Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:35 pm 

Apparently Sleep have finally had their input on the mastering of Dopesmoker and it appears it will be the definitive version along with new artwork.
Southern Lord has announced a deluxe reissue of one of the towering achievements in metal history, "Dopesmoker" by SLEEP.

"For the 2012 reissue, there are some very notable changes. The original studio tapes have been remastered, presenting the album as the band had originally intended. The audio is clearer, louder, and at last brings a true representation of SLEEP's hour-plus Weedian chronicle. Exclusive to this Southern Lord edition is brand new artwork by longtime SLEEP artist Arik Roper, to be unveiled in the coming weeks. Additionally, this reborn version of "Dopesmoker" boasts an unreleased live recording of one of the band's best all-time performances: "Holy Mountain" from San Francisco's I-Beam in 1994.

This edition ensures that this mesmerizing, incredibly complex document remains unrivaled in the annals of stoner metal."

"Dopesmoker" track listing:

01. Dopesmoker (1:03:31)
02. Holy Mountain (Live @ the I-Beam SF, CA. 1994) (11:54)

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla ... mID=170980

I think it's fucking spectacular that Southern Lord are taking care of this. They never do wrong especially with packaging and artwork.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:45 pm 

I've got the digipack reissue with the Sonic Titan bonus track and it sounds perfectly fine to me. I'd be curious to hear some samples from the remaster but cleaner and louder aren't really attributes that I think will help my enjoyment. You're right about Southern Lord knowing how to perdy up a package but I can't see buying another version of this.

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:17 pm 

Sweet. I will probably try and pick this up at some point. I used to have Jerusalem, but I never liked how the song was split into multiple tracks.

RottingWays
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:56 pm 

I always wanted to get this but all the copies online were way too expensive. I will definitely buy this one.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:00 pm 

everything is "louder" these days, it's not [always] a good thing.
i've got he tee pee records digipak reissue too: http://www.discogs.com/Sleep-Dopesmoker/release/505500

Count Dirt Nap
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:32 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
everything is "louder" these days, it's not [always] a good thing.
i've got he tee pee records digipak reissue too: http://www.discogs.com/Sleep-Dopesmoker/release/505500

Yeah. The loudness wars plagues every corner of music these days.

Ive already sat through the whole song so I wont be doing that again

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:45 pm 

the blurb they put in that reissue sounded like they were happy with it
Quote:
Dopesmoker is an alternate version of Jerusalem that we felt our fans might enjoy. This early version, as yet unheard, contains a more dynamic recording and a heavier mix. So get high, crank it up and listen with open ears and mind.
i prefer sons of otis :p

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:29 am 

The only Sleep album I own is Holy Mountain so this is most certainly relevant to my interests.

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:49 pm 

And only a few months after I paid too much for the CD reissue. Oh well, I'm a sucker, so I'll probably grab this one too.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:03 pm 

Cool news. On a sidenote, any news on the new Shrinebuilder album!?

eaters_of_the_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:29 pm 

Sounds like a pretty excellent remaster/re-release. I don't have any version of this album so I just might have to buy this, or at least see if it makes the older version cheaper.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:40 pm 

zzerk wrote:
And only a few months after I paid too much for the CD reissue. Oh well, I'm a sucker, so I'll probably grab this one too.
yeah fuck, me too :nono: :ugh:

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:31 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I've got the digipack reissue with the Sonic Titan bonus track and it sounds perfectly fine to me. I'd be curious to hear some samples from the remaster but cleaner and louder aren't really attributes that I think will help my enjoyment. You're right about Southern Lord knowing how to perdy up a package but I can't see buying another version of this.

I have this version too. It's great. New reissue seems pointless unless you really want it on vinyl.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:44 pm 

so does this mean the value of my tee pee reissue goes up or down?! :scratch:

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:17 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
New reissue seems pointless unless you really want it on vinyl.

Agreed. It's great this is getting the Southern Lord treatment because hell knows I am not paying $80+ for the Tee Pee version on vinyl. Interesting that they are using the same guy who did the artwork for the Tee Pee version.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:30 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
The only Sleep album I own is Holy Mountain so this is most certainly relevant to my interests.

Personally, I love Sleep's Holy Mountain, but hate Jerusalem/Dopesmoker. It's way too damn repetitive, on a riff that never excited me in the first place.

Holy Mountain should get a remaster. It's a great album, but the sound quality is horrible.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:59 pm 

Wow really? My CD copy of Holy Mountain sounds amazing. Never heard the vinyl but I can't imagine it being much different. There's a lot less roughness/distortion on that album, just big open Sabbath-worshipping tones.

Count Dirt Nap
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:16 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

Personally, I love Sleep's Holy Mountain, but hate Jerusalem/Dopesmoker. It's way too damn repetitive, on a riff that never excited me in the first place.

Holy Mountain should get a remaster. It's a great album, but the sound quality is horrible.

