Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:58 pm 

No problem. Do you know Mistur, by the way?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:14 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Indeed I do, I follow that scene very closely, really enjoy Feigd and Sigtyr also. On a side not Jan of Feigd is working on his debut at the minute, I really look forward to this as I have both his demos and they are very good especially the first one. With guys like these about Valfar lives on...

Edit just picked up the Iblis cd for 1.99 :)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:16 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Indeed I do, I follow that scene very closely, really enjoy Feigd and Sigtyr also. On a side not Jan of Feigd is working on his debut at the minute, I really look forward to this as I have both his demos and they are very good especially the first one. With guys like these about Valfar lives on...

Edit just picked up the Iblis cd for 1.99 :)

I thought so. I was also going to ask if you listened to Sigtyr, and which release by them you thought to be the best. :D

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:28 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I thought so. I was also going to ask if you listened to Sigtyr, and which release by them you thought to be the best. :D

To be honest i like all the demos mate and to be more honest I have not listened to Sigtyr for a while so I can not remember which is best, I know I enjoyed them all though. I guess it's like Windir, they are one of my favourite bands but I can not tell you my favourite as I find strengths in all his releases, I enjoy all their/his albums very much.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:08 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
garthmargengi: I got Iblis - Axioma, and the drums sound very excellent indeed, but fuck, those guys rip off Windir relentlessly. :lol:

???
They don't sound alike at all to me, never even thought of comparing them.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:18 am 

They don't sound similar, that much is true.

Several moments in the latter half of Infant gave me flashbacks of 1184 and Likferd, but the true culprit is La Follia, whose riffs and chords are largely identical to something off either 1184 or Likferd (probably Martyrium off Likferd). STORMM will be able to tell which song, I don't want to skim through every Windir riff nor do I have the time to listen to those albums right now.

Many Windir clones make a habit of "paraphrasing" (read: copying) themes from classical composers; Windir might've done it also on that song off Likferd, and Iblis certainly boasts a considerable classical element, so it could be a coincidence that both bands used the same theme as a riff.

I was mistaken in thinking some song from the first half of the album was also a nigh carbon copy of a Windir song, I don't know what cognitive dissonance got hold of me, but it's true though that Blazing sounds immensely familiar. The bass, especially. I really don't know what it is, but I'm quite certain I haven't heard the Iblis song until now.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:02 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Many Windir clones make a habit of "paraphrasing" (read: copying) themes from classical composers; Windir might've done it also on that song off Likferd, and Iblis certainly boasts a considerable classical element, so it could be a coincidence that both bands used the same theme as a riff.

Very true, a lot of Valfar's melodies are taken from local folk songs from the Sogndal area. Before playing metal Valfar played these folk songs on his accordion then interpreted it into metal through Windir. I assume the other bands from the area use a similar approach thus sounding similar to Windir's compositions.
I will give the Iblis album a good dissection when it comes, I have a habit of avoiding listen to you tube tracks when I have a physical copy on order. Same with Lunar Aurora, can't wait to hear only for amazon having a fucking delayed release date! Should be here this week, I hope!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:39 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I'm looking for some black metal in the vein of Deathspell Omega. I already know Dead Shell Universe and Dodecahedron.

Anybody?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:27 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Anybody?

The only one I'm familiar with is Ascension from Germany.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:26 pm 

Thanks for that, they sound awesome.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:40 pm 

theoctavarius wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
Anybody?

The only one I'm familiar with is Ascension from Germany.

since i dont know what you have listened to and what you havent exactly, ill throw a couple at you off the top of my head, im sure you have heard Blut Aus Nord? If not do so immediately. Also check out The Axis of Perdition, and for something thus far a little lesser known, Seagulls Insane and Swans Deceased Mining out the Void. Yes i know weird fucking name but apparently their newest album is quite good.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:32 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

They are. All of their releases are quality with less over the top technical wankery wizardry. On the subject though, perhaps later Antaeus and the last album by Thunderbolt might interest you?

My collection

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:37 pm 

I've heard Blut Aus Nord and Axis of Perdition. BAN is hit and miss for me, but even their hits are like 7/10 material. Axis of Perdition rocks my socks off. I'll check out those other bands and report back.

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:02 am 

Eli_the_Destroyer wrote:
Seagulls Insane and Swans Deceased Mining out the Void

Such a ridiculous name, I just had to check them out. I'll be damned if they aren't actually pretty fucking good. Will give a more thorough listen at a later time. Thanks, Eli!

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:01 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
I'm looking for some black metal in the vein of Deathspell Omega. I already know Dead Shell Universe and Dodecahedron.

Anybody?

