Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:41 pm 
 

SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:
Is Court McGee fighting on this card? I love that dude...great story, great personality, great fighter. I'm mostly looking forward to Kampman making Alves looks stupid though...Martin seems to make all of his opponents look like screeching noobs, somehow. At first I didn't think much of him, but the last few fights that Martin's been in have been great - and he got robbed hard against Diego The Vampire Slayer Sanchez.


Yeah, Court McGee is fighting Constantinos Philippou tonight.

I personally think Kampmann is great as well. Don't know why he tried to grapple w/Shields at 121 (stupid decision, IMO, playing right into Shields' strength), but otherwise he's a ace MMArtist and a solid top 10 WW.

And LOL @ Diego "The Vampire Slayer". Too funny. Diego's weird guy. Good fighter, but weird guy.
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Posts: 778
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:47 pm 
 

Ha, I love Diego's fighting, but that kid cannot SHUT UP about his religion. He's gone to gyms around the country to give training seminars, help, etc....and he brings up Jesus at every one of them....not to mention every fight and almost every interview. When he came out with that cross for the Ellenberger fight, and Kenny Florian said "I dunno if Diego's trying to ward off vampires or what..." I nearly pissed myself.

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:13 pm 
 

SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:
Ha, I love Diego's fighting, but that kid cannot SHUT UP about his religion. He's gone to gyms around the country to give training seminars, help, etc....and he brings up Jesus at every one of them....not to mention every fight and almost every interview. When he came out with that cross for the Ellenberger fight, and Kenny Florian said "I dunno if Diego's trying to ward off vampires or what..." I nearly pissed myself.


Well, the religion bit is certainly nutty (I feel the same about Bendo, and anyone else, haha), that not what I meant by "weird". I was talking about the whole "YES!" thing for one of his walkouts as well as the whole naked? back-flipping thing (I believe this was from his time on TUF). Totally weird.

Great fighter, though.
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
AIMOVORIA
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:29 pm
Posts: 34
Location: China
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:16 pm 
 

guys, wait... does anyone here do Shaolin Kung Fu? just curious.
_________________
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every moment of it!

Top
 Profile  
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 3867
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:45 pm 
 

I assume people who like mma like to fight, not dance around prettily :P
_________________
and we are born
from the same womb
and hewn from
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Top
 Profile  
SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Posts: 778
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:40 am 
 

Lol Alves.....KAMPMANN IS THE MAN!!!!

Top
 Profile  
SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Posts: 778
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:42 am 
 

Nahsil wrote:
I assume people who like mma like to fight, not dance around prettily :P



Tell that to Lyoto Machida! :P

Ok, sorry, couldn't resist. But to expand on that, Kung Fu is not conducive for mma, as a lot of the moves in KF are designed to incapacitate an opponent, and hence are disallowed in the unified rules.

Top
 Profile  
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm
Posts: 2145
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:06 am 
 

"Kung Fu" refers to hundreds of different styles, though some are definitely more suited than others for mma. I for one would really like to see bajiquan strikers in mma. AFAIK, there's this guy Rafael Matute who trained in that style under Su Yu-Chang who went on to win muay thai tournaments in Bangkok for a number of consecutive years? Hell I don't know the details of that story, but from what I've seen and read about bajiquan, I must say that it's a pretty fascinating and focused discipline that's definitely not the same as the dancing acrobatic stuff we've come to expect from modern wushu in general.

Has anyone seen Tate vs. Rousey? Tate's arm got fucked up, although thankfully she didn't suffer any broken bones. Still, what a display of heart from her part, and what a wicked armbar by Rousey. WMMA FTW!

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:16 am 
 

kingnuuuur wrote:
Has anyone seen Tate vs. Rousey? Tate's arm got fucked up, although thankfully she didn't suffer any broken bones. Still, what a display of heart from her part, and what a wicked armbar by Rousey. WMMA FTW!


