* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Satanic_Skinhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:00 pm 

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla ... mID=170415

INQUISITION Signs With SEASON OF MIST - Feb. 28, 2012
Black metal powerhouse INQUISITION just inked a deal with Season Of Mist. The Americans' sixth album will be released on the Underground Activists division.

Commented INQUISITION frontman Dagon: "For many years INQUISITION has loyally walked upon the path of black metal deeply devoted to its spirituality and magic while growing and maturing our craft, yet always preserving the essence that ignited us since our beginning, always keeping us rooted in the elements that make us what we are now and who we were in the past. Time is relativity and this relativity is affected by choice and selection during our time of existence as INQUISITION. Therefore, our careful choice of a new label as a means to take us further into our journey, and your journey, extending this path we walk upon into deeper dimensions and allowing us to heighten our potential will be placed in the hands of Season Of Mist. At this time we are heavily devoted to the composition and arrangement of our next opus. We know what we want, we know what you expect and we look forward to 2012 being the year of creation and production of this upcoming ritual. With pride we announce this new relationship and with pride we will continue to deliver INQUISITION at its finest."

According to the band's official bio, INQUISITION's style of black metal involves slow, deep and dark riffing combined with sudden tempo changes to faster sections based around blast beats and high-speed riffing; at times adding melodic solos. The classic INQUISITION sound involves the combination of old-school thrash metal-influenced riffs with darker and more chaotic black metal, primarily involving fast, tremolo picked minor-key guitar riffs, thus creating the trademark "INQUISITION sound."

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:42 pm 

After seeing them live twice, they've become probably my favorite live act, and I look forward to every release. Cool.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:20 am 

This band can do no wrong in terms of recording and are easily one of the greatest black metal bands in existence today. Hopefully, the band's next album will even beat Ominous doctrines in terms of sheer riffs and atmosphere.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:30 am 

I'm tossing up whether to see these guys in June, I think a lot of the music is cool, as weirdly shifting in style as it is, but the vocals are the laziest and shittiest things I've ever heard.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:43 am 

They put on an AMAZING live show. It's hypnotic, entrancing and just pure magnificent evil. I saw an interview with Dagon where he talked about his desire to have the crowd experience something real and emotionally affecting, and he totally succeeds at that goal.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

googens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:50 am 

Don't have the slightest clue if this will change any of their music, nor do I care, as long as they keep doing what they do I'm happy.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:56 am 

Hope Seasons of Mist can get the go-ahead to reissue their entire back catalog. I love this band but I haven't got my hands on Nefarious Dismal Orations or Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer yet.

Oh and for lord_genghis: The one time I've seen them live the vocals were completely drowned out, so I wouldn't let that stop you.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:18 am 

This should do them alot of good. Can't wait for more Inquisition.

My Ebay Store

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:30 am 

Good for them.

I'm listening to NDC and I love it, but those vocals. Ugh, and I don't even have much of a problem with the vocals on the latest album. This band just begs for a real screamer instead of toad / half-assed vocals.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:16 am 

Veracs wrote:
This band can do no wrong in terms of recording and are easily one of the greatest black metal bands in existence today. Hopefully, the band's next album will even beat Ominous doctrines in terms of sheer riffs and atmosphere.

One of the best black metal bands ever i think. Their entire catalog is worthy. The latest album is a modern classic of the genre.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:17 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I'm tossing up whether to see these guys in June, I think a lot of the music is cool, as weirdly shifting in style as it is, but the vocals are the laziest and shittiest things I've ever heard.

Worth going to see Vomitor anyway right?

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:21 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
This band just begs for a real screamer instead of toad / half-assed vocals.

I think Dagons vocals suit the vibe of the music. Can't really imagine it sounding any other way. I can't be the only person who thinks this haha.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:29 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

I think Dagons vocals suit the vibe of the music. Can't really imagine it sounding any other way. I can't be the only person who thinks this haha.

Nah they are perfect the way they are. It's insane to think they need to change that.... why don't you just strip away part of what makes them so unique? nah that's just pure rubbish. Vocally they are great and if you see them live you get it, plain and simple.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:44 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

When I first started listening to them I was the same way. Thinking to myself, "The music is so great, WHY can't they just have typical BM vocals!?!?" But at some point I became addicted to the toad/robot/duck/chant vox and see now I was foolish for wanting anything else!

Boudica
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:54 am 

I thought his vocals were odd too when I first started listening to them but now I seriously can't imagine them sung any differently, they really are awesomely unique.