When people ask for this I usually recommend Subvertio Deus: "Psalms of Perdition". Check it out if you haven't already.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:19 pm 

People:

I'm looking something in the vein of this song - especially the main riff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng3qpYUCSr8

Something melancholic, longing with a slight dissonant feel. I have the feeling that these kind of riffs are best appreciated with mid or slow paced drumming. I don't mind if it's with grim vocals or cleans, but they should be good.

You can say that Ulver's I Troldskog Faren Vild, Burzum's Det Som Engang Var, Nargaroth's Seven Tears or some Taake songs (like the slower ones from Over Bjoergvin), some Enslaved, Borknagar's S/T qualify, SO... I'm looking for less known acts that brings this kind of feeling/riffs.

Thanx in advance.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:20 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

Anybody?

This should like you:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Fid ... 3540295146

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:31 pm 

Kveldulfr:

Sounds exactly like some Arckanum, on ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ, Sviga Læ and Antikosmos (at least the first half of the album). Helvítismyrkr is in the same style mostly, but I have only listened to it once so I can't really judge.
From Sviga Læ. This is as close as it gets to the Darkthrone riff I think, most of the material is more obviously dark and negative.

A couple of The Ruins of Beverast songs like the latter half of Between Bronze Walls. All of their albums are amazing, start with Unlock The Shrine since it has stuff the most like your example.

Grand Belial's Key - Kosherat, in songs like The Red Heifer, On a Mule Rides the Swindler and The Bearded Hustlers

Some Behexen songs, like Mouth of Leviathan off the SW split.

Baptism, especially Chalice of Death EP.

Then, my personal favourite: Horna - Sanojesi Äärelle second CD of the two. Few bands capture that delirious bliss like Horna, and the vocals are as good as they get. It's mostly higher speed beats and blasting there, but the music isn't highly aggressive and doesn't sound like the usual blasting fare.

There is much, much more. Say what you liked the best out of these and let's dig deeper. I also hope others will post their choices, I really like those kind of riffs and I'm always looking for more.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:36 pm 

Damn! thanx a lot!

I own those Arckanum albums (actually I own every Arckanum release), being ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ the best of the pack and Ruins' Foulest Semen, excellent album! so I'll check the rest.

I heard some Horna and Behexen before; I wasn't impressed but I haven't heard those albums so I'll check them out, as well as the rest of the bands/albums named.

I'm also a huge fan of Kampfar. Thomas wrote several epic riffs, especially in Fra Underverdenen, so something along that line it's welcome too.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:33 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

No problem. You might also like Borgia; I just found them and they sound excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Si_3BU4D8
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:22 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
People:

I'm looking something in the vein of this song - especially the main riff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng3qpYUCSr8

Something melancholic, longing with a slight dissonant feel. I have the feeling that these kind of riffs are best appreciated with mid or slow paced drumming. I don't mind if it's with grim vocals or cleans, but they should be good.

You can say that Ulver's I Troldskog Faren Vild, Burzum's Det Som Engang Var, Nargaroth's Seven Tears or some Taake songs (like the slower ones from Over Bjoergvin), some Enslaved, Borknagar's S/T qualify, SO... I'm looking for less known acts that brings this kind of feeling/riffs.

Thanx in advance.

I'll recommend a couple based on the Burzum and Nargaroth reference.

Have you heard Verdunkeln? The full length is awesome, and the demo is well worth checking out too.

Unless you know of them perhaps Sterbend might be of interest to you? I'm not a huge fan of the full length album though...

Early Nachtmystium is fairly decent, especially the Demise album, which has a strong sense of longing about it (not so less known though, but still a respectable album...).

From Poland, Werewolf have similar feeling and tone to Ravishing Grimness (slightly). Not too bad an album...

Really digging now, but from Australia is Arkheth. Pretty damn obscure, but there is some good to great stuff on this album.

For something extremely melancholic (unless you own/heard them) is the Swedish Pest. The Dauðafærð EP is pure magic.

These are of course, not exact matches in some cases, but food for thought and consideration. Hope they at least helped slightly.

My collection

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:42 am 

Just looking for fast, blasty black metal like Marduk and Dark Funeral. Any recs?

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:01 am 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
Just looking for fast, blasty black metal like Marduk and Dark Funeral. Any recs?

Antaeus, Frozen Shadows, Thunderbolt, and Infernal War all fit. I'd also reccomend that you follow around drummers to their different projects, dudes like Pierre Langlois of Frozen Shadows aren't very common so many of them end up playing for a ton of local like-minded bands

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:08 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

I'll recommend a couple based on the Burzum and Nargaroth reference.

Unless you know of them perhaps Sterbend might be of interest to you? I'm not a huge fan of the full length album though...

From Poland, Werewolf have similar feeling and tone to Ravishing Grimness (slightly). Not too bad an album...

