Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:19 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Right. Well, I'll also recommend Demoncy, Proclamation and Teitanblood. All three are filthy, murky, mid-paced (though Proclamation can be faster) and lower than average black metal vocals. Especially Teitanblood kicks immense amounts of ass. The mere production of Seven Chalices is boner-inducing.

Demoncy isn't a bad rec, especially the Joined In Darkness monstrosity. Preeety similar to earlier Beherit as well, though thoroughly recommended due to its massive, oppressive atmosphere, and blunt force impact. Seven Chalices is just all kinds of malevolent brilliance.

My collection

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:34 am 

I'm looking for black metal with versatile, soaring guitar work, basic but tasteful drumming, some soft/slower parts, some quirky parts (like a banjo solo),and a general epic/overwhelming feeling to it. Basicaly, something that sounds like Taake's latest album.

Something like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDveAcqmiYg

What I'm NOT looking for: Endless blasting for the sake of blasting.
Bedroom production
Sterile production
Viking metal, a big amount of clean vocals.
Hyper speed.

Thanks!

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:35 pm 

Ithdabquth Qliphoth's "Fyre Walk With Me" fits all those criteria except the banjo, though it opens with a really quirky bit with hell noises and yodeling.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:36 pm 

I couldn't find the exact song, so I listened to Fons Sanguineus Septenarii instead. Pretty good! I'm really liking the guitar tone.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:31 am 

Fyre Walk With Me is not only a song name, but also the album title. Fons Sanguineus Septenarii is from the eponymous debut. The album Fyre Walk With Me (the song Qliphotic Lesser Pentagram) opens with weird noises, the title track opens with a riff.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:24 am 

Glad you like it, though I do think the second album is much better than the first. Definitely check it out.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:00 pm 

"Huge Sapthuran news to come soon!" off of Wraith Production's Facebook page.

I'm sure that's got at least one person here excited. :-D

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:42 pm 

Guys, recommend me some black metal with really natural and rich drum sounds and no excessive triggering. Examples:
The Ruins of Beverast - Unlock The Shrine and Foulest Semen
Grand Belial's Key - Kosherat
Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet
As a non-black metal example, Thyrfing - Vansinnesvisor

Blast beats must be used, but not exclusively. Bassy bass drums (no clicky sound), reverbating and rich snare and toms, cymbals sound like the drums are played next to you. Any style, any country, even fusion genres like viking are acceptable. Just the drums must sound very natural and genuine, are performed without noticeable triggering, and the production/mix must be clear enough so that the drums don't sound excessively distorted, trebly or thin.

You may recommend obvious ones aswell, because even if I'm familiar with a band I might not remember some one album by them having these characteristics.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:40 pm 

hey wrote:
"Huge Sapthuran news to come soon!" off of Wraith Production's Facebook page.

I'm sure that's got at least one person here excited. :-D

Make that two! :beer:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:37 pm 

I only have To the Edge of Land, but I plan on getting some more so I can review something by them that isn't already reviewed.

To the Edge of Land has some cool tracks like IX, but it's mostly just melodic Darkthrone part 667,3 with amateurish acoustic guitar interludes. Good but nothing spectacular.

Now back to my request. :D

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:35 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Guys, recommend me some black metal with really natural and rich drum sounds and no excessive triggering. Examples:
The Ruins of Beverast - Unlock The Shrine and Foulest Semen
Grand Belial's Key - Kosherat
Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet
As a non-black metal example, Thyrfing - Vansinnesvisor

Blast beats must be used, but not exclusively. Bassy bass drums (no clicky sound), reverbating and rich snare and toms, cymbals sound like the drums are played next to you. Any style, any country, even fusion genres like viking are acceptable. Just the drums must sound very natural and genuine, are performed without noticeable triggering, and the production/mix must be clear enough so that the drums don't sound excessively distorted, trebly or thin.

You may recommend obvious ones aswell, because even if I'm familiar with a band I might not remember some one album by them having these characteristics.

I love this drum sound myself Ilwhyan, especially on that Moonsorrow release. I'm sure you know of them but what about Infestus's - E x | I s t album, I find the drums on this release something similar and the production really enhances them imo.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=knX7WobHf5c

Also, the alpine black metallers Rauhnacht also have a great drum sound, I quite enjoy this release that is somewhat overlooked.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1PQA0Fe3mwo

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:43 pm 

Actually, I've never listened to that band, it was hailed as DSBM and/or atmospheric BM everywhere so I've kind of avoided it... Thanks, I'll check this out.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:52 pm 

What about the drums on Bethlehem's first records? No blasting, but they always sounded awesome to me.

Gehena's drums on First Spell sound really warm and natural, though they're not really on the front .

Oh yeah, almost forgot, Iblis's drumming is amazing and I'm quite sure there's no triggering here. It's one of my favourite bands also.
Bass is on the clickier side of the spectrum, but damn I love the sound of the cymbals.