I did not see the fight, but I did read the play by play as it was happening live on Sherdog, and did see the pic after the fact. Absolutely sickening.

However, I am disappointed in the result. I will acknowledge that Rousey was the superior athlete that night (as she has been in her previous fights), but I am personally not a fan of the trash talking, unsportsman like element that people like Rousey (and others like Sonnen, Diaz bros, etc.) bring to the sport. I am always going to be about sport over spectacle, competition over entertainment. But that's me.

At any rate, I guess I was more disappointed in Tate in that she a) allowed Rousey to beat her mentally long before they entered the cage and b) she knew the armbar was coming, and still got trapped in it. She needed to fight strategically on the feet and wear Rousey down over the course of the 5 rounds in search of a late finish.

I don't see anyone being able to dethrone Rousey for quite a while, with one exception (whether or not that speaks on the lack of depth in WMMA is something else entirely). They are hyping Sarah Kaufman, and she's got a decent win record (including one over Tate) with one loss to Marloes Coenen. She'll be a definite challenge for Rousey, as would Coenen, but it’s debatable whether or not either one could beat her. The only woman I'd heavily favor over Rousey is Cyborg, but sadly all of Cyborg's wins going forward will be likely tainted with steroid accusations (especially if Rousey of all people goes on the verbal attack-she’s gone so far as to try and discredit Cyborg with insinuations towards hermaphroditism/transgenderism).
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
somefella
Veteran

Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:57 pm
Posts: 2662
Location: Singapore
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:03 pm 
 

Anyone else here a big fan of Jon Jones? I misliked his overall style initially and to some degree still do. But you can't deny how it's unorthodox and just flat-out weird nature makes most of his opponents look like amateurs. Rampage didn't land a single punch on him, RAMPAGE, and Lyoto Machida looked like a BJJ trainee while battling it out with JJ. Man, the dude's gonna stay on the top for a LONG time.

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:20 pm 
 

somefella wrote:
Anyone else here a big fan of Jon Jones? I misliked his overall style initially and to some degree still do. But you can't deny how it's unorthodox and just flat-out weird nature makes most of his opponents look like amateurs. Rampage didn't land a single punch on him, RAMPAGE, and Lyoto Machida looked like a BJJ trainee while battling it out with JJ. Man, the dude's gonna stay on the top for a LONG time.


I dig Bones Jones a great deal. He gets a LOT of hate (mostly on dedicated MMA boards) for percieved arrogance or cockiness (I personally don't see it), and the christianity bit is nutty as always, but he's a beast in the cage. I agree that he will likely have a long title reign at LHW and will also eventually make significant noise at HW. However, Rashad and Hendo represent his stiffest tests thus far. Past those two you have Gufstafsson as the next likely contender (if his tear continues), and other potential contenders in Teixeira and Te Huma. Maybe Thiago Silva.

He's got some serious GOAT potential, if he keeps racking up wins and title defenses to rival Fedor's and Anderson Silva's respective streaks.
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm
Posts: 2145
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:03 pm 
 

somefella wrote:
Anyone else here a big fan of Jon Jones? I misliked his overall style initially and to some degree still do. But you can't deny how it's unorthodox and just flat-out weird nature makes most of his opponents look like amateurs. Rampage didn't land a single punch on him, RAMPAGE, and Lyoto Machida looked like a BJJ trainee while battling it out with JJ. Man, the dude's gonna stay on the top for a LONG time.

There's nothing weird about his style, he's just well rounded. Strike from distance, grapple up close, mission accomplished. Rampage couldn't beat him because he was afraid to throw leg kicks and his footwork made him look pretty much like a sitting duck. Machida, as much as I like him, was too much reliant on evasion and counterstriking. IIRC, it's when he got backed up against the cage that Jones got to him, twice. I don't see Hendo beating him other than by slipping his overhand right early, almost like he did against Shogun. Otherwise, Jones's got the better cardio and will outlast him for sure. Rashad is probably the only person who could beat him, but the odds would still be against him.

