Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:11 am 

Nobody in either the speed metal or death metal rec threads had anything to say, so I'm creating my own thread for it.
TheExodusAttack wrote:
This might be an odd request but bear with me. Some of you may have heard of Revocation, which are supposed to be some sort of new technical death/thrash band. Sounds super boring, right? I thought so to, until I heard this song, which is a pretty interesting modern take on total fucking speed metal. Just listen to the catchy pre-chorus at :56, or the part where the solo speeds up at 2:29. Death metal? Haha yeah right. However, this song is totally fucking awesome and I'm wondering if you guys know anything like it. I.e. super melodic modern speed/thrash metal with a bit of death metal influence only in the drumming and the vocals. Totally awesome meedly-meedly-moo style lead guitars are a must. Anybody up to the challenge? Arsis' debut is also a pretty good indicator of what I'm looking for, as well as this other Revocation track.

Surely somebody else knows some other groups that play in this style? Bonus points for beefy, clean production like the kind Revocation has, and an overtly technical/melodic aspect to the music is appreciated too.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:34 am 

pretty different from each other, yet i find both of these seem to fit fairly well with what you're after:
witchery - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETtsKHlnqkY
son of aurelius - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db5Irsr1VGo

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:15 pm 

Hmm Witchery might be close to what I'm looking for. The fact that they've covered a bunch of traditional metal bands bodes very well. The riffs in that song were more extreme/black metal-ish than I anticipated though. Son of Aurelius were neat but play a far more noodly tech death style than I'd prefer.

Some Havok songs are also a fairly good indicator of what I'm searching for. The riffs are more of a thrash metal style but just hear those huge, catchy choruses! Throw in some never-ending solos and they'd have the sound down pat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGk1pnuD_qw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2BR5W_7kas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN6CgAqXwOQ
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

StellarGraves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:55 pm 

Haha.. I think you somehow asked for "Thrash Metal"..

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:47 pm 

That Revocation song is amazing.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:04 pm 

StellarGraves wrote:
Haha.. I think you somehow asked for "Thrash Metal"..

Not really... Speed metal isn't quite the same thing as thrash, although they cross over into each other a lot of the time. In a perfect world I'd find a band that is basically Savage Grace with growling/blastbeats.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:16 pm 

I'm not giving up yet guys, I still feel like there's still extreme speed metal out there waiting to be found! I thought of another artist in this style, and a super obvious one too: Children of Bodom! Their first two albums are pretty much the exact speed/power metal with growling vocals formula I'm looking for, and the particularly melodic/neoclassical aspect to the guitar solos (as well as their dueling nature at times) is awesome too. However, be clear I'm not looking for exact COB ripoffs, and I don't really want to be recommended anything that has a similar symphonic/keyboard aspect to them. But COB are popular as fuck, so surely somebody ripped off Something Wild and Hatebreeder but was too lazy to hire a keyboardist?

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:51 pm 

Brimstone (from Sweden) played a somewhat-similar style to earlier Bodom, but much less keyboard-based and a bit less flashy. Worth taking a look.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:30 pm 

Yes! This is very relevant to my interests! They might overall not be as fast or solo-heavy as I'm looking for, but I've only heard a few songs so far so I can't quite judge. But this is definitely the best rec so far, these guys rule!

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:25 am 

Try Skeletonwitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDVJ_JpIusc
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:29 am 

Hmm, I remember listening to Beyond the Permafrost a few years ago and it not really doing much for me, but that song definitely has the kind of riffs and solos/lead guitar melodies I'm looking for. I'll check them out again! Anything else?

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:36 am 

(None of these have death metal vocals.)

There's also Children, but they're more of oldschool hard rock-infused thrash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXz187F9Xcw

And there's Zigoku Quartet, who are just really quirky but catchy thrash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9i3zzxYai0

Fog of War are pretty similar to Skeletonwitch, but they're less black: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B79m-FCkxE

Razormaze is pretty much Revocation without their terrible tough-guy vocals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvtd5Djt03U

That's about it from me.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:28 pm 

Children I already know and love. Zigoku Quartet had some great solos and chorus, but the rest of the song was a bit too all over the place to really be speed metal. Fog of War sound like a crossover band with Iron Maiden/Judas Priest melodies... definitely not what I expected, but warrants a few more listens. Razormaze are cool but pretty much straight up thrash, no speed metal riffs or solos to be found. Thank you for your recommendations.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:22 pm 

I'm bringing this back from the dead because I still really want stuff in this style and I was never quite able to find what I was looking for last time. Hope that's okay. Anyways, the thread title says it all. I'm looking for speed/thrash/power metal bands with harsh vocals and blastbeats, pretty much. Generally any sort of power/speed and death metal/melodeath/deathcore/metalcore combination is good by me. Children of Bodom, Revocation, Arsis, etc...