I feel the same way. I never got the appeal of dopesmoker

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:42 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

Holy Mountain has been remastered, only on the Kreation Records LPs, though. I think the sound is fine on the original: muddy, but it works.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:05 pm 

Jonpo wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure why it'd need a remaster. if the packaging is brilliant I might be down... but I'm pretty happy with my version as is, the artwork is already totally killer. Plus, it's something I listen to once a month tops, so I can't really justify buying another copy of the same thing. I should get Holy Mountain at some time though, heard so many good things...

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:02 pm 

Holy Mountain is amazing but you would definitely need to drop any and all expectations for something comparable to Dopesmoker. That album is a fucking merciless journey through alien deserts. Holy Mountain is a lot more catchy and immediate, and I've always thought it had a fairly open 70s sounding production/mix so I'm surprised to see all this talk of it needing a remaster.

treebeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:37 pm 

I can't believe they're gonna make remove a lot of the fuzz from this. It makes no sense!!!!!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:11 pm 

The spacey production on Holy Mountain was perfect for the music, part of the charm was in how little extra noise and unnecessary thickness to the sound there was. It sounds like a stoner jam session.

I'm interested to hear how Dopesmoker sounds when remastered, I've seen them play it live twice and I think the guitar sound on the album wasn't as thick as intended. The noise and fuzz seemed to overpower the warmth and wetness of the amp-worship sound.

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:35 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
I've seen them play it live twice and I...

You don't know how lucky you are. :eek:

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:40 am 

This sounds interesting! I already have the digipack edition of this, but will most likely get this new edition to.

Also, I am seeing them live 5 may in Oslo! :D

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:09 pm 

693 wrote:

Wino's busy with Saint Vitus and Dale with the Melvins, plus I think Neurosis is working on something new, so, I think Shrinebuilder won't happen for a while.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:37 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
693 wrote:

Wino's busy with Saint Vitus and Dale with the Melvins, plus I think Neurosis is working on something new, so, I think Shrinebuilder won't happen for a while.

I remember hearing about them working on a sophomore release but that was at least two years ago when they were talking about it. I'm definitely excited for new Saint Vitus and Melvins but a new Shrinebuilder would most certainly be welcome this year.

treebeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:40 pm 

I saw Shrinebuilder at Scion Fest in 2010 and they were just... not good...

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:50 am 

caspian wrote:
I should get Holy Mountain at some time though, heard so many good things...

Dude! You really should have heard it. Great listen. Closer to Master Of Reality than Dopesmoker though.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:00 am 

Is the 2009 digipak of Holy Mountain remastered?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:00 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:

I didn't even know there was a 2009 digipack. I'd be interested in this information too.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:43 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:

I don't think so. A few friends purchased it recently and their copies sound the same as mine, not positive if they have the digipak though. I even have it on cassette :D

It's generally advertised as being remastered if it is, especially through a label like Earache. I don't think anyone wants it to be remastered - the original recording was sent out as a demo and released exactly as it was.

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:43 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
lennonlikesmetal wrote:

I don't think so. A few friends purchased it recently and their copies sound the same as mine, not positive if they have the digipak though. I even have it on cassette :D

It's generally advertised as being remastered if it is, especially through a label like Earache. I don't think anyone wants it to be remastered - the original recording was sent out as a demo and released exactly as it was.

According to discogs, it's not remastered. This release doesn't state that it's a digi except in the picture. If you look at the sticker you can see where it says digipak.

http://www.discogs.com/Sleep-Sleeps-Holy-Mountain/release/1833137

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:02 pm 

The new cover art has been released. Another cool piece by Arik Roper, as always.

http://www.earsplitcompound.com/site/2012/04/02/sleep-dopesmoker-deluxe-reissue-cover-art-revealed/

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:49 pm 

That's some lame Star Wars fanfiction artwork there.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:52 pm 

It looks amazing to me. I guess it helps if you're familiar with the Dopesmoker storyline...The weed priests look a little more encumbered than I originally envisioned but I really dig it, especially their tanks which I assume are feeding them constant chronic smoke... I'm still not planning on replacing my perfectly good copy but I wish I could swap covers.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:24 pm 

Oh yeah, the Pacman logo is just awesome.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:51 pm 

Wow, that's beautiful. The weed priests look a lot like a cross between Jawas and Tusken Raiders. I think I might have found a new desktop background.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:03 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Wow, that's beautiful. The weed priests look a lot like a cross between Jawas and Tusken Raiders. I think I might have found a new desktop background.

Please shoot me a PM if you find one in a suitable size. That was THE first things I started looking for when I saw it.

The logo is definitely different, and a bit arcade-y, but I think the colors reaaaaallly work well together. I could care less which logo they use.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:06 pm 

If anybody cares, Daymare Recordings is going to be releasing this reissue in Japan, but it'll be a 2CD set. The first disc will have the Dopesmoker song, and disc 2 will have two songs: "Holy Mountain" (Live), and "Sonic Titan"

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next