I miss Marloes Coenen. She's probably my favourite woman fighter, but I guess as long as she's with Golden Glory we won't see her back again anytime soon in Strikeforce.

Top
 Profile  
Anderson Silva
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:31 pm
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:26 pm 
 

I hate Jones for beating Rampage and Machida. I hope Rashad knocks him out cold, but I don't see that happening...but yeah, I don't see him losing any time soon, unfortunately.

Speaking of Lyoto, I think he'll get Bader next which is a bad match up for Bader; I don't think he can catch him standing and I don't think he can take him down either. Lyoto via UD or maybe a late TKO.

Top
 Profile  
SangreV
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 pm
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:03 am 
 

I'm rather indifferent to Jon Jones. And anytime someone is praised like he is, there will be a polar reaction with many detractors. Also, it doesn't help that his personality rubs people the wrong way. He's definitely talented but I'm not entirely sold on his striking yet; he's got some great weapons but overall it just looks a bit green to me, but he'll get better over time.

Rampage would have fared better had he been more aggressive. A plodding, flat-footed Rampage with a tiny reach, waiting in the centre of the Octagon is utterly futile against someone with an enormous reach like Jones.

I predicted Lyoto would beat Jones but I was wrong, the finish to that fight was very impressive. I hope Lyoto doesn't get Bader next though...That would be an pointless fight in my opinion, and I'd rather see Lyoto fight someone better and work his way to another title fight.

Top
 Profile  
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm
Posts: 4001
Location: At the Heat of Winter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:36 pm 
 

I wanted Tate to win. I hate Ronda, sorry. And now we won't hear the end of her for a long, long time methinks.
_________________
Passive-aggressive complainee wrote:
Communicating exclusively in gifs makes you the most annoying mod ever

Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:26 am
Posts: 157
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:32 am 
 

Rousey really needs to work on her striking. Those punches from mount were laughable. Sick armbar though. It was really Miesha Tate's fault for getting put in that position. Really bad idea to go and clinch with a Judo expert.

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:23 pm 
 

(In my best Mike Goldberg voice) And Here. We. Go!!!!

Attachment:
photo.JPG


Hopefully I get to watch a Diaz bro get choked out live and in person.
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm
Posts: 2145
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:08 pm 
 

If you're lucky you might even see him retire.

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:51 pm 
 

Oh Ubereem, I am disappoint...
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
SangreV
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 pm
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:57 am 
 

Why is anyone surprised when guys test positive? Most high-level fighters are pumping tons of supplements, enhancers of various kinds, and steroids into their body. The fact that most guys test negative around the time of the fight hardly means anything, as people should know, it would certainly be of great benefit to take steroids during training to push oneself further, and maximize the benefits that a greater training output will provide and and/or to heal injuries faster.

Not to spout conspiracies but I don't doubt that most guys are on something. Not to mention, the higher up you go, the greater the resources you have at your disposal to take, or mask what you are taking.

That being said, testosterone levels vary from individual to individual and for many reasons, so this different from testing positive for a banned substance.

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:50 am 
 

SangreV wrote:
Why is anyone surprised when guys test positive? Most high-level fighters are pumping tons of supplements, enhancers of various kinds, and steroids into their body. The fact that most guys test negative around the time of the fight hardly means anything, as people should know, it would certainly be of great benefit to take steroids during training to push oneself further, and maximize the benefits that a greater training output will provide and and/or to heal injuries faster.

Not to spout conspiracies but I don't doubt that most guys are on something. Not to mention, the higher up you go, the greater the resources you have at your disposal to take, or mask what you are taking.


It's not that I'm surprised per se, just disappointed that this fight is likely scrapped. I get what you’re saying here about "everyone is likely on something", but that doesn't excuse anything. Overeem was unfortunately seemingly (with the information available thus far) in the wrong here, and he'll likely pay the price in a possible suspension and a loss of a title shot.

