Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:54 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u1s8BVTqIY

I don't have any access to decent monitors here, so I had to mix everything down on my shitty computer speakers. I think I did pretty well, but I know it's not perfect. Any constructive criticisms would be welcome. This EP is already done, so I can't make any changes now, but I can at least make sure my next one is perfect. Thanks!

FearlessUndeadMachines
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:42 am 

Honestly, I couldn't really find much fault with it. It's actually very well done, imo. The mix is pretty solid.

I dunno, I think I probably would have squashed that vocal with a bit more compression, so that it sits down in the mix a little more, but that's a very minor gripe. A lot of people like their dynamics a little more intact than I do.

And this is not a criticism, just an observation; when the song first started, I thought it was going to be some Gothenburg-style death metal. Then, just as I thought I was about to hear some deep growls and roars, I get this very unexpected thrasher dude vocal. It was a surprise. It really changed the character of the song for me. The guitars and drums made me imagine all this badass-gun-metal-grey-HR-Giger-cold-blooded shit, then the vocal made me imagine this Venice Beach kid with a mop of curly hair and a skateboard. Now, the vocal is good; plenty of attitude, well done. It's just not what I expected!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:24 pm 

Yea I agree... I think the vocals should be down a bit lower... like by a couple of db. there is a bit of a disconnect where it's almost sounding like one of those demos when a band is trying out finding a vocalist and all the music sounds one way and then the vocals sound tossed on top. it just doesn't sound intergrated to the song.

maybe a little more bass in the actual song. nice song, not particularly what I like listening to as much anymore... mainly due to the vocals. (as in the style)

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:16 pm 

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it.

Reply to topic