Really digging now, but from Australia is Arkheth. Pretty damn obscure, but there is some good to great stuff on this album.

These are of course, not exact matches in some cases, but food for thought and consideration. Hope they at least helped slightly.

I will check this out! I know the rest of them but good recommendations nonetheless.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:01 pm 

Allright so Borgia was cool really weird, slow burning, amorphous stuff.
Seagulls and the incredibly long band name were also a lot better than I expected. They rival DSO themselves during a few parts of the songs I checked out. But the vocals are hit and miss.
Antaeus was pretty awesome and had great vocals but was a bit too raw and straightforward for what I was looking for.
Thunderbolt was interesting too, but also a bit too straightforward.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:08 pm 

I was replying to Thrashierthanthou but glad you dug em. As per your rec are you limited to black metal? The more intense parts of Fas Ite remind me a bit of bands like Black Arrows of Filth and Impurity and Rune or even Maruta

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:31 pm 

Actually, it was CrushedRevelation that recommended Antaeus and Thunderbolt to me, but no I'm not limited. I'll check them out. Edit: 1349 posts!

Last edited by Necroticism174 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:38 pm 

:lol: Completely missed that my bad

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:52 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Damn! thanx a lot!

I own those Arckanum albums (actually I own every Arckanum release), being ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ the best of the pack and Ruins' Foulest Semen, excellent album! so I'll check the rest.

I heard some Horna and Behexen before; I wasn't impressed but I haven't heard those albums so I'll check them out, as well as the rest of the bands/albums named.

I thought Arckanum had a couple of riffs that were so similar/obvious that you would've mentioned it in your post. Horna has loads of lacklustre raw black metal releases, but also some very high quality ones (particularly the latest two full-lengths). Behexen is probably my favourite black metal band in the world. The balance between ugly, destructive side and beautiful melancholic side is excellent (or at least was, on By The Blessing...). Both bands may seem sucky if you pick the wrong release initially.

With Behexen, don't overlook From The Devil's Chalice. Don't pick it as your first album if you're not into very raw black metal (if you are, do pick it first).

Meanwhile, see of you enjoy Teloch. Songs like Thy Horrid Name should especially have that dissonant side of things in order. Rather basic Fenno-black (if Gorgoroth had children with Darkthrone and raised them after the rolemodel of Burzum - Lost Wisdom), but a good band especially if you like Baptism and Horna (Teloch's sound is something between the two).

Sterbend has super generic riffs and stupid vocals, but it's decent. "Depressing Paths Through Fullmoon Forests" should be called, "Sad Guy Imitates An Owl In The Park At Twilight". Actually he sounds like Homer Simpson crying in panic. I'll have to check out Arkheth.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:17 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'll have to check out Arkheth.

Yes good band Ilwhyan, have been spinning their second disc's this past week funny enough. I did a topic on them a year or two ago after they released the monsterous Quintessence album and enjoy it a lot though it does span two discs so it is a huge listen. This release is far more epic based, think Graveland etc. if you can get over the long playing time which I don't mind at all, the more the merrier, they are a great under rated band, the drumming is a bit lacking though in places but not really an issue.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:08 pm 

Meanwhile, Summoning fans: Horn - Die Kraft der Szenarien

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwPJqOCpctU

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:15 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Meanwhile, Summoning fans: Horn - Die Kraft der Szenarien

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwPJqOCpctU

Now your talking, another one of my favourites. He recently released a new Licht Erlischt album so
I really hope he is focusing on a new Horn album, fingers crossed! I can't get enough of his work.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:29 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Sterbend has super generic riffs and stupid vocals, but it's decent. "Depressing Paths Through Fullmoon Forests" should be called, "Sad Guy Imitates An Owl In The Park At Twilight". Actually he sounds like Homer Simpson crying in panic.

Agreed. The ridiculously generic "homage" to Burzum (especially the first track) is so damn irritating, that I struggle to listen to it. The vocals are retarded too, making it harder for themselves for me to really like them.

EDIT:
STORMM wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
I'll have to check out Arkheth.

Yes good band Ilwhyan, have been spinning their second disc's this past week funny enough. I did a topic on them a year or two ago after they released the monsterous Quintessence album and enjoy it a lot though it does span two discs so it is a huge listen. This release is far more epic based, think Graveland etc. if you can get over the long playing time which I don't mind at all, the more the merrier, they are a great under rated band, the drumming is a bit lacking though in places but not really an issue.

I haven't heard the second album yet, though I have heard that it's an improvement from the debut.

My collection

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:09 pm 

Thashierthanthou wrote:

This is one of the easiest requests you could ask for, and I have a few...

Lugebre have some furious blasty attitude.

