Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:59 am 

Been listening to a lot of Phantom recently. Their sophomore album is almost as good as Cyberchrist - it's less consistent and a good bit slower, but goddamn some of those songs kill. Wolves at the Door is just a perfect example of how to write a mid-paced ominous track that keeps you completely engaged and doesn't drag at all.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:36 am 

PrinceRhaegar wrote:
So I've been listening to a shitload of bands that sit on the border between hard rock and metal, like KISS, Skid Row, Steelheart, W.A.S.P., etc. and I want more bands in that vein. Bands who don't try to be too serious or deep but instead focus on more catchy music that just FUCKING ROCKS. So what other great bands besides the obvious are out there that just scream "ROCK AND ROLL"?

If you're not afraid of non-American stuff, Baron Rojo is one of my very favorite hard rock/heavy metal bands. Catchy as shit, with serious attitude, and more rock than the Rockies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFE3S3_nLFI

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:55 pm 

PrinceRhaegar wrote:
So I've been listening to a shitload of bands that sit on the border between hard rock and metal, like KISS, Skid Row, Steelheart, W.A.S.P., etc. and I want more bands in that vein. Bands who don't try to be too serious or deep but instead focus on more catchy music that just FUCKING ROCKS. So what other great bands besides the obvious are out there that just scream "ROCK AND ROLL"?

Wolf (UK) might be something you'd enjoy. A fantastic NWOBHM group that would've been destined to be a legend if they had gotten more exposure.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:20 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Have you guys heard Whetstone's Ancient Metal? Very solid heavy/power with an epic flair and a vocalist that's a dead ringer for Hansi Kursch, which is pretty weird. Definitely a diamond in the rough.

man I loved this, thanks for posting!
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:37 pm 

Hey guys :D
Last night i started listening to Powerwolf. I kept seeing the name/album cover (for their most recent album) and decided to check them out. Holy fuck i love these guys. I also adore Nightwish and Epica, and enjoy some Iced Earth and Symphony X now and again.

Any bands you guys think I would enjoy?
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:43 pm 

Suffersystem wrote:
Any bands you guys think I would enjoy?

Look at my Last.fm with a notepad and pen ready.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:10 pm 

Its rare I get impressed with a Euro-power album like this but Nostradameus' second album is nothing short of catchy. Its strange that I have never heard mention of this band till now all things considered. Guitars are powerful and melodic, drums are fast, and the vocals are well done. Have to say I am quite impressed.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:55 am 

Saw this on the new releases section on MA

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Kil ... 540343538#

Looks like Vinnie Appice and a couple of other gents formed a new band I had no idea about, anyone heard this? I've only heard a low quality live track on youtube.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:22 pm 

Damn, Vicious Rumours' Welcome to the Ball is kicking my ass right now, especially the first track, Abandoned. Carl's voice here sounds strangely similar to Bobby Ellsworth's, though.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:49 pm 

The only "Spirits of the Dead" I like is the one from MANILLA FUCKING ROAD. That being said, Gravedigger's "Rebellion" is all right. Can't get into most of their stuff, though.

In other news, Blind Assassin's 1986 demo and Dragon's Lair's Dragonheart EP are both pretty neat. The former is power/speed, the latter Twisted Tower Dire-ish epic power metal.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:26 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Damn, Vicious Rumours' Welcome to the Ball is kicking my ass right now, especially the first track, Abandoned. Carl's voice here sounds strangely similar to Bobby Ellsworth's, though.

Yeah that album is great. Listening to Digital Dictator myself atm.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:30 pm 

Vicious Rumors are just all-around amazing - they don't get enough credit. Every single musician in the Digital Dictator lineup is absolutely fantastic.

Madthrashingmatt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:24 pm 

Anyone know any new US Power Metal bands that have a sound in the vain of other US Power Metals like Omen, Liege Lord, Virgin Steele, Jag Panzer, Cirith Ungol, Manilla Road, and Manowar?

