a re-match against Kansas, who I think is pretty formidable.

Painkiller1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:55 am 

My prediction all along has been Kentucky winning the title over Ohio State. As long as Kentucky keeps the pedal to the medal and doesn't downplay inferior opponents, no one will beat them.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:15 am 

Well yeah the only team I am scared to play is Kentucky. After beating NC decisively on Sunday I am confident the Jayhawks can take on OSU or Louisville, but man Kentucky looked fuckin scary in the game before that. It wasn't a decisive win, it was a steamrolling. If KU plays Kentucky we not only have to have a great game, but some of UK's guys have to under-perform as well. That said, Rock Chalk motherfuckers.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:22 pm 

Charlie Villanueva part deux:

I saw him at a strip club off of 8 mile in Detroit. Really resting that injured ankle eh?

Last.fm

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:52 pm 

See, athletes are allowed to live lives outside of sports. Holding someone up to your personal conduct standards is bogus, even if you feel like they owe you something because your favorite team employs them. How would going to a stripclub aggravate an ankle injury? People do the same thing with musicians, acting like they are personally aggrieved when their idol conducts him or herself "unacceptably." They're just people, man!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:52 pm 

Habs fired Pierre Gauthier. I'll wait for Tony's report, but I can only assume there is celebration in the streets.

My picks to replace him are Marc Bergevin or Julien Brisebois.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 136  Next