Setherial are quite good. Some more Swedish, brutal, blasting black metal with great song writing.

Infinity from the Netherlands are another pretty damn awesome blasting outfit. The drumming is a particular highlight for me.

Infernal should suit your request as it's Blackmoon's band after he left Dark Funeral. I think they are a little better though...

Funeral Winds (who share member with Infinity) are pretty full-on as well, with a little more variation though at times.

Germany's Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult will blast your face off with their furious speed. Damn good band.

Urgehal have some cool fast, blast ridden tracks.

There's a few, unless of course, you already know them.

My collection

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:57 pm 

By the way, Kveldulfr, in Lunar Aurora song Black Aureole (off Ars Moriendi) there's a riff with the three first chords in common with the Darkthrone song's opening riff. ;)

By the way, I said earlier "last two Horna full-lengths", however I memorised incorrectly that Envaatnags Eflos Solf Esgantaavne was the album previous to Sanojesi Äärelle. It's Envaatnags Eflos Solf Esgantaavne and Sanojesi Äärelle that you should check out first.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:41 pm 

Specifically the version of eflos with all the bonus tracks.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:12 am 

Looking for melodic black metal, preferably from the Nordic countries. I've been listening to Finnish Black and Swedish black for a while, and some in Norway appealed to me.

I'm being country specific because those three titans have seemed to capture exactly the sound I had been looking for. Perhaps the good folks on this thread can recommend me some black metal that are somewhat like these:

Sweden: Naglfar, Dissection, Dawn, Vinterland, etc.
Finland: Sargeist, Satanic Warmaster, Behexen.
Norway: Iskald, early Darkthrone, etc.

Specifically if you play guitar, it could be nice to help me out find some invert-power-chord heavy black metal. (How redundant of me to say that). Sargiest and Satanic Warmaster have captured this sound quite nicely, and I've always loved the epic-story telling of Swedish melodic black/death bands doing the story telling with more of the music than the words.

Thanks in advance.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:21 am 

Check out the song Violence Is Golden by Rage Nucleaire, it has a great "inverted power chord" riff devised after the theme of Bathory - Oden's Ride Over Nordland.

Definitely check out Baptism if you haven't. Very similar to Sargeist and Behexen's and SW's melodic moments. Grand Belial's Key album Kosherat has a couple of songs you'll definitely enjoy, like The Red Heifer. Walknut is pure atmospheric melodic tremolopicking-of-thirds. Blood Of Kingu has Drudkh-esque inverted power chord riffing, but much intensified - debut album is the best. If you like them, check out Astrofaes and Hate Forest too if you haven't. Matricide's full-length has a couple of songs like that, like Reborn, but not all songs are melodic. Prevalent Resistance is pretty similar to Baptism, Sargeist and all the others, if not quite as good. Sapthuran is pretty warmly recommended by some, it's not my personal favourite but do check it out if you like it. Vitsaus is a darker style of the other Finnish bands I've mentioned so far, not as melodic as Sargeist or Baptism but definitely great.

I can't think of anything more at the moment, I'll get back to you if need be. There are loads and loads of bands with less prominent melodicism but with the majority of material sounding more like Merrimack or something.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:27 am 

Markov wrote:
Dissection

I haven't gotten around to listening to them yet, but I've been under the impression that Thulcandra is typically liked by fans of Dissection. Speaking of Dissection, it seems like I only ever listen to Thorns of Crimson Death and just forget about the rest of the album, is there any chance I'd like The Somberlain more?

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:10 pm 

Dissection is my favorite band of all time, man. Hahah. Thulcandra's first album, Fallen Angel's Dominion, is pretty much a Storm of The Light's Bane rip off.

If you look at the tracks and the sounds, playing both albums at the same time...

Night Eternal is a direct rip-off of Night's Blood, Fallen Angel's Dominion is a direct rip-off of Retribution: Storm of The Light's Bane, Frozen Kingdom is a direct rip-off of Where Dead Angels Lie, Legions of Darkness is a direct rip-off of Soul Reaper. Hell, both albums even start with a guitar intro and end with a piano outro. Thulcandra is worshiping Dissection, and to be honest, the nostalgia factor of that album made it REALLY enjoyable for me. I loved the production.

Under a Frozen Sun is less of a rip-off and more of an inspiration from the Swedish Melodic Black/Death scene, and it was my favorite album of 2011. Definitely check it out if you have the time.

Also, Storm of The Light's Bane is probably the most influential album to me, but it may not be to you. I loved both The Somberlain and Storm of The Light's bane. Somberlain has more Death than black influence, and Storm of The Light's bane has more black than death influence. They are both titanic albums, and I've listened to them since I was about 8. (I'm 16 now)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 231  Next