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:29 pm 

Madthrashingmatt wrote:
Anyone know any new US Power Metal bands that have a sound in the vain of other US Power Metals like Omen, Liege Lord, Virgin Steele, Jag Panzer, Cirith Ungol, Manilla Road, and Manowar?

Crescent Shield.

Madthrashingmatt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:32 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Madthrashingmatt wrote:

Crescent Shield.

Whoa!!! They sound amazing!!! Got any others?

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:52 pm 

Savatage, Crimson Glory, Medieval Steel, Queensryche, Chastain, Steel Prophet, Helstar, Oblivion (Florida), Deadly Blessing, Attacker, Warlord.

And of course Fates Warning is mandatory for USPM.

I'm currently listening to this amazing Chastain song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwjfEuLygEg

Madthrashingmatt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:19 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Savatage, Crimson Glory, Medieval Steel, Queensryche, Chastain, Steel Prophet, Helstar, Oblivion (Florida), Deadly Blessing, Attacker, Warlord.

And of course Fates Warning is mandatory for USPM.

I'm currently listening to this amazing Chastain song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwjfEuLygEg

I love Savatage, Queensryche, Helstar, Warlord and Fates Warning. I'll have check the others out. Thank you!!!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:21 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

Looks like Vinnie Appice and a couple of other gents formed a new band I had no idea about, anyone heard this? I've only heard a low quality live track on youtube.

Doesn't sound too good. :/ Not awful, just pretty blah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex0QvZEd ... re=related

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:53 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

Haha, I've made the Bobby comparison myself.

All around one of the best of the best. Probably Carl's best performance on that album.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:02 am 

Fuck bitches.

So anyway, listened to a couple tracks off the new Blaze Bayley and holy shit, lame. What happened? Am now undergoing purification via The Man Who Would Not Die.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:55 am 

failsafeman wrote:
I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

Doesn't sound too good. :/ Not awful, just pretty blah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex0QvZEd ... re=related

Yeah, painfully average, I guess you gotta expect it having a Pantera dude in the band.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:11 am 

Man, I couldn't find any good quality old Crimson Glory videos back a year or so ago from the 80's with Midnight singing, but I searched for some on YouTube just now and found a bunch here. So anyone else who wanted to see the master in action will be as ecstatic as I am to see these.

Live in Florida 1989

Red Sharks
Valhalla
Lonely

Phantoms of the Opera (Which is Florida 1989, so pretty sure it will be the same gig

In Dark Places

What gets me is there is this sweet solo Jon Drenning does which is 10 times better quality than the above videos but seems to be the same gig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85cWnwX68xg

Man, what I would give to have them release this DVD with the solo quality for the entire thing.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:46 am 

Drumming is always so much better live. Amazing stuff there, love how they're wearing the masks heh.

Sunslash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:23 pm 

I will say this right now, the new Accept is going the best power metal album this year.
If you (rightfully) thought that Stalingrad was badass, then you have to listen to full album. It oozes old school, delicious german metal ! I can't wait for my pre-ordered LPs to arrive.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:14 pm 

Sunslash wrote:
I will say this right now, the new Accept is going the best power metal album this year.

That's great to hear and all, but you know what? There's a little problem with what you say; Accept don't play power metal.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:24 pm 

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
I'm unsure if this is at all what you're looking for, but you could give Isen Torr's Mighty & Superior EP a try. That's what quickly came to mind with the mention of guitar tone, at least.

Here's the title track for you.

Late response, I know, but this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:25 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
PrinceRhaegar wrote:

Wolf (UK) might be something you'd enjoy. A fantastic NWOBHM group that would've been destined to be a legend if they had gotten more exposure.

Wolf (Jpn) is another one that fits.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:04 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Fuck bitches.

So anyway, listened to a couple tracks off the new Blaze Bayley and holy shit, lame. What happened? Am now undergoing purification via The Man Who Would Not Die.