Oh and I saw this on wiki "Dagon's voice is rather monotonous, with the intention of inducing a trance-like feeling. Dagon has said that the vocals he expresses are not to reflect that of a human, but rather that of an unseen entity in demonic form and screaming or shouting will not connect the message correctly"...now if that's not black metal than I don't know what is :headbang:

Boudica
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:01 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

I am so all over this show, can't wait!!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:28 am 

I will be acquiring their new album, and I think I'll go to their show if they ever decide to come to Finland.

Since the band's name is Inquisition and all, I always imagined Dagon to be some corrupt cardinal, or such, spouting blasphemies. :lol:

Rotting_Christ_Mike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:10 pm 

The latest album was actually my in my top 3 of all of Inquisition's albums. Can't wait for this one. And the vocals suit the music perfectly.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:19 pm 

You guys seriously can't imagine having actual screams ala Gorgoroth's pest over thrash / black riffs? It isn't THAT far off or insane to think that.

Don't even take this as me attacking the band. I love the music, but a different vocal style would do just as well complimenting the music.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:30 pm 

No. I honestly can't imagine what it would sound like with Pest instead of Dagon. It would probably still rule because the music itself is awesome regardless, but while it took a bit for me to get into them, now I can't picture any other vocalist fitting the music as perfectly.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:32 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
You guys seriously can't imagine having actual screams ala Gorgoroth's pest over thrash / black riffs? It isn't THAT far off or insane to think that.

Don't even take this as me attacking the band. I love the music, but a different vocal style would do just as well complimenting the music.

Pest or Hat on Pentagram would be great choices. I could deal with it.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:36 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:

I can imagine it, yes, but the truth is it just wouldnt' sound as good/like Inquisition to me, and I suspect, others who have grown to love the vocals, too. I think Kraken's got it; you might not think the vocals would work so well in a live environment, but oh, they damn well do.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:36 pm 

I'm firmly on the side that believes the vocals are integral to the mood of the music. It's supposed to sound like he's hypnotized by the powers of Satan, and I think they definitely accomplish that. Aside from that, it's just a good way to set themselves apart.

But for those of you who are interested in hearing them with Dagon doing more standard BM vocals: Grab the split with Profane Creation. It's the Incense of Rest EP with an additional song tacked on. They were starting to move away from their thrash sound by this point although they hadn't quite emerged as a full fledged and unique black metal entity yet. Anyways, the vocals are just your standard black metal rasp. Considerably more boring if you ask me...

See for yourself...

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:11 pm 

I used to hate Inquisition's vocals and thought they brought down the whole experience, but the more I listened, the more Dagon's delivery drew me in. It creates the kind of hypnotic, otherworldly effect that most black metal bands can only dream about crafting. It doesn't hurt that the band has riffs for days, but the vocals go a long way towards crafting the kind of mood that Boudica quoted from Dagon earlier in the topic.

On-topic, I'm glad if this means that this deal will make the CDs sandwiched between their debut and Macocosm easier to find.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:15 pm 

Rotting_Christ_Mike wrote:
The latest album was actually my in my top 3 of all of Inquisition's albums. Can't wait for this one. And the vocals suit the music perfectly.

Top 3 out of 5 total? That "best of" group consists of the majority of their catalogue. :P

Metalmeistermms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:20 pm 

Great news for a great band. It's cool to see that this bands gets more and more recognition for their unique brand of black metal. Just got my ticket for their gig at Baroeg in may. Can't wait to see them live and really looking forward to another great release by them.
Awaiting our reign

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:44 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

Vomitor were cool when I saw them open for Destroyer 666, kind of got over shadowed by them and Nocturnal Graves though. Also they were kinda drunk.

On the subject of the vocals, I'd have no isses with the ribbeting vocals (It's too clean to call a croak) if they weren't so fucking half assed. He's basically just just talking with a stupid frog voice, I'm not saying they'd need a generic delivery, if he simply put even the slightest amount of force behind them, and went from something like Attilla's efforts for Anaal Nathrakh, or just a full of frog noise like Demilich or Thergothon, but instead he just moans disinterestedly with the horrible ribbet noises. Obviously he lacks the raw talent to compete with those, but he could at least try to not sound so bored.

