Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:42 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
This would only interest me if it sounded like Enslaved.

What if in turn the next Enslaved sounded like Soulfly? :P

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:36 pm 

I would give up all material possessions and exile myself to Tibet.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:57 pm 

After listening to this a little more, it's not a BAD album. It's not great, either. There are a few songs that I really like, but it's ultimately forgettable. The Cavalera Conspiracy albums are better. I honestly haven't kept up with Soulfly at all, and don't even think I've listened to their past few albums. Enslaved is a far cry from the Jumpdafuckup days, though. I don't think continuing with the Soulfly name has earned him any favors, because this sounds nothing like what I remember of Soulfly and it's certainly made me avoid their newer albums anyway.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:20 pm 

There's a couple of good songs here and there, some of my favorites are the ones that leaked before the album itself did. I haven't heard any bonus tracks, but I do plan on getting the deluxe version if Soulfly brings it along on tour...

They are touring and playing a show in my hometown, so I'm pretty stoked for that! I haven't seen them since before they released Conquer.

They are touring with Incite, which is Max's stepson Richie's band. And Lady Kong who I never heard of.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:59 am 

It's a great album in my opinion. Easily the best thing Max has done since Chaos A.D.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:19 pm 

This IS a metal album, and quite good, nothing memorable,but good non theless. Is Soulfly a part of MA now? mmm, I don{tknow why, but I don´t think that should happen, but the rules are the rules...
Not hearsay but the will of man

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:25 pm 

Reminder wrote:
This thread is not the place to argue for or against Soulfly's inclusion into the Metal-Archives.

With that in mind, I posted in the appropriate thread and sent links to the album to a couple mods/admins. I only hope this time around the response is a bit more prompt.

Even if a decision is made I don't think it'll be announced today. The album's release date is March 13, so if Enslaved is deemed acceptable for the mods technically the band cannot be added until then. Which is tomorrow.

---

So has anyone heard the bonus tracks?

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:39 pm 

I have. Slave and Bastards are good enough tracks that could have been on the main album lineup if Max wanted to put them there, and Soulfly VIII is the best of the self titled album enders.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:44 pm 

Soulfly should be added to the archives after Enslaved is released, but I'm expecting some hilarious reviews from the jumpdafuckup albums.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:26 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Soulfly should be added to the archives after Enslaved is released, but I'm expecting some hilarious reviews from the jumpdafuckup albums.

I'm expecting half the reviews for Enslaved to be nothing more than "Yeah, it's BARELY metal, but Max still blows horses."

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:35 pm 

I'd say more than barely, since I've thought they were BARELY metal three albums ago, and have since become rather metal. But those albums are still terrible. But I am looking forward to seeing reviews for the true originator of Jumpdafuckup.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:37 pm 

I'd say I'm anticipating reviews for those early albums way more than anything else related to Soulfly. The laugh factor is worth more than the band, to me.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:14 am 

The best thing about Soulfly possibly being added to MA is that Fred Durst does guest vocals on their first album, which would mean that he would get an MA musician page, which would be pretty funny.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:38 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I'd say more than barely, since I've thought they were BARELY metal three albums ago, and have since become rather metal. But those albums are still terrible. But I am looking forward to seeing reviews for the true originator of Jumpdafuckup.

They've been getting more and more "real" since Dark Ages, and since Enslaved is filled to the brim with death metal I'd say that Soulfly being added to the archives is imminent.

And yes, the reviews of the first few albums will be hilarious.

WorldScum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:30 am 

I don't care if you're going to add them or not, and I don't care for that genre bullshit. Whatever it is, I dig it.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:28 pm 

World Scum came in the mail yesterday. I have been listening to the new Cannibal Corpse album so much that I havnt even listened to anything off this yet. Later on today I am going to give it a listen. Hopefully I will like it as much as everyone else. I remember hearing the singles they released and wishing they were just Cavalera Conspiracy tracks. I liked the groove stuff on the last few Soulfly albums. Oh well, good music is good music. And just to add, Soulfly should of been added to MA at least 4 albums ago. But things are how they are and I've learned to take it with a grain of salt.

Pedr00
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:50 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I have. Slave and Bastards are good enough tracks that could have been on the main album lineup .

Indeed. Resistance is the worst track and could be easily substituted by one of these.
btw, any news if the moderators will now accept Soulfly on MA?

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:46 pm 

Pedr00 wrote:
btw, any news if the moderators will now accept Soulfly on MA?