Quote:
That being said, testosterone levels vary from individual to individual and for many reasons, so this different from testing positive for a banned substance.


I get this. Not all of the facts are out there. His "B" sample may come back clean, plus there might be a carbon isotope ratio test administered (to determine if the high testosterone is synthetic or natural). At this point, Overeem has NOT officially been popped for steroids.

However, it looks like the 146 card is already in motion to be shuffled about, with the rumored bouts being JDS/Mir, Cain/Bigfoot, and Roy/Mitrione. So it is looking very likely at this point that JDS/Overeem is off, which is a drag.
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
g_k
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:35 pm
Posts: 746
Location: NEBRASKA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:00 pm 
 

is anyone really SHOCKED that ubereem got popped, i'm personally not, but i'm still disappointed.
_________________
My Last.FM recommend me nearly anything!

Top
 Profile  
SangreV
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 pm
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:55 pm 
 

Well, I'm not shocked when anyone tests positive for steroids or elevated testosterone, but specifically regarding Overeem:

People are always quick to to compare a before and after picture but the thing that people forget is that he used to fight at 205, and wasn't quite as body/health conscious as he is now. Just imagine what he would look like today if he dropped 40-50 pounds; that's obviously a lot of muscle!

And yah, I was really looking forward to Overeem/Dos Santos so that is indeed a drag if the fight is off.

Top
 Profile  
SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:26 am
Posts: 157
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:13 pm 
 

FirebathDan wrote:

Hopefully I get to watch a Diaz bro get choked out live and in person.


Lol u mad bro?








Seriously though, there was no way in hell he was getting submitted. Nate was tapping out black belts when he was still a brown belt. Awesome performance from Nate. Jim Miller is a great fighter but he had nothing for Nate. It was obvious his Jiu-jitsu game is on another level than Miller's. Not to mention his striking. Don't think he has what it takes to beat Bendo though.

Top
 Profile  
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm
Posts: 2145
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:07 pm 
 

Quite a disappointing event for me. Pat Barry was one arm movement away from winning, but alas he didn't pull it off (or rather, push) and I think he got too discouraged after it which led to his loss. The Palhares fight was quite intense at first with the leglocks and Belcher going for some cool 10th PJJ moves, but... What happened in the guard? Did Palhares just sit there staring at him and allow himself to be pummeled like that? Looked very strange.

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:25 pm 
 

SymposiumOfSickness wrote:
Lol u mad bro?

Seriously though, there was no way in hell he was getting submitted. Nate was tapping out black belts when he was still a brown belt. Awesome performance from Nate. Jim Miller is a great fighter but he had nothing for Nate. It was obvious his Jiu-jitsu game is on another level than Miller's. Not to mention his striking. Don't think he has what it takes to beat Bendo though.


Too funny.

I concur that-and I noticed this right off the bat when the fight started-Miller was just in over his head against Diaz. My distaste for the Diaz bros is well documented here, but I'll give Nate his due-it was an outstanding performance. Plus, Nate doesn't strike me as an all out douche like his brother (more like a modicum of douchebaggery).

kingnuuuur wrote:
Quite a disappointing event for me. Pat Barry was one arm movement away from winning, but alas he didn't pull it off (or rather, push) and I think he got too discouraged after it which led to his loss. The Palhares fight was quite intense at first with the leglocks and Belcher going for some cool 10th PJJ moves, but... What happened in the guard? Did Palhares just sit there staring at him and allow himself to be pummeled like that? Looked very strange.


The Barry/Johnson fight was there to serve a lowest common denominator function; a sloppy HW slug fest to kick off the show and draw viewers in. In that light, the purpose was served. It was what it was; no sense in overanalyzing a fight with zero technique and title implications.