I listened to a few songs too - the title track, "Judge Me," "The Black Country" - and yeah, eh, I don't know what he was going for. I can hear there's a lot of passion in these songs, but they're also filled with totally random ass shit and sound effects and superfluous mellow sections that it's just bizarre, like he's gone senile early.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:56 am 

Accept - Stalingrad has leaked! After 2 listens, I must say it is very good, in the same vein as Blood of the Nations, but more compact, the album is about 50 minutes, my favorite song so far: Shadows Soldier, great semi ballad.

I'm now listening to a playlist of the show I saw last year! Accept is awesome.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:39 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Late response, I know, but this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Glad to help :)

Anyone here a fan of G.I.S.M.? Namely their second album, M.A.N., which has absolutely killer NWOBHM style guitarwork. They played some pretty messy/fun sounding hardcore punk on the debut, and the vocals on M.A.N. remain harsh and not sung, even with the quite large musical shift. It's interesting for sure.

Here's the opening track from M.A.N., Good as It Is. Really a great album, though the few interludes are pointless.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:23 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Nahsil wrote:
Fuck bitches.

I listened to a few songs too - the title track, "Judge Me," "The Black Country" - and yeah, eh, I don't know what he was going for. I can hear there's a lot of passion in these songs, but they're also filled with totally random ass shit and sound effects and superfluous mellow sections that it's just bizarre, like he's gone senile early.

I don't care about Blaze Bayley but with that shaved head he looks like a lobotomy victim.

I'm still loving NWOBHM/speed metal Trojan. Totally tits over-the-top energy. All you 'Ride the Sky' lovers need to hear 'Chasing the Storm'.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:16 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I'm still loving NWOBHM/speed metal Trojan. Totally tits over-the-top energy. All you 'Ride the Sky' lovers need to hear 'Chasing the Storm'.

Yea its a good album alright, also check out Talion, Zdan recommended them to me ages ago. They are the band that formed out of Trojan releasing just one album, 'Killing the World'. It is also a fine release that was also over-looked.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:50 am 

I've been listening to Battlerage's "Steel Supremacy" lately, it's some pretty damn good riff-tastic heavy/power with a huge guitar tone and a gruff, manly vocalist. Anyone else a fan?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:41 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Accept - Stalingrad has leaked! After 2 listens, I must say it is very good, in the same vein as Blood of the Nations, but more compact, the album is about 50 minutes, my favorite song so far: Shadows Soldier, great semi ballad.

I'm now listening to a playlist of the show I saw last year! Accept is awesome.

Ah, great to hear they trimmed the fat for this one. I'll wait 'till I can buy it though.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:45 pm 

Thanks for the info Tony! It's made my day.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:34 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
I've been listening to Battlerage's "Steel Supremacy" lately, it's some pretty damn good riff-tastic heavy/power with a huge guitar tone and a gruff, manly vocalist. Anyone else a fan?

Yup. I got that album years ago and I still give it some spins every now and then. It's played the way 21st century heavy metal is supposed to be played and definitely has a whole lot of balls. Haven't gotten around to checking out anything else they've done, though.

- John Calvin.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:33 pm 

I really need to revisit some Grave Digger. Currenty listening to ''Rheingold'' which reminds me of a slower but still fucking heavy version of ''Painkiller'' somehow. Great.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:43 pm 

Man, the barrage of stuff I gotta listen to just keeps coming.

Now I've piled up Nostadameus, Evenoire, Tomorrow's Outlook, and fuckin' Accept onto my plate for the days ahead.

I really need to stop downloading new music. My Zune only has 28 GB left.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:27 pm 

STORMM wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Yea its a good album alright, also check out Talion, Zdan recommended them to me ages ago. They are the band that formed out of Trojan releasing just one album, 'Killing the World'. It is also a fine release that was also over-looked.

Yeah definitely wish they did more.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:05 am 

PrinceRhaegar wrote:

Krokus (Swiss), TSA (Poland), Arrow (Swedish), Cacumen (Germany), Tygers of Pan Tang (UK), Riff Raff (Finland), Divlje Jagode (Bosnia), Kirka (Finland), Seikima II (Japan), Samson (UK), Avalon (Holand), Kraken (Colombia)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317 ... 625  Next