Post from a moderator:
Derigin wrote:
We're in the process of reviewing Soulfly again. We have done so with every album they've released recently. But with the latest album, we're doing another review.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:57 am 

I heard their new single "World Scum" (I think?) on XM radio a few hours ago. It was actually pretty good. It was a nice surprise. I still can't get over those vocals though. They're not good...not in my opinion, anyway.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:45 pm 

hahaha, I love this album, no mindblowing or damn original, but seems that max took where he left after Chaos AD. PLTA O PLOMOOO hahaha

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:53 pm 

It's just meh. It's so meh that it's a waste of words talking about it. This wouldn't even remotely be a blip on my radar if it wasn't Soulfly.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:32 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
It's just meh. It's so meh that it's a waste of words talking about it. This wouldn't even remotely be a blip on my radar if it wasn't Soulfly.

Yes, is not the ultimate metal album, but is a lot of fun non the less

_MachineGodMessiah_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:53 pm 

I agree. It's not exactly anything he hasn't truly done before, but it's a great improvement and it's a pretty good release overall!

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:47 am 

How does this album compare to Omen and Conquer (for those who also like those albums, preferably)?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:24 am 

It's very death metal. There's a lot of blasting and tremolo picking, and even some death growling on it from Travis Ryan and Tony Campos. The riffing is more technical in songs like Treachery and songs like Gladiator retain the old Soulfly vibe while keeping the new sound. There's even a punk vibe in songs like Intervention. It's in a nutshell what Dark Ages, Omen, and Conquer have been evolving and leading up to.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:28 pm 

Audio quality on this video is so-so, but I found this neat since Travis Ryan is invited on stage to perform World Scum with Soulfly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLqId6otTFI

Also this article contains an interview, along with an interesting comment that says Enslaved is the heaviest album Max has done since Beneath The Remains

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainme ... re/9967413

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:33 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Also this article contains an interview, along with an interesting comment that says Enslaved is the heaviest album Max has done since Beneath The Remains

Common sense is so... interesting.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:15 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
How does this album compare to Omen and Conquer (for those who also like those albums, preferably)?

Conquer is the best Soulfly album so far imo (like most here, the first ....4? or so I don't bother with). The songs are generally a tad slower than on Enslaved, and the drumming is nowhere near as death metal-inspired, but I'd say it's better composed than Enslaved.
Omen wasn't as good really - sounded like leftovers from Conquer. Anyway, here are a couple of songs from Conquer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHOSjT8gQXY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9d8Bx_SAkI
(this song is not really their usual style, but it's crushingly heavy... a little crowbar-esque?)

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:27 pm 

Touching the Void is one of my favorite Soulfly songs.

As for which albums to not bother with, definitely the first two. Those are unambiguously nu-metal. '3' is still nu-metal but there are hardcore and some groove metal parts. Prophecy is where the shift toward a groove/death/thrash sound occurred (look at songs like Execution Style, Mars and Defeat U - not nu-metal, but more of a crossover/groove style)- though there is still nu-metal on this and Dark Ages. On Dark Ages, there is still that earlier nu-metal groove that Soulfly had, as well as the world music experimentation that was sprinkled everywhere on their earlier albums (Some of these experimental songs aren't bad, even off the first two records)

Conquer completely shed any trace of nu-metal riffing, and though it still confuses me why some still hear nu-metal on this record, the guitar tone, tuning and sound and such is pretty much the same as their previous albums. Same with Omen, but it seems they changed it significantly for Enslaved.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:54 am 

I've been hearing it a lot on the Directv music channels past couple days. Certainly some of their heavier stuff, but has that sickening sort of generic mash of everything feel that is plaguing every so called death metal band on those same channels.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:56 pm 

They're now on MA, guys. It's probably Goatfangs' greatest life achievement!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Shutdown
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:58 pm 

I have to stop liking metal thanks to you, Goatfangs. I hope you're pleased with yourself.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:59 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Oh wow, history has been fucking made.

last.fm

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 am 

Metantoine wrote:

aww shucks :roll:

Shutdown wrote:
I have to stop liking metal thanks to you, Goatfangs. I hope you're pleased with yourself.

Might I suggest Jazz then? Weather Report and Miles Davis might be a good place to start.

I just got a funny idea for a review challenge. Since now there are suddenly 8 full length albums of a well known metal band that are currently virgins to being reviewed on the Metal Archives, they need to be deflowered. Winners could be chosen from categories like Funniest, Best Written, Most Creative, etc...

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:39 am 

Oh wow yeah they're here.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:04 am 

grrrreat succes! now i guess this topic can be moved to 'Metal Discussion' :p

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:12 am 

Metantoine wrote:

Hahaha! The four year crusade is finally over. How do you feel Goatfangs?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

FASHIONME
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:07 am 

Although he'd never recorded in studio, Logan Mader was a full member of Soulfly. David Ellefson and Danny Lilker were live members when Bobby Burns suffered a stroke back in 2006 http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla ... emID=58697.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:04 am 

The reviews for their early albums are gonna be hilarious.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:14 am 

Methinks they will be less than hilarious...more like annoying and amateurish.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║