As for Palhares, I'm glad to see that hype train derailed. He's just an extraordinarily overhyped, very one-dimensional fighter. He basically gave up when he couldn't secure a leglock (partially, see also the Marquardt fight), and he's lost to every quality MW he's fought (Hendo, Marquardt, and now Belcher). It was quite a pleasure to see Belcher escape two leglock attempts, especially when the common belief is that no one can get out of Paul Harris' leglocks.

All in all, I had a fucking blast last night, but maybe that was simply the excitement the being there. In addition to what was mentioned, the flyweight fights were excellent, as was Delorme/Denis. Most other fights were decent to very good with only one real clunker (Castillo/Cholish, which was odd given Cholish's record). Disappointed that the crowd basically shit all over every fight if 3 seconds went by without someone swinging for the fences, but what can you do when the audience doesn't know what they're watching.

My view of the octagon:
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
g_k
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:35 pm
Posts: 746
Location: NEBRASKA
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:15 pm 
 

kind of thinking bendo will grapplefuck diaz if he beats frankie again(first fight was close, but i gave it to bendo easy).
_________________
My Last.FM recommend me nearly anything!

Top
 Profile  
g_k
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:35 pm
Posts: 746
Location: NEBRASKA
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:32 pm 
 

rooting for barnett, picking cormier.
_________________
My Last.FM recommend me nearly anything!

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:36 pm 
 

g_k wrote:
rooting for barnett, picking cormier.


As was I. Oh well. Cormier definitely deserved the win, but the whole HWGP concept was tarnished with injury delays, suspicious removal of a participant, and now the alternate winning it all (especially when it was murky who exactly the alternates were). Great idea by Coker, which ended up being horribly executed.

And now they're tying both Cormier and Barnett for the contractual "plus one" HW fights Zuffa/SF owes Showtime. IDK if that means a rematch, or if they're bringing people in for these fights. Ideally, they bring in some mid tier UFC HWs (i.e. Rothwell, Schaub, Nelson, Russow, or even Carwin) to get these contractually obligated fights over with and get both DC and The Warmaster to the UFC ASAP.

I guess I hate to be that guy, but LOL @ Nick Diaz.

My UFC 146 main card picks, cause why the fuck not?:

JDS/Mir: A deceptively hard one to pick. JDS KO/TKOing Mir on the feet is practically a given. Mir subbing JDS on the ground is almost as much of a sure thing (JDS is basically unproven on the groud). Can Mir get JDS down for the sub? I think he will. Mir
Cain/Bigfoot: Cain Velasquez uses his speed and cardio advantage to TKO Bigfoot.
Nelson/Herman: Big Country takes this one.
Del Rosario/Miocic: I have been more impressed with Shane Del Rosario, especially with his fantastic sub of Lavar Johnson last year. The long layoff could be a detrimental factor, though.
Johnson/Struve: Struve, despite being somewhat chinny, has more tools at his disposal to dispatch the one dimensional brawler in Johnson.
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
g_k
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:35 pm
Posts: 746
Location: NEBRASKA
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:22 pm 
 

same picks for me, except i think mir is getting tkoed, jds is too fast for him IMO and mir's takedowns have always been pretty mediocre.
_________________
My Last.FM recommend me nearly anything!

Top
 Profile  
SangreV
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 pm
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:59 am 
 

I think Cigano will TKO Mir too. I know his ground game isn't proven, but I've never really questioned it as I'm certain it's better than that of most heavyweights. I don't really give Mir a chance in this fight anyways, Cigano's takedown defense is excellent and I think Mir will have a difficult time securing the takedowns while he's eating shots because it's obvious Mir doesn't like to get hit and has a tendency to wilt under pressure. As long as Cigano doesn't gas out, I think it will be an easy night for him.

And I think Cain will run over Silva, via TKO. Silva has a huge head and his head movement is pretty awful so I think Cain land that big shot and absolutely crush Silva until the ref stops it. I think Cain looked awful against Dos Santos (likely due to injuries, he just didn't seem himself in that fight) so I'm really hoping the stars align a rematch is in order. It might seem like a controversial thing to say even with the loss against Dos Santos, but I think Cain is probably the real number one. Cain just needs to learn how to defend himself and not take unnecessary shots.