Basically, if "powercore" is a real thing, I wanna hear it! A few more bands I know that kinda fit this description:

3 Inches of Blood - Pretty straightforward power/speed metal stuff with occasional screaming. Think this, but with some extreme metal drumming too. These guys were pretty popular when they first came out so you think there would be a few bands copying them?

A Plea for Purging - Mid 2000s metalcore/deathcore with a lot of traditional metal influence in the guitar leads and song structures.

Protest the Hero - Technical/progressive metalcore with tons of shredding and a really versatile singer than runs the gamut between powerful cleans and harsher moments.

Exmortus - Technical and melodic speed/thrash metal with some power metal influence as well as great harsh vocals and extreme metal drumming. From what I heard of their newest album they dropped all the extreme parts and were just a dolled up speed metal band. Too bad, they had so much hype back in the Socal scene back in the day...

Arghoslent - These guys are basically a melodeath band but they have tons of classic metal influence in the riffing and solos. Vocals and drumming are pretty much spot on, though they could use some blast beats.

Also, although their influences are more of the Manilla Road/epic/traditional style rather than speed metal, Grand Belial's Key is kind of an indicator of what I'm getting at: classic/traditional metal permeating a more extreme framework. I guess they're from the same scene as Arghoslent so that makes sense. The Chasm also kinda does this: at certain moments I can't tell whether they're an extreme form of epic/traditional metal or just a really fruity, bombastic death metal band. GBK and the Chasm aren't quite as fast with the SWEET ROCKIN SOLOS I want but they're just a more midpaced version of what I'm looking for.

Ricin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:40 pm 

Vornagar is a definite maybe
High speed melodeath with some serious aggression and fast drumming
Listen to Hyperion and Ballad For A Dying Race especially
http://www.myspace.com/vornagar

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:15 pm 

Ghoul http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEsy0e9l6r4 thrash metal with death metal vocals

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:11 pm 

Vornagar was pretty sweet. Definitely some unique, brutal stuff as far as melodeath goes. Don't really have enough solos but the melodic riffs are on point most of the time, and the choruses bear some of the speed metal catchiness I'm looking for.

Ghoul is alright but not really what I'm looking for. It's important to understand here that speed metal and thrash metal are not the same thing, merely two different styles which share common ground. Ghoul doesn't have nearly as much melody or guitar solos as I'm desiring. Think Walls of Jericho-era Helloween with death growls and blast beats.

Vektor somewhat falls into this sub-sub-sub-category I'm looking for as well. They have a lot of extraneous technical/progressive thrash in their sound (which I can understand make the distinciton between thrash and speed metal confusing), but at the heart they've got the basics: complex extreme metal drumming, a harsh vocalist, and intense melodicism/guitar solos. Big, catchy choruses that hook you in like from 1:40 to 2:15 are a must!

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:18 pm 

Death of Kings might interest you
http://deathofkings.bandcamp.com/releases
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:22 am 

Deathroner - Death To All

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:52 am 

Kiuas might be right up your alley. They're more power metal, but they inject a lot of speed from their death metal influences, so you might find them similar to Children of Bodom in the riffing department. The vocals are mostly clean, but they do get pretty rough or harsh in some songs. I can only suggest their first two albums since I don't own anything after. Try the opening tracks, The Spirit of Ukko and Race with the Falcons (bear in mind the quality is terrible, I can't find many uploads of them on YouTube).

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:01 am 

Death of Kings isn't as extreme as I was hoping for, but they are damn good and have the basic format down. They have more of a midpaced power/thrash metal approach, but overall it's a great blend of traditional metal with some more extreme elements.

Deathroner is basically just plain raw speed metal. The reason I specified "modern" in the title of the thread is because this is exactly the kind of band I'm not interested in. I don't want early extreme metal bands (or modern bands that emulate them) with that sound that crossed all genre barriers, where you can't tell if its speed metal, thrash, death metal, black metal, etc. I want bands with the modern death metal approach of today (brutal vocals, blast beats, impressive technicality, etc) that go back and apply it to the songwriting of speed metal, like Revocation do.

Kiuas is awesome! The solos and chorus of "Race With the Falcons" had me sold. Great blend of fast and midpaced, the vocalist focuses on a melodic approach that works, and the keys work well too. Haven't found any blastbeats yet, oh well. Gonna have to get some of their albums.

Reply to topic