Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
false_icon
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:52 am
Posts: 483
Location: France
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:45 am 
 

Hi,
what is the consensus on non-latin album titles? Should the title include an english translation?

Example (the cover states only a cyrillic title):
В Морях Эгира or В Морях Эгира (Wolves Chambers)?

I thought the first way was correct and that translation should only go into additional notes, but I recently got confusing information from one of my reports.

Thanks.
_________________
Rild about Czechs wrote:
ghoulash eating neo-soviet despots.

my trade list

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 5563
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:09 am 
 

Usually, what is shown on the cover takes precedence. Only the title itself should be entered.

If the cover in fact shows "В Морях Эгира (Wolves Chambers)" then that's what you put in the title. If only "В Морях Эгира", you enter that. Any transliterations and translations can be put in the additional notes.

Could you link to the confusing report?
_________________
theunrelentingattack wrote:
i've whitelisted Whores

Last.fm | Collection

Top
 Profile  
Kjetter
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:21 am
Posts: 34
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:38 am 
 

What are you to do when the release in question exists in both variants? Would the "foreign" or the English titles go in the additional notes?

Top
 Profile  
false_icon
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:52 am
Posts: 483
Location: France
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:06 am 
 

Azmodes wrote:
Usually, what is shown on the cover takes precedence. Only the title itself should be entered.

If the cover in fact shows "В Морях Эгира (Wolves Chambers)" then that's what you put in the title. If only "В Морях Эгира", you enter that. Any transliterations and translations can be put in the additional notes.

Could you link to the confusing report?

Thanks for your answer.

Here is a link to the report: http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/366316/show
and the album cover:
Image
_________________
Rild about Czechs wrote:
ghoulash eating neo-soviet despots.

my trade list

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 5563
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:51 am 
 

Kjetter wrote:
What are you to do when the release in question exists in both variants? Would the "foreign" or the English titles go in the additional notes?

Good question. Maybe enter both, either one in parentheses or separated by a "/" and explain further in the notes? Maybe there's already been a discussion about it. I'd like to know what, say, Evenfiel's thoughts are on this. See also here: viewtopic.php?p=1990756#p1990756

false_icon wrote:

Argus Monitor is a relatively new mod, so he probably thought that was the standard. It is not, to my knowledge.
_________________
theunrelentingattack wrote:
i've whitelisted Whores

Last.fm | Collection


Last edited by Azmodes on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Fulgurius
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:51 am
Posts: 1067
Location: Ukraine
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:52 am 
 

For the record, in false_icon's example it should have been "Волчьи Чертоги (Wolves Chambers)", he probably copied wrong title.
And yes, translations should go to additional notes, unless both versions appear on the cover like in Drudkh albums.

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 5563
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:58 am 
 

See also sofeshue's OP here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=78802 (beginning with the "What is key information?" part)
_________________
theunrelentingattack wrote:
i've whitelisted Whores

Last.fm | Collection

Top
 Profile  
false_icon
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:52 am
Posts: 483
Location: France
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:22 am 
 

Fulgurius wrote:
For the record, in false_icon's example it should have been "Волчьи Чертоги (Wolves Chambers)", he probably copied wrong title.

:ugh: I seriously need to learn Russian...
_________________
Rild about Czechs wrote:
ghoulash eating neo-soviet despots.

my trade list

Top
 Profile  
Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 9:50 am
Posts: 6144
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:44 pm 
 

Kjetter wrote:
What are you to do when the release in question exists in both variants? Would the "foreign" or the English titles go in the additional notes?

Just separate the names using a slash and write about it in the additional notes, like here:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ra ... sive/34613

Top
 Profile  
Argus Monitor
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:55 pm
Posts: 48
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:21 pm 
 

false_icon wrote:

Quote:
Argus Monitor is a relatively new mod, so he probably thought that was the standard. It is not, to my knowledge.


Indeed I did, sorry about that false_icon, I've answered many of your reports and you are a good contributor.

Top
 Profile  
false_icon
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:52 am
Posts: 483
Location: France
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:39 am 
 

No big deal Argus Monitor, I was just confused about what to do.
_________________
Rild about Czechs wrote:
ghoulash eating neo-soviet despots.

my trade list

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aeternus1990, MonumentalBlackArt and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group