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:32 am 
 

See, I also agree with the sentiment that Mir is going to have trouble taking JDS down and that if kept on the feet, Mir is likely going to sleep. I'm still picking him because there are at least two instances in his career where he's readily taken a beating to get the fight to the ground (aka getting knocked down in the process) where the sub is then pulled off (see Lesnar 1, Big Nog 2). IDK if its a case of him feigning damage (JDS has actually alluded to this in recent interviews), if Mir is a bit more durable than we think, or just plain lucky. If this is in fact a deliberate strategy, then it's one teetering on the edge of genius and insanity, as it has at least backfired on him as many times at it has worked (see Lesnar 2, Carwin).

I just think that Mir is a bit craftier and durable than we give him credit for and will somehow survive an onslaught, get knocked down in the process, and catch JDS with a sub when he follows him to the ground to finish (similar to Fedor/Werdum). Then again, I've been terrible with picks lately, so what the fuck do I know :lol: ?

But obviously, it would be no surprise whatsoever if JDS KTFO Mir cold. It would almost be expected and anticlimactic at this point.

SangreV wrote:
I think Cain looked awful against Dos Santos (likely due to injuries, he just didn't seem himself in that fight) so I'm really hoping the stars align a rematch is in order. It might seem like a controversial thing to say even with the loss against Dos Santos, but I think Cain is probably the real number one. Cain just needs to learn how to defend himself and not take unnecessary shots.


I actually agree with this wholeheartedly. People are shitting on Cain because of the JDS fight, but in reality, that fight was way to short to truly be indicative of anything other than a lack of striking defense. I don't think Cain is glassjawed because JDS TKOd him with one punch; that would mean that the vast majority of the HW div is glassjawed as JDS has that one punch power. JDS landed a good shot and on that night, it worked for him. I think that had the fight gone on longer, Cain takes it easily via superior speed, cardio, wrestling, and GnP and I'm pretty convinced he'd beat JDS handily in a rematch.

I guess we'll see tomorrow though. Let's see how he deals with a 280lb+ Bigfoot Silva on top of him. Cain and Fedor are occasionally compared as having similar attributes and we all know what happened there.
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
SangreV
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 pm
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:05 pm 
 

FirebathDan wrote:
See, I also agree with the sentiment that Mir is going to have trouble taking JDS down and that if kept on the feet, Mir is likely going to sleep. I'm still picking him because there are at least two instances in his career where he's readily taken a beating to get the fight to the ground (aka getting knocked down in the process) where the sub is then pulled off (see Lesnar 1, Big Nog 2). IDK if its a case of him feigning damage (JDS has actually alluded to this in recent interviews), if Mir is a bit more durable than we think, or just plain lucky. If this is in fact a deliberate strategy, then it's one teetering on the edge of genius and insanity, as it has at least backfired on him as many times at it has worked (see Lesnar 2, Carwin).

I just think that Mir is a bit craftier and durable than we give him credit for and will somehow survive an onslaught, get knocked down in the process, and catch JDS with a sub when he follows him to the ground to finish (similar to Fedor/Werdum). Then again, I've been terrible with picks lately, so what the fuck do I know :lol: ?

But obviously, it would be no surprise whatsoever if JDS KTFO Mir cold. It would almost be expected and anticlimactic at this point.

SangreV wrote:
I think Cain looked awful against Dos Santos (likely due to injuries, he just didn't seem himself in that fight) so I'm really hoping the stars align a rematch is in order. It might seem like a controversial thing to say even with the loss against Dos Santos, but I think Cain is probably the real number one. Cain just needs to learn how to defend himself and not take unnecessary shots.