Last edited by garthmargengi on Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slayer85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:52 pm 

Looking for decent black metal in the vein of something kinda cold/atmospheric sound similar to Darkmoon Warrior in which the band talks more about dark, evil topics... As just having all their songs being aimed at satan. No post rock influenced BM please!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:58 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Actually, I've never listened to that band, it was hailed as DSBM and/or atmospheric BM everywhere so I've kind of avoided it... Thanks, I'll check this out.

No prob man, I edited my original post to include Rauhnacht, check them out to.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:25 pm 

slayer85 wrote:
Looking for decent black metal in the vein of something kinda cold/atmospheric sound similar to Darkmoon Warrior in which the band talks more about dark, evil topics... As just having all their songs being aimed at satan. No post rock influenced BM please!

Hmm, maybe Lunar Aurora's - Andacht album, lyrics are in German but the album is mainly very dark and atmospheric, my favourite of theirs.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:14 pm 

I'm looking for later era Immortal worship. Stuff like Byfrost, black/thrash like Aura Noir, you see the like...

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:53 am 

Metantoine wrote:
I'm looking for later era Immortal worship. Stuff like Byfrost, black/thrash like Aura Noir, you see the like...

I have not listened to these cd's in a while Metantoine so I hope the era is not incorrect. Try out Sweden's Rimfrost, I remember them have their thrashy moments and being quite similar to Immortal. Also Drama from Russia, their "Winds Choir Opera" was also Immortal worship but it might be more focused on the earlier Immortal albums if my memory serves me correct. There is another band I am thinking off but can not for the life of me remember their fucking name which is really bugging me! If I remember it I shall post back mate.

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:54 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Quote:

You probably know this but this album might have my favorite black metal drum production.
Svartsyn - Timeless Reign http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92_KxeK1JRM

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:19 pm 

The album is pretty good musically, and the drums are well recorded. The snare tone is a bit odd though, I don't know what settings were used but it sounds a bit like wet cardboard. I prefer the sounds on Verisäkeet, for example, and even Vansinnesvisor. Such richness of sound is fairly uncommon in black metal, sadly.

Infestus, Iblis and Rauhnacht all have cool sounds, thanks.

slayer85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:02 pm 

STORMM wrote:
slayer85 wrote:

Hmm, maybe Lunar Aurora's - Andacht album, lyrics are in German but the album is mainly very dark and atmospheric, my favourite of theirs.

I already have 2 of their latest albums. Any other bands? Im specifically looking for bands doing more traditional 'cold' sounding BM that focus more on other topics than occult/satanism/etc...

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:27 pm 

slayer85 wrote:

I already have 2 of their latest albums. Any other bands? Im specifically looking for bands doing more traditional 'cold' sounding BM that focus more on other topics than occult/satanism/etc...[/quote]

Ok, maybe Imperium Dekadanz, lyrical theme is similar to Darkmoon Warrior's, some in German others in English. Great band all the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX9or1Rdrfc

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:43 pm 

I'm looking for some black metal in the vein of Deathspell Omega. I already know Dead Shell Universe and Dodecahedron.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:03 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

I have not listened to these cd's in a while Metantoine so I hope the era is not incorrect. Try out Sweden's Rimfrost, I remember them have their thrashy moments and being quite similar to Immortal. Also Drama from Russia, their "Winds Choir Opera" was also Immortal worship but it might be more focused on the earlier Immortal albums if my memory serves me correct. There is another band I am thinking off but can not for the life of me remember their fucking name which is really bugging me! If I remember it I shall post back mate.

I'll check them both, thanks dude. I usually like what you like! Yeah, I forgot to mention Old Wainds in my post, I like these Russians too.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

pestilent_god
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:53 am 

Is there black metal bands with stoner rock influence, or at least stoner/doom influence?

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:25 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I'm looking for some black metal in the vein of Deathspell Omega. I already know Dead Shell Universe and Dodecahedron.

Hmm, depends what you mean by that. Are you looking for stuff like early DsO, DsO's later avant-garde/hyper technical stuff, or orthodox black metal in general?

++ I'm looking for albums like Deathcrush: thickly distorted bass, raw production, and a general sound that just barely pre-dates what we know now as the typical black metal riffs and vocals. NME's Unholy Death is another great example of what I'm looking for. It doesn't necessarily have to be made in the 80's as long as it fits the aforementioned pre-requisites.

- John Calvin.

slayer85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:41 am 

STORMM wrote:
slayer85 wrote:

I already have 2 of their latest albums. Any other bands? Im specifically looking for bands doing more traditional 'cold' sounding BM that focus more on other topics than occult/satanism/etc...

Ok, maybe Imperium Dekadanz, lyrical theme is similar to Darkmoon Warrior's, some in German others in English. Great band all the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX9or1Rdrfc[/quote]

This seems intresting! Thanks!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:49 am 

pestilent_god wrote:
Is there black metal bands with stoner rock influence, or at least stoner/doom influence?