Germaniac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:45 pm 

I really don't understand how is it "half-assed", or "not trying" just because he's not going for a "powerful" delivery, but trying (and succeeding) on purpose to to get a cold, unemotional, an "inhuman" sound? Like many else, I think they fit perfectly and are a part of the uniqueness of INQUISITION. In fact, the vocal delivery was something that first got me drawn towards the band when I first heard Invoking The Majestic Throne Of Satan almost ten years ago.

Last edited by Germaniac on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:46 pm 

Germaniac wrote:
I really don't understand how is it "half-assed" just because he's not going for a "powerful" delivery, but trying (and succeeding) on purpose to to get a cold, unemotional, an "inhuman" sound? Like many else, I think they fit perfectly and are a part of the uniqueness of INQUISITION. In fact, the vocal delivery was something that first got me drawn towards the band.

Because someone might enjoy powerful delivery and not enjoy an overtly dispassionate one.

Germaniac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:48 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Germaniac wrote:
I really don't understand how is it "half-assed" just because he's not going for a "powerful" delivery, but trying (and succeeding) on purpose to to get a cold, unemotional, an "inhuman" sound? Like many else, I think they fit perfectly and are a part of the uniqueness of INQUISITION. In fact, the vocal delivery was something that first got me drawn towards the band.

Because someone might enjoy powerful delivery and not enjoy an overtly dispassionate one.

And someone may enjoy both, and understand that different styles try to portray different emotions and it doesn't mean the other one is not trying hard enough.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:58 pm 

Let me put it this way. The band Cobalt has a similar vibe to Inquisition. Cobalt's singer has a very rough growl and a raspy as hell screaming style that are very sadistic. Listening to these two latest Inquisition albums over and over again, like I have the past 2 days, Cobalt vocals would, to me, work better than the "woowwwuuuu wowwwuuu wowuuu" toad speaking. It works, but so could something else. I just tend to think that the music is versatile enough to be able to handle to different vocal styles, and I prefer the other one.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:02 pm 

Germaniac wrote:
And someone may enjoy both, and understand that different styles try to portray different emotions and it doesn't mean the other one is not trying hard enough.

The vocals may strike to some as incongruous considering the band's musical extremity and the stale nature of the vocals, and hey, they may sound flat out boring to some. A throat-shredding scream is a far cooler sound than Inquisition vocals.

Personally I think they are fine, but I would prefer some variety.

Germaniac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:16 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Germaniac wrote:

The vocals may strike to some as incongruous considering the band's musical extremity and the stale nature of the vocals, and hey, they may sound flat out boring to some. A throat-shredding scream is a far cooler sound than Inquisition vocals.

I realize this and it's not a problem for me if somebody thinks they are boring, and why should it even be. People have their own preferences. I was more trying to discuss the fact that just because someone is not screaming aggressively, doesn't mean he "is not putting any effort" or "doesn't have the talent". But I think this is starting to go in circles here.

jameswolfe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:26 pm 

This is the beginning of the end for the band. It wont be long and SOM execs will be like "Yeah, we would prefer that you change the vocal style just a touch to make the music more accessible to the majority of bm fans"

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:37 pm 

Germaniac: I get what you're saying, but due to the vocals' unintensive nature I don't really have trouble imagining why some consider them half-assed. Screaming with all you've got is pretty much the way to sing in a black metal band, so as to complement the intensity of the music. The calm nature of the vocals is quite incongruous even if Inquisition does not represent the fastest and most brutal forms of black metal. I do think it's a knee-jerk reaction, however, to write them off as boring and tame. There are indeed some things that Inquisition's vocals can convey, as you said, that regular BM stuff can't.

jameswolfe wrote:
it wont be long and SOM execs will be like "Yeah, we would prefer that you change the vocal style just a touch to make the music more accessible to the majority of bm fans"

And that will kill the band?

BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:07 am 

Inquisition fucking rules

BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:09 am 

BottomFeeder1 wrote:
Inquisition fucking rules

I find the vocals kind of cruel sounding personally they're unwavering in the way they are delivered and they sound heartless in the most unkind of ways.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:45 am 

Well ticket has been bought, so I've got like 3 months to get to appreciate these vocals more. At this time it still sounds some guy talking+ribbeting, about as atmospheric and inhuman as watching the news with the sound cutting out because of interference. But time will tell.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:57 am 

Yo, don't put your phone so close to the speakers. :P

AnyF, you'll get used to the burping.

FloristOfVampyrism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:32 pm 

If anyone wants their "Dismal.." or "Magnificent..." CDs they are available from:

www.emeticrecords.com

They're excellent

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next