I actually agree with this wholeheartedly. People are shitting on Cain because of the JDS fight, but in reality, that fight was way to short to truly be indicative of anything other than a lack of striking defense. I don't think Cain is glassjawed because JDS TKOd him with one punch; that would mean that the vast majority of the HW div is glassjawed as JDS has that one punch power. JDS landed a good shot and on that night, it worked for him. I think that had the fight gone on longer, Cain takes it easily via superior speed, cardio, wrestling, and GnP and I'm pretty convinced he'd beat JDS handily in a rematch.

I guess we'll see tomorrow though. Let's see how he deals with a 280lb+ Bigfoot Silva on top of him. Cain and Fedor are occasionally compared as having similar attributes and we all know what happened there.



I definitely agree that Mir is one of the more intelligent fighters out there but Mir might only win if he surprises Dos Santos with a flying scissor heel hook or something ridiculous or if he's able to avoid damage until Cigano gasses because to be honest, I haven't really been that impressed with Dos Santos' cardio. In some of his fights too, Dos Santos' effectiveness as a puncher wore off as the fight went on. Although, Dos Santos likes to pick his shots so I think he should have Mir on life support before the fight hits the ground.

And I guess I kinda consider Mir lucky in those bouts. I think the first Lesnar fight was partially botched due to bad reffing and besides it was a very green Lesnar in that fight. And in the rematch against Nog, I think Nog's pride got the best of him as he was well on his way to pounding out Mir to a stoppage when he foolishly let up, and went for a submission.

And yes, it irritates me to no end when I hear people saying Cain has a glass jaw! Firstly, he didn't even get hit on the chin, and secondly, that shot would have knocked out anyone. And do people not remember when Cain steamrolled Kongo? Cain took blatant punches to the head from a seasoned kickboxer and although he was dropped like three times in that fight he was not even affected in the slightest when taking those punches as he was still completing takedowns and such; I remember that was incredible to watch and I think it only spoke volume about Cain's ability to take a punch. I favour a healthy Cain Velasquez over anyone out there.

Top
 Profile  
g_k
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:35 pm
Posts: 746
Location: NEBRASKA
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:46 pm 
 

sass'angle strikes again!
_________________
My Last.FM recommend me nearly anything!

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:31 pm 
 

Cain Velasquez is a fucking murderer! Next HW champ, no doubt! I don't even care about the main event tonight...that was intense!
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
SangreV
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 pm
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:11 am 
 

A murderer indeed, that was one bloody fight! But I'm not the least bit surprised, and that's that Silva is no joke either.

Can't wait for a Velasquez-Dos Santos rematch! As long as Cain can avoid those shots and wear out JDS in the process, I see him earning back that title.

Top
 Profile  
g_k
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:35 pm
Posts: 746
Location: NEBRASKA
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:15 am 
 

jds mir lasted longer than i expected, jds definitely took his time lol.
_________________
My Last.FM recommend me nearly anything!

Top
 Profile  
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm
Posts: 2145
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:17 am 
 

Monstrous performance. The look in Cain's eyes after the fight was scary as fuck, like he had some serious bloodlust.

Top
 Profile  
g_k
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:35 pm
Posts: 746
Location: NEBRASKA
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:19 am 
 

yeah cain crushed bigfoot..i wish bf could have seen a little more to make it a little harder, don't think the outcome would have been different.
_________________
My Last.FM recommend me nearly anything!

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:32 am 
 

As for the main event, that was nothing unexpected. I thought Mir had a good shot if he could somehow get it to the ground, but I knew in my heart of hearts that he was getting knocked out. Huge mismatch. Really wish it was Overeem; then the fight might have had some intrigue.

Other thoughts:

-Always happy to see Big Country pull out the win. It's time for Roy to settle as a middle of the pack gatekeeper HW.

-Miocic looked excellent.

-Teixeira is a beast.

-Sassangle; good riddance. Fuck Volkmann.

-Struve: Nothing unexpected here.

-Nice work from Hardy and Varner. I'm warming up to Hardy.

LOL @ basically the whole undercard being aired on the PPV.
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group