Later Nachtmystium and Oranssi Pazuzu is all I know, though Glorior Belli is influenced by stoner/southern rock/metal/doom/stuff. You might also enjoy Creeping from NZ, there seems to be ample Black Sabbath influence in the downtuned, heavy riffing, but it's not very psychedelic.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:33 am 

Metantoine wrote:
I'll check them both, thanks dude. I usually like what you like! Yeah, I forgot to mention Old Wainds in my post, I like these Russians too.

No prob mate, I hope that are similar to what you are after! As for the other band, I still cant remember their name and it is wrecking my brains, though I will not give up yet.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:20 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
pestilent_god wrote:

Later Nachtmystium and Oranssi Pazuzu is all I know, though Glorior Belli is influenced by stoner/southern rock/metal/doom/stuff. You might also enjoy Creeping from NZ, there seems to be ample Black Sabbath influence in the downtuned, heavy riffing, but it's not very psychedelic.

Check out Faustcoven from Norway... it's like the bastard child of "A Blaze in the Northern Sky" and Black Sabbath. At least live.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:53 am 

Any Satanic Warmaster connoisseurs? I have a crush on their Behexen split, or that song Where Eternity Awaits, and I'd like to find out what other material by the band is similar/equally good (and not by-the-numbers raw black metal). Strength and Honour is relatively close.

If you've not heard the split, what material by SW essentially sounds like Baptism, or the song Reborn by Matricide?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:54 am 

0kill wrote:

Hmm, depends what you mean by that. Are you looking for stuff like early DsO, DsO's later avant-garde/hyper technical stuff, or orthodox black metal in general?

I thought the examples made it clear. Definitely the later and more orthodox stuff. Early DsO is pretty typical.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

pestilent_god
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:21 am 

Quote:

Quote:
Check out Faustcoven from Norway... it's like the bastard child of "A Blaze in the Northern Sky" and Black Sabbath. At least live.

Thank you, guys. I already knew of Glorior Belli, I forgot to mention. It's stuff like that i'm looking for. I also knew Oranssi Pazuzu, they didn't really strike me as stone-ish, just plain psychedelic and weird. I also knew about Nachtmystium, but just a couple of songs, checked some more on youtube and yeah, they fit the bill. This opening riff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE6feTxK ... re=related is fucking awesome.

Creeping - Great stuff, I like the guitar tone and the dirty production.
Faustcoven - Has this classic heavy metal vibe that I certainly like, Darkthroney production - really sounds like Sabbath, but I'd rather have something more like Glorior Belli or Nachtmystium. Thank you again.

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:08 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Any Satanic Warmaster connoisseurs? I have a crush on their Behexen split, or that song Where Eternity Awaits, and I'd like to find out what other material by the band is similar/equally good (and not by-the-numbers raw black metal). Strength and Honour is relatively close.

If you've not heard the split, what material by SW essentially sounds like Baptism, or the song Reborn by Matricide?

Satanic Warmaster really kills it. I can give you some of my favorite tunes that may help you to further explore what they have to offer. The entire album Carelian Satanist Madness is pretty damn amazing. For particular songs check out "Vampiric Tyrant", it has a similar feel to "Where Eternity Awaits". Some other notable tracks are "Remembrance of Times Not Forgotten" from The Black Katharsis album. My favorite track would be "Distant Blazing Eye" off of Black Metal Kommando. If you check out any track this would be the one. The title track is pretty awesome as well. I went through a period where I could not stop listening to Satanic Warmaster. Pretty damn addicting.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:55 am 

I listened to "Carelian Satanist Madness" once but didn't hear anything that interesting. I'll have to listen to it again. I already know Black Katharsis, it's cool but a bit calm and slow-paced. Pretty similar to Cosmic Church, really, though not as intricate.

Thanks!

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:01 am 

Yeah, give it another try, CSM is a pretty good album, nothing exceptional but very well done.
The song from the split with Aryan Blood is worth listening to also.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:37 pm 

garthmargengi: I got Iblis - Axioma, and the drums sound very excellent indeed, but fuck, those guys rip off Windir relentlessly. :lol:

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:42 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
garthmargengi: I got Iblis - Axioma, and the drums sound very excellent indeed, but fuck, those guys rip off Windir relentlessly. :lol:

Did I hear Windir being mentioned? If this is the case, being a Windir fanboy I need o check this ASAP!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:50 pm 

Listen to the track La Follia. There were others, but I forgot which. The music style is definitely not similar to Windir, but some ideas or riffs are straight from Windir songs.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:55 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Listen to the track La Follia. There were others, but I forgot which. The music style is definitely not similar to Windir, but some ideas or riffs are straight from Windir songs.

Will do Ilwhyan, thanks guys!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 231  Next